Oh Thank Goodness: Far Cry 3′s Interface Patch Is Out

By Nathan Grayson on December 22nd, 2012 at 11:00 am.

The break’s nearly upon us, and the news has already fled into its cozy hibernation hole to avoid the harsh shifts in weather and people caring. So now I’m going to tell you about some patch notes, because they’re all that’s left in this desolate winter wonderland. Fortunately, Far Cry 3‘s brought a fairly sizable bounty of improvements back from its latest bug hunt, and it even managed to bag the big one: notifications. Yes, you can finally banish those loathsome pop-ups from Jason’s face.

So yes, notifications can now be toggled off and on, but unfortunately, you can’t go entirely HUD-less just yet. The minimap – useful yet obstinate in a donkey-like fashion, aka the only creature you can’t kill in Far Cry 3 – persists regardless of any protests. At least, for now, anyway.

Beyond that, there’s a veritable laundry list of house-keeping in this one. For instance, single-player supports DLC now. I didn’t know it was incapable of that before, but hey, the more you know. Meanwhile, Ubisoft squashed a rather alarmingly sizable swarm of bugs. Thankfully, the bulk of fixes pertain to smaller things, so the game wasn’t secretly broken all along or anything like that.

It’s available now. I just told you about patch notes. Alright then, I think I’m done.

, .

1. -Spooky- says:

Thanks for the infos. :)

2. Jnx says:

I was massively disappointed by not being able to remove the actual HUD yet. Hope they add that option. The popups were annoying sure, but the HUD is a problem.

• Cytrom says:

Yeah, knowing how much ammo you have, whether you are dying or fully healthy is so UNREALISTIC, and immersion breaking

/sarcasm

• Paul says:

Ammo and health should display contextually like it was in, you know, FarCry 2.
        Minimap is useless completely and should have been toggleable at launch, as should all the other worthless “game for chimpanzees” options.

• demicanadian says:

You know, removing minimap would require to add map item, like in FC2. Which would be wonderful IMO

• Uncompetative says:

I liked the way you could check the map item whilst driving in Far Cry 2. This would have been possible on the 360 if Ubisoft had rearranged the controller layout somewhat:

Swap (LS) click with [RB] and make [LT] show the map item when [RB] is held.

i.e. you can’t fire your weapon whilst sprinting, so use the Right Bumper for a Sprint mode that activates when you push forward with the Left Thumb Stick – similar to Frontlines: Fuel of War. Grenades are then thrown by looking at a target with the Right Thumb Stick and clicking the Left Thumb Stick button. The Left Trigger could raise your weapon from your hip stance for Aiming unless you are holding down the Right Bumper, in which case the Left Trigger progressively raises the map item into your field of view, getting ever larger the more you squeeze the trigger.

Further refinements would include removing the camera and moving the Rock Throwing onto the Back button, thereby freeing up 4 slots on the D-Pad for crafted syringes – double the restrictive number in the game currently. I’d also like (B) and (RS) click swapped, so that crouching was more like Battlefield 3 and Melee attacks were on the red face button. Maybe (A) could swap with [LB] to make it more like Halo 3′s Bumper Jumper control scheme, with (A) being held to show the inventory with choices being made via the D-Pad.

I found the game lacked the element of discovery: every flower was signposted, every animal corpse flashed unrealistically. Clearly, some NV / IR / AR glasses could have been worked into the inventory, or make it so the map item was a PDA / Phone with a special camera built in to it. Context areas for opening a treasure box were too small and it was folly to use (X) to loot a body and swap your weapon for the enemy’s. Climbing a tower would have benefited from only displaying a ‘Climb’ prompt when you were actually looking up at the climbable ledge. Conversations with villagers and rescued Rakyat would reveal the verbal description of the location of relics which would be appended to a running adventure log of things to be done.

Really, the map screen is the worst thing about this game as the early requirement for near constant referral to it breaks the immersion. A zoomable overview supporting fast travel could have been offered via the Start button as with GTA IV.

However, these are all minor criticisms of the best FPS Adventure of this year.

• Zogtee says:

Jnx wanted to remove the HUD. He said nothing about realism or immersion.

• MattMk1 says:

But you see, it’s not about gameplay, or immersion… It’s about being able to eradicate design elements made for troglodyte console gamers, and feel superior. :)

• mwoody says:

Knowing how many bullets you have left is a console thing?

• RizziSmoov says:

Knowing how to insert a graphics card into a motherboard makes you psychic.

• PatrickSwayze says:

Sucks that you must feel so inferior to everyone and everything in the rest of your life

• PsychoWedge says:

IMHO UI customization is something that every single game out there should have. Especially open world titles. I was more annoyed by FC3s UI than by Dragon Age: Origins’s UI e.g. and the DA:O UI ten times worse than anything FC3 throws at my eyes. I modded the fuck out of my interfaces in Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas and I always do given the chance.

I am not talking about WoW-style customization btw. I am talking about making every single UI elements de-/activatable.

• Arglebargle says:

UIs should be set up so that anyone can customize them to their preferences. Barring some actual gameplay need for them to be a particular way. Designers can set up a GUI however they think it’s the best, but let me change it to what I think is the best for me.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Or maybe he just wants to be able to take screenshots without the HUD. Quite a common featur in games for that very reason.

• horsemedic says:

The minimap showing you the location of every enemy and plant is unrealistic and immersion breaking.

