StarCraft Modders Making Unofficial Sequel To WarCraft III

By Nathan Grayson on January 18th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Zug-zug.

That’s StarCraft II, mind you. Otherwise, I think that’d be a dequel, and I’m not sure anyone actually wants one of those. But yes, WarCraft: A New Dawn is picking up the severed orc hand of maximum strategy Blizzard dropped after WoW exploded. As of now, it’s very much a work-in-progress, but the end goal is to craftily craft StarCraft into “a breathtaking, lore-abiding storyline spanning several emotionally-gripping campaigns containing new units, new heroes, and new features as well as a fully fledged melee mode.” Lofty goals, huh? Maybe even too lofty. The team’s released their first video, though, so you can judge for yourself.

Hooray, a Blademaster! That always was my favorite Warcraft III hero. The buildings look quite nice as well – or at least, the ones that aren’t holdover Protoss structures do. Meanwhile, A New Dawn’s website makes it clear that War III’s definitely its primary influence, with the bulk of units, heroes, and structures either heralding straight from the strategy titan or elaborating on aspects of it. Promisingly, Alliance and Horde unit selections and tech trees are already in place, and the deviations from War III seem cautious (so as not to steamroll balance) but interesting. Goblins, for instance, have gotten all snugly with the Horde, so they’ll be lending some more of their trademark tinker toys to the war effort – including a new hero.

From the looks of things, the absurdly ambitious mod’s been in some form of development for quite a while now, beginning with a 2010 project known as WarCraft IV: The Legacy of the Damned. However, that got scrapped in the middle of 2011, and a new team rose from its ashes to develop A New Dawn. Hopefully this project doesn’t also go the way of Grom Hellscream, because it’ll be tough finding a more convincingly hopeful name than “A New Dawn” for another reinvention.

Naturally, I’m doubtful of this one’s chances, but crossing my rust-worn RTS finger bones nonetheless. The Warcraft RTSes were my gamerly bread and butter growing up, so I miss them like childhood. And until Blizzard indicates another’s on the way, I’m totally willing to put some faith in a fan project that refuses to die. It’s certainly better than nothing. We’ll see, though. I’ll be keeping an eye on it, if nothing else.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Serpok says:

Personaly I can’t wait for valve to allow custom maps for dota2 so we can have Warcraft3 on its engine.

• CobraLad says:

Thats going to be the most ironic mod ever.

• luukdeman111 says:

that’s like making an unreal tournament mod for killing floor….. or a half life mod for dear esther….. I like it….

• vash47 says:

But the source engine is awful, why would you want that?

• DK says:

Source engine would actually work pretty well for an RTS – it just does terribly when it has to load giant maps. Like for FPS games. There’s a reason Valves Post-Half Life 2 Source products were all made up of small self-contained minimaps.

• darkath says:

That’s also why EYE : Divine Cybermacy turned out poorly :s

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

I heard that Jay Wilson is moving to a new project with Blizzard. I was secretly hoping for Warcraft 4.

• Sic says:

Oh, lord, I hope not.

Wilson has proved himself unable to tackle any existing IP. He should stick to creating new IP.

• Hoaxfish says:

Losing a match? Just head to the Warcraft 4 RMAH and buy the units you want!

3. Randomer says:

I can’t believe it’s been almost 10 years since we last saw a game set in the Warcraft universe.

• Hillbert says:

Not sure if serious…

• x1501 says:

Me too. What about Warcraft pandas?

• Neo says:

WoW came out in 2004 and there haven’t been any new games since then, only xpacs.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

Never really got into WoW, but from what I hear from some of my friends, with the amount of grind and other “duties”, it’s work set in the Warcraft universe, rather than a game. That’s an impression I got from the trial days as well, and that was in the beginning levels where I didn’t even have to deal with guilds taking the game far too serious and demanding I take part in ridiculous schedules or other crap such as repeating the same exact stuff daily or other’s barking orders and strategies at me as if I’m in the goddamn army.

From that perspective, no, we didn’t have any game set in the Warcraft universe for a long time.

• Brun says:

Sounds like your problems are with MMOs, and not WoW in particular.

• sinister agent says:

Shitty WoW-clone MMOs, perhaps. It doesn’t have to the like that.

• Low Life says:

And even then that’s just one way to play the game. I played for about five years total and I never had to follow a schedule (even when raiding), raids never had strict chain of command (though I have to admit that most of this took place after 10-man raiding was implented) and the daily repetetive grind can easily be avoided by not doing it.

Some people do everything the game lets them and enjoy it, some do everything the game lets them and don’t enjoy it (this is the group of people I can’t understand at all) and some do whatever the hell they want to.

• Nevard says:

No offence to you, but I always roll my eyes whenever I read a comment that starts with “I don’t actually play this game but my friends have told me X and I am going to regurgitate their opinions despite previously displaying my complete lack of qualification to talk about the game”.

• socrate says:

WoW as next to no grind other then daily quest…i think people don’t even know the meaning of the word grind anymore just like how they don’t know what a troll actually is.

Anyway its always sad to see how much talent there is in modders and how crappy dev can be compared to them sometime,not saying SC2 is crap just saying that other game are truly bad compared to the talent some modder have,this look really really good,hope it end up being finish at some point.

• Moraven says:

How you play it can make it a grind. People want to rush through content in 2 weeks, then complain about having nothing to do.

• f1x says:

Can’t blame him for ignoring the last 3 wow expansions to be honest

4. maximiZe says:

Lawsuit incoming.

• Lawful Evil says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they get “cease and desist” kind of message from Activision-Blizzard one day.

• Vorphalack says:

Why would they do that? As they are building this in SC2s editor, Blizzard own the project and all its assets, as well as the networking service it will need to run through. If it turns out to be a big success that can be monetised, or conflicts with one of their in house projects, they can simply seize it or remove it from Battle.net.

• MrTambourineMan says:

In all honesty, I’ll be shocked if they don’t get foxed.

5. killias2 says:

This reminds me of the Warcraft 1 Total Conversion and the Starcraft 1 Total Conversion people made for Warcraft 3. Neither went anywhere near complete, but both had some neat demos. If only….

6. Rao Dao Zao says:

What’s wrong with playing Warcraft III in Warcraft III? It doesn’t even have disc-in-drive DRM anymore!

7. Nevard says:

Could do with some more light and bloom to look properly warcrafty, Starcraft’s semi-darkness doesn’t really fit the art style very well!

8. Leramar says:

Oh man this looks awesome! I hope it turns out ok, Best of luck.

I wish Blizzard would make an actual sequel to warcraft 3 :(. Or maybe remake Warcraft 1 and 2, THAT would be sweet.

9. HothMonster says:

zug-zug

10. Moraven says:

Brood War multiplayer in SC2, including as many as the idiosyncrasies and unit behavior as the original:

Starcraft 1 campaign missions in SC2:

Nice idea they going with new campaign and missions from War3.

11. kodjeff1 says:

He should have been creeping with his grunts while harassing with blademaster.

In other words, it looks cool and brings back good memories.

• Magnusm1 says:

May I ask what “creeping” means?

• vivlo says:

it means kill the creep (=neutral monsters) camps, in order for your hero to gain xp and items. It’s the best strat early game for most of heroes, cause they need fast levels and it’s much easier to kill AI controlled creeps than ennemies units.