Divided We Fall? – THQ Properties To Be Sold Individually

By Nathan Grayson on January 8th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Largely unrelated to this image, but still relevant: If Dawn of War 3 never happens as a result of this sale, someone dies.

OK, hold onto the floppier parts of your brain, because this is about to get a bit complicated. So remember how THQ went bankrupt and fell into bed with “stalking horse bidder” Clearlake Capital? Well, the primary intent of all that was to keep THQ in one piece while dealing with that nasty little “having basically no money” thing, but – at the 11th hour – there was a twist. Creditors decided THQ’s all-or-nothing sales approach wasn’t fair to them (it’d probably pull in less money, after all), and a US bankruptcy court judge agreed. So now THQ’s gone from monolithic one-gulp meal to easily chopped up buffet, and rumor has it that a number of major players are interested in various series, games, and franchises.

GamesIndustry International brings word that Clearlake’s attempt at a quick-and-dirty $60 million purchase was shot down by Johnny Law (who, in this case, is actually named Judge Mary Walrath) in favor of competing offers for individual properties. Distressed Debt Investing, meanwhile, claims that EA’s been scouting a few of THQ’s heavy hitters, and both Warner Bros and Ubisoft have voiced interest in picking over the publisher’s remains.

Originally, the sale was set to go through on January 10th, but – after Clearlake’s proposed adjustment to January 15th got a thumbs-down for still being too hasty – January 22nd received the official go-ahead. On that day, any and all interested parties will be able to bid on individual THQ properties. Where various series will end up and whether or not their current developers will still be behind the wheel is anyone’s guess at this point.

The future certainly doesn’t appear too bright for THQ proper, though. After all, if you carve up a life raft, things tend to go south rather quickly – and I’m not sure even a fresh infusion of cash would cover up a Saints Row or South Park shaped hole in the long run. If nothing else, odds are good that current projects like Metro: Last Light and Company of Heroes 2 will see the light of day unimpeded,given that it’d be pretty silly to can games that are so close to completion. Beyond that, however, the future’s extremely uncertain. Here’s hoping for the best – whatever that actually means in this particular scenario.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. FionaSarah says:

What does this mean for studios? Are Volition an integral part of THQ or are they a morsel that can be carved out of it’s corpse?

• vodka and cookies says:

It’s the IP being sold and those developers are just employees of THQ. It is entirely possible that a publisher could pick up the rights and code to past games but use their own internal studios to carry on the franchise.

Basically comes down to money and whether THQ will let go an internal studio if the price is right and if the buyer thinks its for the best continued success of the franchise. I’m sure THQ if it wants to survive does not want to see any of it’s talented studios go.

For example EA might take WWE but they would have no use for the developers, Saints Row on the other hand might lightning in a bottle difficult to recapture but not impossible.

• zbeeblebrox says:

It means the dev studios are basically F’d

2. Roz says:

:c not Ubisoft! Please!
    Nor EA! Stop this pain!

• Soulstrider says:

Nor Warner.

Jesus each bidder is worse than the other, we just need Activision now.

• Banana_Republic says:

Reading through the thread, I’ve realized that pretty much every single publisher’s name I’ve read, fills me with the most intense of loathing for one reason or another. Sadly, THQ is the only one that actually stirs fond memories for me. Hell, I STILL play Titan Quest.

What a sad state of affairs in this industry. At least now I can see why more than 75% of my game purchases over the last year have been indie titles. Buying from any of these other jackals just makes me feel unclean.

• D3xter says:

Take Two, Square Enix and Paradox Interactive aren’t that bad either. THQ only pissed me off with their DLC politics.
          I don’t have much of an opinion on Warner Bros., SEGA and while I don’t enjoy many Bethesda titles Bethesda Softworks isn’t yet at “purify with holy water” levels of bad.

Activision Blizzard, Microsoft, EA, Ubisoft, Capcom should burn in eternal hellfire and gaming would probably be better without (especially the first three).

Here’s a list of most game publishers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_publishers

• MellowKrogoth says:

You can add SEGA to your purify with holy water list, given how they’ve taken down all Youtube videos of their old game Shining Force III, even those which did as little as talk about the game! For people that had several videos about the game, those multiple alledged “infrigements” probably caused their whole channel to be closed.

