RPS Asks: What Are Your Big PC Hopes For 2013?

By John Walker on December 31st, 2012 at 8:33 pm.

Man! I spend half an hour of my NYE drawing this, then realise it looks like it could be from three years ago.

For some reason 2013 doesn’t sound as futuristic as 2012. It’s more the sort of date you’re used to seeing on tinned food than the year robot unicorns attack. But 2013 could well be the best year PC has ever seen. As you drift off toward your Newyearseving celebration of choice, why not leave a thought on what you’re most hoping for?

And I’m not just saying 2013′s going to be good because our livelihood relies on the success of PC gaming, no sirree. I’m saying it because I believe it’s very true. 2013 is going to be the year where people grow increasingly reluctant to buy consoles, knowing that they’ll be out of date and replaced by Christmas. And as console fatigue kicks in it puts the emphasis back on us, before 2014′s TV-toy excitement kicks off. It’s also a year where developers will be building 2014′s games on devkits for the next gen, and thus freed up to explore the greater power the PC already possesses, meaning previews should get more intriguing.

Also, it’s just a crazy good year for the games that we already know are coming out, let alone the unrevealed, unknown indie projects, delivery of so many Kickstarter promises, and break-out surprise mods that will sneak up on us along the way. And of top of that, the completely unpredictable, 2013′s equivalent to the astonishing rise of crowd-funding and honour-payments that formed so much of 2012. I’m fairly certain it’ll be a year that reveals the next twist on big budget game pricing, the evolution of F2P into something new.

2013 will give us BioShock: Infinite, Planetary Annihilation, ArmA 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Sim City, StarCraft: Heart Of The Swarm, The Elder Scrolls Online, GTA V, Metro Last Light, Watch Dogs, Total War Rome 2… And I’m scraping the surface – we’ll have FAR more detail about the games of 2013 over the rest of this week.

So what are your big hopes for 2013 in PC Land? What games can’t you wait to play? What changes do you expect to see? What new twists and turns do you predict? Let us know below.

, .

1. Frank says:

I’m hoping Eador and the Banner Saga make a lot of money for their devs and the FTL guys announce another game of any sort. Also, another Deus Ex or Beyond Good & Evil announcement would be incredible!

2. derbefrier says:

1. Path of Exile open beta(wooo no more character wipes)
    2. A Half Life 3 announcement
    3. For all the Kickstarter projects to meet their goals and be the awesome games we hope they will be
    4. Star Citizen beta

3. Bobka says:

I hope that Microsoft cuts the crap and opens up Windows 8′s new Metro mode to apps not on the Windows Store. Alternatively, I hope Windows 8 performs miserably.

I hope the Steambox comes out and is a proper PC with Linux, no firmware/software differences at all (i.e. no porting needed if OpenGL is already being used), just in a box designed for plug-and-play use.

I hope the mobile market starts to slow down and saturate, so that either A) some devs return to making complex, engaging single-player games on the PC, or B) people achieve breakthroughs in interface design and engaging single-player experiences become available, good and profitable on mobile.

I hope that all the big Kickstarter names show real progress and/or are published, and are good. I backed Project Eternity, Godus, Planetary Annihilation, and Castle Story – looking forward to all of them going gold, so to speak.

4. wodin says:

Wings Over Flanders Fields
    Combat Mission East front
    Command Ops Chir River (unlikely)
    Command Ops Legends of the Blitzkrieg (unlikely)
    Histwar Les grognards 2 (maybe\unlikely)

I’m not sure if there is a AAA title in development I’m excited about to be honest..sure there is something but just can’t remember.

This next year is when I will be hit by the cut backs..and the little money I have I can see becoming even less. SO if I do actually end up buying the games from the above list it will be some sort of present.

5. Dances to Podcasts says:

Half-Life 3, Destiny, Titan.

Though I’m actually more looking forward to the smaller gems, like Maia for example.

