Magnificent & Important Advent Calendar: Bonus Door

By Cara Ellison on December 25th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Our Senior Scottish Correspondent makes a welcome guest appearance to talk about an important PC game that wasn’t in our just-concluded advent calendar, but perhaps should have been. This is also an ode to the mysteries and the magic of the device we choose to play our videogames on.

DOTA 2 is my game of the year. Go and play it with nine people you like, and, in the midst of your inevitable confusion, yell MERRY CHRISTMAS very loudly over voicechat and gift them all your stuff.

DOTA 2 takes a while to get into. It takes a while to learn. It takes a while to love.

DOTA 2 is 1% complete

DOTA 2 is downloading slowly on a laptop that isn’t mine. Outside snowflakes press themselves glittering onto the window panes, the head of someone else’s cat nuzzles my ankle, my life’s equivalent of Wallace Wells hangs baubles on a tree. I think of my PC back home, and how I am cheating on it out of lust for closeness. I am far from home, from both where my games are and where my heart is. Christmas will be lonely.

But there’s that memory of what it’s like. There are the voices for one. The cries of delight. The stern voices of anger. And then, there’s the grin in the dark. The ripples in the water. The cry of the wolf as night drops. People made that machine. People live in that machine. They are there now, with hands outstretched towards you.

DOTA 2 is 20% complete

My monstrous PC back home, with the crappy white monitor and the weird shaped mouse and the terrible, oversized, dusty keyboard. I think of the beautiful women my artist flatmate has painted on the wood of the desk my tower sits under, their faces distorted by my bills and uninstalled review copies of games years old and the time I spilt Shiraz on that pretty drawing’s legs.

I remember unscrewing the PC’s case and looking inside, afraid. It looked too complex, to a newbie’s eye. Explorers more audacious than I told me about it, how I’d learn, how I’d come to know the strands of that jungle and where they led, learn to trail my finger over the tangled cables to the source, wrench them out and plug them back in, how I’d get invested, lost, how my knowledge would increase with each turn of the screw, how my HDD would no longer be this abstract idea but tangible, tangible, an actual vault of items where all my thoughts and savegames are, a stacked panic room full of The Cure mp3s I no longer listen to and the most precious builds of indie games that are feelings and memories and thoughts and hours of button-click heart-wrench. Fuck, I didn’t know I loved you like this.

DOTA 2 is 40% complete

I remember from far away, it looked complex and terrifying. But one cannot go in alone. You must rub shoulders with the best ones you know to find the secret. The first of these was the Merlyn who dropped off a tower with a graphics card better than mine as if it were a broken-down car with no love in it left. “It isn’t Excalibur,” he said. “It has no magic in it.” This seemed matter-of-fact when uttered, but when taking it apart, gently hoovering its insides, squinting at the enraged fan on the PSU and earthing my fingers for static by stroking the copper pipe of a radiator, it was like an ancient ritual. I had journeyed over a threshold and I could see a glimmer of love. I was earning the right to occupy that space. Look at all these parts, I despaired. Screws and cables and metal boxes were a banquet across the floor. But I was thirsty.

DOTA 2 is 50% complete

You need ‘wingmen’, and like a winged creature she alighted on my doorstep, a soigné grin on her face, chipped nail polish and punk hair. “Teach me,” I said. She nodded and asked only for tea, no milk. Later, we would go on a quest to find a Phillips screwdriver. We trekked metres from my flat to the local Costcutter. “What do I get again?” I said, uncertain. “Where would it be?” I stood looking at a rack labelled “Household Items” for what seemed like an hour whilst people either rudely shoved past me or told me to move. Each object seemed occult in its way – there was a sewing kit with a rainbow of different threads, a hairbrush like a wand, is that Guinsoo’s Scythe? I lift it dreamily, and underneath, there is the Phillips, for 1 gold 89. Player 2 and I squeal in delight; the rest of the shop grumbles and carries on down the aisles of the shop as if automated.

DOTA 2 is 60% complete

By the light of the wolf-waking moon, I wrapped myself in a blanket and stretched my fingers whilst my instructor talked me through RAM and where it goes and which mythic places Merlyn had probably picked up his collection from. It felt like we were looking through his record collection as we laid it out in dust motes. We were archaeologists at work, blowing powder from hieroglyphs and coughing. At one point I produced a paintbrush to clean out the case. We smiled at each other whilst we worked in the city of dust. I think at one point I said, “I’m so excited,” though now that seems odd because the feelings are only remembered. It’s just a thing. It’s just a thing of many parts, and in many ways I still don’t know how it works. It is more doing than understanding. And yet my hands can feel what connection is right and what is not now. They understand, if anything. They just know. Fuck, I love you.

DOTA 2 is 70% complete

A computer is made of so many parts. The component parts are computers in themselves. There are many selections to be made, and many ways to put them together. Their complexity is staggering, and to previous generations, that can seem daunting, terrifying, prohibitive sometimes. But that complexity, ever increasing at every iteration, allows for the most beautiful things to be made or shown to us, be it music, visual art, scientific research. The unique flair on show can be breathtaking. The combination of this with the sprawling grace of the internet makes the personal computer the most powerful tool for communication we have ever made. Within a PC is an incredible orchestra of sounds, graphics, words, numbers and interactions that can have someone across the world connect headlong with you. To be able to reach across the heaving mass of the world and make someone who is alone smile, laugh, or feel their own value is something that has become of the utmost importance to me. It is in a small box under my desk.

DOTA 2 is 80% complete

The most important thing about DOTA 2 is the complexity of it. You could spend hours and hours devouring the literature and still never understand. It is so complex that even the greatest, most learned players still feel that there is more to the game that they could know. From afar, it is the tangled gut of a PC. But there is room for you to learn, and a slice of life will be hidden from you if you don’t. Many people have been here before. Those people will become important to you. Keep them close.

No, the most important thing is the history DOTA 2 is built on. Like computers, it has been engineered and tweaked through hundreds of fixes and balances and features, years of agonising and people complaining and testing. DOTA 2 is a strong and ancient behemoth: built on medieval foundations and rebuilt and fortified into a handsome castle so all encompassing and fancy you can see it for miles away.

