Conan Roars Secrets Of Dragon’s Spine, Pushes Wheel

By John Walker on January 14th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Cats and babies share a thought pattern. Whatever situation they’re currently in, they assume will be the basis for their existence forever. Whether hungry, or shut in a cupboard, they will wail because they believe this is what life is now, and everything they can’t currently see or experience is gone for all eternity. (Everyone puts babies in a cupboard sometimes.) This also describes me, in almost all my thinking, including with MMOs. If I’m not playing them, or constantly having their every cough and burp BELLOWED at me by the entire gaming press, then they might as well have been taken offline. In other news, there’s a Conan update.

Age Of Conan’s latest expansion is The Secrets Of The Dragon’s Spine, where “Hurried excavations are underway to uncover the lost treasures of the ancient culture of the Serpent Men.” In it is a new area called Dragon’s Spine, because that is what new areas in fantasy worlds must be called, along with a new dungeon bearing the name The Sepulcher Of The Wyrm, because obviously it would be. This is all aimed at high level players, and looks a lot like this:

However, I should warn you, there are also “fears that the alluring and corrupting power of the Emerald Lotus may re-emerge”, so you might want to give it some thought before you rush in. We also hear rumours “of even darker powers dwelling beneath the Dragon’s Spine”, although some are arguing that this is just its bottom.

It looks rather gorgeous in the screenshots – there’s not much detail in the video to really judge it moving, however.

Age Of Conan: Unchained, is, of course, free now. However, access to this new content requires that you be a “premium player”, which costs some money per month. How much? They go to some lengths to hide this information from you on their website, but finally after agreeing to download the flipping client I found a link. It’s £10 a month, or £70 for a year, with scaled offers between.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Brun says:

Woah, this game is still alive?

• marshabilly5 says:

my neighbor’s step-aunt makes $69 every hour on the computer. She has been without work for 10 months but last month her pay check was $21411 just working on the computer for a few hours. Here’s the site to read more..Job Creation

• Drakhoran says:

Age of Conan may never make back it’s development cost but it is now “cash flow positive” according to the financial reports. Unlike certain other companies Funcom generally doesn’t shut down a game just because it’s not a runaway success, even Anarchy Online is still up and running.

2. f1x says:

At this rate Age of Conan will survive longer than The Secret World

3. Tei says:

Looks nice. Conan has some interesting places and quests.

4. caddyB says:

Is it any good though?

5. SuperNashwanPower says:

If you put a baby in the corner though, Patrick Swayze will come and gyrate a lot and perv it up, which is probably not a thing you want for the rest of (your perception of) eternity

I don’t know if Patrick Swayze pervs up cats, but my internet lawyer has just emailed me that how about a nice big mug of shut the fuck up macro

6. ScubaMonster says:

Graphics have always been amazing. Almost worth going back to try it out for that alone.

7. SominiTheCommenter says:

Isn’t that title image from Wildman?
    EDIT: Changed it, sneaky.

8. malkav11 says:

I’d much rather pay once for the expansion content like most other MMOs than pay monthly for a subscription that lets me access the expansion content.

9. PancreaticDefect says:

This game survives for one huge reason…or should I say two of them. And those two reasons hang on the front of every female character. (it’s also kind of fun, but thats less important.)

10. Fearzone says:

Age of Conan was the longest free-to-play game I’ve ever played. Which still wasn’t very long but I had fun and was decently impressed by it. Yahtzee summed up the whole problem of incorportating a single player story into an MMO. Sadly, Bioware did the same thing.

11. doma says:

As with the other MMOs from Funcom. This has the things that they have always been amazing at.

Fantastic visuals, audio and a great setting.

The atmosphere and story of Funcom games have always been great. Anarchy Online, TSW…

And the soundtracks… oh my. So good!

Too bad its not always that fun to play…

Comment on this story