6. shostakovich says:

I hope that Dota 2 brings new things about the game as a social experience. There’s a lot of potential to explore and it will be a huge deception if Valve doesn’t explore it.

7. JackDandy says:

I can’t wait to see how the “Big” Kickstarter projects will deliver. We might be getting some really awesome games.

Also looking forward to more stuff from the Grimrock team.

And more of Xseed’s releases on Steam!

And, Chaos Chronicles also looks great.

8. pertusaria says:

I’m looking forward to Clockwork Empires and hoping it’s going to be great, whether or not in runs on my computer (although that would be nice).

Other than that, I’m hoping for (in no particular order):
    - another year of great indie games plus a few interesting releases from medium to large devs;
    - a market where good devs can make a living but older games (at least from big publishers) continue to come down in price for those willing to wait;
    - Sim Life to be released on GoG;
    - gamers and devs everywhere to live in peace and have respect for each other;
    - enough time and staying power to give many of the games in my backlog a chance to prove themselves;
    - luck in getting a real-life gaming group (back) together for board games and possibly D&D.

9. judge_za says:

Grim Dawn

Metro Last Light and hopefully some sort of STALKER game.

10. Ciergan says:

I just want to get through my backlog. *sob*

11. wilynumber13 says:

1. For high-quality titles like La-Mulana and Shantae to stop getting snubbed on Steam Greenlight.

2. For Skullgirls to make a big splash on PC. They really deserve it.

12. BrianOConnell says:

All I want for 2013 is Xenus 3: Boiling Gold from forgotten developers Deep Shadows.

13. GameCat says:

Wish me to be non-too-lazy-ass so I can finally made my first serious game.

lazy8 says:

OK, I wish you to be non-too-lazy-ass so you can finally make your first serious game

14. 8bitbeard says:

I eagerly anticipate the release of the Oculus Rift, though a mere release isn’t enough. It has to be successful, embraced by consumers and developers alike. This fancy little futuristic ski-mask has the potential to be the next big thing.

15. dogsolitude_uk says:

Like many others, I’d like to see Linux become a viable gaming option. It made me so happy seeing my Steam login screen when it first appeared on my Linux desktop, with Darwinia, Braid and Amnesia all waiting to be installed. It’s awesome having a bunch of installation disks for different distros and being able to bung them on any old PC without having to worry about deactivating licenses etc.

I’m hoping for good news on Thief 4, and Elite: Dangerous. Hopefully another Deus Ex add-on. And some RPGs that don’t hide stats behind flashy interfaces and allow me to manage my inventory properly.

Shit, it’s 20 past 11 on NYE, I’d better go get some beer!

Happy new year folks :)

[This post was written using Linux Mint]

16. mr.ioes says:

Sacred 3
    Grim Dawn
    Medieval Mayor

My favourite genres (hack and slash + city builder) have been dead for too long. And seeing how Sacred 3 will most likely be a big fail, doesn’t make me very hopeful for 2013. Grim Dawn looks more of the same, which I have no problem with whatsoever though. Looking forward very much. Medieval Mayer looks very promising already (2D city builder – YES!) and I predict it will be my GOTY 2013.

17. ScorpionWasp says:

My hopes for the coming year are that narrative in games will reach the same level of quality as that seen in Hollywood, a newly appointed global dictatorship will ban MMOs and MMO/Skinner Box elements in EVERY FUCKING GAME coming nowadays forever, Hideo Kojima will be found hanging from the ceiling in his home with a note apologizing for every game he has ever made, Team Silent will perform a hostile takeover of Konami, Capcom will spontaneously combust and never be heard from again, uninspired gimmicky retro games will stop coming out in spades, the AAA industry will stop re-skinning and making the same game over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, “games are art” faggots will stop making vacuous, vague “Sword and Sworcery” style non-games that take “refuge in not making any fucking sense”, a certain trio of gaming journalists that shall remain unnamed will stop using their sudden rise to fame to promote unrelated leftist agendas and instead start making GOOD, gaming relevant episodes again, and… well, I guess that’s pretty much it.