It is constantly changing, fortifications are added, it is updated with the latest military equipment, always changing. It is tended by both professional and amateur staff, who know its odd quirks and winding corridors and ornaments and trap doors and workarounds and who talk of ‘jungling’ and ‘ganking’ and ‘denying’ as if everyone knew their secret language. They know the flair and showmanship that is available. They know about the new heroes approaching. They have seen everyone at their most vulnerable 1 health and that is why they are there. They know.

No, more important still is the capacity for ten players. It is a place for listening and for advice, particularly amongst players you know. It is a place to get the news. It is an important place to strengthen friendships and learn about yourself. Once you are in the machine, you are within the bosom of others who understand you and what your task is.

The task is hard, but it doesn’t negate the everyday. It is a game that becomes second nature through practice, but you can add your own hum and your own sentimentality to theirs. You add your own meaning to the tower you have just demolished. You can pretend it was that last problem you were solving at work that tomorrow you will have to tackle, and others will help you do it.

DOTA 2 is 90% complete

No. No no. The most important thing about DOTA 2 is the complexity of it, the ability to create moments and invest in them and talk about it with other people. When I opened up that PC, I did not care for it. I didn’t know what was in there, and I didn’t understand what it would enable me to do. But pull it apart, converse over it, talk about its foibles and how your first PSU can’t swap out the second broken one because of this dumb reason, go on a journey, participate in great raging triumphs – invest in its parts and how they fit together, the new iterations and the updates and downloads and ever changing surge of improvements to the topology. You can fall in love with your conduit to the world outside. Technology presents all of these possibilities for new shared moments. There never stops being something you can discover through others. Now I cannot stop thinking about how I will improve how my PC runs, about the next innovation. I think about improving myself. I think about improving my knowledge, my ties to the outside world. About knowing by doing.

DOTA 2 extends the PC’s reach. Only a PC could host a machine as complex and interesting and wonderful as DOTA 2. DOTA 2 is why the PC is great. It is the PC.

DOTA 2 is 100% complete

Seduced by possibility, I put my headset on and straighten my spine. I touch the unfamiliar keys: laptop keys – what are these flattened cubes? Who are you, I wonder, frowning at the dark, handsome, flimsy stranger. You feel strange to the touch. You are different. You are an electric current to nine other people’s hands, and four other people’s voices. Let’s go again. Let’s go. I’ll do it again.

Steam kicks me into a game, Skype yells ecstatic in my ears, and I smile because I am not alone. Neither are you.

Merry Christmas, RPS.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. HexagonalBolts says:

For anyone looking for a small friendly group of people to play with come join the RPS ‘Casual DOTA chums’ . 15-20 of us play daily and organise plenty of public and versus games. Come into any room on the RPS mumble with our members in and ask what’s going on or add me (hexagonalbolts) on steam and send me a message.

• khomotso says:

I’m intrigued, but fairly tentative about trying to connect with people until I feel I know which way is up. What’s a good way to get started?

• markcocjin says:

This connects you to everything. Literally, everything you’ll ever need. Before you ask anything in there however, read the right-side bar.

• catherinespencer4 says:

Many of us do not believe that he could work and profit from the Internet. I personally, at first I did not believe it . but when I made $76 /hr I knew it was not difficult. you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out…facebook Project

• HexagonalBolts says:

My advice would be to do some matches on your own with bots filling the other slots (they’re nowhere near as much fun as the real thing but great for learning) and do a little reading so that you have a comfortable idea of the item system and what a support and carry are. After that feel free to join in with any of us and we’ll take care of you during the match. I would advise playing with us or people you know over random people as they’re usually rather nasty! Feel free to message me if you’d like more advice.

• Carachan1 says:

Oh! And if you would like a DOTA 2 invite, of course you can have one from me. I’m Carachan1 on steam naturally, though I don’t know when I’ll be online this Christmas. But I so recommend playing with people that you know, even vaguely. It’s a nice tool for getting to know people (who aren’t dickheads).

• Kitsuninc says:

I would so dig there being something like this for non-european folks. Living in SEA West US is the only good server.

• jimangi says:

There are a number of American players in our group and they don’t seem to have too many problems connecting to the usual Europe West servers. People from everywhere are welcome. Just be prepared for a lot of people emanating self-loathing when they fail. Think of it as a friendly alternative to the usual hate you’ll get directed at you in public games.

• Kitsuninc says:

But I live in South East Asia, Taiwan specifically, which mean I get upwards of 300 ping to anywhere further northwest than the top of China, or further east than than the US. After testing, my ping to the Luxembourg server is a lot better than I expected (300/400 depending on whether it’s in-game or via console) but there’s loads of input lag.
          I guess this is more of an issue with the netcode than anything (High ping should NOT cause input lag) but it leaves me pretty limited.

• rockman29 says:

Joining right now.

Love Dota 2. An incredible game.

• Tom OBedlam says:

Yeah, everyone should join us because we’re awesome and friendly and great teachers and there’s a chance we might accidentally shout at you but we’ll apologise seconds afterwards. My steam name is TomOBedlam (I think). if there’s more than one with that name, my avatar is a bear tearing an atom apart with his bare hands.
      I’ve got a load of invites to give away if folks would like them.

• snioginsael says:

I have just sent you a friend invite on Steam. We could be friends! Or at least persons who give and receive beta access, which is even better from my perspective.

Jackablade says:

Doesn’t having a “nice friendly group” kind of defeat the purpose? I thought the entire point of DOTA was to shriek at your team mates until you lose your voice and the winner was decided by whoever can keep the flow of invective going the longest.

• Fenix says:

Can I join too? I am an RPS noob but a dota veteran, and kinda annoyed at having to play with 4 Russians in my team that I have to block after 5 minutes because as soon as they find out I don’t understand Russian they start shouting “FUCK YOU” in their lo-fi mics at me.

2. IneptFromRussia says:

Amen to that, brother. Long live the king of MOBAs. I play DotA almost ten years now, it definitely left its mark on me and somewhat shaped me as a person. Sometimes playing it feels like being a part of some sort of sadistic social experiment, sometimes it feels like the purest form of fun you can have in a video game, sometimes both of those things at the same time. Valve bet on a right horse, like they always do.

RedViv says:

I thought we had all agreed to use “LRPG” now, as in “Lane Role-y Pushy Games”.

• Eschatos says:

Nay sir, the proper title is “Tower Offense.”

