What’s At The Edge Of Space? You’ll Never Guess

By Craig Pearson on January 11th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

A small clue, perhaps?
There is a gif below the jump that compelled me to write about this indie Terraria-a-like, Edge Of Space. Go there and you will see. You won’t be disappointed, I promise.

WHAT?

There. Were you expecting a shark with a jetpack chasing down an astronaut and a mech stomping on an angry alien plant? Nope. Neither was I when I went poking through Steam Greenlight for something interesting to upvote. John briefly covered Edge of Space in a Kickstarter Katchup, describing it as a bit like Terraria in space. It succeeded in funding then went off and built the madness you can see, and doing the fashionable indie paid-for-beta thing.

Like a lot of sandbox games, it’s expanding out in weird directions. Yes, there are wacky enemies, like space jelly fish and armoured, flying polar bears. It’s a world that fills out in every direction, with new biomes to explore, mine, and terraform. But while I expect you’ll come for the silliness, it’s the systems that’ll prove to be the mainstays. There are complex systems underlying a lot of it, too. Crafting for creating lights and such, power grids for building switches to turn them on and off. Co-op weapons that combine powers, such a tagger that guides other players rockets. Check out the trailer. It doesn’t quite have the same velocity as the gif above, but I suspect it’s truer to the overall tone.

So that, and space sharks. It’s out now, in a beta sort of way.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kits says:

I think I prefer the look of Starbound a bit more, but that may still be a ways off. Guess I’ll take a look at this at least. If nothing else I’ll be happy if I can ride said jetpack-shark.

• Chalky says:

The art and animation is rather ugly and it really does look packed full of cheesy cliches and attempts “wacky” humour that doesn’t really work.

Starbound on the other hand looks extremely promising and I’d suggest people check it out (although their website seems to be down atm!). It is essentially terraria in space (written by ex terraria developers/artists) but obviously with a sci-fi tech tree and much more variety in worlds due to procedural generation of everything from landscapes to animals to civilizations.

• solidsquid says:

I don’t know, I like the style of the sprite work, it’s the environments which just spoil it really. The lack of consistency is the problem, the environments seem to have a completely different style to the sprites, which just spoils the look of it

• IndieAlex says:

Terraria dev ARE NOT working on starbound, The artist is. The Lead Dev for Terraria has even endorsed Edge Of Space on Twitter.

The Video is old and so are the screen shots. Give it a week and im sure theyll have updated the Media

• Cyrius says:

Game is still extraordinarily alpha.

• Wreckdum says:

Who cares if the Terraria devs are working on Starbound? Starbound looks better with or without their support. Terraria devs are not the gods of a 2D terraforming game. They were one of the first out the gate. Congrats. But they are not all of a sudden the authority on the genre.

That’s like saying whoever drew the first picture in history is the authority on art.

• socrate says:

Not only this since they dropped the project after announcing the future update wouldnt go in the forum and the game itself is almost not played anymore,the problem with these minecraft clone is that they forget that people just want mod in these game really and that without them or constant update the game pretty much die off in a few week just like any other new game

That said you also need alots of mechanism in the game itself since its pretty much how minecraft got really interesting and this one does look like it as a really nice mechanism system in it,while looking a bit awkward to play around with it can easily be polished,minecraft is totally barren for a game and as almost no content that would last you more then terraria did and yet its is still selling and going strong because of the modding community.

That is pretty much what turned me off from all these “clone” and make me go back and mess around with minecraft….they might have content but yet without mod to fix game that no longer have any update while minecraft still get both is just ridiculous and just look like a quick way to get rich coming from all these clone…i really like these game….but Terraria Dev leaving without adding at least proper modding tool was just dumb and a cheap move and left a really bad taste.

• Hallgrim says:

I am always amazed when someone has the full ton balls to complain that Terraria was unsupported. The game doubled in size after its release. It truly is laughable to complain that they stopped releasing free updates for a 40+ hour game that was regularly $2.50 on steam. I personally would have loved to have been able to buy more content, but the lead dev decided he wanted to do something else. What an injustice.