Oh, and we’ll have games that indeed break new ground in major ways. Games with living, breathing universes where everything affects everything in ways not even the authors could have anticipated. Games with new, fascinating, never before tried AI techniques, neural networks, simulated agents with an actual ability to learn. NPCs that are at the same time unpredictable, but whose behavior is anything but random. Advanced procedural/simulationist techniques that create a new experience every single time you boot the game.

That’s all. Wake me up when you have that all done.

• pertusaria says:

There’s some pretty nasty stuff in there. Please think before you post. I know it may seem a fine line between wishing EA would get a clue (or crumble into dust) and wishing someone would be found dead, but the latter is really unpleasant and way over-the-top. Also, terms about homosexuality are not generally OK as personal insults ’round here. The fact that you may not mean it literally isn’t the point.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a mod, just a normal forum-er, but thought this should not pass without comment. Happy New Year to everyone on Greenwich Mean Time.

• ScorpionWasp says:

I forgot one there. I hope in the coming year, political correctness, people bending over backwards to be “offended” at everything, and thinking others have an obligation to bend over backwards to not say the subjective things that they choose to find offensive, I hope they all catch Ebola and die. Happy new year all. :)

• derbefrier says:

Lmao if only this were possible but these guys are way to uptight to let that happen

Lars Westergren says:

The irony here is that you choose to find pertusarias statement offensive and tries to make him/her shut up. Pot, kettle, black?

• ScorpionWasp says:

His message, unlike mine, contained (serious, not tongue in cheek) commands (“think before you post”) and implicit appeals to vague, unseen “rules” (“Uh, it’s not just that *I* don’t like to see certain expressions, see, these are, like, how things are done here. Yeah.”). There’s a clear intent to control behavior on his part. I’m merely saying I’m not going to comply, that it’s deliberate (not a result of “not thinking” or “being too new around here to know “the rules”") and that if he wishes, he can bite me. That’s all.

Lars Westergren says:

He said “please”. He is also right, the RPS staff are open about usually don’t tolerating that sort of behaviour, so it’s not like it is an “unseen” rule.

jrodman says:

I hope horrid forum trolls become fewer in number.

cpt_freakout says:

Yawn. Let’s do it your way: “i HoPe YoU DiE!11 Y??? Because I say so. REASONABLE ARGUMENTS?!?! Nah, jUsT dIeIe!!!!”

• Tams80 says:

Wishing someone dead is not in keeping with this community.

18. SuperNashwanPower says:

ROUTINE

19. Azhrarn says:

Looking forward to learning more about Watch Dogs :)
    And waiting for all those gaming Kickstarters I backed to start paying off. :)

20. MOKKA says:

I just want to have some good games to play.

welverin says:

That THQ survives long enough for Metro: Last Light to get released and South Park: The Stick of Truth, but mostly Metro.

22. Dudeist says:

I can’t wait new games, not another franchise like a Bioshock, however can be good and I’m waiting it too.

But gaming is big business now and hard to suspect something fresh and great. I know, here many great indie games and other small – but small mostly and not always milestones.

You wrote :BioShock: Infinite, Planetary Annihilation, ArmA 3, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Sim City, StarCraft: Heart Of The Swarm, The Elder Scrolls Online, GTA V, Metro Last Light, Watch Dogs, Total War Rome 2″ can you show me something fresh here? Mostly just playable standalone DLC’s :) Ok, Watch Dogs is new title. But fresh?

Happy New Year to you and to all PC gamers!

23. LuNatic says:

I want games to start getting 64 bit executables, that have proper multi-core support and can use more than 2 gigs of ram without crashing.

• Jade Raven says:

I would like to see many things, but if 64-bit .exe’s can come as standard by the end of the year I’l be happy. This 32-bit bullshit has has gone on long enough.