• SF Legend says:

I think you’ll find that the correct terminology is “Aeon of Strife Style Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides”.

3. subedii says:

Whilst I can agree to DOTA 2, a part of me is still kind of surprised that Spec Ops: The Line wasn’t considered for the running. To me it was probably my GOTY.

Yeah I know, all lists are relative, but even if you didn’t like the story I felt like it did more than most games ever even attempt with their characters and narrative.

drewski says:

It was my GotY too, although I don’t play enough new games for that to mean much.

I was surprised it didn’t even get a mention.

• maximiZe says:

Wait, it actually wasn’t even mentioned? I thought it to be a total no-brainer so I didn’t double-check, but that’s a real bummer. Arguably this year’s most important game.

• Morte66 says:

Oh, what the heck. SO:TL intrigued me, now you’ve talked me into buying it in the steam sale.

It better be good buddy.

• Jad says:

Play it on easy. Or at least be willing to drop the difficulty down, because there are some brutal difficulty spikes near the end.

I thought it was brilliant, and an incredible oversight by RPS to have failed to mention. I would even accept a post explaining why they didn’t want to include it — there are certainly reasons to exclude it if you wanted to be very reductive about it — but for what is very possibly the most important game of the year to not even get noticed in the end of the year list is downright bizarre and really disappointing.

• mouton says:

Yup, no mention at all. I guess it slipped by most of the hive mind, which is very sad. There won’t be other games like that anytime soon, if at all.

drewski says:

I downloaded it the other day because for some reason Steam decided I could have it, even though I’ve never been invited.

I should try it, but I’ve heard scary things about MOBAs…

• lordcooper says:

Join the group HexagonalBolts mentioned. I’m a total newbie so you can probably beat me at least :)

• maximiZe says:

But Dota 2 is an ARTS.

• Hoaxfish says:

I saw that too… I ended up with “spectator only” mode since I hadn’t been invited etc.

• MikoSquiz says:

Doooon’t. Anyone whose response to “what should my first moba be?” is “DOTA2″ would also answer “what should my first FPS be?” with “Counter-Strike!”.

It’s a graphical update to a crude, ancient thing without any of this modern-day “polish”, “accessibility” or “acceptably human-usable interface”. Trying to deal with buying and equipping items alone is enough to make a grown man cry. The tutorial isn’t there. No help for you.

It’s a hermetically sealed, razor wire wrapped private club with a large and prominent “NO HOMERS” sign, but once you batter your way through the hard shell, bruised and bleeding, you’ll find a warm glowing core of angry bees.

I’ve installed it, and tried, and uninstalled it in not so much anger as cold loathing, three times. I’ve always felt cheated. I never paid anything, but I still feel like each attempt cost me something more than my precious time. They left bruises. A game has never been so openly hostile to anyone not already part of its secret society.

One day there will be a MOBA for the rest of us. (Awesomenauts is close, but it’s more of a whirled blend of genres with sprinkles on top, like a vanilla-strawberry ice cream with a bold dash of sea buckthorn. LoL is close, as long as you never play against humans and don’t mind a few hours of wiki perusal each time the champions rotate for the first year or so.) But not today. And maybe not this coming year.

And whoever tells you there is? That’s not your friend.

• Captain Joyless says:

The people you tried to play DotA2 with probably didn’t appreciate your flowery hyperbole.

It’s funny that people think they can just start playing a multiplayer game without being taught it. Have you ever played badminton or squash? Do you imagine you can just walk down to your local racquet club and begin playing one of those with zero introduction by another player? Or American football?

Why do people think they’re entitled to be served up an enjoyable (probably code for “victorious” and “affirming”, too) experience on a platter with zero investment? If you just want to feel good about yourself go watch Argo or play Doom with god mode on or something.

jrodman says:

It’s pretty shallow to say things like “sports take time to learn”. Anyone can relatively easily find out things like the rules to tennis. It’s learning how to do it effectively that’s the challenge.

Meanwhile videogames CAN be self explanative, there’s no reason in fact for them to not be, it’s just this one is bad. In that one way at least. There’s no reason for the shop UI to be as clunky as it is, though it’s definitely better than the DOTA (1?) incarnations. There’s also reams of things that aren’t written in any locatable manual. You can glean all the information on the official wikis and such and still huge gaps exist that you have to go digging into forums to find.

There’s definitely a big accessibility gap and it’s definitely a game flaw. And I’m not even talking about the complexity issues (which are a legitimate tradeoff) but rather just missing information, bad UI, and a completely poor first player experience.

That said, there are plenty of overly self-explaining games that are drek. So taking them as they come is a fair choice for a player to make.

• Kitsuninc says:

Certainly true, but I suspect that this is a temporary problem.

The existence of the ‘Learn to Play’ options, all greyed out, indicates to me that they have plans to make the game much more accessible, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I suspect it’ll be the last thing they do before finally bringing the game out of beta.

• Kitsuninc says:

Ignoring that you’re saying DOTA isn’t a very fun game…

You might as well start with DOTA. It would be easier to get into LoL, but the time you invest won’t help much when you make the jump, so it’s much more efficient just to start with DOTA unless you want to play both, which pretty much nobody on earth has the time for.

Like the other fellow said, DOTA is like a sport in real life. You don’t just jump into a game of it without having practiced it with nice people who won’t get mad at you, first, or at the very least without doing enough research that you know the rules.

• Dragon Master says:

Might I remind that there’s a reason it’s qualified under “beta” and also behind the silly tests Valve made at first to screen out the old players? It’s because you’re expected to know what are you doing to begin with. The reason Valve now hands out invites to everyone(especially to people already in) is only to get the rest of those who know the basics and want to play it but haven’t gotten in yet, as well as to invite new ones with the invites given to players already participating so if they are new, they’d have a friend who can teach them the ABC’s. So the accessibility is not hermetically sealed because nobody cares about you nor because it’s crude and ancient, it’s because you’re not supposed to be in the game at all. Not without expecting to outsource a lot if you’re alone and new. So either get a friend or learn the basics on your own but don’t bitch just because you don’t understand the meaning of beta or the reason why it’s still invite only despite most people who wanted one, having it.

5. caddyB says:

I don’t like the art direction so sadly I don’t play it. I used to play a lot of HoN too, but it sucks when your friends aren’t playing with you.

