IDDQD: God Mode Announced

By Adam Smith on December 21st, 2012 at 9:03 am.

Atlus have released a video to promote their new title, God Mode, which doesn’t look entirely dissimilar to Serious Sam and Painkiller. They player, armed with guns rather than swords, is marching through Hades killing hordes of monsters, accompanied by a spirit guide whose running commentary made me hate the very concept of audio before the end of the minute long trailer. He does have one good line though, describing the setting of Hades as “Hell in a toga”. Is that actually a good line? How low are my standards at 8:30 on a Friday morning? I’m eating a dry slice of bread for breakfast because I was too hungry to bother with spreading or toasting, and I’m perfectly content. That’s how low.

Is anyone working on No Clip Mode? Perhaps it could be a supernatural stealth game about a phantom thief.

God Mode supports co-op and is coming to PC and consoles, probably at a budget sort of price since it sounds like it’ll be download only on the latter. Expect it early 2013.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. lordcooper says:

Are we dead yet?

2. f1x says:

idclip on that clip, doesnt look bad

3. Cytrom says:

Such wasted potential…

The level design looks marvelous, but the gameplay, this terrible voice in the background, and the contrast between the world and the main protagonist just breaks the cohesion. Also, first person view would be much more appropriate.

• Askeladd says:

Consoles… I think I found the error in the design.

• CptPlanet says:

I personally love most ATLUS games and all of them are consoles games (with very few being published on PC). I don’t know if this looks good but I love their SMT series.

• rockman29 says:

Demon’s Souls is exclusive to PS3 and Dark Souls came out on consoles first. So I don’t know what you’re talking about.

• RakeShark says:

It’s really lacking any amount of speed, too. Given all that open area seen in the trailer, it seems like it’d take more than a minute to walk from one end to the other while firing that chaingun.

WALK! Don’t run, through Hell.

4. honuk says:

looks more like EDF than Serious Sam

5. Anthile says:

Anyone remember Will Rock?

6. Echo Black says:

…This game looks incredibly uninteresting

Edit: The VA reminds me more of Zigzag from Thief & The Cobbler than the Disney Hades proper

7. Azazel says:

I would definitely play Phantom Thief though.

8. Groove says:

Those standards are too damn low Adam.

• felisc says:

Indeed. He could at least slice a banana and smear peanut butter on that bread.

• Vorphalack says:

Too much effort. He should pulverise the banana with his fist and press the bread slice into the peanut butter jar.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

A down-and-out once got on my bus when I was younger. He had a bag of bananas, and in that way that only the finest piss-artist can, drunkenly went round the whole bus going DOYOUWANNABANANA? DOYOUWANNABANANA? DOYOUWANNABANANA? To everyone. He was sort intimidatingly friendly. No one wanted his bananas.

Eventually the driver got annoyed with him and asked him to get off, to which he replied it was his stop anyway and started towards the door. Just as we thought it was over, the drunk did a Columbo, and turned to the driver. A pause. DOYOUWANNABANANA? The driver closed the doors in his face. One-nil to the driver? I think not.

Not to be defeated in his fruit-based altruism, and displaying a dexterity unwarranted by his inebriation, the drunk deftly caught the yellow delicacy in between the safety flaps which separated the closing doors. Then he stumbled off. The driver looked at the suspended foodstuff for what seemed like an age, gave the inimitable British ‘tut’, and then drove 300 yards down the street. With a banana sticking out of his bus.

The mild look of persecution on the old lady’s face at the next stop when a tropical fruit inexplicably fell at her feet was priceless.

True story.

9. ran93r says:

Did they run Christopher Biggins through a filter for the announcer voice?
    The action looks fun though.

• Bracknellexile says:

It sounded more like some terrible Fly-esque merging of Stewie and David Walliams to me.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Its like the casting director couldnt find a narrator, took his kids to a christmas pantomime for a break and said “EUREKA! THATS THE GUY!” when the Ugly Sister started monologuing

10. gravity_spoon says:

Adam at least you’re not eating cardboard that passes around as sandwich these days or drinking tea which is actually packaged drain water from last season’s rain.

11. Gap Gen says:

Like, the whole of hell in one very big toga, kinda like a huge sulphury circus tent? Cool.

12. DarkFenix says:

Looks like Painkiller meets Serious Sam with the fun removed.

13. Artista says:

Looks like we play as the bad guys from Rage.

14. int says:

God mode cheat in this game would make you mortal, yes?

15. Khalan says:

Sounds a bit like Pops from the Regular Show (my kids used to watch it!)

Want to hear bad material sound good? Look up George Takei reading 50 Shades of Grey. Oh myyyy…..

16. b0rsuk says:

Combat looks anemic. Lots of projectiles and flashy effects which don’t have much impact on player or enemies.

17. Moraven says:

Looks fun in a Alien Swarm/Smash TV co op way.

18. baziz says:

Is the guide voiced by Hedonism bot? http://i.imgur.com/ksOgp.jpg

19. waaaaaaaals says: