Raid Rage: Deus Ex HR Devs Demo Tomb Raider Multi

By Nathan Grayson on January 9th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

BOWSPLOSION, apparently.

Somewhat surprisingly (by which I mean completely unsurprisingly, given the era in which we live), Tomb Raider has multiplayer. Naturally, this has been a source of great outrage among even the least fly-harming-est of gamers, as it’s a distinct disruption of The Natural Order. Granted, it does have two things working in its favor: 1) Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light added co-op multi to pretty great effect and 2) the mode’s an entirely separate, presumably cybernetic leg of the game being attached by none other than Deus Ex: Human Revolution developer Eidos Montreal. Here, now, brown cow, is a video of some finely mustachioed men introducing it to the star of spy dramadey Chuck for some reason.

Huh. Hrrrm. Yeah, OK, it looks really deathmatch-y. I mean, I find the idea of a focus on environment traversal pretty promising, seeing as Lara’s better known for looking and leaping than running and gunning. Beyond that, though, the bits Eidos Montreal actually demoed looked worrisomely standard after all their talk of doing something more. I mean, sure, there are traps and whatnot as well, but yippee. Giant, Zeus-tempting lightning wands will only keep people entertained for so long.

BUT WAIT, BOWS.

Admittedly, I’ve only seen a teensy portion of Tomb Raider’s full hand of modes and options at this point, so I’m not writing it off just yet. But it’s going to take something pretty special to convince me its multiplayer modes are worthwhile. Oh well, though. Single-player doesn’t seem to have suffered for it, so at least there’s that. But one day, I hope to live in a world where games like Dishonored – that is, those that confidently bound onto virtual shelves strutting their solo stuff – are the rule, not the exception. One day.

, , , .

1. AbyssUK says:

If there was a Trackmania style race to the tomb multi player option, that would rock!

• cynthialorenzo6 says:

my buddy’s mother-in-law makes $65/hr on the laptop. She has been without a job for 8 months but last month her pay check was $19945 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more here..Money Hot Spot

2. karthink says:

I don’t think he understands what a catch-22 is.

I don’t care much for Tomb Raider or its multiplayer component, but I do hope Eidos don’t shoehorn it into Thiefourf or the (inevitable) next Deus Ex.

• KenTWOu says:

…I do hope Eidos don’t shoehorn it into Thiefourf or the (inevitable) next Deus Ex.

Just imagine Thief 4 multiplayer mode which works similar to Hitman:Absolution Contracts mode. Where you can creatively steal stuff from any NPC on any campaign level providing false evidences on your crime scene: fingerprints, personal belongings or even NPC’s unconscious body in order to falsely prove NPC’s guilty of that crime.

• dee says:

Maybe not, but Thievery was pretty great.

Crimsoneer says:

I kind of wish they focused on more DX: HR dlc instead of tomb raider multiplayer stuff. Such a shame that game was abandoned after the Missing Link.

• Cytrom says:

Only incomplete games need dlc tbh. Human Revolution wasn’t one.

Cinek says:

Incomplete games perhaps. Good games need expansion packs though. I’d love something new being released for DXHR.

4. Rao Dao Zao says:

And real shelves, too! I still like boxes and manuals. ;_;

But amen to this.

• f1x says:

You are right,

even tho this year was not so bad for single-player experiences if you compare to previous ones

5. tobecooper says:

What is the meaning of this, Square? Shouldn’t Eidos Montreal be doing Thi4f? Though maybe this is just a part of the team that has finished their proper work already.

• ulix says:

Eidos Montreal has like 400 employees. The Deus Ex HR team was never the same team as the Thief 4 team. So this is probably (maybe?) the Deus Ex team, while the Thief 4 team is (hopefully) still hard at work on Thief 4. And then there’s probably other teams there as well.

• Low Life says:

I really hope (and am fairly certain) that this is a third team, because the DXHR team should be making another Deus Ex game. Because I want one of those.

6. ulix says:

The DO all have amazing beards.

7. IshtarGate says:

‘Home of the multi-award winning game, Deus Ex’. Man, Eidos Montreal really rocked back in 2000, it’s a shame about the gap of nothingness they made between 2003 and 2011.