Talon says:

Thank you, Cara. Merry Christmas.

7. Mimir says:

I got a beta key for this yesterday, so this really spoke to my current experience. I had never played a MOBA other than Smite, and that one barely qualified and was terrible. Today, I watched a few videos and played three full bot-matches. I won the first two, on Easy and Medium. I lost on Hard.

Tomorrow, I’ll dive in to the Pub Servers. There’s really no point in practicing in an AI room, for this sort of game, once I know the difference between a Carry and a Support, and understand the general terminology. I know, now, what a “Last Hit” is, if not precisely how to achieve one at my leisure.

I would join the RPS group, but I’m on US West, alas.

• m0ntag says:

No troubles there, fellow ‘Murican! I’ve been with the RPS Steam group and it’s various offshoots for different games for over a year now and it’s never a problem! There’s a handful of other ‘Muricans and the schedules are not demanding. Can’t hurt to try.

AmateurScience says:

A lovely surprise present from RPS, thanks for another great year of great writing.

Thanks RPS

ThaRPS

PS isn’t it about time Cara ascended into the hivemind?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Perhaps she is not ready to leave the world of flesh behind her.

The call of the Hive Mind is strong, there can be no doubt. But who would forsake the beauty of a sunrise, the majesty of a sunset, and the refractions of light through a dewdrop on a rose petal? The limitless mental vistas of the Hive Mind are seductive, addictive. They are not for everyone.

When the applicant becomes the supplicant, they must forsake worldly trifles (and flans). When the supplicant becomes the initiate, the lithe nerve-probe tendrils of the Hive Mind breach the skull, and they seek out the warm brain-meats. At this point the process is irreversible. There is only progression – or death.

When the initiate becomes the acolyte, the leaching begins. A node begins to develop, and it broadcasts wordthinks of ecstasy and agony as its folds (its warm, inviting folds) mature and toughen to the texture of old leather. It is at this stage highly trained surgeon-technicians install the wireless adapter, the keyboard/mouse emulator, the Earl Grey injector, the biscuit simulator, and finally a gamepad is clamped under the node’s rudimentary tactile nubbins. Hive Mind nodes may get the Flare Path upgrade package, which includes joysticks, racing wheels, and a huge prosthetic moustache.

Perhaps the creation of the Hive Mind was the ultimate act of folly. Perhaps it will save us all. Perhaps it will simply be. We do not know – and we dare not ask.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

A goddamned extraordinary piece of writing (yet another from Cara, and one in the very finest tradition of the site). As with Jim’s work on Eve, so good I may try a game I’d never have thought to attempt otherwise. Loved this.

• Jim Dandy says:

Thanks for the beautiful article, Cara. Merry Crimbo to you and your’n.
      (convulsive pedantry: ‘for miles’ or ‘from miles away’?)

9. Vando says:

Argh Cara is right AGAIN. Especially that bit about grabbing nine friends: if you play this game with people of a fairly even skill level (and newbies are the easiest to ensure that is the case) who aren’t going to rage out like the Stereotypical MOBA Gamer, it’s just frantic, stupid, FUN.

All of the negative points about Dota stem from the people you’re playing with. Play with the right people, and it’s perfect.

Shockeh says:

Merry Christmas Carachan, and another great article to read. :)

I’ll join the RPS crew on DOTA with glee, and it’s definitely the game I’ve put the most hours into by a long way.

I do hope that once it’s ‘beta’ (ha!) period for Valve has elapsed, they’ll influence Icefrog into discarding the relics of the Warcraft 3 engine they’ve carried over; There’s a lot of aspects to the game that are simply needless confusion, especially for new players, and Valve are one of the best teams in terms of usability, so there’s something to hope for.

DOTA, we salute you.

• Carachan1 says:

Shockeh, I will always love you.

AND IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIeeeeeiiiiiiiiii will always loooooove yooooooooooouuuoooooooh iiiiiii will always love you

also DOTA

Merry Christmas! Long live the PC!

• Asurmen says:

Like what Dave? I’ve had Dota 2 for ages but I’ve never touched it so don’t really know how differs and what’s the same.

• Asuron says:

Won’t ever happen. Icefrog has the full say and he knows better than Valve what is best for the game. Besides if they did that they’d just alienate the playerbase, especially the Chinese playerbase who already had doubts based off of minor changes to how things worked in Dota 1. The Chinese market is important for Dota to succeed and they won’t be alienating them just to “modernise” Dota.

11. Kodo says:

This is kinda what CS:GO is for me. An obsession that had me enthralled for years, murdered and destroyed by CS:S, and risen from its ashes like the FPS phoenix that it is. It consumes me, defines me as a gamer, and god forbid tells me something of myself.

There’s nothing quite like these games – Dota 2, Starcraft 2, CS:GO, LoL, etc – something that not even an MMO can offer.

12. 28843253 says:

This one seems ripe for a GMM ;P

13. Orogenesis says:

I’m a new DOTA 2 convert…..so dense yet so rewarding, so addictive!

Lovely piece Cara

Faldrath says:

Whenever Cara writes about DOTA, I feel so compelled to install it and learn it… but I remember I simply don’t have the time for games like these anymore :(

(but thanks for another lovely article! Merry Christmas!)

15. Kitsuninc says:

I really hope we see a more casual or quick into the action type mode added to DOTA. If not something amazing like Dominion or Twisted Treeline in LoL, just an ARAM map would be lovely.

The holiday modes have been kind of quarterway there, except they haven’t really been refined or balanced in the slightest, and they’ve lost a lot of the ARTS charm. Plus they’re only up for a few weeks.

16. Shinwaka says:

Huzzah for Siouxsie And The Banshees!
    Tinderbox was such a great album, every song on there was awesome.
    Thanks for posting Cara!

17. Ryan Huggins says:

I didn’t know that DOTA 2 was this decent looking. I might actually even give this a try. Haha.

18. DerNebel says:

I honestly believed that this would be the game behind the 24th door. I know the venerable writers of this site haven’t really digged in to the imposing mountain of Dota 2, but they really should.

This game. This one game is PC gaming incarnate. It is a mod, built by the community, developed by multiple authors, smithed into an incredible rewarding experience of teamwork and tenacity. It defies convention after convention set by both the RTS and RPG genres and hammers them into a completely new genre of gameplay. It is a team game, like soccer, it is fast and competitive like Starcraft, it has the sense of progression seen in RPGs.