(Popular Youtube commentator TotalBiscuit is now boycotting Sega content for this very reason.)

• Lev Astov says:

This is why over $50,000,000 was given to game developers on Kickstarter alone last year. All this money grubbing is driving increasingly average consumers to crowd funding.

If these “investors” don’t wise up to how their greedy antics strike us consumers, they may well suffer severe losses in the future as they drive more of us to our own means of funding.

• MOKKA says:

From all big publishers out there, I would say that Ubisoft at least has some kind of creative spirit left. Sure, their DRMs were stupid, but since they seemed to have learned their lesson, I would prefer Ubisoft picking up those titles then any other of those bigger publishers.

But of course this is more a pragmatic choice then anything else.

• caddyB says:

I’d like Ubisoft over Activision or EA or Warner at any day. Sure, they have problems and they are one of the evil mega publishers, but they are the lesser evil in this case.

And compare Simcity 5 with Anno 2070, that’s the difference between Ubi and EA in a nutshell.

• Hoaxfish says:

Yea, Ubisoft have at least a wobbly temperament when it comes to DRM (i.e. having insane DRM, and then dropping it entirely).

I don’t want EA, because I want that ship to sink as fast as possible.

I’m not really sure of WB’s crimes in gaming, only that I liked Bastion.

• Delusibeta says:

Probably being one of the few publishers left to still use GfWL, and also for screwing over Scribblenauts Unlimited in the EU (by being lazy and getting Nintendo of Europe to publish it. Somehow the PC version hasn’t been cancelled yet).

• RedViv says:

I must have forgotten about the time when SimCity was as complex as Anno…

• caddyB says:

All that I’m saying is SimCity5 seems to be simplified and smaller in scope compared to it’s predecessors. While Anno 2070 is as Anno as it gets and with the newest expansion it’s even more complex than the earlier iterations.

Otherwise both do the DLC dance and always online DRM. ( Well Anno has a few cosmetic dlc and Simcity is confirmed to have day1 dlc )

• ulix says:

Even without the Deep Sea expansion Anno 2070 is incredibly complex, a lot more complex than any Anno game before it, and definitely a lot more complex than any Sim City game. Probably the most complex (“mainstream”) city-builder ever made.

• RedViv says:

See, caddyB, all I was saying is that it’s quite nonsensical to compare Anno and SimCity for this. Yes, SC(5) goes a step back to somewhere along the lines of SC3K, rather than going even deeper than SC4. Some may like it, some may not. Silly monetisation aside, I welcome the deeper mechanics and systems behind the rather more accessible building in the foreground, way more so than the demanding but needlessly complex mess that slogged down the last numbered incarnation.

• zaprowsdower says:

I feel the same. UPlay is utter shit but Ubisoft has released some great games: Anno 2070, Splinter Cell Conviction, Driver San Francisco. I could tolerate them taking the CoH franchise.

• Phantoon says:

And Ensemble under Microsoft released Age of Empires 2- what’s your point?

• zaprowsdower says:

That Ubisoft has a good track record aside from their DRM and would probably let CoH be the game that it’s supposed to be.

• GepardenK says:

Yup Ubisoft has some really bad buissness pratices, but at least they deliver great and often original games. Thats kinda important I think. Also they focus heavily on the PC compared to the others (Anno, Settlers, Heroes of might and magic etc)

With EA/Activision we only get Brown manshooter , Brown manshooter sequel and Brown manshooter 3rd person. EDIT: Plus of course Hippy Trippy Facebook game, how could I forget…

• f1x says:

Square Enix or even Bethesda would be better

too bad :(

But yes I’m also concerned whats going on with the studios, as much as it saddens me I would be a bit less sad if those big sharks only get the “IPs” but the studios remain able to choose and perhaps develop new things

• Low Life says:

Square Enix would be awesome, but with them having financial difficulties of their own I don’t see that happening.

• lordcooper says:

I still haven’t forgiven them for FFXIII

• Obc says:

yup, FFXIII was the last straw for me…and they still going on in that universe with the a new FFXIII title.

