The RPS Bargain Bucket: No Class

By Lewie Procter on January 12th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Sick of playing the same games you already own over and over again? Want to buy some new games but also enjoy spending money on other things like lollipops and hair clips? I think I have the solution for you right here. It’s the RPS bargain bucket, your weekly summary of the best PC download deals from all across the web. If you want to find out the best deals on games throughout the week, you can always rely on SavyGamer.co.uk. Read on for this week’s deals:

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier [Signature Edition] – £6.80
This may or may not be reduced in other regions too, as far as I can see there’s no easy way for me to find out.
After its release date slipping multiple times, and lots of corporate umming and ahhing from Ubisoft over whether or not this would even get a PC release at all, Future Soldier eventually came out without much of a bang. I heard more complaints about bugs than I heard enthusiasm about shooting future-men with future-guns. Have the issues since been ironed out? Is this a fun game? Is it anything at all like the earlier Ghost Recon games that I quite liked?

Defense Grid: The Awakening, Gemini Rue, Nuclear Dawn, Soulcaster & Soulcaster II – £3.39/€4.10/$5.47 at time of writing
All except Soulcaster & Soulcaster II register on Steam, and the price will fluctuate over time, as explained here.
This is a redux of some of the more popular games from previous IR bundles, which is pretty handy if you missed the respective bundles these were originally in first time around. Here’s comrade Griliopoulos on Nuclear Dawn:

It’s not quite up to TF2’s anarchic melees, but it’s damned satisfying when you snipe someone or run through a squad back-stabbing them all. No class is redundant; the engineer’s shotgun, in particular, is hugely lethal. Ammo tends to run out very quickly, especially for the Exos, but it’s the Commander’s job to drop in supply points as you advance.

More here.

Darksiders, Darksiders 2 + DLC – £8.18/€9.89/$13.19
Registers on Steam, and each game and bit of DLC comes as a separate serial, so it’s easy to split this pack if you like. This is from Amazon US so you’ll need to enter a US billing address.
I wasn’t too fond of the first Darksiders, so I never bothered with the second one. If I was going to, though, this would be the kind of price I’d like to pay. It wasn’t terrible, by any means, but the pacing was fairly off (it seemed to always interrupt me with a cut-scene or something at the least appropriate moment, and had poorly placed checkpoints), the environments were often drab and dull, and the puzzles were all stuff I’ve seen a thousand times before in other, better, games. John seemed to like the sequel though, maybe it’s a significant improvement on the first game.

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition – £5
Slightly more corridorey, and significantly less sandboxey than the original, but still very much worth your time. Here’s Jim’s verdict of Crysis 2:

This is a game of destroying New York. You don’t get to destroy much of it yourself, of course, but you do get to see it destroyed in vivid detail. The corridors you walk through in this shooter aren’t pixelly gothic tubes, but highly-detailed intricate shattered trenches within the hazy, glass and concrete canyons of Manhattan. The game seems to enjoy outdoing the last apocalyptic perspective it has thrown you to, with it taking quite some time to really hit its stride and amaze you with the very particles in the air, and the massive tangle of mangled city that hangs all around you. There are a couple breath-taking moments in there.

More here.

Deal of the week
FTL – £3.10/€3.74/$4.99
Optionally registers on Steam.
FTL impressions ~5 hours in:

This is bullshit, it’s way too random, I keep dying and it’s not even my fault. There’s no real in depth systems to learn, and my understanding of the systems doesn’t seem to have much impact on how successful I am. I keep getting killed by random events.

FTL impressions ~15 hours in:

Oh, I guess timing is important. And learning exactly what all the various upgrades do, and how you can use them. The final boss seems crazy hard though, I’m never going to be able to beat it.

FTL impressions ~30 hours in:

I AM A SPACE CAPTAIN. THE REBELS WILL BURN IN SPACE HELL.

FTL impressions ~60 hours in:

It’s a shame that the developers didn’t quite have the conviction to accurately simulate slave trade and fuel markets in their system design. I don’t want to be a slaver, but I do want to be backed into a corner where my only option is to sell my crewmates in order to repair/refuel my ship to have any chance of completing the mission. That would be an incredibly tense moment.