This game is love. It is the love of competition, of brutality, of the thrill of the arena. It is the love of complexity, of the interaction fo systems to make a game so complex that you need to play off your gut feeling, because there is no way you will ever fully assimilate all the raw information in time. Most of all though, it is love of community, which is ironic considering how many scumbags you will meet in game. The community made the game, the community played it, the community evolved it, and in every game you get a sense of communty, of common purpose with your team players.

I once saw a forum poster comparing League of Legends to a puzzle game where the teams are desperately trying to solve an exceedingly complex puzzle before the other team can do the same. The point is valid and harkens back to other PC titles. It is competitive Sim City, it is realtime, teambased Civilisation, it even resembles an X-com skirmish, where a human to take control of the aliens. In X-com, you feel loss when one of your men perishes to the aliens. A similar feeling exists in Dota 2, in the late game when you give up a critical kill, when you are forced to fight 4v5 for 90 seconds and the game steamrolls towards defeat.

And then the feeling passes, the game is over and you queue up again, you join the dance once more. Dota 2 is almost everything this site loves about PC gaming. It has peril, it has victories, it has emergent stories and it has loss. It is complex, it is diverse and it all sprang from a custom map almost nobody played, built in the Starcraft editor. If the hivemind, or indeed anyone reading this haven’t checked this game out yet, I urge you to do so should you ever get the chance. This chance would be if you know someone already playing this game. Get a group together and let him or her teach you the ropes. It really is the best experience.

2012 was the year this game really sprang to life after three short months of limited betatesting in 2011, and it is my game of the year bar none.

19. derbefrier says:

Thanks guys! Merry Christmas!

hmmm this was meant to go in the article with the free game. In my excitement I must have misclicked!!

20. JerrytheB says:

I was a huge DotA fan; I played the shit out of that game all through college. It was one of my first loves.

That said, I just can’t do DOTA 2. I’ve tried it, I’ve sunk about 10 hours into it, and the love affair is over. It’s not that I don’t like MOBAs, because I’ve had a lot of fun with League of Legends, but DOTA 2 just feels so archaic. There are so many mechanics that were awesome in 2002 that just ruin the gameplay experience by making it needlessly punishing. Denying is stupid, losing gold on death just makes the gulf further apart, having to trek back to base if you didn’t have the cash for a TP scroll just means you *aren’t playing the game* for longer, and the way it doesn’t reward assists encourages kill sniping and is just a much less intuitive, appreciable game.

League feels like a breath of fresh air to me after playing DOTA 2. Sure, it doesn’t have some of the more complicated mechanics but it has so many quality of life improvements that serve to make the genre needlessly more aggravating.

Plus, it doesn’t help that the game literally looks like a prettier Warcraft 3. You could have made Crystal Maiden look a little less like Jaina Proudmoore, guys.

I’m sorry, while I love this piece and thought it was beautifully written, I am so soured on DOTA 2 :(

• dmoe says:

“the game literally looks like a prettier Warcraft 3″

Have you seen WC3 recently? Because they still broadcast Dota 1 tourneys and it’s not even close to being just a prettier version of WC3. Everything in Dota 2 from the character animations, sounds, color and overall art aesthetic puts it in its own category. This game looks amazingly pretty when it’s running at a constant 60 fps. This game basically brought me back into playing Dota again and it’s getting bigger and better as the number of players increase everyday.

• JerrytheB says:

…yes, I have? And all of that, animations, etc, just amounts to a “prettier Warcraft 3.” It shares the EXACT same Blizzard art aesthetic except with less popping colors.

• pakoito says:

I can’t help but laugh at some of your jabs like “losing gold on death just makes the gulf further apart”. I was at the IEM LoL tournament some weeks ago and the games were a long-drawn farmfest due to ganks being irrelevant, free flash spells and low damage spammy skills. A 50 minutes 12-14 game is far from exciting, and a hero with 6 kills is earlygame in Dota.

Other design choices revolve around this little split kills thing, like AP scaling. There’s no concept of itemless-yet-useful support, everyone needs gold, kills and nobody will stand out of the rest except if it’s hero already stands from the crowd. There always were the same picks, strats (2-1-1-J ALL GAMES, FIRST TO SNOWBALL WINS STRAT) and outstanding heroes.

I understand is way easier on the player, low levels, pubs and whatnots, but when you’re a bit deep into the game Dota has tons more skills and systems to offer than LoL, and even watching is more rewarding because of the broader strategies.

Street Fighter vs Smash Bros, so to speak.

• Asurmen says:

I don’t see how any of that requries more ‘skill’ it just means it’s a different game.

• pakoito says:

It has bigger affordance, hence requires more skill.

• Asurmen says:

Could you expand on that please? The only thing to me that might require more skill in Dota over LoL is that laning in Dota was always more flexible in who goes in what lane. LoL is very fixed. Other than that, the games seem simply different and not based on different skill levels.

darkChozo says:

I think the issue with that train of thought is that skill does not necessarily correlate with good game design. It’s trivial to come up with examples of why it does not; for example, requiring players to type in a secret password to buy high level items, or to reverse the player’s controls every other minute (the former rewards player knowledge, the latter rewards mechanical skill; both are exaggerated but serve to show why it’s a poor argument).