• f1x says:

I understand your frustration
            on other hand the support and development freedom they have given to the PC versions of Deus EX: HR and Sleeping Dogs has been quite nice,

• LionsPhil says:

Everything Squeenix touch turns to anime wangst.

No thanks.

• f1x says:

Only Finaly Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts,
            and then Final Fantasy has been quite an influential JRPG, even quite an influential saga in game’s history, (but yeah the XIII…)
            And then Kingdom Hearts while extremely repulsive for me its aimed to the young teenagers so you can forgive it

The rest of franchises are quite nice, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider,
            (they also published Dungeon Siege 3 also, but lets forget about that, and Kane And Lynch 2 but lets forget about that too)

• FriendlyFire says:

Supreme Commander 2 was published by Squeenix and look at how that turned out. The game bore a suspiciously anime style and was grossly oversimplified compared to its predecessor.

• LionsPhil says:

DX:HR is very much not a positive example, either.

• SavageTech says:

“DX:HR is very much not a positive example, either.”

I don’t see how DX:HR is any more anime or wangsty than the original. Are there Asian influences in HR? Yup, because they were in DX as well. Does it have a plot with a tendency for melodrama? Yup, because…

Square-Enix publishing a game doesn’t magically make it similar to the games they develop, either. Publishers have influence over the games they fund, yeah, but I doubt the management at Squeenix came to Eidos Montreal and said “Okay you French-Canadian fucks, this game needs more KAWAII-DESU ASIAN FLAVAAAAA~~~~ ^_____________^ OR YOU’RE ALL FIRED!” I’m not a big fan of most Squeenix developed games, but they seem pretty good at letting their studios run without interference.

DX:HR might not have been as good as the original, but it was a damn sight better than Invisible War.

• frightlever says:

If it’s any consolation EA and Ubisoft are likely most interested in the console and particularly the Wii properties, rather than the franchises that are strongest on PC. So nobody is likely to be fighting over the 40K DoW stuff. Saints Row may be considered too vulgar to be fought over and Darksiders hasn’t been making money (sadly).

Was Metro on console?

• frightlever says:

(Sega might be a good fit for the 40K stuff)

• Hoaxfish says:

Sega is already working with WHFB, so they could certainly sneak in for that.

• Hoaxfish says:

Saints Row is a good steal for any GTA rip-offs (whether that’s really what Saint’s Row is about or not)

• f1x says:

I cannot see Saints Row as a GTA rip-off, I think the game managed to get his own style and merits, actually I quite like Saints Row the Third much more than any GTA, but thats just a personal preference

• malkav11 says:

Saints Row has developed its own identity as a franchise over time, but it absolutely started off as a blatant GTA ripoff.

• LionsPhil says:

Hell, one of the SR2 trailers is basically “look, we’re GTA4, but with fun instead of all those boring bits”.

For their stumbles, Volition do good work. I hope they don’t get screwed over or separated from their IP by this turmoil.

• f1x says:

I should’ve said I cannot see Saints Row 3 as a GTA rip-off

Saints row 1 and 2… yeap you are right :)

• Hoaxfish says:

I only meant that a publisher could buy into Saint’s Row, and use it as a way to jump on GTA, in the same way that “modern military shooters” are almost always assumed to be CoD clones. Whether that publisher understands the difference between the two series, or “reboots” it as something closer to GTA by mistake/intentionally.

• GallonOfAlan says:

Metro:2033 was on 360

• Dave L. says:

Saints Row is the most lucrative IP that THQ owns., and probably the primary driver behind the motions to force a piecemeal sale. Lots of companies will want Saints Row, but don’t want to be saddled with Red Faction, Homefront, and Darksiders, too.

The studios are the biggest question. I just want Relic and Volition to stay intact.

I imagine Ubi is salivating over buying THQ Montreal, just so they can either fire Patrice Desilets, or make his life a living hell until his contract is up. I doubt anyone cares about Vigil, especially with Joe Madureira having quit not too long ago.

3. Rossi says:

As much as I am sad that THQ is in trouble, I hope that someone picks up the Homeworld franchise and gives it the attention it deserves.

