Far Cry 3′s Outpost App Lets You Log On As You Log On

By Craig Pearson on January 10th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Log on. Log. Get it?
A few months before Far Cry 3 was released, I was given a glimpse at the multiplayer and a social network phone application that would let you fiddle with the main game’s weapons. Then the game came out and there was nothing of the sort included. I got paranoid, presuming it to be part of a conspiracy. To what end? I imagined that when the game came out and it didn’t arrive, people wouldn’t trust anything I said about phones ever again. Then one day I’d be beaten, left for dead, and a bystander would run up and ask me if I needed help? I’d tell them to call for an ambulance, but they’d say: “You’re the guy that said I could use my phone to unlock guns in Far Cry 3′s multiplayer, you don’t get to use my phone anymore.” They’d put their phone away and no ambulance would ever come. Ubisoft released the damn app last night. I unlocked my bunker door, sacked my bodyguard, and came out of hiding. To celebrate, here’s the trailer for the app.

I’m not a big fan of Far Cry 3′s derivative multiplayer, but I do like the trend of supplemental apps hooking into bigger games. I tend to obsess over games I’m playing, and would rather be fiddling with bits of them than gaming on my phone. So if any of you are deep into the Far Cry multiplayer or co-op scene, it’s a handy and free app that you can use to unlock and share weapons, or fiddle with attachments. Here’s an overlong and silly video to show you how to do it.

Far Cry 3: the perfect toilet distraction.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Grey Ganado says:

I’m sure this app would be useful if FarCry didn’t delete my loadout everytime I start it up.

• darlenejeffrey2 says:

If you think Randy`s story is unbelievable,, a month-ago my sisters mother in-law worked and got paid $5093 working ninteen hours a week from their apartment and their friend’s sister-in-law`s neighbour done this for four months and made over $5093 part-time from a computer. applie the information here..Golden Job

2. Trithne says:

Why can’t marketers write stuff that I could believe people would say?

3. Brun says:

but I do like the trend of supplemental apps hooking into bigger games

This has been going on for several years now, it’s not exactly a new trend. EA or Activision usually release some kind of throwaway iOS and Android app alongside their major franchise titles. Most of the time they’re of little value and primarily there for marketing purposes, and interact with the game in a very FarmVille-ish fashion.

For those reasons I actually dislike this trend. As I said these kinds of apps are mainly there for marketing, to get the name “Far Cry 3″ to show up in the App Store, because the marketing departments know that lots of eyeballs are seeing those App Store pages. It’s another example of content makers playing “follow the people” rather than “follow the money.” As Zynga found out, there are huge numbers of people on Facebook and Mobile, but not many of those are willing to drop money on apps like this one. For publishers these things are just another way to waste more money on advertising instead of actually making good games.

4. Shooop says:

Far Cry 3: the perfect toilet distraction.

Indeed. Because after the novelty wears off in two hours of play or so that’s as good as any place to leave it.

5. SuperNashwanPower says:

Played single player. Forced self to end despite rage. Consigned game to bin. Definitely didn’t think about.multiplayer. Therefore Mr Craig I Will gladly save you if you are bleeding.

Unless you are bleeding in an unskippable cutscene or Quick(ly infuriating) Time Event. Then I will switch you off and maybe uninstall you and give you a zero on metacritic.

Hug

• Dervish says:

For someone to feel like Far Cry 3 has a particularly high number of cutscenes and QTEs, I feel like they would have to be doing nothing but going through the story missions as quickly as possible.

• Kevin Costner says:

Well, I suppose you’re correct; if you intentionally avoid the game’s story and furthering the plot – yes, you can avoid the many, many unskippables.

Far Cry 3 felt to me like another nonsense railed soap opera which seems to accidentally have a groovy sandbox for a while.

At least in FC2 you could wander outside the story in perpetuity, in 3 that gets you a pretty boring island rather quickly.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

“Seems to accidentally have a groovy sandbox for a while”.

Agreed, exactly this. Its tacked on, a separate game to the actual game, and a very short one at that. Once the outposts and radio towers are done (which if you are competent will take you a few repetitive hours), you follow the clear directions to the not-hidden-at-all secret sonic the hedgehog macguffin collections to unlock stuff, do the two standard cookie cutter outpost missions over and over, which are confined to a map the size of a paddling pool, and maybe rescue a woman standing 25 feet from her closet husband (What, she couldnt have gone outside her house and looked for herself?)

