Unlock Your Inner Lansbury: Steam Guides Are Out

By Craig Pearson on January 19th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Typewriter ready?

The gaming guide is something of a lost art form. Back in the day, they were the only way to find out how to get past that bloody goat in Broken Sword, aside from phoning Uncle Charles and asking him on his goat hotline. Now it’s all Google, Youtube, wikis, or skywriters. You can’t look at a sunset without the best StarCraft 2 build orders getting in the way. Valve are as angry as I am at those damn pilots, and have just un-betafied their newest Steam Community creation: Steam Guides.

Now everyone can give their opinion on how to best tackle a [thing] in [a game], with the built in Steam tools. They’re generally a bit more media packed than the plain-text GameFaqs, and you can’t CTRL-F a Youtube walkthrough, can you? They’re also community rated, so you can’t troll anyone without the gaggle of gamers tramping over your unfunny lulz. How useful are they thus far? This guide has all the publicly released Borderlands 2 Shift keys. They generate Golden Keys that let you open the Special Weapon Locker at sanctuary, delivering untold wealth in epic weapons. I have quite a few, now.

There are more involved guides, obviously. This is a highly-rated Red Orchestra 2 guide, which is handy as I’m just about to get into it. I’ll bet the writer felt a bit like this when he was done.

Guides will live within Steam’s community discussions, as a tab. You just head to whatever game you want to learn about, and click the tab.

What else do you thing Steam needs? A download manager is high on my list.

, , , , .

1. unangbangkay says:

Before Steam adds yet more functionality, I hope Valve gets working on making the client load a LOT faster than it does at present, especially given that they clearly want people using Steam as a browser (of guides and such). Right now the native steam client loads anything related to webpages so slowly that I prefer just buying games via a standard web browser.

Regarding guides, some “official” support would be welcome. You know how some games sell the Digital Prima or Brady guide as an option? Cutting a deal with those companies to put their information into a special, “official” Steam Guide would be good, and give them a leg up on places like Wikia, which these days is the default go-to for any game info-related stuff.

• Stephen Roberts says:

It’d certainly be nice to have more control over the Steam Browser. Tabbed browsing, cookie management. Basic shit for any other browser, really. I don’t like web browsers that aren’t locked down to my specifications.

• Ross Angus says:

Amen, Brother Roberts. Amen.

jrodman says:

How about a browser cache that WORKS?

Ugh, they cache the data, but on restart, they refuse to use it, so you download every god-damned image over again every single god-damned time. What a bunch of jokers.

• lordcooper says:

That makes an amazing amount of difference.

beekay says:

Steam now loads pages about 5 times faster. Yay.

Although it hasn’t fixed Steam’s insistence on loading the community tab when I’ve spent the last 20 seconds hammering the store tab.

• SuicideKing says:

Even the start-up + login time for steam is very long. VERY VERY LONG.

• Mctittles says:

Check out threads in task manager sometime. Mine Steam.exe usually shows between 40 and 100 even when it’s not doing anything. I cannot even imagine the programming horror required to accomplish that.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Valve are investing so much in fluff content that they’re forgetting the Steam browser is still a sloggy mess. They’re spreading themselves way too thin.

• sophof says:

This is more or less exactly what I was thinking off. Although I’m happy steam is finally getting a lot of features that were missing (like installing to multiple drives…), I’m afraid it is going the TF2 way of bloatware.

2. povu says:

More control over game updates would be nice. You can turn automatic updates off for specific games but AFAIK it turns the updates right back on the next time you launch the game.

It’s understandable for multiplayer games which you can’t play without the latest update, but for single player games like Skyrim there are good reasons for why you might not immediately want to update to the latest patch.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Steam broke my heart by updating my Skyrim. There’s a program called Skyrim Unplugged that will stop this. But it was too late. Too late.

So I don’t buy anything on steam no mo’.

• aiusepsi says:

Protip: If the game is on the Steam new content system (which is currently synonymous with “supports the install in other folders feature”) then putting Steam into Offline Mode from the menu will let you play the game without completing any pending patches.

jrodman says:

A shame that offline mode is completely unreliable to work at all.

