We Can Finally See The Dark Side Of The Moon

By Craig Pearson on January 11th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

No, it's not very dark. Well done.
Lovely Love-maker Eskil Steenberg has finally revealed what his next project will be. He just popped a video up on Youtube, showing off the prototype for a Dark Side Of The Moon, a “real-time strategy stealth action game”. The video is a quick look at some of the units he’s preparing for the battlefield. It looks like he’ll be focusing on smaller battles, rather than turning out a StarCraft clone.

So the main mechanic has to do with dark hiding units, though they can be exposed with flares and such. It looks like the control of light will be the most important step as it defines the battlefield. His little group of units on display are tricksy little tanks, with classes that seem to do one thing very well. There are normal units that simply fire when the enemy is spotted, though the AI has some interesting quirks that you’ll see below. They’re supported by nom-standard units: protective sentries that can’t harm anything, teleporting tanks that can only kill close up. Let me illuminate it more for you.

Questions. I wonder how far along this art is? Is it finished, or is it super temporary? What are you fighting for? And where is the moon? It’s a prototype, so I’m guessing it’s so alpha it hurts. Eskil states that people will be granted access “soon” in the video, so I won’t have to wait long for answers to my queries. I’ll just go and watch a pot boil for a bit. Toodles!

, , , .

1. Caenorhabditis says:

The sound in the video doesn’t agree with my headphones very well.

• Felixader says:

He is so silent that his speech just cuts off sometimes. I wonder if he checked the file before uploading.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Sounds like he recorded it over a telephone while frantically waggling the Left/Right gain knob and spinning rapidly around the room, half of which was covered in acoustic-dampening foam, the other half of which was tiled with ceramic.

Now I come to think of it, it sounds like I’d expect an audio version of Love’s graphics to sound.

• Josh Millard says:

Yeah, for whatever reason there’s some pretty bad gating on the right channel. The left channel is quiet but steady, though; throw your headphones halfway on and it’s far, far less distracting.

2. infernalmachine says:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

3. Cvnk says:

There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of a fact, it’s all dark.

I’m glad he’s got a new project. Love didn’t quite do it for me but I feel like he’s the sort of developer that we need out there making games.

Lim-Dul says:

Actually there is no dark side of the Moon since the Moon rotates around the Earth, so every side gets light eventually. There is a FAR side of the Moon though, since the same side is always facing us. =)

4. benkc says:

I don’t think “nom-standard” was intentional, but I like it. Time to go have a nom-standard lunch.

5. DarkFarmer says:

Looks actually pretty awesome to me. However I am not one for abstract art RTS so much, some space-men in space-suits fighting it out in moon-bases would be appreciated. Moon (the duncan jones film) style.

6. Tiax says:

“It looks like he’ll be focusing on smaller battles, rather than turning out a StarCraft clone.”

But Starcraft *is* all about small-scale battles, so I’m kinda confused with this sentence.

• Bhazor says:

Sadly Starcraft 2 is the only RTS game anyone is allowed to talk about.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Surely not. I mean, what about… Aiiieee! Get it off! Get it off! Oh the pain, the unbearable agony!

7. Brainkite says:

Souds like a smart game. Looking forward.

8. cuiagaha says:

my buddy’s aunt makes $67 every hour on the laptop. She has been out of work for 6 months but last month her pay was $18507 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this web site http://www.Cloud65.com

9. Fenix says:

Anyone remember the 90′s interactive video adventure game called Dark Side of the Moon?

10. maryhelen975 says:

before I saw the receipt that said $8420, I didn’t believe that my mother in law was like they say truly earning money in there spare time on their apple laptop.. there neighbour has done this for less than 20 months and just now repayed the morgage on their mini mansion and bourt a new Volkswagen Golf GTI. this is where I went, http://www.bit90.com