Wild, Man: Gas Powered Games Kickstarting Wildman

By Nathan Grayson on January 14th, 2013 at 9:30 pm.

WILDMAN. WILDTIGER. WILDBACKGROUNDROCKFORMATION.

Gas Powered Games wants $1.1 million of your dollars. I also want $1.1 million of your dollars, but – instead of spending them on a mansion made of trampolines and a pony that’s also a rocketship – the Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander dev is hoping to bring an RTS-RPG called Wildman to life. It’s about prehistoric evolution, but with an amusingly silly twist. “What if men, when they evolved into the homo sapiens form, what if other creatures also evolved, and other creatures had sentient minds? You could fight, say, a giant fly creature, or a lizard creature, or wild animals. What if there were thinking cats and things like that? Insects that are just creepy, that grew and were vying to take over the planet,” explained Taylor in an interview with RPS. So it’s part exploration-based hack ‘n’ slash, part troop-commanding RTS, and part fly monster. Got it. Video after the break.

So basically, there are two core sides to the game: exploration and War Zones. When you take your burly barbarian man out adventuring, you get to make your own way through the world, discover loot, advance tech and talent trees, level up, and hack ‘n’ slash to your heart’s content. War Zones, meanwhile, unfold more like a traditional RTS mixed with the ally assisting and point capturing of Demigod. Then you strip your fallen foes of their shiniest tech (for example, soap!) and continue on your pillaging, skull-smashing way. In that respect, Taylor actually thinks Wildman’s a bit like Civilization, of all things.

“As vague as the relationship is, there’s a bit of a dotted line between Wildman and Civilization,” he told RPS. “The story is the story of man, the development of mankind, but there’s still an opportunity for some more local storytelling between characters – instead of the epic, overarching storyline.”

The full interview’s available for your perusal, but – if you’re feeling more opinion-y than read-y (I can only assume Wildman’s characters haven’t invented real adjectives yet) – what’s your take? I mean, all told, the Kickstarter’s a bit sparse at the moment. I still like the idea behind it, but are inventive concepts, attractive art, and – naturally – GPG’s storied legacy enough? Hopefully, we’ll see a lot more in the coming days, but in the meantime, are you interested in giving GPG $1.1 million of your dollars?

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. JackDandy says:

I’m not interested in this project at all. Basically because they’re mixing the genres I dislike the most.

• elfman says:

then why comment?

• marshabilly5 says:

If you think Ernest`s story is cool,, 2 weeks ago my girlfriend’s half brother basically got $9854 grafting a fourty hour month from their apartment and the’re co-worker’s mother`s neighbour done this for 9-months and easily made more than $9854 in there spare time at their labtop. applie the instructions on this web-site..Job Creation

• JackDandy says:

I was just stating my honest opinion. Isn’t this what comments are for?

Makariel says:

No, the comments are for pun threads. You’re doing it wrong.

• AngoraFish says:

don’t feed the trolls

• Lev Astov says:

FYI, when a comment merely states something like, “I don’t like this” it is seen as trolling by nearly everyone, whether you meant it that way or not. I’m guilty of this, myself, sometimes.

Comments are best used for starting a discussion. For instance, if you had spotted something in the video that bothers you, you might point it out and ask what other people think. e.g. “I think the video told me almost nothing useful about the game. Did anyone get anything out of it?”

• eks says:

You don’t like RTS or RPG’s? What kind of gamer are you?

(The answer is a terrible one.)

• int says:

Nor am I. I also must add that I hate CoD so I must post that I hate CoD on every article about CoD, even on articles that aren’t about CoD, because I’m so much better than people who like CoD.

GO FISH!

Yachmenev says:

“are you interested in giving GPG $1.1 million of your dollars?”

No, not really. I feel that $20 is the right level for my pledge.

3. mehteh says:

I dont know about this… GPG games are hit or miss. They put out rather shallow games every time they get in bed with a console publisher, but this is hard to judge. I dont care for RPG elements in RTS games so im going to say no pledge from me.

• SwedishChef says:

I wont trust anything that comes out of Chris Taylor mouth again after getting burned by Supcom2. What he is capable of saying has no bearing what so ever on reality and I would put Molyneux as more reliable. At least Molyneux attempts to follow through. Taylor left what, in my opinion, is one of the best games ever, Supcom: Forged Alliance with critical bugs. Space Siege was not good, and Demigod felt very small and limited for a full price game. But the real capstone is Supcom2 . How do you take such a good game, drop all its good features, and still talk about it like it is remotely related to the prequel? A good demo might change my mind about wildman but from my point of view it would have been better if they never told me Chris Taylor was part of the project.
      And yes I am bitter.

4. mattevansc3 says:

Sounds like Spellforce which was a good game but the merging of the genres felt a bit forced. Won’t be pledging though, never been a big fan of GPG as their idea of “strategy” is seeing how much micromanaging you can fit in one game.

