Left 4 Dead 2 Workshop Liiiives

By Craig Pearson on January 18th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

MODS!
I don’t know about you, but Nick in Left 4 Dead 2 just wasn’t bearded enough for me, the apocalypse certainly didn’t have enough disarmingly dressed schoolgirls, and why can’t I make my melee weapons pink? These are all concerns that have now been answered with the opening of the Left 4 Dead 2 Workshop, Valve’s integrated mod platform that makes adding picky little tweaks and full campaigns the easiest thing in the world. I’d say you could do it blindfolded, but I tried and put my fingers in my Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

There are thousands of Left 4 Dead 2 mods and campaigns scattered across the internet, so it’s good to have an easy way to get at them. It was always such a fiddly game to work with. But now, if I want, say, a full survival campaign set in a large valley in the north-western Ered Nimrais, I can just click on the Helm’s Deep Reborn mod and wait for it to drop onto my PC. It looks like a lot of fun.

This NPC mod attempts to make the NPC companions a lot smarter. Ooh, and this adds health bars for all the other players to your screen. Sigh. I’ll be here for hours…

, , .

1. Fazer says:

There’s currently a problem with space for modders – only 500 MB per account, which makes uploading the big campaigns impossible. Hopefully Valve will fix it soon – http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussions/-1/864957182870115589/?appid=550

It’s funny because Valve have been preparing workshop for L4D2 for many months, yet they omitted this detail.

EDIT: Valve just increased quota to 1 GB per account :-) Quick to react, as ever.

welverin says:

What makes this limitation truly ridiculous is we get 2GB for uploading screenshots.

• Numerical says:

Mildred doesn’t seem like much of a gamer to me.

Anyway, you know someone has to bring it up every time and I guess I’ll be the one. I love Valve and have played all the games they have released, but for the love of bananas they just take too long to put out new iterations of their most popular titles, which I guess we pretty much can all agree are LFD and HL. Mods are great and all but those games are aging and soon enough the mods won’t be enough to make me come back again. Me want L4D3!!

• matty_gibbon says:

You don’t think TF2 is one of their most popular products? More popular than L4D even? I’m pretty sure they update that one regularly!

2. dontnormally says:

What’s with the hats?

3. SpoiledToast says:

I like the idea of Steam Workshop, I just don’t feel like it works very well. At least on my PC it’s pretty slow and clunky, and the convenience of having it in one place just doesn’t make up for that I feel.

4. Cytrom says:

I don’t think L4D is a good base for traditional modding (like custom skins, items, weapons, or even gameplay mods just don’t belong, or have room for them.. L4D is just a too specialised kind of game for good modding potential), but there is a very healthy amount of !quality! custom campaigns made for it, and the workshop only makes sense if they can gather them there, but l4dmaps has been already doing that for a while.

• HadToLogin says:

There’s a lot of good custom skins for guns and characters (personally, I really like that dress for Rochelle) and L4D really could use some real-mods. Unfortunately, it looks like game doesn’t really like new gameplay content, so not big chance to get some really nice flamethrowers :).
      Really, even adding possibility of custom models for custom campies would really improve game – like that Suicide Blitz, finale just screams custom Tanks in rugby outfits.

5. MeestaNob says:

The best news of all is that Valve have officially said they will be getting L4D2 re-rated now that Australia has an R18 rating.

I’ll lose it if the board rate it MA15 anyway.

• dontnormally says:

Would you care to elaborate on why this is an issue for those of us neither down nor under?

corinoco says:

L4D2 was famously given a ‘not-rated’ rating here, which means it was effectively R18. However until a week or two ago, R18 games were banned as SICK PERVERTED FILTH THAT CAUSE EVERYTHING BAD, despite R18 film media being freely available in the nations capital and home of most of our glorious wise politicians, the ACT.

Not that being banned stopped most of us getting it, we just fibbed about our location on steam for a day or so.

If it gets rerated as MA15, it will make a complete mockery of our glorious nations highly esteemed censorship department. Picture huge fat sweaty men with little piggy eyes, and big rubber CENSORED stamps that were left over after WW2

corinoco says:

Enable modding…. Half-naked inappropriately dressed schoolgirl appears in less than a day.

Two questions:

Who on earth has a never-ending repository of animated paedophile fap material on their drive?

Does anyone else get annoyed at the social grouping ‘gamers’ getting lumped in with ‘creepy half-dressed schoolgirl obsessives’?

• Narzhul says:

Not really, they can obsess about whatever they want. The only thing I’m tired of is having to go through billions of pages of those skimpy outfits or naked mods just to get to what I want, which is lore-friendly mods.

• TCM says:

Come to think of it, I am pretty sure that despite its overwhelming glut of mods, there isn’t a nude mod for the Infinity Engine games.

I am not sure whether that’s a ‘problem’ that needs to be ‘solved’.

• dE says:

Probably because of the 2D Perspective, much more work to create a model, animations and what not from scratch and it into sprites, than to super impose a texture on an existing model and tweak the proportions a “bit”.
        Neverwinter Nights certainly had a headstart on nude mods. So much that they took special precautions in NWN2 that you couldn’t do skincolor mods on the lowest texture-layer. Didn’t stop modders for long though.

• The Random One says:

The situation is such that an absence of complete nude mods is a victory.

• HadToLogin says:

But they exist. In both flavours. Just not on Workshop, since Valve, like everyone, believes that woman nipple is worst thing that happened, while flying gore is something normal.

• Nim says:

We are actually on the internet right now, in case you hadn’t noticed.

7. P7uen says:

The first thing I saw was the Benny Hill Witch mod. Utter genius.

8. Slade says:

Nothing beats the Tank theme from the Silly Infected Soundpack mod.

9. LionsPhil says:

Ooh, a version of the NPC mod for multiplayer, too. Maybe it’ll make them marginally more tolerable!