The real question is whether adding complexity to a game adds more than it detracts. Some aspects of DOTA arguably do not (denying being a big one, the complexity of the shop being a possible one).

darkChozo says:

Bored fact checking time! (and I mean that, I freely admit that I don’t know enough about DOTA to have a real opinion on whether it’s a better game or not) [secretly I’m also curious about what some of these things are] {also I might just be using this as an excuse to read more into DOTA mechanics}

*forest juke paths – Yup
            *line of sight – Mind explaining this one, other than the more complex terrain (counting this as juke paths) and elevation? To the best of my knowledge both LoL and DOTA have bog-standard LOS systems
            *activated items – Very arguable. DOTA has more activated items but LoL has plenty as well, and that is a number that has been increasing fairly steadily.
            *denies – Yup
            *neutral pulling – Yup
            *creep walking – No idea what this is, Google doesn’t either (lots of hits for creeps who are walking, nothing about a strategy or anything similar)
            *secret and side shops – Yup
            *creep blocking – Yup (this is probably possible in LoL but is not particularly viable)
            *skill kiting – Once again, don’t know what this is and neither does Google. I’m assuming you don’t mean kiting in general, considering that LoL also features kiting and positioning.
            *tower aggro – LoL has tower aggro management as well, the mechanics differ but I don’t see a huge advantage to DOTA (and wow, DOTA aggro management is the definition of arcane if I’m understanding my research properly)
            *animation canceling – Present in LoL, not as important due to shorter animations, however LoL has any number of autoattack resets, I’d call this one a wash.
            *neutral stacking – Yup, though LoL arguably has an equivalent in jungle timing and buff control *spell-item interaction – Not sure what you mean by this, though that’s probably my DOTA inexperience speaking
            *uphill LOS – Yup
            *stats and plain bonus differentiation – Not entirely sure what you mean by this, going to assume you’re referring to being able to “level up” attributes; feel free to correct me there, though if I’m wrong that’s a major thing that DOTA has and LoL doesn’t
            *courier – Yup

And, for the sake of argument, some things that LoL has that DOTA doesn’t
            *Active abilities (arguable, though if DOTA gets active items then LoL gets active abilities)
            *Passives (also arguable whether it matters or not)
            *Summoner spells
            *Skillshots (as in waaay more skillshots)
            *Runes and masteries
            *Brush
            *Dragon (ie. mid game neutral objective)
            *Ability scaling
            *Neutral-granted buffs (countered by DOTA runes, just mentioning for the sake of completeness)

• Kitsuninc says:

I’d like to chip in here. I feel that DOTA isn’t a better game than LoL by any means, but it does have much more room for entertaining professional play, as the viability of unique tactics is much higher, and it’s more possible for players to pull off insanely awesome stuff because there’s so much complexity that can be tapped into to surprising effect. This can also be a reason someone would think the game is more entertaining to play.

I’ll try to explain some of these differences:
            *line of sight – The idea is that in DOTA you need to take advantage of trees to break LoS from your opponent, and once you have you can you can try to juke your opponent by moving in a direction they weren’t expecting, and get away. LoS is simplified in LoL, with most juking involving the bushes.
            *activated items – LoL has a reasonable amount, but every single one of them involves something simple like healing, buffing, or dealing damage. DOTA is similar, but there are some very interesting items mixed in like Necronomicon, Manta, Boots of Travel, and a good few few others.
            *animation canceling – In DOTA, by canceling your attack animation after damage is dealt, you can, start another attack before you normally would. I think it’s a dumb first level mechanic, but it does make things more complex. I don’t think you can do this in LoL, anyhow.
            *stats and plain bonus differentiation – I think he means Strength Agility and Intelligence, and how the one you get bonus damage from is based on your hero. It adds a little more complexity to item buying, ‘Do I buy an ogre club for the +strength and additional health, or instead buy a vitality booster since I’m an agility hero and won’t get the full benefit from a strength item?’

*Ability scaling – What’s strange about ability scaling, is that I think it actually removes complexity from the game, it makes support and nuker champs able to play very similarly to AD carries. This means that any champ can carry a game, and all can get similar use out of gold. Because of this, the heroes feel a lot less unique, as it doesn’t matter much whether you deal damage through attacks or skills.

darkChozo says:

Re: animation canceling, according to Google’s top result (a forum, the ultimate source of trustworthiness), canceling your attack animation does not increase your attack speed (ie. you don’t get to do your next attack faster). It does allow you to move faster and also avoid creep aggro for, I can only assume, definitely-not-grandfathered-in-WC3-related reasons. The same skill applies in LoL, but isn’t quite as important because attack animations aren’t as long. That being said, any reasonably decent LoL players is going to be canceling their animations regularly , both because it makes them more mobile and because it makes chasing much easier.

As for ability scaling, I’m not sure if it’s really that much of an issue. Even in LoL, AD carries are stronger late game because they quadruple scale (AD AS Crit Apen), while ability carries only double scale (AP Mpen, maybe CDR depending on champion). Also, AD carries tend to be DPSers while AP carries are more nukers (and if they’re not, they’re probably bruisers of some sort). While the fact that a mage-y champion can step in if the hard carry gets wrecked does somewhat blur class boundaries, I’m not necessarily sure if that’s a bad thing so much as a stylistic difference, and it opens up team comps that put more or less weight on the AP or AD carry.

Also, as long as we’re talking mechanics, what’s up with the randomness in DoTA? Coming from a (mostly theoretical, watching from afar) LoL-based background, it seems rather odd that there are so many chance-based factors in DoTA, considering how controversial chance-based mechanics have been in LoL (I think we’re down to crits and Alpha Strike at this point). I doubt they’re particularly unbalancing, but it’s just weird that, say, a team could roll with Ogre Magi and the law of large numbers and win a tournament, particularly in a game that has so much going for it competitively.

• Kitsuninc says:

Actually, yes, you can cancel an attack animation to increase your DPS. Every attack has a backswing after the damage point (The point at which damage is dealt melee, or a projectile is created for ranged) which can be canceled, and if you immediately attack again, you can get noticeably more hits in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdC-ntz4ytg

In regards to ability scaling, you’re right that AD champs carry harder than AP ones, but AP champs can still carry late game, whereas they simply cannot in DOTA. Consider the role of Semi-carry in LoL and DOTA. In LoL it means a champ that can carry, but is useful even if it fails to get enough farm to carry. In DOTA it means a hero that can carry early and mid game, snowballing very quickly and possibly ending the game before the other team’s hard carries get enough farm, but falling off should the hard carries succeed.

The randomness in DOTA is all ‘Psuedo random’ this means that over the course of a game ogre magi will always proc his level 3 multi-cast triple cast 25% of the time, because whenever it doesn’t proc, the chance of it proccing on the next cast increases. I’m not completely sure what I think about it, but basically you can’t get unlucky and never have your %s proc.

• pakoito says:

Everything else has been more or less covered, so the only element missing is *creep walking. It’s a part of the bodyblocking skill. When the creeps are generated at minute 0, you can block them several times to make them engage in a way they will surely lose the first clash and make the lane advance closer to your tower, giving you a small lane advantage when you’re in the long one (top for Good Guys, bot for Bad Guys). Generally you also ward the enemy’s neutral camp so they cannot pull and the lane is usually neutral or in your favor.

