Dark Humor: Double Fine’s Cave Emerges Next Week

By Nathan Grayson on January 16th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

So yeah, maybe don't ring the bell.

Ron Gilbert’s told us all about The Cave. Ron Gilbert’s told us about what he might do after The Cave. The Cave’s told us about The Cave. So honestly, what’s even left? Well, logical progression would suggest that The Cave should now tell us about Ron Gilbert, and perhaps it will - but, you know, symbolically and stuff. First, though, we’ll need to be able to play The Cave (instead of just say “The Cave” way too many times in one post), and that requires it to be safely under our roofs, basking in the dripping liquids of our own neglect-borne ceiling stalactites. Fortunately, it’ll be doing exactly that in just one week.

Yep, that launch trailer sure was the two previous character trailers glued together. But I actually don’t mind so much, given that The Cave – driven by character arcs and an often shocking (just wait until you reach the end of the Hillbilly’s level) sense of humor – is probably best enjoyed with only a small amount of foreknowledge, if any.

I’m hopeful that it’ll be quite the thing, too. I mean, obviously, being declared the spiritual successor to Maniac Mansion gives you some pretty sizable sneakers to fill, but Gilbert also claims this idea’s been fluttering around in his mindcaverns for more than two decades. That’s a lot of time to grow and change and consider the nature of the universe and whatnot, so I’m fairly excited to see how that translates into game form.

It’ll be out on January 23rd for $14.99/£9.99. That’s kind of a steal for two decades of Gilbertian wisdom, huh? So then, who’s taking the plunge?

, , .

1. f1x says:

Giev! I’m looking forward to playing this <3

2. Kinth says:

The price has me worried that the game is going to be really short.

• baby snot says:

You can buy it on Steam for an extra fiver and worry no more! I’d like to know if there is much content also. Guess I’m waiting for WIT.

• f1x says:

I don’t care much about quantity but rather about quality
        of course, doesnt mean the game should be extremely short (that would be disappointing)
        but rather be short and live to the expectations in terms of gameplay/history/appeal

on the other hand as I understood, every characther has a different story so there should be a good amount of replayability

• Premium User Badge Morlock says:

Same here. I am looking for good experiences, not time sinks.

• Deathmaster says:

Already pre-ordered on GMG. They still have a 25% off until the 18th, beats a Steam order.

• Premium User Badge Vesuvius says:

Or you can pre-order at Amazon for $15, but then get a $5 credit towards your next digital game purchase

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

A great game is a great game. Length is hardly the most important factor in making a great game. Mark of the Ninja, for example, isn’t that long, but is an excellent game nonetheless.

• Derppy says:

Exactly.

I’ve beat some games in one sitting and felt extremely satisfied and that I got my money’s worth.

It’s way more common for games to artificially prolong themselves with stupid quests and repetition for the sake of length alone. I don’t know if developers and designers feel it’s not worth it to implement a game mechanic unless it’s used two hundred times in the game, or if majority of the people actually find the “collect 28 items” or “kill 18 enemies” essential parts of a game.

Of course there’s exceptions, long games that manage to keep a good flow and never become too repetitive, but I’d say they are very rare beasts.

I’ll rather pay 15$ for 2 hours of pure joy, than 60$ for two hundred hours of something to kill time on and be slightly entertained from time to time.

• Venkman says:

Huh? It’s a digital release. $15 is essentially the maximum price for digital releases.

3. bgf says:

Didn’t care much for Double Fine’s last couple offerings but this one looks like a sure winner.

Looking forward to playing the Twins and the Hillbilly!

• Premium User Badge Vesuvius says:

First playthrough for me: Hillbilly and Scientist (ignorant vs. educated)
      Second playthrough: Time Traveler and Monk (future vs. past)
      Third playthrough: Knight and Evil Twins (good vs. evil)
      Adventurer seems cool, but doesn’t fit into my dichotomy setup here

• Den_Fremmede says:

Well, the game actually lets you pick three characters.

4. Xardas Kane says:

All praise Ron Gilbert ans his wicked sense of humor!

5. Armante says:

It’s $19.99 for me. Just because I live on the other side of the planet :/
    Looking forward to it, but will wait on a few reviews before plunging in.

• baby snot says:

Gamersgate $14.99 (comes with Steamworks DRM if you’re into that sort of thing). Amazon same price + $5 store credit (huh?). Need to use a US billing address (Steamworks DRM).

6. UncleLou says:

Pre-ordered it on Steam, I am glad it has a concrete date now. There’s almost zero hype or coverage though, which I find a bit surprising. RPS must be the site where I’ve read about it the most, but even here there usually aren’t many comments.

• Deano2099 says:

It is quite odd – first point and click adventure by Schaefer since Full Throttle (I think) gets millions in Kickstarter funding. First (adult) point and click adventure by Ron Gilbert since Monkey Island 2 coming out from the same company and barely a whisper.

7. Glottis1 says:

This better be good.

Last couple of DF/ Tim Schafer games have been good, but nothing amazing. Psychonauts was last great game by them on pc. That was 8 years ago.

• f1x says:

I really loved Stacking and Costume quest, absolutely great games, but they felt like lesser games somehow and also took forever to reach the PC

Iron Brigade on the other hand, didnt really amuse me, but that might be just my preferences, after playing Orcs must die 1 & 2, Iron Brigade sort of felt boring

Its a shame Brutal Legend was not made avaliable for PC, its a damn masterpiece

8. rustybroomhandle says:

Will be available for Linux on Steam too. Probably also a lot more ‘Steam box’ friendly than Crusader Kings 2 that was released yesterday. ;)

9. JackDandy says:

I already took the plunge! I never played Maniac Mansion, but I enjoyed the HECK out of Day of the Tentacle as a kid.

I figure if you take the multi-person adventure approach, mix it up with a Metroidvania, and put Gilbert as the designer, it simply can’t end up bad.

Looking forward to it!

• Gink says:

You could play MM in DotT using one of the computers in a room of the first floor in the house, in the time period the nerd was in. (Dont remember his name)

Edit: Preordered The Cave, looking forward to it indeed :D

10. DestructibleEnvironments says:

I’m excited by this, but it will sadly only have local co-op. Don’t they know that PC gamers have no friends? D,:

11. The Random One says:

I don’t preorder games, but on this one I might cave.

• captaincabinets says:

I’d been trying to work this comment out for ages, and then all of a sudden, spelunk! I got the pun.

12. Monkeh says:

Already got it, now just can’t wait to play it!

13. derbefrier says:

That reminds me. I need to pre order this.

14. Kolimako says:

trailer looks good, need to play

15. Skabooga says:

There is no denying that I have the Double Fine fever. This should be just what the doctor ordered.