From ambivalence to advocating slavery in 60 hours. I think FTL got under my skin somewhat.

Also of note:
BioShock Infinite – £22.50. Apply coupon “GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1″. Registers on Steam.
King’s Bounty: Warriors of the North – £5. Apply coupon “GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK”. Registers on Steam.
Hotline Miami – £3.44
Rage – £3.25. Registers on Steam.
Viking: Battle for Asgard – £3.39/€4.41/$5.09

SavyGamer.co.uk is home of the all the cheap games, all the time.

1. ShineyBlueShoes says:

Really hate myself for buying Darksiders 2 for like $16 a couple months ago when it both games PLUS all the DLC keep going for cheaper. Really didn’t see that coming at the time though.

• richard says:

You’re being too harsh on yourself, bro. Its an excellent game that you’ve been enjoying for 2 months longer than many of the RPS tightwads (sorry RPS tightwads).

• SkittleDiddler says:

Pfft. This tightwad payed half that amount for the franchise pack (promotional coupon FTW), and I’ll be enjoying it two months after ShinyBlueShoes is done playing it :)

You just know that somewhere, somehow, someone paid like $1 for the same pack. Amazing times we live in.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

It wouldn’t rankle as badly if I had played more than 10 minutes of it since I bought it, still I can’t be unhappy for having got an almost new game for under $20. Besides, it’s still better than the launch day copy of Far Cry 2 that’s sitting there still in the shrink wrap from the store….

2. Chaosed0 says:

Does anybody still play Nuclear Dawn? Has the balance & overall gameplay improved?

I used to play it quite a bit when it was new. There where too many matches were it was inevitable that one team was going to lose with no chance to come back, and yet it still took another 10-20 minutes for the winning team to win.

• Dana says:

It’s not even on a “steam stats” list, so not that many. Below 1k.

• Slinkyboy says:

Try Natural Selection 2 if you like FPS/RTS hybrids with lots of modding. Big update coming according to an E-mail I got after Christmas. I never check the forums though.

3. Xocrates says:

“maybe it’s a significant improvement on the first game.”

Darksiders 2 is more ambitious and conceptually more interesting, but otherwise the first game (which is a damn fine one, no matter what Lewie says) remains the better one in terms of plot, variety, characters, and pacing.

However both games are worth getting, and that pack is certainly good value for money.

Word of warning though: The PC ports are rather barebones, and the second one in particular is a terrible port.

• goatmonkey says:

I absolutely think 2 was an awful port at launch but by the time I finished it had been patched into a much more acceptable one with more graphics options and fixed shadows, only the low resolution textures were left.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

I haven’t played too much of the second but I had no issues with either, other than extreme difficulty getting my particular controller to work with the first game until I got all the settings just so.

• Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

I gave up on the first one at the boss of the first proper dungeon. It’s a tedious hit point sponge (with no idea given just how close you are to actually depleting said points you are and little visual feedback of which of your attacks are actually doing significant damage) and I swiftly decided I had better things to do, which is a shame as I was rather enjoying myself up until that point.

Can’t say I was a massive fan of the aesthetics but up until that point the gameplay had been rather enjoyable, yes it was just like playing a Zelda game with extra hitting things but I find that sort of thing comfortingly familiar rather than tired. Can definitely see how people could be jaded with that sort of thing though,

• Xocrates says:

The game suffers from the bizarre issue that the bosses get progressively easier, so the first proper boss (the giant bat one) is by far the hardest of the game.

Also the hitpoints of all the bosses of the game are basically meaningless because they follow the pattern of being immune until you manage to stun them, at which point you can damage them, and having you repeat this about 3 times.

• Eschatos says:

They’re both terrible ports IMO. I can’t get either one to run at a consistently playable framerate on my PC. Now my machine isn’t exactly an amazing rig but it can run stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim no problem.