• El_Emmental says:

A shame I managed to use it for years now.

You’re either doing it wrong, or Steam failed to implement the offline mode correctly with your settings. Or, a publisher refused to provide all the necessary access/files and/or disable its own DRM and Steam can’t do a thing about it.

As a wild guess, I would say there’s 33 % / 33 % / 33% for these possibilities (at worst).

3. Arona Daal says:

I suppose you can only write guides for Steam Games? So Mods and nonsteam-games are not an Option?

• Leaufai says:

Mods are probably possible, you just write it for the original game. Non-Steam games are not possible of course, but that makes sense. No game hub for a game that’s not on Steam.

• LeeTheAgent says:

There are guides for Day Z, so you can write guides for mods. It’s no different.

Lambchops says:

That bloody goat!

Hodge says:

A better way to sort/categorise your games, preferably with keywords.

AmateurScience says:

Just had a look at this. Might be worthwhile popping a ‘filter by language’ dropdown in there.

• quijote3000 says:

Totally agreed there. I mean, love the germans and all, but can’t understand the language at all. For all of us bilingual speakers, I’d like two languages, since spanish is my fist language.

7. Kaira- says:

I got a sudden feel of old and nostalgia when I realized that I’ve been using GameFaqs for over 10 years, probably closer to 15 years. First encountering it was a magical moment – a website that could guide me through all those puzzles in Myst or Riven or any given game (or so it seemed back then). And of course later cursing at the vague directions of MGS 2 – “go north” or maybe if I was lucky it had a nondecipherable ASCII-map.

Steam will have a long way to go if its going to get to level like that, especially with Wikis and all those other forms of guides that are around nowadays.

• Mctittles says:

I agree, although part of popularity is just people knowing about it in the first place. Sometimes the lesser product wins out by exposure.

jrodman says:

I have a vague memory of it being originally segasages and then later gamesages, but that might be wrong. In any event I’ve certainly been using it since the playstation era.

The wonderful thing about it is finding gamefaqs entries for games released in 1982.

8. Lemming says:

What I want to know is, what happened to honest to goodness cheats?

I’ve scowered the internet looking for cheats to unlock all characters for Sonic and All Stars Racing: Transformed, for example, because I just want to play with friends casually whatever we fancy. But do they exist? Nope.

Every site claiming to have ‘cheats’ thinks they are synonymous with ‘walkthroughs’ and ‘achievements’.

• unangbangkay says:

Cheats are dead, pretty much, barring things like savegame editors and the kind of hex magic you get from trainers.

Why enter a code to unlock everything when they can sell you an insta-unlock “DLC” pack instead?

• Lemming says:

One of the worst offenders is Guitar Hero: World Tour (I assume it’s similar for the others in the series).

They have a cheat code section on the menu, but NONE of the cheats unlock all the songs for quick play mode. one of them claims to, but it doesn’t include a huge chunk of songs in career mode.

I’ve never known a game more pointlessly gated. How is that doing anything but frustrating its audience?

• Salix says:

I miss having cheats these days, they made games last a lot longer once you’d done everything.

• Reapy says:

We can thank achievements for killing off trainers and in built cheats. When I was young and sucked at games like civ, having my finances pegged at 30k made the game playable and fun for me, it’s a shame you don’t really see that too often now a days.

• LintMan says:

Cheats aren’t entirely dead yet, but they are rare. Torchlight 2 has a console and a bunch of cheat codes.

For most other games, you’re pretty much stuck with using trainers or hacking it yourself with Cheat Engine.

Cheathappens.com produces safe and timely trainers for all the major games, but it’s a pay subscrfiption for many of its trainers. (I bought a lifetime sub a few years back and it was well worth it).

On the free route, the Cheat Engine forums sometimes have automated scripts for some of the games, but you’ll generally need more tech savvy for that.

phuzz says:

I noticed that Saint Row 3 has a ‘Cheats’ menu, although I’ve not looked in there yet. The top tier of upgrades tends towards god mode as it is (eg, not having to reload weapons, invulnerable to bullets etc.)

• hypercrisis says:

Not to mention : whatever happened to action replay carts?

