Half-Life 2 Walks The Dinosaur: Jurassic Life

By Alec Meer on January 7th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

If The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

With Black Mesa Source somehow now actually released, maybe we need a new impossible mod dream to dream. How about this Jurassic Park-themed mod for Half-Life 2, now six years in the making without any danger of issuing a release date? That’s how PC gaming rolls.

It does have some great footage to show off, though. Clever girl.

The team behind Jurassic Life have broken cover with the below video after almost a year of silence, and while they’ve got good stuff to show off it’s pretty clear that they’re a long way from the finish line on this. They’re also after a few more amateur devs, details on which are here.

Here’s the footage, replete with island jungles, assorted dinos to mow down with the HL2 arsenal and that theme tune.

If you believe I primarily posted this because the music made me feel a whole lot better on this first working Monday of 2013, you’d be absolutely right. For nostalgia’s sake, here’s how it was used originally.

Jurassic Life will be out when it’s done. I’ll guess that means years rather than months.

These developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. smoke.tetsu says:

They will release next year that is if the lawyer’s don’t kill them first. I don’t care much for lawywers, do you?

2. DarkLiberator says:

If I can use a gravity gun to toss a T-Rex at a horde of raptors, then YES!

3. OrangyTang says:

I still do not understand the person that says “I know what I want to do for the next few years – I’ll work on someone else’s IP for free!” It’s not like Jurassic Park is particularly unique or innovative a setting.

Still, at least it’ll be easy to reskin when the inevitable C&D arrives.

• f1x says:

yeap, I think if you avoid the use of original logos, names, etc, just for the dinosaurs and the park they cannot use you,
      but of course this guys want to benefit from the popularity of an established IP like Jurassic Park is, obviously,

• Ninja Dodo says:

I think it’s more like an advanced form of fan art. If you really like a particular story or world these things are fun to work on, and good practice.

• f1x says:

Yes I dont see any problem with that,
        I expressed it quite incorrectly, what I meant is if they took out all the “jurassic park” brand it would be definitely less interesting even if it was safer in legal terms in case they wanted to make profit/selling

• Urthman says:

I suspect it’s not something you can explain to someone who uses the word “IP” without irony.

• f1x says:

As said, I explained myself in a really poor way, perhaps because of my sometimes limited knowledge of english

I’m not talking here about copyrights or whatever I was just thinking (out loud) if this game would have the same appeal if its was not using the whole Jurassic Park aesthetics

and I was thinking that because someone mentioning reskinning it in case of a C&D

4. The Smilingknight says:

I bet you guys didnt know that Raptors were actually as big as chicken.

• P7uen says:

And chickens were actually as big as an ostrich.

• The Smilingknight says:

No, Raptors were actually as big as todays chickens.
        But those couldnt reach the door handles you see… so…

• The Random One says:

Also men were as big as men, women were as big as men, and children were as big as raptors. Those were the days.

• Crimsoneer says:

Chickens are actually pretty closely related to dinosaurs. Relatively.

• Cinek says:

Comparing to humans. No doubt.

• The Smilingknight says:

No, chickens actually are dinosaurs.

Birds ARE dinosaurs. They didnt go extinct.
          Well, only the big ones did.

• Mollusc Infestation says:

I delight that this is indeed true. Chickens are literally dinosaurs. Literally.

• Matt_W says:

My 5 y/o daughter, seeing a flock of pigeons roosting on some telephone lines: “Daddy, look at all the dinosaurs up there!”

Knows more dinosaurian cladistics at age 5 than 95% of adults. My work on that front is done.

• ucfalumknight says:

That’s why everything tastes like chicken! A marvel of modern science!

• Joshua says:

When Paleantologists want to see how the dinosaurs which move along on two legs walked, they take how a chicken walks and extrapolate.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

So now we know that dinosaurs walked like they were in a minefield

EDIT: With extrapolatedly big mines

• The Smilingknight says:

@Molusc
            It is a true delight, yes. A flock of birds, a simple pigeon pecking crumbs next to your feet, a sparrow, a smart raven or a crow – is a wondrous sight to behold.
            They live! And it is real. :D

@Matt_W
            Youve got some smart kid there. If that doesnt deserve an icecream i dont know what does.
            I love to tell this stuff to the kids, watch the realization dawn, mouths and eyes going all :O.
            Great stuff.