Cinek says:

lol. You do realize that Eidos Montreal was founded in 2007 and DXHR was their first project?
      You don’t. I thought so.

• ZIGS says:

You should check your sarcasm detector mate, I think it has some fried circuitry

• IshtarGate says:

You mean to imply that the voice of nerds worldwide, the Zac Levi himself would be wrong about this? Preposterous good sir, and good day to you!

• wubastard says:

want some history on this game? look into Shadowhunter, Sega genesis, late 80′s early 90′s……. same game…..

• wubastard says:

btw, anyone realize they stole the game from Shadowhunter, was on sega genisis way back in the day

8. ulix says:

It does look an awful lot like Uncharted Multiplayer. Which makes sense, and isn’t a bad thing.

• f1x says:

What I’m afraid of is that this new Tomb Raider gets too similar to Uncharted after all,

Not saying that Uncharted is a bad game, but its not very Tomb Raiderish

FriendlyFire says:

There’s a reason for this reboot: the whole franchise was stalling badly.

• Mman says:

“The problem is that I think nobody really knows what “Tomb Raiderish” even means anymore. Tomb Raider stood for many different things, a large proportion of which have been done better since, or are no more relevant.”

The only part of Tomb Raider I can think of that “isn’t relevant” anymore is Lara’s sexulisation. Even Underworld in it’s incredibly undercooked state (which sold well by the standards of most series despite that) had a style that pretty much no other game does in it’s best moments. Ripping off every popular feature from other modern series is the last thing it needs (and the parts that did in the last three games coincidentally happened to be some of the most universally slammed sections of them), which is unfortunate as this reboot sounded really exciting when the initial concepts came out, but it’s been many previews later and they’ve still failed to show much beyond movie-game bullshit and murdering hordes of people with the occasional perfunctory puzzle (now with multiplayer!).

It doesn’t help that the previews for this game at several places have hinted at various negatives, and given that those are normally pure ass-kissing on any semi-high budget game that’s not a good sign.

FriendlyFire says:

What exactly is it that Tomb Raider still does like none other?

• Mman says:

“Lara’s sexualisation was a large part of the appeal for a section of the demographic. Let’s not blind ourselves to that. The medium and the fanbase has aged, and that appeal has mostly vanished.”

Emphasis on “a section”. Actually the ironic thing is that the sales stats for the series suggest that the sales started to drop as the amount of sexualisation got higher.

“What exactly is it that Tomb Raider still does like none other?”

The way the level design mixes exploration, platforming and puzzle solving. I’ve tried many supposed “similar” games, but I’ve yet to come across any other that does it remotely the same way overall. Which incidentally goes back to Underworld and the future of the “formula” as a whole; it being so unfinished made a lot of the design quite diluted and resulted in stuff like bad action levels and large areas with almost no actual content. The problem with the formula in recent years is that it’s execution has been very flawed and does little to tap into it’s full potential at all, as opposed to any actual fundamental issue with it.

• televizor says:

My sentiments exactly.
      When saw the first footage of the reboot, it was clear that they were going for the Uncharted feel but the multi is copy/ paste with bow. And I loved Uncharted, best PS3 series I’ve played.

9. Gwyddelig says:

Mother of Holy Jeebus but that is one of the worst titles of an RPS article I’ve seen in a long while. There’s barely a full word in it.

Ban This Sick Filth. Natch.

10. Megakoresh says:

I don’t understand how competitive multiplayer can have the same feeling as a survival game.

11. Derezzedjack says:

Am I the only one that thought the screenshot in the beginning of the article showed in-game footage looking over the shoulder of Adam Jensen?

12. Totally heterosexual says:

I still don’t get why, a supposedly “survival” based game, would have multiplayer.

13. skyturnedred says:

Why is Zachary blonde? For the upcoming Thor movie?

14. eclipse mattaru says:

“Single-player doesn’t seem to have suffered for it”

Really? So the money for this comes from a completely different money pit that Eidos added on top of the original TR’s budget?