9. D3xter says:

I want them to fix their utterly broken game/genre categorization in the store, the categories used for games just seem much too broad and nondescript.

For instance the first time I wanted to search for “Adventure” I thought I’d be getting a list of Point&Click Adventures since I like those sort of games.
    Instead there’s stuff like: I Am Alive, Batman: Arkham City, Torchlight II and Sleeping Dogs, followed by the likes of Terraria, Portal 2, DarkSiders II and Trine 2… that doesn’t really make any sense.

I was also missing something like a “First Person Shooter” category, instead there is “Action”, which is a category so broad that it could fit for almost every single game on Steam. There are almost 800 games in the category, and while indeed some Shooters are at the Top they are being followed by the likes of Dark Souls, Batman: Arkham City, Torchlight II, Awesomenauts etc.

“Strategy” seems rather pointless, since one would likely expect RTS games when searching there, yet it contains games like ARMA II, Natural Selection II, Orcs Must Die 2 etc.
    It’s also filled to the brim with games that should be in a “Puzzle” game category instead.

There are “Genres” for Free to Play and Sports but some of the most obvious Use-Cases aren’t considered.

This issue has become all the more obvious lately after Greenlight launched and will likely exacerbate as more and more games are added on Steam.
    Some of the categories will become unsortable to bottomline meaningless.

Some of the Use-Cases I would be looking for are for instance “Point&Click Adventure” (things like Tomb Raider, the Batman games, I Am Alive, Darksiders II etc. could be “Action Adventure”), “Puzzler/Puzzle Game” and maybe “Platformer”, “Strategy” as in Turn-based or RTS games with units, “First Person Shooter” instead of Action etc.

There’s a rather good article on Wiki regarding genres: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_genres , some would obviously be pointless since they are too obscure and there aren’t enough but there is an obvious lack of differentiation especially in regards to “Action” and “Adventure”.

Also I would LOVE it if they could improve their showing of Third Party DRMs, similar to other “Notices” like Low Violence, so people won’t have to use outside Websites to be able to get that Information: http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/ since something might be hidden in small print at the bottom of the page, not show up at all or similar.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I wonder who sets those? Steam? The developers who upload them? If it’s the latter, it would be really tempting to just tick all the boxes…

Maybe something they could crowdsource.

10. Lugg says:

What I think Steam needs? Here’s some things:

- The ability to filter my by now huge game library by e.g. the tags games have in the store, such as “multiplayer” or “co-op”.
    - A function to compare game ownership with people on my friends list. “Games you both own”.
    - Categories that work more like tags. If I want a game in both my “FPS” and “Tower Defense” categories, why are you stopping me, Steam?
    - While we’re on tags, how about automatically adding that sort of Metadata the way the ingenious XBMC does for movies and tv shows? Should be an easy one for Steam, that.
    - More view options for my library.

That’s pretty much it.

11. Loque says:

Google has been my bst gaming guide in the last decade or so.

12. JD Ogre says:

“What else do you thing Steam needs? A download manager is high on my list.”

It already has one.

It sucks, though, as everyone knows, thanks to having a mind of it’s own (if two games are downloading and I pause Game X so that Game Y will finish first, it should *NOT* then pause Game Y and resume Game X – happens regularly to me :/), pausing all when I launch a game, and lacking a throttle (Steam download starts and I might as well not bother trying to do anything on the ‘Net while it’s going).

jrodman says:

Yes, I think we all knew that comment was tongue-in-cheek suggesting we wanted one that worked properly.

13. Nim says:

For the record, when Mrs Fletcher comes to visit, hightail it for the hills because someone you know is going to lose it and murder you over the most trivial of disagreements.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Thanks for the warning! (She actually lives near here, apparently.)

14. Saiko Kila says:

As long as there are no videos (unless only in a supplemental role) then it would be fine. I hate “guide” type videos (and other similar things, like interviews etc). They torment people by forcing them to listen to some bad enunciation and poor wording and tons of useless trivia, even if a one second glimpse at a text would be sufficient to get the same information. If someone made a script of these videos, it would be possible to read it in seconds, often.

And why, in the second decade of XXI century, there’s still no CTRL+F for videos?