24. soldant says:

I hope for a new console generation… so that PC gaming is unshackled once again. That said, I don’t want to go back onto an upgrade treadmill. Also ARMA3, fully functional on release. No show-stopping bugs or absurd performance problems, with proper driving AI. Heh, that’ll never happen.

I think all of the “Linux becomes go-to platform for games!” people are going to be disappointed. Each tine Microsoft sneezes or a dev/pub says something about Linux a lot of people rise up and say that this time they’ll switch and it’ll be the end of Windows. The same arguments were tossed about with the release of Vista and XP and lots of other points in the past. It never happens.

AlwaysRight says:

The Witness
    Spy party
    Artemis (new Porpentine game)
    The Phantom Pain
    Metro: last light
    All those Kickstarters that promise so much but probably won’t be out for another year if they have any chance of being the quality we expect.
    Hopefully Beyond good and evil 2

26. Lanfranc says:

Right now, my biggest hope for 2013 is that the new SimCity won’t suck. Because that would make me sad. :-(

mrwonko says:

I’d like less cancelled projects, please. Edge of Twilight sounded nice. Oh wait – I just revisited their homepage, and now it says summer 2013? Now there’s good news, I heard it might’ve been cancelled. Console Exclusive? Now there’s bad news. And Elveon’s still dead. And what about those not-quite-cancelled games? I’d like to see some Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Prey 2.

I’d like to know what Valve’s next game will be. Everything except, to a certain degree, Dota 2 is out, so they likely have some new promising projects.

I’d like more PC ports. It would’ve been a shame if I had missed out on God Hand just because it wasn’t released on PC. Which reminds me – here’s hoping we’ll get that PC game Platinum Games thought about.

I’d like Double Fine’s Adventure to be a huge success so they can (and do) make Psychonauts 2. Hmm, I should replay Psychonauts in 2013.

And I’d like for RPS to stay great. Thanks for making me buy Dishonored after all, for example. And thanks for telling me about Hotline Miami.

28. man-eater chimp says:

That Paradox learn how to optimise properly. Absolutely love their games, always have niggling performance problems though.

Games wise, Planetary Annihilation (looks awesome) to come out. And for Monaco, Spy Party and Nidhogg to actually be released. And Bioshock Infinite to be good, please.

And to finally get hold of a proper desktop gaming PC, rather than relying on my consolebox (of the microsoft variety) to play major intensive releases, and missing out on playing games such as PS2 and Hawken as I can’t run them.

29. omNOMinator says:

I hope that 2013 is the year that desktop PCs become ridiculous and a more realistic alternative can be introduced to the market. *gasps*

I hope that gamers, and the gaming industry can realise that we live in the present times – these times where everything is connected, everyone has a computer in their pocket, and we could all be using lighter and more wonderful machines. Maybe I’m crazy, but it’s the conclusion that I’ve come to.

A configurable, upgradeable, hand-held/small device is what we need to allow the most connected experience. For the good of mankind.

• wodin says:

erm..my graphics card is probably twice as big as a tablet…I say no to you and your mobile tiny devices..once we wanted big screens..now we want tiny screens you can barely see anything on. I have a 19inch screen and I bemoan it’s size..and no I don’t want to plug a tiny device into my TV (sort of defeating the object of a tiny device anyway) I’d like to see faith stay with the PC even when the new console boxes arrive..

Hmm are you peter Molywhatshisname..sounds like something he would say or has said with his cube in your pocket nonsense

jrodman says:

The problem is that tiny is the enemy of configurable.

When you want to build tiny you want low chip count and low power draw. Both of these things push for closed fixed designs, not open ended easy-access connectors. Sure we can bulid a 4 pin serial bus that’s small but it’s not going to be high performance. Yes, we could make a high performance bus attached to a portable device, but post-attach it won’t be very portable anymore.

You could make a system that has some crazy 64pin slot to attach coprocessors in sd card form factor, but I really doubt it will have decent longevity AND a small battery. Meanwhile good luck passing emissions.

