Here’s A Massively Impressive Fallout: NV Prequel Mod

By Nathan Grayson on January 11th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

I am sad. I am sad because Fallout: New Vegas’ Project Brazil mod isn’t available yet, which means I can only ogle its incredibly impressive-looking peaks and valleys from afar. So here’s the skinny: it doesn’t actually take place in Brazil. Instead, the story begins in California years before New Vegas’ courier ever began his promising career by being shot in the head and buried in a shallow grave. Your new main character’s goal? To reach Los Angeles. But the entire new wasteland of San Bernardino is rife with factional conflicts, and oh goodness also there is this: “The vision of Fallout 2 will be honoured by Project Brazil. Project Brazil is a quieter, more harsh and severe world than Fallout 3 or New Vegas. It feels like a real place spotted with rare moments of absurdity and fear, split between multiple rising civilizations all trying to fight for what they want or need in a world recovering from the Great War.” Yes. Yesssssss.

The plan is to deliver the unfolding story of your character’s journey – which starts at Vault 18 and ends someplace that’s not Vault 18 (unless it ends up pulling some crazy full-circle thing) – in chapters. Originally, chapter one was set to launch this month, but then that trailer (no joke) got the creators a major motion picture job, so progress has been derailed slightly. But only just so. The gig wraps on January 20th, and then Project Brazil will continue its parched, irradiated journey toward completion.

So then, why chapters? Well, here’s one big reason:

“It’s a game about choice and consequence along a journey – not about loot and kills. You might actually TALK to the raiders instead of getting themselves wiped out attacking strangers on sight. It’s mostly about the Main Quest, but there is a lot more to our game than just accepting and completing quests. It’s a whole plotline you are apart of, and your actions have serious impact on how you play the game.”

Other highlights will apparently include inter-dimensional travel, giant robot armies, and a story-based build-up to the New California Republic’s eventual invasion of New Vegas’ wasteland.

That, of course, sounds extremely promising. Honestly, this whole project does, and – at least, based on the trailer and an early version of the mod’s beginning – it seems like Brandan Lee and co might just have the dramatic chops to pull it off. I really, really, really hope so, anyway. Otherwise, I can’t promise my tiny region of California will remain habitable. The end result will be nearly as toxic as the creeping cancer that is rampant radiation, only much, much whinier.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. rsanchez1 says:

When people talk about fan fiction, I wish this is what they always meant.

2. Drake Sigar says:

How is this possible?

3. grundus says:

How on earth did this trailer get them a job? Major motion picture job, I mean.

• Danda says:

Maybe the employers didn’t play any Fallout game and they thought this video was a completely original creation?

• TechnicalBen says:

Or thought the old black and white clips were renders?

• RoAE says:

Or hey guess what maybe the one of the producers plays video games…

nah what am I saying, the obvious is just too obvious.

• Herr Dr. Face Doktor says:

It’s a little depressing really, there’s so many little beginner mistakes in there too, like the TV near the beginning that’s really badly added in in post, and just animated to LOOK like it’s in the same scene with mistimed animation.

• Bhazor says:

If you think the trailers bad you should see their graphic design website.

Their project page is completely blank, there is no portfolio and their “main” link blows my mind.
        Heres the post they announce the news with.

” bit of a hangup on our path to release the mod – @Radian-Helix Media, the Media company that Thaiauxn (Brandan Lee) runs, got picked up for a job doing an animated 2D & 3D intro sequence for a pretty serious motion picture out in Hollywood, CA.

We can’t quite give any specifics, not yet at least, and all the images we’ve produced for their company are property “öf” that company. Radian-Helix is under contract as a top-billing organization on the film – meaning our title card appears in the opening credits, so it’s our biggest industry job to date.

The job is set to end January 20th, with more work shortly after. It’s a big step for the company, and I can say that part of the reason we were hired was because of the Intro Sequence for Project Brazil, and we were suggested for the job by a supporter of the project. ;)”

I think there might be a bit of fallout here.

• solidsquid says:

Sounds like their company will soon be consigned to the vaults of history

• Cloudiest Nights says:

I’d say its most likely Transformers 4.

4. Bhazor says:

Can I get a Hoo-ahhh

5. Inigo says:

It’s just a shame this entire project will come screeching to a halt when Brandan Lee is accidentally shot dead while on the set of “The Craw”.

6. zeekthegeek says:

I’m unsure I can actually take their writing seriously when they’re calling a character Jenifer Hale

• Ross Angus says:

Thou Shall Not Take The True Name Of The Femshep In Vain.

7. stryker777 says:

I’m unable to play Fallout:NV. After buying it (Steam vers), I learned it has severe problems on Windows 7 (64bit). After much Googling, many others have the same problem. My sytem is a Win7 with 12gig RAM, nVidia GTX 560 w/1 gig video card.

If you have any ideas, please share. I’d like to play this.

• Blackcompany says:

Played over 300 hrs on windows 7 64 bit. No issues at all. Sorry you could not enjoy it. Once stable its a great experience.

