Travel Sickness: The Organ Trail: The Director’s Cut

By Craig Pearson on January 11th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

The Movie will star Organ Freeman.
The annoyingly obvious (why didn’t I think of it?) zombie take on Oregon Trail is now out on PC. Properly. Like you pay money and it downloads. The Organ Trail is a cross-country retro romp where you make the decisions that’ll make, but mostly break, the group of survivors as they trip through ruins of America. For something so simple it remains compelling. A hunt for supplies that takes place in zombie-filled cites about to be nuked. Everything is against you.

If it feels familiar, it’s probably because you played the original in Flash form. And you still can. The Director’s Cut retains the ancient Apple aesthetics and multiple mini-games, but adds a new ‘Endless’ gamemode, and a few extras to bring the controls up-to-date.

Here’s the trailer.

I’d play the website version first to be sure, or watch this quick look at the updated version.

It’s out now, for only $5.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. hello_mr.Trout says:

heh, i’m reminded of this take on oregon trail also: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05132003

2. tobecooper says:

It’s worth pointing out they are also on Greenlight

Any game that has Get dysentery and 9 other diseases as one of its main features is worth supporting.

3. NailBombed says:

Actually been waiting for this to get a proper release ever since I watched Jesse Cox try to plow his way through the beta. Not having played the original Oregon Trail, I don’t have the back history of what that game was… but this does seem like it came out of the BBC Micro era – and I certainly appreciate that aesthetic having had one of those briefly as a nipper (my dad had a loan of one from his work).
    It seems like an FTL sort of game, management of resources and whatnot, which appeals…. will be happily shooting pixellated zomboids in the cerebral region later.

4. One Pigeon says:

Saw this the other day but oddly not on PC.
    It’s on Android devices too. I tried getting it for my HTC Desire but it said my phone couldn’t play the game! Argh.
    Have received a new Galaxy S3 in the post today and will give it a shot on there.

5. Shooop says:

Spoiler:

Everyone dies of dysentery.

6. Hahaha says:

*yawn* Give us a new ‘Robinson’s Requiem’ game makers

7. SheffieldSteel says:

There is a(nother) remake of Oregon Trail in the works, btw. Various platforms compatible with the Unity engine will soon sport dysentery and broken wagon wheels. You (may have) heard it here first.

8. nuhasifa says:

what Esther responded I’m in shock that someone can earn $7240 in 1 month on the internet. did you see this page http://www.Cloud65.com

9. Chubzdoomer says:

Another zombie game? How creative!

10. LionsPhil says:

Hmm. Bit annoying to get within two miles of Vegas then lose the game state to some kind of bug whereby everyone spontaneously died and then the menus went crazy, transitioning randomly all over the place.

Also, apparently it’s more fuel-efficient to drive at 60 than 30.

11. YourMessageHere says:

Is this the first zombie game to not feature the word ‘zombie’ or ‘dead’ somewhere in the title? I suspect so.

12. maryhelen975 says:

my roomate’s step-aunt makes $67 every hour on the internet. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her pay check was $20383 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this site http://www.bit90.com

Comment on this story