• LordShaggy says:

Thanks RPS for taking a look. We really appreciate it over here on the EoS Team. For everyone else, I really recommend going to the Greenlight and looking at some of the new media. That video is quite old, but it’s ok. =)

Here is a better trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=531sSaCTHps

JiminyJickers says:

Aah, Starbound, yeah that is the one I was thinking off. Starbound looks a lot better, I hope the devs are still going strong. I’m looking forward to it’s release.

2. CKScientist says:

The art direction doesn’t look very good in that video.

3. Deathmaster says:

So.. It’s Terraria in Space?

4. Syra says:

How can a boss be legendary if no-one’s ever heard of it =(

• roguewombat says:

How can a fight be a fight if you don’t actually fight? : P

(Or was he trying to make the legendary boss dizzy?)

5. GameCat says:

ROCKETSHARK

Why they didn’t put them in the trailer? Why?

6. Pliqu3011 says:

Rocketsharks seem fun.
    The game looks really, really ugly though. They should hire a better artist.
    Hell, I think even a fan could produce a more coherent look. The character animation is really poor too.

7. Dana says:

Raptors ? Dino Yacht Club ?

8. Lanfranc says:

I personally always expect sharks with jetpacks.

Just common sense, really

9. Pemptus says:

Oh man, I hope they tidy up the look eventually, because right now it looks very messy and unappealing.

10. Incredibly_Shallow says:

I would never think to play a game like Starbound because I despise it’s art style (the squat, soft, anime inspired SNES style), so this actually has me excited.

11. Lemming says:

Someone needs to tell these guys about Spriter.

• Jekhar says:

Why? Because everything has to have that cheap flash game look nowadays? (That was an exaggeration of course.) Sure titles like Aquaria and Capsized look beautiful, with their vector-esque scaling and smooth animations, but crazy pixel art a la Metal Gear still has a place.

yhancik says:

I love how the background doesn’t scroll a pixel., so that when you move, that asteroid or whatever that is right behind your character will always appear in the same position.

• theoriginaled says:

Does the sun move when you walk around? Nah its just kind of up there.

13. Priestman says:

Good grief! Did your mother not teach you to whack a center tag on your gifs Craig?! My sense of balance has now failed me and for this I will bitch and moan :D

14. Bhazor says:

Just once I’d like to see a Terraria clone that had decent looking platforming.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Just once I’d like to see a Terraria clone that doesn’t actually look and play like Terraria. Too many indie devs seem to think originality extends to carbon copying everything their peers do.

15. IndieAlex says:

What you have to realize is these images are old.
    The graphics look ALOT better now. and even game-play is much better.
    Please do go check it out!
    I have bought this game one desura and even at this Early to mid Beta stage IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

And sure it looks like terraria in space… but its FAR from that.
    Do go take a look. and im sure there will be a new Video and Press release soon!

• KirbyEvan says:

I have the beta (alpha?) and it doesn’t look much better.

Despite the graphics the game is pretty fun, but I’m still waiting for Starbound to come out.

16. dE says:

This does seem interesting. But everytime I read about it, it’s drenched in rather annoying memes. Result: I lose all interest. Until the next time I stumble over it and go through the same process again. Oh shiny, ugh annoying memes, buzz off.

17. IndieAlex says:

Memes?

18. Lev Astov says:

Unless I can play as the space shark, I’m not sold.

Sharks aren’t always chomping, you know. They have to take time out to develop a suitable civilization and then build their requisite jet packs.

• Grygus says:

Not so! Space sharks have always been roaming packs of gnawing doom, slowly flying from one civilization to the next, co-opting whatever is best from each. For most societies, that is a grisly lunch. However, one of them had space helmets, and another had jetpacks. Getting fitted and learning maintenance was done in shifts, so that the pack as a whole never had to stop chomping.

• Lev Astov says:

Which only makes me want to play as them even more! So as I said, I could spend my time equally chomping and adapting the scavenged goods of our catch to better suit future chomping needs.

19. DarkFarmer says:

This is a little… fresh and in your faec.