• AmateurScience says:

To kickstarter!

• Surlywombat says:

This is very worrying as a fan of Homeworld. The Homeworld rights have not been in THQ’s hands all that long. They used to be owned by sierra, and Relic lost the ability to make Homeworld games when THQ purchased the studio.

They put some effort into getting the rights back, but as far as I’m aware they are held by THQ. There is no guarantee that should Relic be sold off as a piece, that the rights would go with them.

Of course, the fact THQ went to so much effort getting the Homeworld rights did bode well that they intended to use them, so perhaps there is some thing in production which would encourage a buyer to bring the rights across with any Relic purchase.

• Hoaxfish says:

You have nothing to worry about, if EA got its hands on Homeworld it could make an excellent FPS…. oh god! PANIC!

• The Random One says:

One can only hope after Syndicate they learned their lesson.

Ha ha yeah right

• Scumbag says:

You mean the old “Well, that did not go well. Best bury the IP in a concrete filled pit.” policy?

• Phantoon says:

Pretty sure they pioneered the concept.

• Yhamm says:

they bought Homeworld back 5 years ago, still did dow2 and coh2 after that

4. Skeletor68 says:

Ugh…

5. KikiJiki says:

It is better to die for the Emperor than to sell Relic to EA

• TinSoldier says:

Burn the Heretic (EA)! Kill the Mutant (Warner)! Purge the Unclean (Ubi)!

• Syra says:

It is Xenos.
        Hereticus, Malleus, Xenos.
        What I’m saying is, Ubi are aliens.

Must be why they always start with a message about their games being made by a team of multiple races, WHO KNEW SOME OF THEM WERE GREENSKINS?!

• The Random One says:

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, some of my best friends are greenskins, but they’re really bringing down the property values

• Hoaxfish says:

IPs for the IPs Throne

• TormDK says:

I have faith in the Emperor that 2K Games will purchase Relic and Vigil, as well as the franchises they create games with.

• MacTheGeek says:

I can’t think of a single publisher I’d rather see Relic end up with than 2K. 2K has pretty much given Firaxis free reign, and I’d like to think they’d give the same space to Relic.

6. Desmolas says:

If im a developer working on any of THQ’s games, im shitting myself that my studio will be cut to pieces in the ensuing ‘restructuring’ that happens after every buyout.

7. CMaster says:

One suspects both Relic and Volition will be snapped up quickly enough.
    Vigil might be a harder sell.

I wonder what on earth it means from Homefront 2, being developed on contract by Crytech. I mean, Crytech are surely going to want to get paid still (or have they already been). But how would any buyer of the Homefront franchise (mad they would be) fit into existing arrangements? Could crytech buy the rights back for cheap and ship it themselves?

• Xerian says:

Crytek*
      Thats about all I have to say, besides the fact that Homefront has the potential to be brilliant, only if the studio behind it isnt shit, and if its got a bigger focus on singleplayer, rather than multiplayer.

8. MeestaNob says:

The big issue from a PC gamers point of view is all THQ games are currently Steamworks compatible. If EA buys up these properties/studios that is GONE.

If Ubisoft buys up these properties that is GONE.

Warner Bros might be a safer bet, but it’s hard to say how hard they will push to acquire these things, or which ones they will try to get.

So, that leaves Valve with the cash to pick the THQ carcass clean. They haven’t shown much interest in this (yet), but I wonder if they would move to protect a large feeder source of new Steam users (ie THQ customers via their Steamworks games)?

• FionaSarah says:

All shitty restrictive DRM is still shitty restrictive DRM despite what name is on the front. Who cares about that.

• MeestaNob says:

I guess it’s the attitude of the company that is the issue.

EA have an abysmal track record of fucking their customers, turning off servers when it suits them, and even abandoning entire services (EA downloader etc).

Ubisoft tend to (eventually) bend with the wind each time they become overwhelmingly unpopular over something, however they just cant help themselves when it comes to bonehead decisions.

Edit: Another potential buyer would be Sega, but I don’t know if they are exactly flush with cash these days.

Heck, maybe Interplay will buy up THQ (LOL).