After that you have one very dead island, and thats it for the open world. Unless your idea of cutting edge open world emergent combat is chasing a turtle with a shotgun or poking friendlies with sticks to make them annoyed.

6. Ansob says:

You know what would actually be useful? An app that turns your tablet or phone into a real-time Far Cry 3 map so you don’t need to open it ingame, rather than one that’s about watching progress bars go up so you can grind for tiny bits of extraneous gameplay. :(

7. hypercrisis says:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of this?

You watch a progress bar on your phone to unlock weapons? Sounds like one of the most mundane and pointless gimmicks around

• CmdrCrunchy says:

Basically theres an unlock system called decoding where you get decodable items for playing multiplayer (competitive or co-op) and then you decode the items in real time outside of the game. No sitting and watching necessary.

Basically a way for people like me who have quite a lot of items they can decode to sort them out away from the computer.

• darkChozo says:

In addition, if this is like the website, this app also lets you play around with loadouts and such without loading up the game. That’s really nice in itself, either if you like playing around with inventory mechanics or just don’t want to use the in game loadout editor (which seems to work better on the website, for probably-not-console-related reasons).

8. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I endorse the recent trend that allows, encourages, or mandates us to game from upon our porcelain thrones.

9. LXM says:

At least it crashes regularly just like the real Far Cry 3!

• Luringen says:

Far Cry 3 doesn’t crash for me, but this app… Christ, it’s so horribly buggy! I’ve even gotten other peoples loadouts! After loads of crashes, it finally succumbed to the bugs and now refuses to start up. Re-install didn’t help. Can’t recommend at all.

10. deadly.by.design says:

Obligatory “Yo dawg…”

11. Pindie says:

A new application for your phone that requires you to log in regularly and tap the screen with optional buggering your friends.

Revolutionary!

12. nu1mlock says:

Who cares about the app, this has been available on the web ever since the game was released (give or take a few days due to maintenance). One has been able to use the website from a phone ever since it went online, why would an app be necessary?

13. Lanfranc says:

Video: Boring, boring, bori-zzzzzzzz…

New concept: Redman wakes up, finds that the progress-bar thingy for the shotgun-thingy has only gotten to 25% overnight. Sad, distraught and dejected, he goes to work. On the way, a tiger appears! As Redman doesn’t have his shotgun-thingy yet, he is defenceless and is mauled to death! (Oh noes!)

Meanwhile! Greenman wakes up, and, being on his game and having previously enlisted the help of his friends, finds that the progress-bar thingy for the shotgun-thingy has completed overnight. He gets his shotgun-thingy. Happy, upbeat and optimistic, he goes to work. On the way, a tiger appears! Blueman easily dispatches the ravenous beast with his new shotgun-thingy! (Hurrah!)

Call to action: “Get the new app!” Fade to logo and cut.

This is a concept that needs more tigers, is what I’m saying. (Ubisoft, you’re welcome. Call me!)

14. Thiefsie says:

OK so two things – why does this recklessly rip-off Portal videos?

Is this mildly worthwhile if I have no friends??

• darkChozo says:

Because it totally fits Far Cry 3′s aesthetic. Totally.

Yup, friends just speed up the bars that you don’t pay attention to (plus this lets you edit loadouts, which is actually useful). If a bar taking two hours of inattention to fill up rather than just one bothers you, then I would hire some actors to pretend they are your friends.

15. beekay says:

I’m confused. Why are the Portal paper-people advertising Far Cry 3, and why are they so much more disgusting and awful?

16. Thermal Ions says:

The app has been out since 20th December on both iTunes and Google Play, although the bugs reports in the comments on Google Play make you winder if it’s worth the time.

17. Dezztroy says:

This is nice and all, but too bad that Outpost is buggy as all hell. Currently wondering if I should just cancel these two decoders that have for some reason gone up to 708 hours to complete.

18. deadfolk says:

I can’t believe no-one has yet made a comment about how useless this is for the huge amount of people (myself included) still unable to get FC3 to even connect to the UPlay servers.

Corrected.