• El_Emmental says:

Because it would requires proper tagging/commenting each part of each videos*.

And since the people who would do that are already organizing their videos with a table of contents (with the timing for each chapter, and now clickable links on Youtube), that kind of feature wasn’t made.

* A search function in videos would need a clear picture and analyzing (at least) every 5 frames, and so far such feature is barely working for copyright owners on Youtube with Content ID.

15. tkioz says:

I like it. Video guides can be good, but damn, most of them have people umming and ahhing all over the place… learn to edit people, learn to edit, learn to WRITE down what you want to say FIRST, record it, then overlay ontop of the video… you don’t need tons of software, just the Windows Movie Maker is enough.

16. ariaster says:

Going to throw this out here. An Alan Wake guide that just popped up. Interesting…

17. El_Emmental says:

That Red Orchestra 2 guide is highly rated because it has a good tone for beginners/people who hasn’t played it for a long time, but it has its flaws.

1) Like using the “CoD kids” line in one of its title – sure most of your audience will cheer and go “yeah I’m a big guy now, RO2′s hardcore and stuff”, but that’s really wrong on many levels. CoD isn’t a bad game, CoD kids aren’t (all) subhumans, and RO2 is nowhere near a form of “hardcore”.

2) “Lesson #4: Leave Run and Gunning to the CoD Kids” – when any close range combat in RO2 is actually played like this.

RO1 banished any form of run’n'gun, RO2 brought it back in full force. Infamous MG Rambos, fire-while-sprinting unfixed glitch and autofire-after-sprint game mechanic are the most notable examples.

If I recall correctly, John Gibson (Tripwire Interactive CEO, no less) brought it in the RO series because of his view on what should be “Red Orchestra fun” and how it would be a good way to replicate the Stalingrad “floor-by-floor” combats.

I think it’s missing the facts that RO fun was based on overcoming/dealing-with restrictions (for most RO1 players at least), while CQC/melee combats are actually stressful only when the experience is very restricted (= full free-aim not instantly centered when sprinting, slower movements + sprint-to-fire slow transition, scarcity of SMGs, long distance between spawn and currently-defended position, etc)

The reason is simple: it is impossible to recreate the fear of death with a tickets system (and 1-life permadeath, even for a 2-3 minutes round, isn’t accepted by 90% of players – no one play that game mode).

So you need to rely on the fear of failing to master this restricted handling, failing to calculate and balance all the risks, making the right choices/decisions.

When only reflex, luck and melee-range aiming skill is involved, you’re left without any fear, but a stressful fast-paced FPS.

nb: the “Classic” mode (partially removing the run’n'gun) is not played by beginners, is not really recommended for beginners and Tripwire added a strong warning popup when playing the game mode for the first time. It also took 6+ months for this mutator to be made.

3) Commanding classes
    a) These classes are recommended after a day or two (= 2-3 gaming sessions), which is way too soon for any player (myself included, and I clocked more than 100 hours in RO1), because of the not-so-logical game mechanics and odd/flawed/unusual level designs.

On some maps you’ll need to play in a certain way, on another map you’ll need to do the opposite, and you’ll often don’t understand why such game mechanism doesn’t work.

b) Squad Leaders are basically introduced as a movable spawn (similar to the Battlefield squad spawn – which is not actually the case), while not much is said about the smoke grenades (beside “use them !”), which is, in the hand of a 2/3-days player, an excellent way to make his first attempts very unsuccessful (and possibly be despised by a few teammates).
    In short: smoke the enemy position, not yours => this is NOT a volumetric smoke (so being inside the smoke means being extremely-visible silhouettes) + if you need to go through the smoke at any time, you’ll be killed very easily when you exit the smoke cloud. So smoke the enemy position/as far as you can.
    * Only exception: when the mapper failed to prevent spawn camp, you have to “waste” your smoke grenades to protect your spawn.

c) The Commander class is introduced as the guy staying at the back radioing some support from time to time. That’s half of the job of a Commander (at best).

* First, half the maps will require the Commander to lead the spearhead (at least for the first half of the map) because of his 2 (!!) smoke grenades.