• stupid_mcgee says:

Interplay? *vomits* Interplay!? *vomits* EA or Activision would be better than… Interplay. *vomits*

I know everyone loves the old Interplay, they gave us a lot of great games, but the Interplay of today is hardly what Interplay used to be. To give you an idea, the current owners of Interplay, the Caen brothers, are the founders of Titus Interactive. Titus interactive are the wonderful people that gave us Superman 64, considered to be one of the worst games ever made. They also gave us the wonderful Xena: Warrior Princess: The Talisman of Fate and the Blues Brothers 2000 tie-in game.

I would rather no one have the IPs than Interplay. Name one single good title Interplay has released within the past 8 years that wasn’t just an HD reskin of a game released more than a decade ago.

• ahac says:

Valve fanboys care. Hm,… maybe Valve should buy everything. Quick! Someone call Gaben!

• Syra says:

I’m unclear as to why people are crying valve? They have no track record of being interested in anything other than self publishing, and as a private company have never been seen to be interested in buying other developers.

• Dave L. says:

Turtle Rock Studios and Star Filled Studios say hi (and bye again, in Turtle Rock’s case).

• mouton says:

Because people are enamored with Valve and tend to view them as messiahs or something.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Probably because Valve is the only big PC publisher out there that puts customer experience and customer satisfaction as a primary goal, they tend to price their games well, provide tons of post-support, are willing to delay games to ensure a quality product rather than ramming a title through just to fit into some marketing rep’s sales window, and they seem to be more motivated by pride in their products and a sheer interest in making good products than in solely reaping windfall profits.

Valve reminds me of Michael T. Dan, former CEO for Brink’s Security:

“At the end of the day, it is about the people who work for you,” Michael T. Dan said in a talk Thursday at the University of Richmond. “They deliver the services to your customers. It’s their morale that counts. The shareholder value will follow. It always does, and it always has in my business career.”

Yeah, money and profit is important to ensuring a company stays afloat, but if you focus only on the bottom line, then you’re ignoring your employees and customers. If you focus on your employees and customers, and you have a good product/business, the profit will come naturally.

I don’t think Valve is perfect by any stretch, but they are a pretty great company. EA used to be pretty good, too, before everyone left, like Trip Hawkins, and handed Electronic Arts over to career businessmen, like Riccitiello.

Software Artists? It is a name these people are uncomfortable with.

“I’m not so sure there are any software artists yet,” says Bill Budge. “Maybe we’ve got to earn that title.”

Pictured here are a few people who have come as close to earning it as anyone we know. They are people who expect–even presume–a deeper involvement of your imagination. They envision programs that will teach you by experience rather than memorization. They want to blur the traditional distinction between art and entertainment and education and fantasy.

I don’t know if you could really apply that to the current EA.

• D3xter says:

Except Trip Hawkins was an asshole too, e.g. read this for instance: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_14/87-The-Conquest-of-Origin

“Why the holy-fire view of William M. Hawkins III, founder of Electronic Arts? Because (as this exec explained) EA meant to win in the computer game business not only by making good games, but by preventing competitors from making good games too – by actively interfering with their ability to do business. As one example, EA had filed a frivolous lawsuit against Origin. Forced into a costly out-of-court settlement, Origin execs asked Trip Hawkins why he had allowed the suit; he responded, “This is just business. This is the way we’re going to win.”

Furthermore, EA was all about marketing. For Hawkins the question was never, “How good is this game?” It was always, “How can we sell this?” To high-minded execs at Origin – makers of the Ultima and Wing Commander series, the high priests of the high end, who valued commitment to an artistic vision – this attitude was sacrilege.”

• Skabooga says:

I want to cry a little every time I see that.

• HothMonster says:

Don’t all WB games use GFWL?

• stupid_mcgee says:

I can’t say that they all do, as I’m not completely familiar with WB’s library. They do tend to include GFWL on multi-platform releases, presumably because of the ease of porting from 360 to PC. While Batman: Arkham City did use GFWL, FEAR 3 (also published by WB) doesn’t have GFWL So, it seems that WB’s use of GFWL is not consistent. My guess would be that it’s up to the studio, but I don’t really concretely know.