• F3ck says:

On the other hand – they’re both good games (liked first much more than sequel, myself) that run flawlessly on my mid-ranged rig…

Also [almost] everything you buy today will be cheaper tomorrow – hell, who hasn’t bought an expensive component and wept months later when it was dirt-cheap? – so there’s no point in dwelling…

4. trjp says:

Viking is BARELY worth the asking price, there are some good ideas in it but they’re mostly hidden by a game of walking and HITTING THE F KEY

As RPS noted, the quickest way to get around is to commit suicide and use the portal at the start of the game – that says much for the design.

If you truly like whacking people in the head with an axe, you’ll probably get your moneys-worth but it’s a slog-and-a-half…

5. Mac says:

Getgames are having a Ubisoft sale – Anno and Settlers 7 seem to be good prices

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

Just wish that Anno 2070 would come down. Cheapest I’ve seen it is $20, which is what getgames has it at right now (at least in the US).

• Mac says:

£7.99 in the UK … got to love digital distribution with inconsistent pricing !!!

• caddyB says:

It’s still incredible value for money, I think. Well, depends on how much you value your money of course, but I’ve got it on the last day of steam sale and haven’t played anything else since.

And I have so many more plans. So many! I didn’t even play as the Tycoons or touched the expansion yet!

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

Hmm, I can’t remember if that’s one that still has the soul sucking DRM or one of the games they removed it from… I really wanted to try it, along with Anno 2070 but not going anywhere near that and encouraging them.

• MacTheGeek says:

Anno still has the crap DRM. 3 installs. I won’t buy it for any price under those terms.

6. Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

FYI: In Euroland, Future Soldier is 18.70EUR for the deluxe edition and 6.80EUR for the Whatever Signature Means Edition.

7. Stirbelwurm says:

I dunno, but this looks quite like the deal of the week to me:

Elder scrolls bundle, including Morrowind + expansions, Oblivion + expansions and Skyrim + Dawnguard and Hearthfire
    All that for 20£

Confirmed to work outside of the UK too, but you have to have a credit card.

• Randomer says:

Do you know what form this comes in? Is it a digital download straight from the website, or a set of Steam keys, or…?

8. Createx says:

FTL is definitely worth getting. It has some roguelike concepts, but is much, much more accessible. The UI is pretty good and the game feels very fluent with it, compared to other roguelikes. Also, the stories it tells… Escaping with one point of hull (health) left, only to encounter the only combination that can pierce your shields again… And then dying, a few seconds before you had their crew dead :/
    It can be quite daunting at first, but there is a really friendly and helpful IRC channel on quakenet.
    Just go to http://webchat.quakenet.org/ and enter the #fasterthanlight channel, there are always people eager to help there!

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, FTL’s interesting in how cleverly it maps some roguelike ideas while being a different kind of game. It’s got the ways-to-avoid-death proportional to effort-expended thing down nicely.

9. Kodo says:

%100 agree about Darksiders. It has a been-there-done-that vibe to it and slogging through their RPG and action sequences just feels boring. Haven’t played the sequel, so no comment on that.

FTL will devour your soul but will teach you what it means to be a true human being.

10. Yosharian says:

Woo Bioshock Infinite for £22.50 thanks for that ol’ buddy ol’ pal ol’ matey ol’ chum

• djbriandamage says:

Bioshock Infinite doesn’t seem to work with the 25% off preorder code. GMG offers me either $15 store credit for a future purchase or $7 cash back on this purchase. Maybe it’s different deal in England (I’m in Canada).

• Yosharian says:

Yes perhaps its it, it worked fine for me, £22.50 after I put in the code, and i got a £2.00 GMG credit as well although that’s probably unrelated

• Premium User Badge Maltose says:

Coupon doesn’t work in North America, according to the greenmangaming blog. :(

11. MondSemmel says:

I definitely recommend that Indie Royale bundle. Defense Grid is great (though if in doubt which tower defense game to get, get Defender’s Quest instead). Gemini Rue is a short, moody, awesome indie adventure. I loved both Soulcaster games – they are a very interesting take on the TD genre, but much more action-oriented. And they both have awesome OSTs. I’m not interested whatsoever in Nuclear Dawn, though.
    In short: If you don’t already own these games (though you probably do), that is a great pack.