3. MayhemMike says:

Still keeps on crashing for me. *sad_pandaface*

4. mckertis says:

“Yes, you can finally banish those loathsome pop-ups from Jason’s face.”

That is not even enough to call a patch !

cqdemal says:

I don’t want the minimap to go away, but there should be an option to resize it.

6. Nameless1 says:

Too late.

• Gonefornow says:

It’s never too late.
      I, for one, am going to play this game in the year 2025 when they have combined Farcry 2, 3 and 4 into a single world touring adventure with dynamic content and absolutely no linear stories.

So if they add more options now it’s all good practice for the real thing.

7. Axess Denyd says:

Wow, there are a surprising number of typos in their patch notes.

Also, I freaking love this game. I am actually happy I preordered, which doesn’t happen much.

8. HilariousCow says:

Had another good go yesterday, this time with the patch. Way less obnoxious. A greatful change.

You still get weird HOLY SHIT HOLLYWOOD sound effects for picking up flowers, but apart from that, cool!

9. judge_za says:

The thing that annoyed me the most was the glowing plants and glowing dead animals.

10. IgnusDej says:

Did that also fix a graphics bug that appears with GTX600 cards?

• mwoody says:

That’s a failing or overheating card, not a game issue.

• fish99 says:

I’ve seen that sort of issue in a number of games over many years and it’s always hard to pin it down. Often just uninstall and reinstall video card drivers will fix it (or update to new version), and if that does nothing try reinstalling the game (or verifying the game assets if UPlay can do that). It could also be overheating, overclocking, bad ram, bad vram etc, or just a rare bug (check nvidia forums for issues with 600 series and FC3).

• Absurdo says:

It is as if the weapon you’re holding gets corrupted. Odd. Got this bug with the 1.04 patch patch on a gtx 560 TI. Playing on latest Nvidia drivers. The solution until it gets fixed is to revert to DX9.

I got this bug also with Battlefield 3, and it was a driver/game issue. Took a good time to get fixed :P

11. xGryfter says:

Some of you guys may be interested in this article http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/21/far-cry-3-mods-best/

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

I’m hoping for the patch that removes all the bits of the game that suck (about a third then)

Also that weapon bug where your equipped items defaults back to your original loadout even if you pick up a different weapon

• Runs With Foxes says:

Remove all story missions and add the ability for different factions to battle over the outposts, and the game would suddenly be a whole lot better.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I like the more open mapped missions, but yeah cut out the rubbish and leave something to do.

• horsemedic says:

I really hope someone can mod that in. Hell, I’d even pay $15 for a DLC that made the baddies attempt to recapture outposts now and then. Liberating those things is by far the funnest part of the game.

Siresly says:

so the game wasn’t secretly broken all along or anything like that.

Tell that to the glitch that removes your camera, which is required to complete story missions. :(

According to Ubisoft support there’s no plans on addressing that yet. Or at least they haven’t been told about it if there are.

14. horsemedic says:

Good start. Now give us an option to remove the minimap and that godawful camera tagging that saps the suspense out of every firefight.

• mwoody says:

I don’t mean this directed specifically at you, or to be insulting or snarky, but literal: At some point, it’s time to just acknowledge you don’t like the game. There’s enough out there that if you don’t enjoy one of the fundamental gameplay aspects of combat, it’s time to just move to more simulated (as opposed to arcade-y) FPS.

What’s more, you can turn off the auto-marking from guns, and you can just not use the camera (the sights on a sniper rifle work just as well). Which would mean you’d never mark an enemy, and never see them through walls. How is that different from what you ask?

ffordesoon says:

I’m always astonished by how many people seem to completely ignore the options menu before complaining that there aren’t enough options.

I’m not even being snarky; I’ve done that many times too. It’s just odd.

• Correa says:

Actually even if you turn off everything in the options, the game still shows the whereabouts of the enemy on the mini-map and where they’re aiming towards. And still shows the enemy through objects once spotted. I still see the AI through huts or standing outside of them waiting on me to appear before moving outside. It’s as step up from the AI in the second that would be constantly firing at your position no matter what was in between you.

Also the idea of not using the camera is ridiculous in it’s own merits. So the player has to gimp themselves in not trying to look at range at enemy positions and memorise them before going into fight but run head long into them? Hardly a solution is it? And don’t say use a sniper rifle as you don’t get one of them right at the start either :)

Some actually toggleable options would be most welcome and that the difficulty levels had a real impact in levels of what is shown to the player and what is not.

15. Joe The Wizard says:

I am having real performance issues after this update. I start the game and it runs nicely for about 40 seconds, then the framerate dips by half for no good reason. I’ve quit and restarted the game a number of times, and the issue is pretty consistent. It used to run silky smooth pre-patch and now it chokes. Nothing else at all has changed.

Is anything else experiencing this?

• Correa says:

Sadly not, I too have noticed the big performance hit with the 1.04 patch when it was running very smooth beforehand.

16. RegisteredUser says:

Now it just needs to run half as fast as games looking twice as pretty on my 5770 and allow anytime saves(including in missions) and skipping missions and maybe it wouldn’t be such a complete turd of pure annoyance obstructing otherwise fine animal mutilation.

17. Screamer says:

JASONFACE!

18. GValer says:

thx god and developers :)

19. tet5uo says:

All devs need to take lessons from the Rift UI.

Every single element was re-locatable, re-sizable and toggle-able. Didn’t like the game that much, but I haven’t been that impressed with a UI’s flexibility in a while.