As Seen On PC: Defiance Beta Begins This Month

By Nathan Grayson on January 10th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Games and TV haven’t exactly had the best relationship over the years. Nor have games and movies, or books, or pretty much anything that’s not games. I’ve wondered for quite a while, though, whether transmedia’s series of spectacular face-plants has been due to fundamental incompatibility between mediums or a simple lack of meaningful collaboration. Defiance – with its frequent, meticulously planned crossovers – might be able to answer that question. But honestly, if the game’s not any good, why should anyone care about what the tiny people who live inside their televisions do or say? Naturally, then, Defiance’s upcoming beta events are of interest. You can scope out its vision of an alien-overrun Wild West future San Francisco and maybe help make it better. A little. Details after the break.

Trion plans to hold a series of beta weekends in the coming weeks, and the first one’s just about to crash into our PC gaming master society and change the world as we know it. Or just, you know, last for a couple of days. It kicks off on January 18th and focuses on the MMO’s early goings.

“Part treasure hunter, part mercenary, ark hunters are genetically enhanced operatives who are fearless and lethal, dedicated in their mission to recover valuable alien technology and sell it to the highest bidder.¬†Players who participate in Advanced Mission Beta 1 will have full access to the tutorial, the expansive terraformed terrain of Mt. Tam, the Waterfront competitive multiplayer map, and the fierce Shadow War open world competitive multiplayer and Arkfall massive co-op boss battles.”

You can go sign up over in yonder link pastures, if you’re feeling so inclined. Otherwise, you can just do nothing. Nothing at all. Ever again.

Or, if you don’t view lack of interest in an MMO beta as reason for a nihilistic conclusion to all of your daily functions, here are a couple trailers. One’s for the game, and the other’s for the TV show. But WHICH ONE IS WHICH? (Hint: it’s really not that hard.)

Hm, the show looks like Firefly if it fell into a silly nose and giant eyeball bin, but the game definitely gives off a Rift-but-with-guns vibe. For now, I’m intrigued, but doubtful of their ability to really sync up in terms of tone and atmosphere. Still though, fingers crossed for something special. It all kicks off in April. Will you be tuning in?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Loque says:

F2P in 5… 4… 3…

• iGark says:

WHAT ARE THE NEXT TWO NUMBERS? DON’T LEAVE US HANGING

• Loodac says:

How do you know there are only two more? Is this some kind of conspiracy?

• darlenejeffrey2 says:

Julia. even though Lisa`s blog is shocking… last monday I bought a new Peugeot 205 GTi from bringing in $4092 this-past/5 weeks and in excess of ten k last munth. this is definitely the most comfortable job I’ve ever done. I actually started six months/ago and almost straight away startad earning more than $82 per/hr. I work through this link..Golden Job

• max_1111 says:

They’re in the cash shop and cost $25 a piece.

2. jumblesale says:

Leeloo Dallas multipass?

3. skyturnedred says:

Julie Benz? Count me in.

4. SkittleDiddler says:

Chicks without eyebrows freak me out. At least they didn’t force Julie Benz to shave hers off.

5. Kaminnozh says:

This will be challenging! Also, if the game and show will have same environment, like special locations, towns etc, this will be so amazing.

• Shuck says:

The show and the game are set in completely different locations. I’m sure they set it up that way because there’s no real way to have meaningful overlap in terms of story and events between the two.

• max_1111 says:

What?

You mean M4573RCH13F or 007PEN15SC0PE420 won’t ever be mentioned in the show?!
        How dull.

6. Inigo says:

I miss Time of Defiance.

7. Rossi says:

Is that Brent Spiner at 0:57?

8. Engonge says:

Just because you’re doing 2 things simultaneously doesnt make it revolutionary on it’s own.We will see how they will interact with each other.

That said,I’ll give the series a shot.

9. Rossi says:

Looks like a cross between Firefly and Farscape with a hint of BSG

10. apocraphyn says:

Reminds me of Tabula Rasa. Sort of. Wonder if it’ll have the same amount of success…

• f1x says:

I was thinking just the same,

the game doesn’t look bad… but….neither did Tabula Rasa

• piercehead says:

I loved Tabula Rasa as did a lot of people when the carpet was dragged out from underneath it while it was still making money.

• f1x says:

I played Tabula Rasa a bit and enjoyed it aswell, but it was lacking something… perhaps the thing is also that I was hooked on WoW still by that time

I’m not well informed about the exact reasons that made it disappear so soon, so you think it was still fairly succesful but got cut out?

11. pretty fiendish says:

Defiance, I like the idea of you. However, I can’t help but wonder how they plan on making this work. Call me a cynical old git, but I’m worried that the vision I have in my head and the reality of how the two mediums interact won’t quite match up. But putting my youthful and optimistic head on for a second, I like that they’re trying something this ambitious, and I’d quite like to be a part of it, whatever ‘it’ ends up being. To be honest I’ve played some pretty woeful games in my time so this isn’t the time to be getting fussy. Plus I do love the kind of shows the trailer seems to be similar to. I do have visions of 4chan or some other nefarious group mobilizing their troops to kill off all the main characters though, which would be as funny as it is unlikely to be possible.

• Shuck says:

There’s a good deal of separation between the show and game – I don’t think any characters will even overlap. I’m not quite sure, besides being set in the same world, what the two will even share. They claim that each will feed into the other, but I rather suspect it will be limited and mostly from the show to the game. They’ve hinted that the first group or individual to achieve certain things in the game gets mentioned in the show, but all you need is for the character to be named LeroyJenkins69 and the idea starts falling apart.

• pilot13 says:

Any mentions in the show will probably be like ‘Gee, did you hear about that giant dragon thing a bunch of nerds killed somewhere miles away?’

• Shuck says:

Which really is pretty meaningless, as far as “cross pollination” of stories/characters/ideas across the two mediums goes. I’m so skeptical of the whole thing.

12. maryhelen975 says:

my best friend’s step-sister makes $74 hourly on the computer. She has been without a job for five months but last month her paycheck was $14405 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.bit90.com