• Tams80 says:

What’s the point in making something that doesn’t need to be portable, portable at the expense of performance, especially when most desktops can still be pushed in terms of computational capacity.

Anyway, a desktop can be connected and you can, *gasp* have a desktop, console(s), portable console(s), a laptop, a tablet and a phone all at the same time and have them all connected to some degree.

30. Xanyr says:

My hope is for GTA 5 to actually come to PC. Rockstar have been less than enthusiastic about PC ports as of late and I’m hoping for a reversal on this policy.

31. Haplo says:

1) I want more high-calibre RPGs! Games in the format of BG/etc, games in the format of the Bethesda games, turn-based RPGs; it doesn’t matter so long as there are more of them.
    2) 2012 saw XCOM nail turn-based shooty tactical action, and I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of a renaissance in the genre. I think there’s some room there for proper balls-to-the-wall fleshin’ to do.
    3) RTW2 is almost definitely gonna rock, because CA always give me a good deal of enjoyment regardless of the quibbles (and there are always quibbles).
    4) On the topic of CA, I wanna see if they announce anything with their shiny new Warhammer license.
    5) On the topic of Warhammer, I hope THQ et al recover enough to keep giving me the good 40k shit.

32. Matt7895 says:

For PC specifically, I’m hoping for good PC versions of all games that will come out in 2013. These include a multitude of options and preferences – graphics, FOV, being able to turn off motion blur, DoF, mouse acceleration and the usual. I’d also like to see more games take advantage of 64-bit processors and RAM. I’m also looking forward to prices for SSDs coming down.

More generally, I’m hoping South Park: The Stick of Truth will be true to Obsidian and not be too hampered by the fact that is written mainly by Matt and Trey – who, let’s face it, aren’t known for video-game writing – and seems to be going for a broad audience. I’d like to see Valve return to making single-player games – I’m not really a fan of DOTA, L4D and CS, but I really do love the Half-Life series. Bethesda letting Obsidian make another Fallout game would be a dream come true, but I’m resigned to the sad probability that it’ll be Bethesda who make Fallout 4. The optimist in me hopes that Bioware will turn back the clock and make good RPGs again. I enjoyed ME3, but the stupidity of the ending and the sub-par DLC might indicate what is to come.

jrodman says:

I would like some quality RPGs that are actual RPGs and not action games faking it.

• Stevostin says:

You mean turned based ? Because to me turn based is not RPG or not RPG. It’s transversal.

jrodman says:

Do mean they are overlapping?

Anyway I don’t necessarily mean turn based athough it’s good starting point for an RPG. I do mean NOT fallout 3 where it’s really a shooter that has some RPG trappings, or similar ilk.

• I Got Pineapples says:

I’ve been playing the Persona series on an emulator. Does that count?

jrodman says:

I’ve been playing lots of good ones in various emulators. I’d like some new ones.

(I greatly enjoyed persona for playstation, although 3 and 4 had far too much dating sim in them for my tastes)

34. Wedge says:

Barkley 2.
    Nuff’ said.

• GameCat says:

You mean “The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa”?

35. dmoe says:

Valve to tease Source 2 and show a bit of Episode 3. Oh and Dota 2 launch build :)

36. popedoo says:

1) RPS: The Movie
    2) Peace, love, happiness, freedom, success and joy for everyone on the planet.

37. Squishpoke says:

There is only ONE thing that I want from 2013.

The announcement of a true UNREAL TOURNAMENT SEQUEL. It doesn’t have to release in 2013, I just want word that it is in the pipes!

38. Commissar says:

STALKER 2 is released and it is as glorious as I hope

39. kdh says:

- Game developers to realize, that if they want their games to be riddled with cutscenes and dialogue every few minutes, they absolutely need to include a pause button that works during said cutscenes.

- That the general improvement in the field of voiceacting in games is followed up by a general improvement in plot.

40. BooleanBob says:

Chocolate which doesn;t cause regret

It will supercede the current model, which I call regretolate