9. Mr. Mister says:

Hey Nintendo, want some more WiiU exclusives?

10. paulapuffmutter says:

I always wondered what THQ stands for….

• Low Life says:

Apparently they used to make toys and were called Toy Head-Quarters.

• Syra says:

It doesn’t, it’s just THQ since they rebranded from being a toy company to a games publisher – it was toy headquarters many years ago.

• MeestaNob says:

Tax Haven Quagmire

• paulapuffmutter says:

Another problem solved…time for a drink!

• stupid_mcgee says:

There’s no need to wait until after you’ve solved a problem to get a drink, because drinking solves all of your problems.

11. Kollega says:

My greatest hope here is that Warhammer 40k properties THQ holds (yes, even Dawn of War – i’m willing to take that sacrifice, hate me all you want for that) get lost in the confusion, never to be seen again. But as we know all too well, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, especially when money is involved.

• Syra says:

Heretic.

• Kollega says:

And proud to be. DOWN WITH THE TYRANNY OF SPIKES AND SKULLS!

• Stellar Duck says:

Why?

• Kollega says:

The gist of it is: i hate it when grimdarkness and humorlessness are combined. I’ve played Dawn of War, and the presentation consistently fails to make light of Warhammer’s idiotic levels of grimness and brutality like it’s sometimes done with the tabletop game, because of the super-serious acting and narration. Plus, while it’s bad enough when “the good guys” are Catholic Space Nazis, it’s taken to a whole another level when people are seriously rooting for them and urge me to do the same.

These are my reasons to want a decline in the popularity of 40k.

• KikiJiki says:

You must have missed the memo entitled: ORKS

• Kollega says:

Orks, as funny as they sometimes can be, don’t really help. Maybe it’s because they’re the only faction with any comic relief at all, and even then it’s not too much.

• x1501 says:

You sound like a selfish prick. Don’t like the games? Don’t play them. It’s not like anyone forces you to. I, for one, like the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and the Dawn of War series in particular contains some the best games I have ever played. Finishing DoW2 on Primarch in co-op, for example, was especially memorable, and I’d be utterly devastated to see the series die because of THQ’s financial incompetence.

Since these are not exactly the kinds of games that by any stretch of the imagination can be said to negatively affect gaming in general, how about instead of actively rooting for their extinction without a good reason, you just skip them altogether and play something you’d enjoy?

• BathroomCitizen says:

Kollega, I really missed your WH40k hate-posts!

Glad to see you back on the job!

• Syra says:

• TimMc says:

I want W40k and Planetside to make sweet love and produce offspring…

Eldar vs SM vs Chaos, with orks running around irritating everyone. Everyone gets titans and can always submit to chaos and become a bloodthirster.

12. Vegard Pompey says:

Here’s hoping a company that isn’t run by idiots picks up SR.

• ffordesoon says:

Wait, but why would a company from outside the game industry be interested in THQ’s properties?

13. JD Ogre says:

“Clearlake Capital”? “Distressed Debt Investing”? Ugh. Godsdamned vultures.

14. Dowr says:

I can believe THQ are betting their future on an RTS and a sequel to a pretty hardcore game that didn’t sell hugely well – this is why I love them and hate to see the company dissipate.

• vincio09 says:

I hope Relic and their IPs don’t get separated. I’m still hoping for Homeworld 3.

• NinjaTurdles says:

The ex homeworld guys are a little busy making a facebook game at the moment.

blackbirdinteractive.com

15. Didero says:

This leaves us just two weeks to launch the Kickstarter to buy up Volition and force them to make Freespace 3.

• Stellar Duck says:

While I would pay a pint of unicorns blood to have Volition abandon the obnoxious Saint’s Row games and finally make a good game again, I doubt we’ll get a good game by forcing them to it. :(

• FriendlyFire says:

Forcing them? Volition has already said they’d be interested. The issue’s not with Volition, it’s that publishers are scared of making a new space sim.

• BathroomCitizen says:

Well, Star Citizen has proven that people are STILL QUITE INTERESTED in space sims.

