World Of Tanks Chinese Tanks Now Tanks… Er, Live

By Nathan Grayson on January 17th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

I'm envisioning something like March of the Penguins, but more heartwarming. And also with tanks.

I can’t be the only one who appreciates the ever-narrowing gap between official World of Tanks footage and nature documentaries, can I? There’s a certain grace to their low-speed loping, and recent products of Wargaming’s virtual camerawork have captured that in a way that just begs for overly embellished narration. But I digress. New tanks! After originally being announced for update 8.2, Chinese tanks are instead marching eager treads onto the battlefield as part of 8.3. You can hop in right this second, too. Or you can watch the trailer and audition to narrate my upcoming National Geographic tank special.

For history buffs, it’s worth noting that most of these tanks never actually entered service in the Chinese army. Also, many are heavily modified versions of designs by the¬†United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union, so they might be a bit more eclectic than you’re used to. At the end of the day, though, they still go boom. They go boom real good.

“Since the Chinese tanks, for the most part, are a hodgepodge of different parts, their role on the battlefield will be a special one. The biggest impact, as you can see from the tech tree above, is that Chinese light tanks go all the way up to tier VIII which will increase the options of speedier tanks on the battlefield in higher tier matches.¬†That’s not to suggest that the other tank classes will be left out. In fact, mediums will be capable of inflicting serious damage thanks to their guns, and heavy tanks (in some cases) will actually have heavier armor than their Soviet counterparts.”

So there’s something for everyone in the 17-strong tech tree, it seems. Also, here’s a list of a million-billion balancing tweaks and changes to other nations’ tanks, so those are probably worth perusing. I haven’t played in quite a while, so I can’t really parse them, but it seems like a lot of single digit stat tweaks. Is there more to these changes than meets the eye, though? Is this actually the end of the World of Tanks as we know it?

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. choconutjoe says:

Is there more to these changes than meets the eye, though?

They’ve rebalanced the artillery. Potentially it’s a major game-changer.

• 0positivo says:

Rebalanced how? I hope it’s a buff, from what I remember my experience with tier 4 artillery was nothing but frustration… lights too fast to be hit, heavies too tough to be wounded, and less range (!) and ammo than a tank destroyer

• Gurrah says:

No, it’s an all around nerf because wargaming still refuse to put in an arty-hardcap on the matchmaker thus making everyone happy, now once again artillery-players got the axe. I love the game to bits, but instead of introducing a patchwork tanktree they should’ve really fixed a few issues concering balancing and the ever present arty-party. Their answer is always a nerf which does nothing because the players who are passionate about arty adapt and move on because as long as there’s no hardcap people will be annoyed by battles with 5 arties and up.

• DarkFenix says:

The ‘rebalance’ is a nerf, but nothing to speak of really. Their hp has been significantly reduced so you’re more screwed than you were before if anything reaches you, but aside from that it’s mostly minor mobility and accuracy-on-traverse changes (mix of nerfs and buffs on various vehicles). The only SPG with a significant gunnery nerf is the Batchat arty.

And if that’s your experience in arty, then more practice is the answer. Hitting moving targets, no matter how fast, is simply a matter of getting used to the shell travel time and anticipating enemy movement.

• Kamos says:

Honestly, I don’t understand the rationale behind most changes to the artillery. Why reduce Its hit points when it was already one-shot by pretty much anything? All they have accomplished with this is making arty even less able to be played in inventive ways, following the lines of battle, or even in direct fire mode. Apparently war gaming likes it that even French SPGs (so-called unique mobile etc.) defaults to hugging the edges of the map.

Artillery in WoT has nothing to do with real world artillery. It should do less HP damage on direct hits, but at the same time, it should have an increased burst radius and do much more critical damage to systems and crew. If the purpose of artillery is to keep tanks on their toes, then modeling it better after the real thing would be a good start!

• choconutjoe says:

It’s a pretty big nerf. High tier games are currently flooded with artillery, which is sapping the fun out of the game.

Try getting one-shotted in a top-tier heavy before you’ve fired a shot, from the opposite end of the map, by a tank you can’t even see and you’ll know what real frustration is like :P

Edit: Ninja’d!

• Kamos says:

Real frustration is playing as an arty, having a 30 second reload time and missing a target because it decided to move 3m back just after you took the shot.

• xsoulbrothax says:

In my experience, if they only move 3M they’re still getting whacked by the splash pretty hard. :D

But yeah – it’s definitely a familiarity thing, especially anticipating the movements of others.

