Number Punching: 10000000 Comes To Steam Today

By Adam Smith on January 15th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

I have neglected my alt text duties in recent times. If you read this and think I should try harder, let me know.

I have a habit of downloading games on my iPhone at four o’clock in the morning whenever insomnia has taken a firm grip on my life. Sometimes I’m surprised to see the icon the next day because many of them don’t linger long in the memory. I downloaded 10000000 before a train journey though and played it all the way to London, then continued playing it as I drank an overpriced espresso and then played it again on the way home. If this little match-3 RPG was a snack, it’d be the sort that makes a slender man like myself into the portly and jovial fellow I’ll become after approximately another six months of hard-hitting, arse-sitting games journalism. Today, 10000000 comes to Steam. The video explains.

Or maybe the video doesn’t explain as is so often the case. Allow me.

The little man at the top of the screen is you, the hero, always running to the right as heroes do. If he touches the left side of the screen he fails and must go back to the beginning of the dungeon, after upgrading his gear and abilities with whatever loot he found along the way. As he runs farther, he meets nastier creatures but finds more shiny treasures.

You don’t have to make him run, he just does that. All input takes place on the grid, matching objects by sliding rows and columns into new positions. Match swords or magic to attack, f’rinstance, or keys to unlock chests. There isn’t a lot more to it than that but because everything is happening so quickly, it’s very tempting to try again and again and again. The constant development of the character, who is always striving toward the 10000000 points that allow freedom, provides a foundation on which the five minute sessions become a larger compulsion.

Although I haven’t played the PC version yet, I reckon the frantic dragging and matching is best suited to a small touchscreen. But, hey, it’s good to see an enjoyable little indie reaching more platforms and apparently it’ll only cost four or five dollars.

Via Polygon.

, , .

1. MrDreadlock says:

Harder? Harder is not enough! I demand alt text for text!

2. Trillby says:

That’s ten million for everyone who, like me, has a neurotic need to know, but unlike me has better things to do than count the zeroes, scared that they miscounted because a bunch of identical numbers next to each other have a tendency to blend together and confuse a brain. Just a little service to you all on my day off.

• Adam Smith says:

I even made sure to put the right number of zeroes in the image title. Proper journalism that.

• bravesirrobin says:

You are a beacon of light in this dark plane of endless zeroes.

• LucaRedwood says:

I didn’t put the 0s in because I thought i was being more international (other languages using other separator chars/locations) But in retrospect, it was just really stupid – The game is in english, so the title should be too.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Oh thank god for you sir

• SominiTheCommenter says:

0101010001101000011000010110111001101011001000000111100101101111011101010010000001110110011001010111001001111001001000000110110101110101011000110110100000101110

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

Steam has been so courteous to provide commas in the name as it appears in the list of new releases. I wonder if they did that on purpose.

3. Didero says:

You should try harder.

4. Commander Gun says:

My personal favorite iOS game of 2012 (ok, except Ascension of course). This is a gem, nothing less!

• ulix says:

Played it like a mad man on my phone. Amazing game. Probably not as good without a touch-screen though.

Match-3-Puzzle games, one of the few classic genres where a touchscreen is the vastly superior control method (also see “Planet Puzzle League” on the DS and compare it with the older Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack incarnations).

• RogB says:

ditto, played this more than any other game in the last few months.

• Meat Circus says:

Yes, I lost an entire day of my Family Festivus to this addictive little sod of a tile-slider ‘pon my shiny Apple toy.

Which is good, I suppose.

Also: DAT TUNE.

Also: TRYHARDERFACE.

5. Persus-9 says:

Not the sort of game I’d play on PC but I’ll look forward to the Android version which in the works according to their blog.

6. trjp says:

I loved this on iOS but I’m mystified that you’d port it to PC BEFORE Android or other mobile platforms…

Bizarre choice…

iOS likers of this should also check out Dungeon Story

p.s. only $4 or $5 sounds OK until you realise it’s 69p on iOS… … …

• frightlever says:

Or, also on iOS, Dungeon Raid. Or Sword and Poker, though neither is strictly speaking match-3.

I did most of my gaming on iOS in 2011/2012 though I’ve lapsed this last half year or so.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

But you pay extra for the nearest-neighbour upscaled graphics and finger-mouse conversions!

• Persus-9 says:

According to the dev blog the reason is that he developed it on PC and so knows it runs on a desktop just fine, so releasing a PC version was almost no work at all. Whereas the Android version needs to checked to make sure it runs nicely on lots of different handsets before it is released.

• RvLeshrac says:

I’m curious as to why, if it was “no work at all,” he’s charging a minimum of double the iOS price.

There’s nothing wrong with selling it for $2.50, or maybe $3, but $4 is double the iOS price, and $4 is the *sale* price.

• Premium User Badge Wisq says:

It may be that Steam had some say in the price. Different ecosystem and management style than the Apple Store.

Or maybe it’s just that PC gamers are used to spending more for games than phone gamers, and so the price makes more sense this way.

• Teovald says:

This choice puzzled me as well.. until I read the game’s forum. It looks like 1000000 is mostly a hobby for its creator, so he may be unwilling to spend the necessary time to learn how to port his app to Android.

As for the other mobile platforms; there are simply not enough terminals on any of these to justify a port before Android or windows.

7. kyrieee says:

Massively overrated, just play bejewled instead

• frightlever says:

The original Treasures of Montezuma is my go-to match-3 game. The second was a dog but the 3rd is decent. I like Bejewelled Blitz, to an extent, but the original Bejewelled is too slow.

• RogB says:

so wrong
      that is all.

• kyrieee says:

Why? The progression mechanics don’t affect the actual game (match three) and the controls for matching are much more fiddly.

• mmalove says:

I will say, I do wish these various match 3 spinoffs would adopt the ability to continue making matches as gems are cascading. Do you have experience as to whether this particular one can support this?

• LucaRedwood says:

I couldn’t work out a way to. – You shift the whole row or column, so you can’t guarantee the locality of any match, but maybe someone smarter than me could. – What happens if the row/column your dragging has one of its members matched?

• dontnormally says:

It only checks to see if there are matches when you release your finger. You can drag as far in either direction as you like, as long as the end point creates at least one match.

You cannot begin dragging a row/column until the animation for *matches-have-happened! new-things-falling!* ends.

8. ZIGS says:

Am I the only one who’d rather have this on Android?

9. Premium User Badge jrodman says:

Please use title=, not alt=.
    alt= properly is to be shown in ALTERNATION to the image, so many browsers won’t show it because they correctly can tell that we are viewing the image.
    title gets shown everywhere.