AP completely destroys the concept of the itemless hardcore support. There’s no equivalent of CM or VS in LoL. You have to take kills and farm from your carry to be useful mid and lategame. There are few and very disperse CC skills across the board. You can use the “antifun” mantra RIOT uses, but once ingame we have the total kills example as a measurement of how this is factually not correct.

From the LoL to Dota’s checklist is correct, but only a couple of those are actually something to think of once in the game. For example, Runes and Masteries are not visible to the opposite side and their effects are passive and constant, so they do not add affordance.

darkChozo says:

Right, but I don’t think it actually increases your DPS so much as it allows you to stay in range for much longer, meaning that you lose less DPS to chasing (That video makes it hard to tell, considering how badly the cancel is done at the start). It seems to work the same way LoL does; there’s a hard limit on how fast you can attack which is independent of how long the back swing takes.

Again, I think it’s a stylistic difference. LoL carries have a strong sense of being early/mid/late game carries, both AD and AP, with AD tending to be stronger late game, though not as a rule (see Urgot or MF vs. Karthus or Veigar). That basically holds the same significance as the hard/soft carry in DoTA, though unlike DoTA it’s not along AD/AP/Ag/Int lines; not that that’s a bad thing, just different.

I’m more thinking the other way around; Orge Magi has something like a 1.5% chance to double quadra-cast, which will pretty much insta-kill a hero. If someone rolls well with him, they can basically dominate based on the fact that they are lucky. Again, I don’t think it’s necessarily unbalancing, just something that’s odd in an otherwise competitive game. Imagine the same thing happening in a “real” sport; say, if in soccer/football/Association football/whatever, a team could opt to have their goals count for half, with 15% of their goals counting double instead based on an RNG.

Edit: curses, replying without reloading. A few quick points, the most popular item on close-to-itemless supports in S2 was Aegis of the Legion, an item that gives absolutely no AP but does give a defensive aura. In addition, supports in most cases are relegated to being CC (sometimes heal) and ward-bots because, while they do scale with AP, their scaling (and income) are poor enough that they can’t be effective damage dealers regardless.

Runes and masteries are visible (or at least guessable) at high level play based on a champion’s visible stats, though that doesn’t help with non-stat passives, and also probably won’t affect playstyle much, beyond maybe giving some insight on what an opponent is planning. That being said, it’s (including summoner spells here) mostly a matter of allowing some pregame tweaking in response to picks and your strategy; maybe you’re facing an aggressive lane and want to pick up some additional defense beforehand. Long-term planning, basically.

• Kitsuninc says:

You’re right, animation cancelling doesn’t increase DPS. I thought it did, since it seemed to be implied by topics about it, and because when watching Purge he always cancels when attacking a tower, but apparently not.

I can’t say much more about AP. I think it’s cool for it not to be there, as it gives more differentiation to hard carries and casters, as well as making different heroes more exp dependent or gold dependent, which brings up more strategy. You probably want your semi-carrying to go solo lane since they need exp more than gold, since your hard-carry is more gold dependent, he should have a babysitter to make last hits easier to get. BUT, it’s certainly cool to be carrying as Annie in LoL, blowing people up with your combo-nukes even in the late game. I feel that LoL’s system here is a little more casual, but it’s just my opinion, so whatever.

Psuedo-random works both ways, if you just got a 12% chance proc, your next hit will have an even lower proc chance, so you probably will have an even lower than 1.5% chance of double-quad casting. It’s still possible though, I think (I don’t completely know how psuedo-random works), so I see where you’re coming from.

• pakoito says:

Two more I forgot:

*skill kiting/orbwalk – It’s a subset of aggro and animation cancelling. If you rightclick autoattack an enemy hero, creeps and towers in range will aggro you. Some heroes have a toogleable+activable “orb” skill that makes their autoattack add a passive bonus (Drow, Viper, Venomancer IIRC). If you use the skill as toogleable creeps and towers will aggro you, but if you use it as activable indiviadually with animation cancelling you can effectively kill an enemy under a tower while not being targeted. This animation canceling also allows you to “orbwalk” enemies, making you attack them more effectively without allowing them to scape from you.

*item-skill interaction – This is better explained with examples: does Pushstick work on heroes with Omniknight’s Charm? And in Na’ix? Can you Hex a magic immune hero? Can a hero affected by CM’s Ice Imprisionment use a orb autoattack? Can AM/QoP blink away from Treant’s Ulti? From Lone Druid’s Bear? Which bash does work on magic immune heroes, Slardar’s or Faceless’s? Can Pudge grapple a hero affected by Phantom Scepter? Or Pugna’s Decrepify? There are hundreds of examples and knowing some cases can and will save your life.

• Asurmen says:

As I said pakoito, all I wanted you to do provide some examples and not just taking your word for it, so thank you.

darkChozo says:

I think you might be oversimplifying a bit there (for the record, I think the same could be said of the OP, though I am by no means an expert on DOTA). Not to mention that some of what you’ve pointed out is flat out wrong; both ganking and the itemless support were prevalent enough that they were de-emphasized in the big S3 update. I’d also disagree that champion picks are anywhere near standardized; sure, there are favored champions and plenty of FOTM, but that could be said of almost any competitive game (fighting games are the same, Starcraft has it in regards to strategy).

• pakoito says:

> both ganking and the itemless support were prevalent enough that they were de-emphasized in the big S3 update.

You are stating here that it was *worse*. Well, though improved, it’s still what it is. Less than 20 kills per team in a 50 minutes long game on average, being generous, while watching the same strategy and positions played over and over over the course of 25+ games in a two-day span becomes tedious quite easily. Simplified jukes, free teleport and free flash all across the board (esport hint! if everyone chooses it over the rest of choices maybe it’s too strong?) makes games and the metagame stagnant to the point of needing a yearly patch just to steer the iceberg a bit, and you can find lots of MOBA/ARTS/LPS games agreeing, as opposing to argumentless LoL apologizers like OP.

darkChozo says:

Just pointing out some flaws in your argument; I’d agree that it was worse before, but you were saying that LoL was a worse game because it had no itemless support, when the meta has been to have a support that buys boots, a midtier item, and wards/oracles for a while now. Same with ganking, the problem before was that there was that ganking was far too important, which mean that lanes played super-defensively, which was more boring. Again, you were saying that ganking didn’t have any importance, which just isn’t (or wasn’t, haven’t been keeping up with the competitive scene since the S3 update) true.

