The Bundle Singularity: The Free Bundle

By Adam Smith on January 10th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

It’s not unusual to pay less than a quid for a game in this age of austerity but how often do you choose to give more when a bundle allows you to pick a price? The Free Bundle will not allow your generosity to corrupt its mission statement, which is to gather free games and then to offer them for free in a bundle called ‘Free’. If you throw money at your screen, just this once it will actually bounce back and land in your tea instead of transporting directly to the developers. This collection includes mad racer Nitronic Rush, horror game Ascension, platformer Celestial Mechanica, Imscared and the splendiferous Abobo’s Big Adventure. You can download them all here.

What’s the point of gathering free games together? Well, maybe you forgot about some of them. I’d forgotten about Abobo’s Big Adventure and I wrote a post about it. Also, if people do enjoy the freebies, there’s always the chance they’ll buy some of the other games made by those involved, or follow their work in the future. While the bundle site itself doesn’t take donations, some of the indies do and the extra attention could well become extra funding.

I like this idea. There are so many games available for free that it’s impossible to keep track and The Free Bundle reminds me of the floppy disks that I used to collect, packed with freeware and shareware. The Cabrera Brothers, who created sci-fi noir adventure CYPHER, are the chaps responsible for putting the bundle together.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Crimsoneer says:

This might be a silly question…but is this just a page that aggregates a bunch of download links? How is that a bundle? Is there a download link on that page somewhere? Or am I just being silly…

• BockoPower says:

What about this: http://www.thefreebundle.com/ ? :)

• darlenejeffrey2 says:

Owen. I just agree… Randy`s rep0rt is unbelievable, on thursday I got a great new Infiniti when I got my check for $7489 this-last/five weeks and also $10 thousand last-month. it’s definitly the nicest job I have ever had. I actually started 9-months ago and straight away was bringing home more than $82, per hour. I follow instructions here..Golden Job

• solidsquid says:

If you click on the games it shows a lightbox with video from the game and download link(s)

• tobecooper says:

It’s random. Click boxart for a game, and download options for each game are different. Though, it seems their server sucks, because I couldn’t download Ascension from them. (Luckily the author has a mediafire link on his site.) [ninja'd]

Oh, and ‘bundle’ is a magic word that helps in promoting games. So they’re promoting. And that’s cool with me.

2. phelix says:

Thank you for my daily grin.

3. fauxC says:

This makes me pine for the days of PD games on my old Amiga 500+, along with the time to actually play hundreds of genuinely awful games.

Please tell me the “imscared” tag relates to Valhalla and the the classic It’s a skull song that was in Amiga Power. Please?

4. Shantara says:

It’s a rarity, when something is really free and not free*.

5. Tiguh says:

Downloaded Celestial Mechanica and got a free malware/irritant called “Whitesmoke”. Not the most stinky offender ever, but certainly enough to annoy me, especially given the assurances in the free bundle site.

6. lorderrr says:

Dammit, that Ascension is GOOD.
    Got my hearth pumping in that last stand.

7. maryhelen975 says:

uptil I saw the draft four $8526, I have faith …that…my brother woz like they say realy erning money parttime from there labtop.. there uncle haz done this 4 only 10 months and resantly took care of the morgage on there appartment and bought Lancia Straton. we looked here, http://www.bit90.com

Comment on this story