Jog Your Memory With This Remember Me Trailer

By Craig Pearson on January 10th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

The Forbidden RPS Chatroom of Mystery drew a blank when I mentioned that there was a new trailer for Remember Me. John in particular appeared to have a memory hole, and when he checked Capcom’s side he found no relevant information. He’s right, go to their site and search for the game. You’ll end-up back where you started. At first I thought he’d been brain-hacked, like the game’s star Nilin can do. Then I remembered living with him, and hearing him shout about forgetting to pick up his coffee mug after going into the kitchen to specifically make a cup.

It is the future, so we have robot architects, hexagonal buildings, and lots of floating information. The basis of the game is a mixture of parkour, fighting and memory hacking, but the trailer only really shows off the punchy punchy parts, and therefore presents a skewed look at Remember Me. I’m told it’s a game where you can generate your own combos. I’d like to create combo, because one of the people she fights is called ‘Kid Xmas’, and an ally is named ‘Bad Request’. Every fricking hacker tale has to come with silly names. You know what my hacking handle is? ‘Craig’. My combo would specifically target the part of the brain that comes up with silly hacker names.

It’s worth looking at the video from Gamescom, because the trailer’s flashiness hides the mix of stealth and puzzles that are integral to the game. It’s probably the only Capcom game of recent memory that I have any interest in, though I expect the memory mechanics won’t be fully pushed to their potential.

It’s slated for May 2013.

, , .

1. luukdeman111 says:

Something about this game makes me hate it…. Already! I can’t really put my finger on why , because I normally like action – adventure titles…. But this game just makes me angry…

• Hoaxfish says:

It could be a new Deus Ex with Beyond Good and Evil, but instead it’s Assassin’s Creed’s Desmond.

• Carbonated Dan says:

right down to the white hoodie, which she doesn’t even use in the rain

snark aside, the game really does intrigue me, simply because it’s the first time I’ve seen a coherent vision of our augmented reality future, and that kind of communication with the actual world is far too rare in mainstream gaming

hopefully it won’t be so incapable of nuance as DX: Hamfist Revolution, but whatever happens, I think it’s worth looking out for

• Felix says:

The writing has already shown itself to be godawful. At least DXHR had good writers, namely the emails and newspapers.

• Silva says:

I personally haven’t really seen much of this game so I can’t even begin to tell whether it has decent writing or not so I’ll reserve my judgement on that until later.

But even assuming bad writing, terrible writing even, if the devs take this opportunity to do some solid world building that we can get interested and lost in, I think that’d be enough for me to enjoy this a good deal.

The whole aesthetic of a super imposed virtual UI in the real world (and people’s minds/senses) that can cover up what’s real or change what we perceive all together is pretty intriguing already.

Clearly there is great potential here. My expectations are cautiously low but my hope is great.

For a nicely wrought world to explore a bit if nothing else.

• Richeh says:

Hah, it does actually look like they’ve taken Deus Ex’s boyparts and forced them into BGE’s girlparts, then rubbed them vigorously together until a baby dropped out. All the genes. Not so much love.

• Jnx says:

It’s like they compiled all the annoying visual and audio effects into a single game! I like that someone tries to do something different but don’t think this is a thing for me.

• SkittleDiddler says:

The game is just starting to get Dishonored-like levels of coverage in the media, and that’s enough for me to dislike it. Hype is the mindkiller.

Plus, it honestly doesn’t look very good.

• lordcooper says:

This is literally the second time I’ve ever heard of it. Where is this media that is being hidden from me?

• mondomau says:

Right? I had no idea this game existed and I visit 2 or 3 gaming blogs on a daily basis.

• SkittleDiddler says:

There’s been a fair amount of coverage over the last couple months that suddenly just started ramping up in the last few days. I don’t know how you missed the first steady barrage of news bits, but now that the official press releases have started picking up steam I doubt you’ll be able to avoid them anymore, especially if you visit RPS, PC Gamer, or GameSpy on a regular basis. They’re as guilty as any other blog of taking part in the hype saturation machine.

• Chris D says:

A quick tag search reveals that RPS and PC gamer have posted one article each in the last few days and nothing since September before that. Are you sure you’re not overstating this just a tiny bit?

• SkittleDiddler says:

Looks like it. I’m a little sensitive to press advertising in general. I also realized earlier that I was getting Remember Me mixed up with Watch Dogs, so that probably didn’t help my case much.

Still, we’ll see how much the marketing ramps up until the point of release day.

• povu says:

Perhaps it’s the annoying voice of the protagonist and the cheesy writing?