• Ninja Dodo says:

JP raptors are more like Deinonychus, but that’s harder to pronounce.

• Bauul says:

Ultra pedant mode:

True, but the “raptors” in Jurassic Park are actually Deinonychus, not “true” Velociraptors. At the time the book was written, Gregory Paul had recently reclassified Deinonychus as “Velociraptor antirrhopus”, albeit based only on his own research. Crichton used this classification, with one character stating “‚ĶDeinonychus is now considered one of the Velociraptors”. Hence they were known as “raptors”, although really it’s probably because “deinos” just sounds silly.

Edit: Darn it! Ninja Dodo ninjad me to it!

• Matt_W says:

And, having had feathers, probably looked a bit like a chicken as well, or at least more like a chicken than a lizard:

• CheesyJelly says:

There is no “Raptor” dinosaur. If you’re talking about Velociraptors, you are correct – about the size of today’s chickens. Obviously this isn’t particularly scary, so they made them much bigger for Jurassic Park. However, after the film was released, a new dinosaur was discovered: the Utahraptor. And guess how big they were – yup, about the size of Jurassic Park’s raptors. So the name is the problem, not the size.

• The Smilingknight says:

Thats all very fine and dandy but JP had Velociraptors. We just use the word Raptor – because we are lazy scumbags.

• Andy_Panthro says:

Here’s the appropriate educational video about dinosaurs, with a section devoted to Jurassic Park:

• Syra says:

Ah yes, but did you know that ‘raptor’ is the nickname given to a whole group of dinosaurs, and indeed still exists among some birds :)

I’ve been heavily ninjad but yes, the incorrectly named Velociraptors were more likely approximate to Deinonychus or Utahraptor in scale.

5. Morlock says:

A mod 65 million years in the making.

6. Didden says:

Wheres the goat? WHERES THE GOAT!??? *Glass water quivers a bit*

7. Ninja Dodo says:

Somewhere Jeff Goldblum is making noises.

8. The First Door says:

So, I feel like I have to put this here:

Mostly because it’s slightly ruined that scene in Jurassic Park for me now and I feel compelled to share that feeling!

9. Felixader says:

Well that explains why the second video isn’t blocked by the fucking GEMA.

Does anyone know a Add-on for Firefox that prevents this from happening.
    Prox-Tube doesn’t seem to work anymore.

10. phuzz says:

The sister of a friend of mine had the Jurassic Park theme played at her wedding. Even more odd, the quartet playing the music had already learnt the piece for someone else’s wedding…

Her husband was in the room at the time and didn’t seem hugely enthusiastic about the music, but perhaps that was just his experience of marriage as a whole…

11. Nihil says:

The other day, I was playing Far Cry 3 and I was about to shoot a tiger. ‘Ok..’ I said to myself, then I laughed and added ‘I’ve got her’. Because that’s how cool I am.

With literally perfect comedic timing, a bear bursts out of the bush to my left and mauls me to death.

I was laughing for about half an hour, and in my mind, the words ‘Clever bear’ are now immortalised.

I feel a bit sad now, since I very much doubt any video game experience is ever going to top that.

12. Stan Lee Cube Rick says:

I hope it works on Unix systems.

13. Jenks says:

It can’t be better than this. I’m not even sure the actual movie is better than this:

14. Oak says:

Crossing my fingers so hard they’ll probably fuse together.

15. Skabooga says:

Some may think it will never be released, but video games find a way.

16. Brun says:

I keep saying this in dinosaur-related game threads, but seriously – where is the Turok reboot/mod that I know everyone wants so desperately?

17. SuperNashwanPower says:

A butterfly can flap its wings in Peking, and in Seattle, you get Source Engine 2.

Just ask the Black mesa team about mod rebuilds … that is, i mean to say, HURRY UP or people will be enjoying their flying cars too much to play ;)

18. Synesthesia says:

hahhahaha that melodica cover is the best thing that happenned today yet. Thanks a lot!

Comment on this story