Minecraft Basketball Is A Slam Dunk

By Craig Pearson on January 16th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

He's going for a Chaos dunk!
People amaze me. I look at Minecraft and see a terrifying leafy, deserty, landy, watery blank slate. I’m as creative as a one year-old, and most of my acts destructive and sad. I am still rubbish at the damn game. I don’t have the brain to look at Minecraft and end up with a mod that adds a fully working basketball game to it. The people that made this are, to me, the Harlem Globetrotters of Minecraft. They’re spinning things on their fingers and wearing short shorts while chewing bubblegum. They probably majored at Globetrotter University in razzle dazzle Globetrotter calculus. I am jealous.

It’s surprisingly involved. It needs four players, two per side. When each team is ready in the locker room they press the button in there and are transported to the court. The ball is a wonderfully blocky sprite, and the game manages to keeps stock and spawn a new ball when a hoop is scored. You can shoot, pass, dunk, and PvP is ‘encouraged’. Basically it somewhat resembles basketball. More than vanilla Minecraft, at any rate.

This is all made possible by the terrifying magic of Redstone. Someone’s going to create life with that, and then we’ll be sorry. Creepers are scary enough in-game. Fancy trying it? All you need is right here.

, .

1. Zanchito says:

The game broke the meta barrier when they created a redstone computer inside it, with memory and all. Still, a great example of why we love moddable games!

• x1501 says:

And even a greater example of why the publishers hate them. Try selling a horse armor DLC for $1.99 after that.

• Zanchito says:

Indeed, but I think that’s a bit of shortsightedness from the suits. Oblivion was totally moddable and it still sold a ton of DLC. Mods add the chance to exted the life of a product way past the time you’d usually consider viable (ie. Arma2 <- Day Z)

• Tei says:

The ARMA2 publisher must be happy, since is still n#1 in Steam after months.

• zeekthegeek says:

They rejected all publishers who approached them anyway. Notch still makes several hundred thousand dollars in sales EVERY DAY so they’re not exactly hurting for it. They’ll reach 9 million PC copies by the end of the month.

yhancik says:

Minecraft 2 will actually run on a redstone computer in Minecraft 1

• plugmonkey says:

Lol. The terrifying truth is that someone, somewhere is probably building that…

• gjrud says:

If I remember right someone created a “2d minecraft” using redstone and lamps months ago =)

• solidsquid says:

With local networking if you build two redstone computers. For internet based multiplayer you create a minecraft server for the game with multiple redstone computers and everyone logs onto that server and access one of the computers to boot up minecraft 2

2. Gnoupi says:

As far as “sports modded into another game” go, I always remember Deathball, for UT2K3.

I miss it, too.

• Kid_A says:

-obligatory Grifball reference here-

• phelix says:

What about TF2 dodgeball? Not sure if it’s present in another game, but it’s a sport to be sure.

• Spacewalk says:

I remember the mod for Quake which let you play football with a severed head as the ball and you could shoot rocket launchers into the bleachers. Because I’m old. Oh, and Quake chess maybe, you can play chess as a sport right?

3. Kollega says:

Next step: recreating Barkley, Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden in Minecraft.

4. Leetables says:

Now to implement “Razzle dazzle!”, “Heating up…” and “He’s on fire!”.

5. fuakinjuicy says:

Am I the only one who’s just unimpressed with all the Minecraft creations? It’s like coding masturbation, oh great you’ve created basketball in a blocky crafting game, now go and create and actually good basketball game

6. surftuft says:

This isn’t a mod, it’s done totally in vanilla minecraft.