• JakeDust says:

Over 60 hours played with a 64-bit Windows 7 with 8GB of RAM and a GTX 550 Ti without a single problem whatsoever.

Edit: In comparison, my first install of a Russian Fallout 3 was a complete disaster and always CtD’d in Vault 101. After some years and I went and bought the GOTY edition on Steam, and it works, but it’s still far less stable than New Vegas.

• Kevin Costner says:

965be @ 3.8ghz
      16g -1600
      7870
      Win7 64 Pro

have played +500 hrs with almost all of the major mods, most of the smaller, and many of the obscure.

It is not a Windows 7 issue, I can assure you – more likely some driver/hardware on your machine is cause.

Google “fnv (nvidia) fix” and hit “geekmontage dot com” for a decent list of fixes, then head over to the Nexus for more patches than you could slingshot a miniature nuclear warhead at.

• FluidLogic says:

@Stryker777

Really sorry to hear that man. Could this be a new issue?

The reason I ask is because from the specs you linked, we have identical setups. Win7x64, 12GB RAM, and a GTX560. I logged 50-something hours on it before I got a bit bored and took a break. But I had no issues with the game, save some crashes early on while they worked out some bugs.

Out of curiosity, could you go into a bit more detail about what issues you’re having? I was actually thinking of reinstalling this again for awhile and playing some of the expansions I hadn’t gotten around to.

• Ushao says:

Just throwing in my bit to say it’s definitely not a Win 7 64bit problem. Steam shows me at 137 hours in New Vegas with and without tons of mods and I never had major issues.

• aawells07 says:

If your having problems with any Bethesda games check this Youtuber who makes videos for all of Beth’s games. Here is a playlist. Take a look around thru his videos and you may just be able to solve your problem if not in this playlist maybe in another.

8. Dys Does Dakka says:

I admire the ambition of this thing, and it’s an interesting setting to (re)explore; I was always a bit miffed that Fallout 1 only had stuff going on at the edge of the LA Boneyard.

That said, no one but Ron Pearlman gets to say the “War, war never changes” line. Heresy.

• Kevin Costner says:

“no one but Ron Pearlman gets to say the “War, war never changes”

Right? Like how let’s get ready to rumbllllle can only be Michael Buffer…

So they’re moving the whole thing to BeanTown, eh?

“Wa…wa neva changes…”

9. Universal Quitter says:

It’s where I’m from!!!

I probably shouldn’t be that excited, and I know no one will care, but San Bernardino isn’t well known, is it? Certainly not to Brits.

They won’t even need to change the art-style that much. It’s an ugly, brown place. If you’ve ever seen the industrial scenes in a Terminator movie, those are usually in and around San Bernardino. It’s basically the asshole of Los Angeles.

• belgand says:

I was about to say “new wasteland”?!? That implies that Berdoo isn’t already a wasteland. Now if they also implement Bakersfield and Sacramento we’d really have something.

• Kevin Costner says:

A few nuclear warheads might actually improve any part of San Joaquin Valley…

…the first time I played Fallout: NV I thought: oh, look – Fresno…

There are places between LA and SF where you could drop off a blindfolded man and he might easily mistake himself for being in East Texas .

phuzz says:

I’m pretty sure it’s in California, but I’m afraid that’s about the limits of my general knowledge. I look forward to shooting mutants in your hometown. If there’s a game set in Bristol, I’ll let you know so you can see my town :)

(I can’t think of any games that include Bristol, except maybe in a flight sim or two, it’s more a music city than a gaming one)

10. DaftPunk says:

Trailer looks quite amater,strange he got job for this work.

• Rad says:

Honestly, have you SEEN half the crap coming out of Hollywood these days?

Mind you, it’s not all garbage, but a lot of it is.

• DXN says:

I think it looks unfinished and limited by the game-engine — those animations are presumably works-in-progress — but to me there’s clearly a lot of talent behind the writing, direction and ‘photography’ (or whatever the videogame equivalent of cinematography would be. Ludotography?).

Of course, since it got them hired for a pro gig, they kind of have a professional level of talent by definition… :P

11. drcancerman says:

I think I understand why they call it “brazil” hehehe… Its a dangerous, brown/greyish place where you can get shot, robbed and killed and the police is often powerless to do anything or even themselves are the targets… The health care is abysmal, kinda like Dr. Zed in Borderlands.

Yes, it has been 2 miserable years since I moved to brazil *cries* and I’ve heard bombs(local bank branch), gunshots, Ive seen robberies. Local police station got assaulted, a whole family died in a house 2 streets after mine, neighbor got his car robbed, shoved in the trunk naked. I almost got killed by the police because they stopped to check our vehicle(My mom, and sister were traveling with me) pointing the guns at us like we were criminals. Yep, seeing the end of the gun barrel is scary…

• The Random One says:

I’m Brazilian and I resent that! Brazil is not brown and gray! There’s a lot of beige!

• yogibbear says:

You’re an idiot or trolling.

