Join Magicka’s Free Weekend Birthday Party

By Craig Pearson on January 19th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

1.8 million copies! Pull the cracker... KABOOM!
As the ice-god Wulþuz is exacting his revenge on the blasé warm bodies of Britain, it might be a good idea to sort yourself out with a game this weekend. You might get dripped on. You might nearly slip! Why even give yourself the option of leaving the house when you could be inside and away from the icy danger? You could just plug your name into Steam Roulette and see what pops up. Or, if you’re not one of the 1.8 million people that bought a copy of Magicka, then you could pop over to Steam and grab the free weekend.

That’s not all. There’s some free DLC for everyone! Jólnir – the Crimson King’s Worskshop is a challenge map where you’ll fight 20 waves of beasts, with only magic and your BFFs to stop the onslaught. There’s no video for the free DLC, so instead lets all remember how the advertised the game back in the annals of history. It’ll involve time travel. Come along, Ponds.

So, who has snow? And how much? And have you made a snowman, yet?

, , , .

1. MeestaNob says:

The game is mostly miss rather than hit for me, but I keep buying the stupid add-ons and things to support the developers enthusiasm. They clearly mean well and want to make fun games, so I’ll support them.

Am I the only person who thinks the gamepad controllers are useless? They updated the game to give it a full gamepad support rating on Steam in time for the Big Picture sale, but the controls are hopelessly unintuitive – m+kb definitely the way to go…

• Svant says:

Yes keyboard and mouse is better and faster, but not nearly as hilarious. Especially when playing hotseat. 4 controllers and a big TV. Playing with a controller is harder and more stressful so everyone is in full panic mode trying to get the perfect spells off, at the same time its harder to aim said spell so you have “accidents” quite often. Really makes for a better game experience, just blasting steambeams with a keyboard is too “easy.

• vivlo says:

i agree, controller is good fro playing multiplayer on one pc, which is good considering the lame network suppot on this game.

AlexClockwork says:

So… Downloaded it and tried to play, but, for some reason, it ran terribly slow. And my computer is way over the recommended specs. Any idea about why it happens?

Reset says:

Try turning all the graphics options to low/off and running it in windowed mode, not full screen. It’d been running really slow whenever I tried to play it until I tried switching to windowed mode. It’s still not great, but it’s playable now when it wasn’t before.

• Baines says:

It runs slow for me as well.

The really annoying thing is that, at least for me, it runs just as slow at the menu screen as it does in-game. I’d understand the game lagging when there is a level loaded, enemies onscreen, and various effects happening. But for it to have the *same* difficulty running the menu screen as it does running an actual game with a level loaded, enemies onscreen, and various effects happening?

3. mihahalu says:

like Melvin said I’m amazed that a mother can earn $5048 in 1 month on the computer. did you look at this web link http://www.Cloud65.com

4. Grey_Ghost says:

So why has this game turned into such a quagmire of bug-y-ness?

• LionsPhil says:

Turned into? It was months before I could play it at all.

Magicka is almost a modern poster child of fun game design marred by utterly, utterly, utterly dreadful implementation. The multiplayer—basically the point of it—is dreadful to get working, too, with all kinds of shenanigans like a group of four people all being able to see just two others, and a different two each. It’s utter madness.

5. Hatsworth says:

Played with a friend. Still a buggy mess.