12. Chalk says:

What’s happened to KICKSTARTER KATCHUP?????

WAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :(

13. Arcadia says:

The current Indie Gala (http://www.indiegala.com/) is worth a look, too. You Are Empty, Trine, and, for 6$+, Cities in Motion, Deponia, Magicka (+ Vietnam DLC) and Painkiller.
    Despite poor reviews, You Are Empty is a very immersive game, Painkiller is great and Trine is considered very good by many people, although I don’t like it. I have yet to try Cities in Motion, Deponia and Magicka.

• Hoaxfish says:

I wouldn’t mind someone explaining what Cities in Motion is.

It looks closer to those farming sims, putting you in charge of manually routing trains around, rather than Simcity style city-builder.

• Arcadia says:

It looks similar to Traffic Giant or, probably more well known in not german speaking countries, Transport Tycoon Deluxe. These games are all about building and managing, well, traffic and transport, much more in the vein of SimCity or RollerCoaster Tycoon than of the Farming Simulator.

• Premium User Badge FriendlyFire says:

I’m afraid the only descriptor I’d have for Cities in Motion is “Transport Tycoon but bad”. It removes all the fun stuff from TTD (like making your own roads and rails across vast landscapes) and adds really snore-inducing mechanics like planning a good timetable, all while having a really bizarre time scale.

I got it for free and am glad I did, for I’d have regretted actually buying the thing. It’s in a way worse than Farming Sim and all those because it’s very competent at what it does, so there’s really nothing so broken it’s hilarious. It’s just… boring.

• The Random One says:

A friend of mine found You are Empty recently. So how is it?

• Arcadia says:

It’s a mediocre to bad Quake style shooter with terrible localization, however, they nailed the atmosphere. The pacing is great and so is the sound design. Aside from the generally jankiness, the game felt tense pretty much the whole way through.

• MattM says:

That’s a great deal for those games, but when over half of the games, including the one the bundle is named after, are only included at $6 then I don’t think they can really claim to be a “Pay what you want” bundle.

14. Radiant says:

Ghost recon FS is actually worth a good go at that price.

It’s a pretty good game that has some nifty tools and tricks that you have to use to go through the levels.

I just wish that it trusted those tricks and tools a bit more and let us pick our own way across the maps.

But all in all a pretty good game.

• Radiant says:

It’s no where near as stunning as ghost recon/island thunder/desert thingum pc og versions though.

• Creeping Death says:

I played it back in November and found it a buggy mess. Took 2 reinstalls just to get the game to launch, and then I was plagued with bugs all the way through. Falling through the world and broken scripting were the major ones. I also never managed to finish it as, on what I presume to be the final level, while chasing a guy I died and upon reloading my ai partners spazzed out and ran back to the start of the map making it impossible for me to progress.

I spent less than a fiver on it and felt ripped off. It’s been a long time since I played something that broken.

• Radiant says:

Whoa that totally didn’t happen to me.
        I think it’s been patched up though.

• Syra says:

I would love to know if it was patched up, I was quite excited then I had word from a friend who preordered that all his mouse clicks and all but 2 keys on his keyboard would utterly fail to respond by the second mission, where he couldn’t advance at all due to story requiring a tag command or something.

15. Baines says:

Just a nitpick, but who says the Indie Royale Replay Bundle games are some of the more popular games from previous bundles?

Indie Royale’s wishlist system only allowed people to mark complete bundles, not individual games, that they wanted to see return. The Replay Bundle takes five games from four separate bundles, however. Unless there is some other unmentioned metric, there is no way to tell whether there was much demand for those particular games to return. People might have really wanted games like Zeno Clash, Max & the Magic Marker, Sanctum, or Hack, Slash, Loot instead. (Four example games from the same four bundles that the Replay bundle draws from.)

Was there some other such system in place? Because it would be nice to know.