• Richeh says:

I blame the voice acting. Every character’s lines are over or under delivered.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

I agree – that voice acting is hilariously over the top – which means it might end up being pretty fun.

It can’t be worse than Syndicate was, can it?

2. applecado says:

First video looked totally boring – another batman/sleeping togs punch-em-up. The second was more interesting, but I imagine that just like Dishonored, unless you’re one of the level designers, it’ll end up just being a shootypuncher, instead of an explorerstealth.

AmateurScience says:

Ah I see the marketing department have decided all the interesting stuff was less likely to sell than some good old fashioned facepunching groinkneeing ACTION.

I am interested in this, but I haven’t played and enjoyed a Capcom game since Resi 2, so I feel the need to be cautious.

• f1x says:

Gotta love obsolete marketing departments, “our customers will love some action and punching just like the did in the 80s!, nothing has changed!” which sometimes is true tho

On the other hand, yeap Capcom is a name that inspires some reserves nowadays, doesnt seem to be any problem with their latest Street Fighter iterations tho (on PC)

4. SocraticIrony says:

Do you think she remembers having the Botox done?

5. Knightley4 says:

There is something with the colors in the game that makes me sick.

6. BrendanJB says:

If I don’t know any better, I’d say this was done by the same studio that made Hydrophobia. Same stilted animations and sub-par voice acting. The action segments look extremely bland and boring, and although the memory mechanic is an awesome idea, it looks like it’s limited to “press X on the things in the right order to win”.

Still mildly interested, but I’m not gonna go out of my way to stay updated on it.

• f1x says:

ouch, Hydrophobia.. argh… humpf, why did you made me remember that game?

• Pindie says:

The vomit inducing camera angles, unresponsive mouse aim and 60 degree narrow vision. How could anyone forget.

Hydrophobia would actually be somewhat enjoyable if it wasn’t for technical flaws and lack of PC options like adjustable FoV.

Bungie better get off their asses and just make Oni2 already, we need some benchmark for the genre.

maninahat says:

What reminds me the most is that, like in Hydrophobia, there is an attempt by the devs to address the issue of female characters in games…by photocopying decent previous female protagonists, and somewhere in that process, make them into utterly bland, pretty, 20-something, generic action girls with no stand out personalities

Henke says:

Hydrophobia is probably a good comparison, yeah. A mediocre game with a few interesting ideas. Expecting just about the same from this.

maninahat says:

Something that’s bugging me from the gameplay vid: Nilin balks at the idea of murdering the official, but she is totally fine in fucking with his head and duping him into suicide. What? Presumably this is the first time she’s killed someone this way, otherwise her handler wouldn’t feel the need to explain to her, and yet she is totally okay with gaslighting someone to death?

Dilapinated says:

Yeah, that was a pretty jarring turnabout.

• Silva says:

I didn’t see anything that indicated she was suddenly totally fine with killing him, even if arguably indirectly.

Just because she was personally affronted by the idea that she was ordered/given a directive to kill what seems to be an ‘enemy’ doesn’t mean that she would shirk from doing what’s needed for whatever their cause is or to protect whatever it is she and her radio buddy are fighting for.

This disconnect doesn’t seem to be as sure as, say, the disconnect in Sleeping Dogs when you shoot a person for the first time, which apparently was supposed to be a big development…

…except that it was pretty likely the player had already been snapping necks and holding people’s heads in spinning fan blades for a while already.

8. Radiant says:

Capcom is doing this?
    Should be good. At least the fighting should be in any case.

Smashbox says:

I am 1337 and a haxxor and I’m currently backtracing your mystery chatroom.

10. Richeh says:

Hacker names are silly, but then you did just use the word “fricking” in the same sentence. People in glass houses shouldn’t throw epithets constructed by sci fi writers to get the word “fuck” past censors.

• Razumen says:

I think the word you’re looking for is fracking, but close :P

Gap Gen says:

To be fair, the image for the first video is my reaction to Paris, too.

12. Iceman346 says:

The aesthetics and scenario are right up my alley so I had this game on my watchlist since the gamescom trailer. The new trailer doesn’t really inspire confidence though, especially that fight with the fat bossdude looks totally out of place.

We’ll see, I remain cautiously optimistic.

JiminyJickers says:

Looks alright, keen to give this a go. Well, the first video didn’t impress me, but the second gameplay one looks better.

14. maryhelen975 says:

If you think Peggy`s story is surprising…, four weeks ago my auntie’s boy friend also got a cheque for $5046 putting in a seventeen hour week an their house and there best friend’s step-sister`s neighbour did this for nine months and got over $5046 part time from their pc. the guidelines on this site, http://www.bit90.com