Wheelie Good News! Trials Evolution On PC In March

By John Walker on January 17th, 2013 at 5:30 pm.

It’s obvious that RedLynx stopped loving us. We were there for them, day and night, attending to playing their games. But then oh look who should stride in with their long legs and big, muscley arms but Microsoft, flashing their wallets and giant cars. And Trials really became an Xbox thing, leaving us staring at the space where RedLynx used to be, sobbing.

Oh, but who’s this crawling back to us? Microsoft’s big money and tall hats weren’t everything you hoped for, eh? You think you can just waltz back in here, play with our hearts like they’re days old treacle pudding? Yes, quite correct, because Trials Evolution is bloody brilliant.

As promised, Ubisoft have stood upon their mountain and trumpeted the news that a Gold Edition of the game will appear on the 22nd March. This is being ported by Ubisoft Shanghai, with RedLynx “supervising”. I like to assume that means they walk up and down between the desks like exam invigilators, occasionally silencing a cough, or picking up a fallen pencil.

In it will be all of Trials Evolution, and all the tracks from Trials HD in the later game’s better engine. It’s also described as being optimised for PC, including,

“All of the features of its forerunners – from the in-game editor, player sharing of tracks, and global Leader Boards, will be re-integrated into the game in a way that fits the new platform.”

You know, it was actually Kieron who made their break-out game, Trials 2 SE, get any attention at the time. THEY OWE US EVERYTHING. Literally, everything. I’m going to sue them for the lot. Meanwhile, here’s the new trailer:

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. FurryLippedSquid says:

About time!

2. warp says:

I hope this includes the DLC from the first game as well, some of those levels were pretty fun.

• Delusibeta says:

Yeah, they already confirmed that all of the Trials HD DLC is in. Sadly, neither of the two Evolution DLC packs is included, yet.

Henke says:

That’s still a hell of a lot of content for 1 game. Glad to see Evo coming to PC, knew there was a reason I’d held off buying it for the XBox. :)

3. WoundedBum says:

I hope this version comes with a re-bindable retry button to prevent excessive wear.

Lambchops says:

I was too rubbish at Trials 2 to get much out of it I’m afraid. It’s a game I like in principle but just can’t enjoy as it’s too damn difficult for me.

• Spidery_Yoda says:

The 2 Xbox games are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar easier to get into than Trials 2 was.

5. jimbonbon says:

Noooooo, my spare time! Just reading this article I need to go and re-download the original.

6. Wedge says:

Is it still the same physics ever since the PC versions? I recall finding it amusing back in the day, but far too finicky to ever put together a real run on a course of any complexity. I’m aware SOME people could do it, but it was always more like QWOP to me than a precision trials game. And this is coming from someone who has played the likes of N, Dustforce, and Trackmania at reasonably competent levels.

• iainl says:

As someone who couldn’t get the hang of Trials 2 after giving it a go because I’d beaten every level of Trials HD and Trials Evolution bar two of HD’s “Extreme” tracks (and my GOD they are indeed extreme), I can confirm that there’s a massive leap between 2 and HD in the physics engine and how it handles.

Evo is different to HD as well – it’s stricter on small scrapes to the head and back than HD, but is more generous with weight shifts – so I’ll be interested to see how the HD levels play with it. Yes, that’s because the metric crapload of hours I’ve clocked up on the games clearly don’t seem to preclude buying it all over again just for that (and some new leaderboards to take on).

• Wedge says:

Sounds reasonable, I don’t suppose they would’ve been so successful if they’d as been as crazy hard as the old PC ones.

7. trjp says:

There’s a brilliant game in every version of Trials – but it tends to get lost in a flurry of frustrating fucking-about…

Of course you can make your own courses which aren’t exercises in controller-breaking – but then you could write your own GAME if that’s your bag.

I’d like Trials a lot more if the developers didn’t just turn it into a series of frustrations tbh

• Cheebahh says:

So you’re just bad at the game?

I only casually played the Trials games back in the day and THEY were frustrating, both Trials that appeared on Xbox Arcade were absolute triumphs in decent control and beatable tracks.

Damn I am PUMPED for this game! Awesome that they’ll be including the original Trials!

8. ZIGS says:

Oh god, another game in March? Let’s see: Sim City; Metro Last Light; Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Bioshock Infinite; Resident evil 6; South Park RPG; Tomb Raider… and now Trials Evolution. Am I missing anything?

• DickSocrates says:

Resident Evil 6?

*checks*

Blimey, I had no idea it hadn’t been released for PC months ago. I don’t want to spoil anything for you, but all the reviews say it’s terrible.

9. x3m157 says:

I’m really revved up for this!

10. Baal_Sagoth says:

The style of the article made me chuckle. Actually, I’m pretty damn amused. Excellent!

11. clumsyandshy says:

Great news! What are the newer games like in style? Looks like a more action/ motoX style of gameplay than what I remeber Trials 2:SE being.

Oozo says:

So it’s a bit like Excitebike with particles, right?

• Delusibeta says:

Supercross mode is basically Excitebike with particles, the actual Trials is probably closer to Super Meat Boy On A Motorcycle.

• Dirk Beefhammer says:

In any case it’s the best game with motorbikes in it!

13. Sinky says:

Pah, we don’t need this when the PC already has Elastomania.

• kd_ie says:

Yeah, these Trials games are actually unplayable for hours with an elasto mania history. You just keep trying to do the tricks you learnt in elma, and keep failing.

14. kwyjibo says:

They’re a Ubisoft studio? Fucking Uplay.

15. Leithal says:

Well i’l be getting the game, even if I must suffer through Uplay. It’s less effort than buying a 360, =P

16. Ivan The Spice Baker says:

Awesome! Let’s just hope it doesn’t turn into another “From Dust.”

• iainl says:

Well it’s immediately got one up on From Dust because its meant to be played on a pad, not a mouse, so they can’t ruin the controls. It’s just a question of how compromised the graphics are.

17. blurstoftimes says:

This screenshot got me so excited that they were making another Motocross Madness :(