* Second, almost all maps will require the Commander to get out and get the coordinates himself because it’s very hard to get Squad Leaders to get *the* coordinates you need.

* Third, not giving a single information about the 3 types of artillery support is calling for a disaster (nb: a little bit more informations are provided in the 2nd guide, but aren’t accurate nor complete)
    => In case someone would ask:
    - on the left are Mortars: very intense shelling on a small location, for a very limited period of time ; very rarely used (unless it’s the only thing available), only useful when teammates are nearby and enemy are crowding a small area.
    - on the middle are Artillery shells: slow but steady shelling on an average-sized location, for a long period of time (6 volleys) ; mostly used by Commanders, as infantry is too slow to cross the shelled area (you can escape the area if you survive the first volley though).
    - on the right are the Rockets (MLR), Katyusha for the Red Army, Nebelwerfer for the Wehrmacht, it’s a one-volley very wide area shelling (a long quite-large band of explosions, perpendicular to the line between the coordinates and the SL/Comm who put them: —-|| so do NOT take the coordinates from the sides if you don’t compensate), only used to clear a wide non-building position once and launch a coordinated assault on the position.
    Very rarely used, mostly on Mamayev Kurgan (fits perfectly that purpose when not fighting over the main bunker). Some maps set an insane timer cooldown (before any new arty support) to it, so really avoid it (unless you really know what you’re doing).

- Recon airplane:
    * You have to stay near the radio for the recon airplane to report enemies’ positions (if you move away, the plane will abort the mission).
    * The guide recommend to use the Tactical View (T), while the only way to see (many servers disable the Tactical View spotting) or simply properly exploit these informations is to use the Overview Map.
    * You should call the Recon airplane first, then call the arty (once you see the enemy positions).
    * You can call the Recon/Arty BEFORE the first radio request (Recon/Arty) is finished. Very useful when you’re deep in the enemy line using their radio (and about to die very soon/lose due to running out of time)
    * Warn your teammates the recon airplane is in the air.
    * Disabled tanks (= props put by the mapper) are showed as live tank by the recon airplane (it can’t tell from the clouds).

nb 2: you can cancel an artillery support at ANY time, without having to be near a radio. Pull out the map and click on the corresponding button. It is vital, because 3 TKs = current map autoban.

nb 3: default setting for Team Kill autokick (session, reset on map change) is 3 kills. The ONLY way to forgive a TK is typing the two letters “np” in the global chat (a console message should say “You have forgiven *insert-nickname*”.
    PLEASE do not forget to do that, especially when you ran into your Commander’s artillery (despite being warned, told and having a big red flashing icon on the map), many battles were lost because good Commanders (with mics) were lost.

So, “np” it up – everybody makes mistakes.

4) “Snipers”
    “And if you do decide to go it alone, there’s always the marksman class to keep you happy, in which case focus your attention on the other team’s sniper, Enemy at the Gates style!”
    Like in all manshooters, people think that the guy with a rifle-with-a-scope is a “sniper”, thus acting alone. This is where the game says “Marksman” for a good reason: it has to work closely with its squad, unlike sniper units (who work in small sniper squads, away from other types of units).

Chasing the enemy Marksman (“Enemy at the Gates” style :s) is the last thing you should be thinking about: you’ll very probably be killed by a standard Riflemen before you could see the other Marksman once.

=> Only very experienced players, or tanks, will spot and kill enemy Marksmen (they’ll grab a Rifleman’s rifle if needed or use a semi-auto rifle – or simply sneak they way into their lines with a SMG and backstab that Marksman).

In RO2, being a Marksman means following your troops and providing cover for long areas without cover, keeping a building clear, taking out MGs.

It is crucial that a beginner Marksman die regularly near other friendly troops: they will provide close-range cover, will take the first bullets, will reveal enemies positions, teach the beginner some moves and will be able to compensate the beginners’ errors by grabbing his rifle.

A beginner picking the Marksman and dying 5 times in the whole map (and making ~10 kills) is the one of the worst thing that could happen to a team (worst being griefers, AFKs and Commanders not using arty+smokes).

That guide is a genuine, interesting and positive introduction to the game (a few things would still need to be updated though), but for the more demanding classes, it’s not really the adequate way to introduce them.

ps: of course I’ll try to make my own guide :P It’s easy to criticize and much harder to create.