Just to note, I would say that the LoL meta could do with a shake-up, and Riot seems to be pushing for a more aggressive meta, which should be a bit more interesting. I just think that some of your arguments are missing the mark.

• BoredomIsFun says:

I would like to breakdown what you’ve said and address each point. I understand this probably won’t change your view of Dota (2) but I believe you simply don’t know Dota at all.

losing gold on death just makes the gulf further apart,

Losing gold on death makes ganking more worthwhile. How? For instance, killing a carry once or twice may HALT the carry’s farm in LoL while in Dota ganking a carry halts their farm and REDUCES their farm as well. In Dota, hyper late game carries exist. What this means is that if you give around 10 mins free farm to a hard carry, you will LOSE the game for sure. This literally forces the enemy team to react. Either to actively seek out and gank the hyper late game carry or attempt to push and end the game faster before enemy’s carry gets big.

While what you said is true. I believe you’re forgetting that you can use teleport to gank and countergank at a moments notice. Enemy team diving your carry at top? 5 man TP to countergank and possibly turn the situation around, at a moments notice. These active movements around the map via the teleport scroll (I would like to point out its a 30-60 second cool down, which is short in comparison’s to LoL’s Teleport) is what makes Dota more… active? You can also do clutch teleports away from a gank as well. “Oh enemy team trying to gank me and none of them have disables?” *teleports away* There is nothing more exciting then escaping a 3-5 man gank on you and escaping with 10 hp due to your jukes and clutch TP.

Now this statement is a complete and utter lie and shows to me you really don’t know much about Dota. When an enemy team player is killed, any ally heroes within the aoe of the kill gets EXP + Gold, and they don’t even have to hit or disable them, simply just be within the AOE. I would even like to point out a Bounty Hunter’s (hero/champion) ultimate, Track. “Tracks an enemy hero and grants a gain in movement speed to allies near the hunted. If the target dies, Bounty Hunter and nearby heroes collect a bounty in gold.” “Bonus Gold for Self: 150/200/250
      Bonus Gold for Allies: 50/100/150

I highly suggest you give Dota 2 another shot and remove all things you learnt previously from LoL other than Last hitting and map awareness. However I understand it’s hard to move away from a game you love so Good luck :)

Bluerps says:

I don’t play DOTA 2 (for several reasons, but mostly because I don’t know any gamers who would like to play it, and I don’t want to play it with strangers), but thank you for those lovely words about the PC. Merry Christmas!

• rockman29 says:

Join the RPS group! I just did, it’s in the OP of the comments for this post :)

I’m gonna see how easy it is to play with these guys too, why not join up and see also?

Merry Xmas all :)

22. PopeRatzo says:

Really great article. Beautifully written.

Makes me want to play Dota 2 which has been on the periphery of my consciousness for a while now. Let me go see if I can beg an invite…

And thanks, RPS, for becoming one of my favorite places these past few years.

23. mandrill says:

This is beautiful work. More please.

24. afarrell says:

Bah, I was hoping that this was going to be Mists of Pandaria – a ton of well-designed content, the first new (non-Warcraft-based) lore, opening up the ways to play and progress in all of the ways that a lot of fallen-by-the-wayside MMORPGs promised, a tilt back towards the MMO angle… and one that was never going to get a look in from the main countdown, as none of the RPS main staff play it. And outside of the gameplay, WoW failing to sicken and die, and popping back up to 8 figures of player base, will have a significant effect on a lot of big games still in the planning stages – being the WoW-killer is less likely than ever, which can only benefit any developers that were in danger of being asked to produce one.

25. Pancaras says:

If anyone need DOTA access, add me on steam ;)

26. ALPHATT says:

An amazingly apt description of what actually makes dota.

• Carachan1 says:

You have made my flippin’ day. DOTA is the hardest game to convey with words. I spent the last six months wondering how I was going to describe it to you all.

27. merakai says:

Unfortunate that theres no mention of the Pay2Win snoozefest the holiday greevling mode has been. How about we create a mode where you start off with a bad character, with no way to upgrade it unless you pay? Bored of the same character? Gotta pay. Want to play your hero? Nope, the greevil is almost always better.
    And lets not even get started about the retarded team comps you can build, but only if you have the right greevils.

shaydeeadi says:

Erm, Ok. If you were that bothered about having a particular greevil for playing with in this I’m pretty sure you could build one for less than 50p off of the marketplace for the essences and an egg to do it.

DOTA2 also hands out eggs almost guaranteed to new players and all you would have to do is ask in game or use a search engine to find out about how to make a greevil with the skills of your choice. We are all on the internet here. Not to mention that they have done some patching and made all Greevils a bit more viable, the random ultimates on nakeds keep it interesting if you don’t have a greevil of your own anyway.

• Kitsuninc says:

It is a pretty boring mode, calling it Pay2Win is pretty damn stupid though.

I wish they would just work seriously on a good quick game mode rather than release these half-baked holiday ones.

• dmoe says:

That’s a ridiculous label since it’s basically nothing but a “fuck around” mode. Your losses and ratio aren’t recorded other than getting free gifts and some XP after each game. But to be blunt I think it’s a rather crap mode. Especially compared to Diretide.

Diretide at least kept you and your team busy. As to where The Greeviling has tons of dead time and the spawning more multiple Greevil bosses on one side is a bit unfair don’t you think? Especially when there are heroes who can multi-task them easier than others and you’re not allowed to use TP scrolls. You’re right that specific Greevils do have an advantage over others especially in team fights. But Diretide also had it’s huge holes in its design as well. Regardless, Diretide was the better casual theme mode in Dota 2 so far. And had better drops too.

28. pakoito says:

Dota-HoN-Dota2 have been my most played games for almost 5 years. No way of denying this, but sometimes you have to play *other stuff*

strangeloup says:

I have 8 invites to this if any RPSers want one, but personally I’d rather gnaw my own foot off than go near any game of the sort again.

30. KirbyEvan says:

Haha, I always thought this song would be fantastic for end credits, and you just proved it.