5. Splode says:

Does ANYONE actually like ARPGs? I find that while your on screen character hacks away, all you do is hold down right mouse button. For hours.

jrodman says:

I think it could work pretty well if you turned the pace down a bunch and gave people a lot more to think about.

6. Eightball says:

I hope they take a look at what the Longbow folks are doing with Hegemony. But I want every strategy developer to do that…

jrodman says:

I would prefer to contribute to the trampoline-pony-rocketship Kickstarter. Do you have a link?

8. TimMc says:

I like RTS games with RPG elements and RPG games with RTS elements, but his sounds like two separate games that will be joined at the hip. Could be terribly shallow.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I dunno. That video rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

• AngoraFish says:

Could it be the hyperbolic and cliched dialogue, such as “…to create an experience that pushes gameplay to new heights”? Or perhaps it’s the attempt to trade on a series of games that, ever since Total Annihilation, have been borderline to poor? For me, I think the ick factor mainly arises from the forced, unfunny attempt at pseudo familiarity with the viewer…

Okami says:

Despite the fact, that Chris Taylor seems to be utterly unable to get what makes a good RPG or why people play RPGs, something that he has proven time and again with Dungeon Siege and Space Siege, he seems to be almost comically obsessed with creating them.

11. Danda says:

Finally a Kickstarter by THE Chris Taylor, not “another Chris Taylor” or “a third, unrelated Chris Taylor”.

But Obsidian’s Dungeon Siege 3 was so much better than DS1&2 that I don’t know if I’m really going to support this. Maybe.

12. Numerical says:

If it’s going to be anything like Space Siege or even Dungeon Siege, no spank you.

At least this time, Chris, put an option for WASD movement and I might, MIGHT consider buying it. I know I must be some mouf-breaving moron for wanting WASD controls in a rpg game, right? Just put the OPTION in there.

13. Didden says:

I thought it had merit. Will be putting money towards it.

14. Moraven says:

Dungeon Siege was great. So much hate.

Never tried DS2. DS was new and different than what we had at the time. Modding tool to expand on the game. Multiplayer turned into a weird ARPG due to 1 character controlled only but was great fun to explore and find new items and spells. And the pack mule.

15. TsunamiWombat says:

For all those saying an RPG-RTS won’t work – War Craft 3. That is all.

c-Row says:

Yep, didn’t work for me. Though that was probably for reasons beyond the genre mix, including the protagonist.

• zaphod42 says:

That was more of an RTS-RPG than an RPG-RTS. Brutal Legend was more of an RPG-RTS. With all the focus on prehistoric combat, it sounds like the RTS elements are more scarce and most of the focus is on the single character RPG, making it more like Brutal Legend.

Then again, Gas powered games is known for Dungeon Siege and Demigod, which are both very much classic RTS style.

If this comes out as being more like a full game DOTA, that could be awesome. I’m kinda dissapointed that DOTA games (Or MOBAs, whatever) haven’t really tried to vary things AT ALL. They’re almost all exact clones of the original DOTA map. I’d like to see more innovation. Hmmm.

• mattevansc3 says:

Warcraft 3 was just an RTS with RPG elements the same way COD is a FPS with RPG elements. It wasn’t a RPG/RTS Hybrid.

• Brun says:

The Orc “Campaign” in the Frozen Throne expansion was more like an RPG/RTS hybrid in that the focus was much more on your single RPG hero and the RTS elements were greatly reduced compared to the other campaigns.

16. zaphod42 says:

OTOH, games like Savage and Natural Selection are really fun and inventive, and I’d love to see more mixing of these elements.

OTOH, as much as I loved the style and Schafer’s humor, Brutal Legend fell pretty flat for gameplay. Thats what this sounds like to me the most, Brutal Legend. The RPG elements were pretty fun, but it had the same thing Wildman is describing, mostly RPG adventuring, and the occasional RTS battle. The problem was they never gelled together AT ALL. The RPG was pretty fun, but then an RTS section would come up and you’d be frustrated because you just wanted to keep on RPG-ing and now you had to do this wonky RTS game. It felt tacked on and rushed, it didn’t really combine with the base gameplay well enough.

We’ll see how this goes, I suppose. I really wanted to like Brutal Legend, maybe the idea just needs some more polish, a different approach. Or maybe this kickstarter could be just like Brutal Legend, really, really cool in theory, but not all that fun when you finally play it. :(

I do like the sound of the flavor, we haven’t seen many prehistoric games in awhile. But games are about gameplay, not flavor.

17. iridescence says:

This game has an interesting concept but seems so ambitious it could be easy to muck up. I think I’ll wait to see the finished product before deciding to buy on this one.

Joshua says:

— You are being attacked by wild animals!