• The Random One says:

It’s a thing called a self-deprecative joke. Self-deprecative because I am, in fact, Brazilian, and the things he mentioned are real (though I’m not sure where he lived before that he finds the fact that crime exists to be so jarring).

I am not trolling, and if I’m an idiot I obviously won’t know it, but I’m not the one failing to recognize a joke at least.

drewski says:

Most “Western” countries don’t have anything like that level of crime/violence in the vast majority of their cities and towns, so if he’s moved from, say, Des Moines, Iowa to the middle of Rio, he’s probably experienced a bit of culture shock.

Arren says:

I just want to congratulate you on a superb response to an idiotically inflammatory one-line comment. Well done.

• Davie says:

Why do people like you exist?

• Greggh says:

The Random One got trolled and drcancerman is either a) movie-ignorant and a douchebag or b) a big douchebag.

It is (methinks) a reference to Terry Gilliam’s Brazil:
      In that, while fighting the system, one person gets buggered down by the whole Orwellian system around him and, in the end, finds a happy ending, only to realize the last part was but a dream made from torture and severe beatings that drove him cuckoo.

• The Random One says:

It is about Gilliam’s Brazil, in fact. The project page linked on the article says so.

• drcancerman says:

I’m sorry to have offended your fragile feelings. But what I did was a very poor attempt at a joke in regards to the name of “brazil”.

• Acorino says:

nah, it was alright. some people are just too easily offended for no reason at all.

• zidders says:

OH man….you did NOT just spoiler the ending. Dude…add spoiler tags or something, please don’t ruin it for anyone who hasn’t seen it. That’s just criminal.

• drcancerman says:

I was born in brazil but lived most of my life outside of it. Used to live in London before I moved to Sao Paulo. Yes, going out during the night, especially in these last few months, is out of the question. Here is an example( if dozens) of how awesome the health care is here, I had an allergy crisis, and couldn’t stop coughing and a humbiliical hernia popped out. That was in may 2011, and so far I can’t get the surgery done, because the medical refuse to do it. My sister needed an ultrasound; took them more than a month to set up the appointment! And the return visit? Almost 2 months!

So yeah… I used to have a very very very mild case of agoraphobia … Now now, it’s taking control of my life!

I can give you more details, like car prices here are extremely high for the crap you get( top gear watchers: think of what Jeremy clarkson said about the Perodua Kelisa, it applies to the vehicles here) , salaries suck, public transportation sucks…

• Kamos says:

I live in Brazil. It has many problems, some of which you have mentioned. One might even say that there is a “survival skill” you learn when you live here. There are many things wrong, and sometimes you just have to know how things work, and then step around them. But to call it a brown/grayish place? That is just wrong. It is a beautiful land, full of warm people who go out of their way to help you. More so than any other place I have lived in. I’m sorry that you’ve had such a bad time living here. However, to be honest, I’d recommend you look for professional help. Also, you might want to look into moving into a more tranquil city. São Paulo *is* one of the largest cities in the world, so any problem tends to be magnified.

• drcancerman says:

1. Obviously I’m referring to the cities and slums.
          2. Brasilia is red-ish.
          3. I’ve had more people trying to help for goodness sake in London than I ever did in brazil.
          4. But the problem here increases not because of the size(though there is a direct correlation with city size and crimes, but in this case; Instead of a straight line, it is a bell shaped line) but because of the people education, violence, corruption…etc

12. nuhasifa says:

until I saw the draft of $7993, I be certain that my neighbours mother was like actually receiving money in their spare time from there new laptop.. there neighbour haz done this 4 only twenty one months and at present cleard the dept on their cottage and purchased themselves a Lexus LS400. read more at, http://www.Cloud65.com

13. Crossing says:

It looked good until the 1:14 mark, and then I saw the awful.

14. P.Funk says:

Well Im kind of tired of the good old American preacher model of dialogue and character. Its basically a preacher, some kind of preacher mentality that gets applied to all kinds of neo-apocalyptic archetypes. Its just another use of the puritan fighting the heresy of obvious progress or some other nonsense.

Now, if it were actually Ron Pearlman reading these lines I think I could get on with it. But its not the worst voice acting, I mean for god’s sake apparently Ubi forgot the lessons learned from AC1 because just listen to Connor in AC3.

• lofaszjoska says:

Um, haven’t you noticed how they’re all wearing handegg body armor? The preacher’s a sports coach, so of course he’s supposed to be preachy.

15. G_Man_007 says:

So, Bane is taking over voicing duties for Ron Perlman?

Tom De Roeck says:

Im sorry but, no. That trailer isnt that good. Im guessing they had a job lined up and the trailer just showed their capacity, within a short timespan.

17. Acorino says:

This mod is massively impressive when it’s done.

18. cuiagaha says:

If you think Mary`s story is flabbergasting…, 4 weeks ago my neighbour also made $5681 sitting there 10 hours a week from there apartment and there friend’s step-aunt`s neighbour done this for 3 months and broght in over $5681 in their spare time from there pc. the steps from this address, http://www.Cloud65.com