16. SkittleDiddler says:

The Alienware website is offering an 85% off Steam Inventory coupon for Serious Sam 3 BFE. I don’t know if it works for you Euro-folk, and you need to reigster with Alienware to get the coupon, so be warned.

Alienware are constantly marketing deals like this, so it may be worth your while to register.

17. ShineyBlueShoes says:

On the digital page Amazon is advertising a 12 hour deal for the “Dawn of War Franchise Pack” for $9.99 ending at midnight PST. Looks like all the DOW 2 content, DOW 1 Gold and Dark Crusade (though no Soulstorm), and for some reason Titan Quest gold. They just fixed it while I was typing this so it’s showing for the right price now too.

Edit: Good news since they fixed the price! The $5 credit also works on this even though it’s not advertised anywhere.

• ShineyBlueShoes says:

FYI: DOW1 and Dark Crusade don’t register on Steam but all the DOW2 content does.

18. yapper says:

FTL was my only impulse buy over the holidays and possibly the best impulse buy I’ve ever done.

19. F3ck says:

…oh, look, Rage is down to a penny per gigabyte…hard to pass up.

…never mind, I’m going to see what all this XCOM fuss is about…so long, suckers…

20. Premium User Badge wengart says:

Green Man Gaming is having a sale on pre-order games from now until the 18th. Use this voucher: GMG25-XTYYZ-POSL1 during checkout to get 25% off. here are the a few of the eligible games:

The Cave
    Bioshock Infinite
    Metro: Last Light
    Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Crysis 3
    Dead Space 3
    SimCity Limited Edition
    Company of Heroes 2

Most of these games also have a cashback bonus saving you another 2-3 moneys.

They also have another 20% off deal for non preorder games using this voucher: GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK

Both vouchers can only be used once, but apply to all items in the cart. The link above is a referral link which means that we both get free money when you follow that link to create an account.

• wu wei says:

I was just coming to mention this. I managed to grab The Cave for $11.25; my 3-yo daughter & I had an awesome time playing Stacking, so we’re both very much looking forward to it.

• mwoody says:

Not valid for Bioshock, at least in the ‘States. :( Which is a pity, as you could stack that with the $15 credit.

Tried Metro, it worked. So it works for “select titles,” but has no list of said titles that I can find. Yeesh.

Still, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Found some clarification. It really does exclude Bioshock only for North America. Ouch.

21. running fungus says:

Ha. Not quite the same FTL arc for me, but I understand.

22. Jhoosier says:

Has anyone played Ravaged? It’s on 66% off on Steam with a free weekend to play right now. I’m surprised it wasn’t mentioned here. Is it any good?

• SkittleDiddler says:

It’s a blast when enough people are online, but there have been bizarre glitches plaguing the game in the last couple weeks. They disabled 90% of the US servers right before the weekend to work on some unspecified issues, and the remaining active servers are throwing me pings of 400+ when I’m allowed to connect at all. Apparently those in Europe aren’t encountering the same problems though.

Fun game, but I’m afraid many playing during the free weekend are going to be getting a very skewed experience because of the sudden technical bugs. It’s too bad — Ravaged deserves a much larger audience than it’s getting ATM.

• Jhoosier says:

It looked pretty, and you make it sound fun, when it works. I downloaded it for the free weekend, and nothing worked. No games showed up in the browser, and the auto-match just kept running. Now the free weekend’s over. Too bad.

23. Thermometer says:

Pfft, too bad that GMG code for Bioshock Infinite doesn’t get me the same price as you have listed there =(. I live in The Netherlands, and with that code it costs €37,50, no where NEAR £22,50. There is no option on GMG to change currency to GBP either =(

24. Phantoon says:

Solium Infernum needs to have a sale, but the creator lives in a underground bunker where the idea of more sales is horrifying to him.

I own it, but I can’t convince any friends to pick it up at its asking price when it’s so low-fi.

• mwoody says:

He should do a Kickstarter to hire a programmer to write him a decent engine. It’d have to be coupled with a new game, of course, but he has a back catalog large enough to give away for tiers of support.

25. Velvetmeds says:

Darksiders 2 was my fav game of 2012. Totally worth it.