• TimMc says:

Yeah if Volition tried to go solo and make Freespace 3 using kickstarter, I have no doubt people would throw money at that.

• Parge says:

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

16. The Random One says:

Sad news all around, THQ was one of the good ‘uns.

That said, I think people are freaking out over nothing in here. Ubi ain’t that bad, they only had crazy DRM schemes. The way they handle the Assassins’ Creed and Far Cry franchises shows that they know games should not shy away from dealing with big topics; it’s just to bad they’re awful at it. And EA is bad, but most of their bad comes from their stupid marketing campaigns; the games and studios are mostly OK. I think most franchises will live.

• f1x says:

Problem is EA seems to be too intrusive with development times and what the studios are actually developing and how the directions they should take

I have a friend who works at Crytek (Frankfurt HQ) and he was always talking about how EA representatives were literally breathing on their necks all the time to push the game for release

Guess thats a normal thing in the gaming industry specially with high budget projects but still EA seems to be one of the most intrusive producers/publishers

For the rest, even if I’m sad about it, I think Ubisoft could handle some of THQ IPs quite decently

• zaprowsdower says:

Have to disagree with you there. EA’s products have consistently gone down in quality over the years, I’ve been disappointed in every EA game that I’ve purchased in recent memory. And the fact that Origin is a massive pile of shit.

17. Laythe_AD says:

Really concerned about relic, and ownership of CoH, and more importantly, Homeworld.

18. Tuco says:

Please Square Enix, save us from Ubisoft and EA.

• RedViv says:

At least pick up the Saints. Keep the studio, so you can just put Nomura in charge of developing clothing for that universe, and keep him away from FF forever.
      The End

• ffordesoon says:

I realize you’re joking, but that is genuinely an amazing idea.

“Here, Nomura-san! Draw all the belts and zippers you want! Make a character called Man-Of-Belts!”

19. Cross says:

On the positive side: Maybe Homefront 2 gets canned, so we have less clutter in the autumn.

20. NinjaTurdles says:

Maybe we should inform the ex-Homeworld guys over at Black Bird Interactive that Homeworld is for sale? We might actually be able to get Rob Cunningham on the 3rd Homeworld instalment! Failing that I guess they will continue and make their facebook game :(

21. Rubyace says:

Hoping that 2k games picks up some games.

22. Corrupt_Tiki says:

And now I’m going to kill myself Max Payne style, with cocktails of Straight alcohol and Painkillers.

:c

More great games about to be butchered by boardroom men. The humanity.

• zaprowsdower says:

Yup. I’m seeing nothing positive happening based on this latest news.

23. kud13 says:

Here’s hoping Squeenix swoops in to swipe Vigil to keep Darksiders going.

And then it’ll let them make a Legacy of Kain game.

24. teamcharlie says:

I’m just hoping that whoever picks up Volition doesn’t have a competing sandbox crime game. If so, there’s no way we’re seeing more Saints Row and that makes me very sad in the pants.

25. Synesthesia says:

Dont you dare touch my company of heroes, EA. Keep your sticky hands off it.

26. BathroomCitizen says:

Please, please, I hope that nothing bad will happen to Relic.

27. ffordesoon says:

This is truly hideous news. None of the potential buyers (barring a miraculous rescue by Valve) strike me as particularly appealing suitors.

The worst news, however, is the apparently deadly effect THQ’s admittedly desperate embrace of the pay-what-you-want model had on Clearlake. That was a genius move, and it was working. But it won’t be remembered by other publishers that way. To them, every part of the THQ story will be a cautionary tale, and the Humble Bundle deal will be seen as a betrayal of the investors, despite the fact that the stock went up and revenue started flowing. But noooooo, it wasn’t enough for Clearlake Financial!

“We gotta keep those prices high, or who knows what’ll happen? Look at THQ!”

Ugh.

• zaprowsdower says:

You bring up some really good but unfortunate points. The only thing I’m seeing is that a great developer was ruined by greed.

28. Marik Bentusi says:

Well, on the upside, a lot of THQ’s titles were original IPs, so even if they sell off the old ones, they in theory should have the chemistry to make something fresh and new. *IF* they somehow manage to recover from all this.