It’s About Time (& Space): Antichamber Release Date

By Craig Pearson on January 19th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

You’d need a six dimensional tongue to describe Alexander Bruce’s Antichamber. It is a game and a psychological experiment. I’m not even sure if writing about it is a good idea, or if it’s somehow judging from it’s non-euclidean dimension. It exists in a potential form right now, but it’ll soon exist in exchange for money and a few frazzled braincells. Bruce has descended from the higher plane, where time is of no consequence and everyone has both completed Antichamber and yet never played it, to let us earthly types know it’s out on in the fifth quadrangle of hex space, just before the Platnar’s ascendance. That is a fixed point in time. I’m just running it through the un-gibbernator to let you know. Put on ze goggles.

Let’s see, ah. In this universe, that translates to January 31st, 2013. It’ll be anchored to this plane via Steam. The game’s been through a long gestation, beginning as a UT3 mod years ago, before being picked up as one of the Indie Fund’s chosen few. Finally, you’ll be able to see what all the fuss is about.

John got to play it last year and it messed his head right up. Read. Understand. If this man ever got his hands on Portal… I’m so excited I just popped a time pill. See you on January 31st, 2013!

*snores*

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. SuperNashwanPower says:

How different is this to the playable demo thats been out for a while? If anyone from an alternate universe that has already played it and managed not to experience total protonic reversal by posting here is still … here, then please can you write words to let me know or otherwise communicate your thoughts to every point and time in space simultaneously. Or just leave a note outside Aberdeen swimming pool next tuesday morning.

• SlappyBag says:

Yeah I played and completed the original UT3 mod/demo about two years ago. I assume there will be a larger variety of refined puzzles but I’ve already experienced the message. I’ll pick it up in a Steam sale just so I can have it on Steam though.

For those who haven’t played it at all, its an interesting look at player habits & human psychology so wait for the release instead of jumping to the demo, I’m sure the release will be better.

• BMau.ro says:

I have not played the original demo but I have been playing an early-release version all week. The last time I played the game before this was about 2 years ago and the differences between the two are big, there is a TON more polish and quite a bit more content; the 2 year old build I played only had the first 3/4ths of the game, and those first three have changed extensively. I would guess the original demo could really just be considered a proof of concept, where this definitely is a full fledged game.

2. Navagon says:

I hope it gets a GOG release. It looks about as unique as something can be without making no sense whatsoever.

• The Random One says:

Likewise. Or at least allow me to buy straight from the devs. There’s no reason for an indie game without a strong online component to shackle itself to Steam.

3. presheaf says:

Ah yes, excellent. I had been looking forward to this since trying it at Rezzed. I’ve thought for a long time that games should take advantage of such available trickeries, and it was wonderful to see it realised. The psychological impact was really interesting.

4. Mr. Mister says:

I really loved the demo, and even played the UDK release to completion, but it somehow felt a bit too easy (block puzzle excluded). But then again, making it more difficult could make some solutions more arbitrary.

Anyway, I hope he solved the one-frame-behind problem with portals.

5. Viper50BMG says:

Yes! Played the Make Something Unreal test build back when it was called “The Game of Life” or somesuch, and loved it then; can’t wait to play it now. The art style is so clean colorful and weird, but somehow it always seems like someplace interesting to be, like a museum. Anyone else get a museum vibe playing the demo, or just me?

6. Sami Hamlaoui says:

FINALLY

7. mihahalu says:

as Bernard said I am startled that a student able to get paid $8485 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you read this web link http://www.Cloud65.com

8. BigEyeGuy says:

Played it at a convention not long ago, enjoyed my play very much, it’s a very unique game similar to Half-Quake mod in some ways but it’s way more polished and has a Castlevania sort of map unlocking element to it. With that said, don’t except to know what you are going to play, Anti-Chamber will make you forget all your FPS habits and make you re-discover how to “Play” those kind of games