• Elmar Bijlsma says:

Nope, a heavy nerf to hitpoints and mobility for arty, and here and there slight nerfs to guns for some SPGs.

As for the inclusion of Chinese, I cannot say I like it.
        Almost entirely semi-fictional paper tanks they break immersion for me. What little WW2+Korea era flavour was there is fast disappearing. Blatant commercial decision to appeal to their Chinese customers. I would have preferred WG.net spending their time completing and balancing the British first.
        Still no Sherman Firefly? You’d think a tweak to the US model and WG have themselves a MUCH requested tank.

• plugmonkey says:

“Almost entirely semi-fictional paper tanks they break immersion for me. What little WW2+Korea era flavour was there is fast disappearing.”

Hear, hear.

The significance of the legendary WWII tanks within the game has been completely eroded by all the modern era tanks and prototypes they’ve added, and it’s not an improvement for me.

• MellowKrogoth says:

This. Not to mention that they used the communist Chinese flag as the symbol for this tech tree instead of whatever flag China had at the beginning of WW2. How does that make sense except to please communist party propaganda, when they use the historic German flag for the German tech tree, not the current one?

• Aqarius says:

The Kuomintang flag is currently in use in Taiwan. I’d use the new flag too if I were them…

• Loyal_Viggo says:

The arty nerf is needed, as hatred for arty is almost universal especially at higher levels.

WG were talking of a arty hard cap… but at 5! Which is 3 too many if you ask me.

Anyway, rather than introduce yet more vehicles, WG should focus on balance for existing vehicles and more maps, and tweaking the match-maker which can still be a sadistic bastard.

• Kamos says:

People who hate artillery are usually the same that consider an open field a good spot to park a tank.

I agree that the game does not need more tanks right now…

• Vagrant says:

I haven’t played in a year at least, but I instantly found out how arty is broken and how to fix it: remove the overhead camera. I thought arty was fun and challenging until I discovered I could just insta-aim with that.

2. Asyne says:

Why dodge the pun? We’d all like to hear of the new content “tanking off.”

3. rustybroomhandle says:

‘Overlord is waiting.’

‘Extra large!’

4. Kevin says:

So are they going to keep going down the timeline until they eventually get to the Leopard 2A6 and the Leclerc MBT?

• SocraticIrony says:

Maybe they’ll stop at the ED 209.

• Elmar Bijlsma says:

They are pretty adamant they will not cross into modern MBT territory with tanks featuring smoothbores, composite armour and targeting computers.
      Having said that, they are getting awfully close with the inclusion of the Pattons, T-62 and the upcoming Leopard 1.

• weakspot says:

its still World of Tanks so they might just keep upgrading the levels until they hit modern age with all the money they’re makings….after all they made the tech tree horizontal now, allowing it to go on forever

5. spindaden says:

Tanks World of Tanks.

Tanks.

6. Dana says:

Waiting for Warthunder to introduce tanks, myself. Its scale makes WoT look like plastic toy set.

• tigershuffle says:

yay for WarThunder…………. will be epic if it can live up to even some of its scope.

Still dip in to WOT occasionally but the paper (fuckme that idea was just on the back a beermat) tanks make me sad *pulls lost target face*

7. Koozer says:

I’m not usre what the point of adding a Chinese tech tree is – most of the stuff there is modified from other nation’s tanks already in the game, and the rest are just…more tanks. Nothing special about them, unlike, say, the French tree with their autoloader guns and speedy, thin heavies, or the US with their heavily armoured turrets for great hull-down potential.

• battles_atlas says:

I don’t know if you heard but there are quite a lot of Chinese and some of them have money to spend and some of those like tanks and most of those would probably be quite interested in a Chinese tech tree.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

There are also some small variations on tanks stats apparently on the Chinese server, as well as Chinese premiums not available elsewhere – for example the solid gold Type 59 (I’m not kidding).

I think the Communist Overlords in The Middle Kingdom probably mandate that Chinese vehicles be superior to all others in some way…

• heldelance says:

Nah, the Chinese never modified tanks or copied tanks from everyone else. There’ll be a news item soon claiming that everyone else copied the tank from the Chinese. Then they’ll release their own WoT game and claim that the original copied off them.

8. Cvnk says:

Woah. Did that tank catch air? Is that a new element or has that already been possible with other tanks? I haven’t played this since beta but I always wanted to do jumps over train tracks in my Leopard.

Comment on this story