• MrUnimport says:

It always struck me as a little bit detached from realism when point-blank gunfights are the hardest of all to aim in, two guys awkwardly puppeteering their arms about and missing wildly when they could, you know, just point their guns at each other.

Not too sure what you mean about Marksman either, the regular maps aren’t big enough for the roles you mentioned (i.e. squad designated marksman) to require a scoped rifle. The regular bolt-action works perfectly fine for that sort of thing, and everyone’s got one.

• El_Emmental says:

Regarding the point-blank gunfights, I think there’s several points to take into consideration.

* First, aiming is hard. If you’ve ever been to a shooting range, your first shots were quite bad – and you were standing still, without any danger, in good physical condition, after a decent night of sleep and well-fed.

* Second, the vast majority of point-blank gunfights happen between non-automatic rifles (bolt action or semi-auto) or at least involving a non-automatic rifle. Their lenght, weight (weight itself, how it’s spread and how the soldier carry it in a firing position) and design aren’t appropriate for aiming left and right, rapidly and easily.

Meanwhile, automatic rifles/SMGs are shorter, the weight is carried differently, allowing the soldier to have a much better close-range handling.
        Handguns are even shorter, lighter, and should only be used at very close-range, and are the only weapon that could use some balancing (= faster movement speed when not in iron-sight, heavily reduced free-aim – and in a perfect game, revamped blind-fire mode allowing the pistols to be much more controlled).

* Third, as I mentionned in my previous comment, it is impossible to recreate the fear and stress of death felt in CQCs. The only way to make CQC stressful, to generate adrenalin secretions, is to present a sudden, difficult challenge to the players, vastly different from the other challenges (s)he was previously facing. That’s why point-blank gunfights shouldn’t be an easy task, at least not for non-veteran players.

* Fourth, the only way to get the players to “just point their guns at each others” would be using auto-aim. Beside the “MOOH CONSOLES” cries, it’s taking away the controls from the player’s hands and will very likely result in very erratic results: “I could have aimed much better than that”, “why the auto-aim didn’t trigger there ?”, “I wanted to shoot that guy on the left first ! not the guy turning his back to me”.

* Fifth, actual point-blank gunfights are situations where aiming is much more harder than at longer ranges, because of the amplitude of movements and the very wide angle of potential targets, preventing standard aiming procedure to take place. That’s why only heavily-trained and heavily-armored units (like the world-famous SWAT) are sent in such situations, have specific tactics and weaponry.
        It’s also why shotguns, with a wide-spread, are a weapon of choice for close-range encounters (unless you’re a cop, trying to avoid collateral casualties).

* Finally, point-blank gunfights (in RO2) between veterans are never two guys awkwardly missing wildly, the hit % is closer to 70% (up to 85% for the best ones). They can’t afford wasting a single bullet.

Example:

Yesterday I played a few rounds on a Classic server (which is harder/clumsier than the normal “Realism” mode, for very good reasons) on the custom port of a RO1′s map called “Odessa”.

Playing in the Red Army, we were capturing the first capzone (Appartments), but at 80% of the capture 4 to 5 Axis stepped into the capzone. 2 immediately appeared at the other side of the building, sprinting left and right toward us.

Completely surprised by their attack (I had a SVT40 I just looted from a dead soldier, they had automatic rifles), I strafed out of the building on the left while reflex-shooting at them.

I fully “thought” (conscious) the first shot on the first enemy (and shot him, saw him stop running), then I vaguely remember moving my aim on the upper left while shooting, right before being out of sight (as I was constantly strafing left and went out of iron-sight mode).

Thinking I hadn’t hit anywhere near the second enemy, I sprinted on the left (outside) to use an entrance further ahead, to attack the enemy in a pincer movement while my teammates were holding them off.

I expected the enemy to predict that and show up at the door, so I stayed close to the wall on my right (to force him to fully expose his body at the door – hoping a teammate behind me would scare the enemy away – even if a veteran would have got out, shot me and got back inside before my teammate can take aim and shoot).

Got at the entrance, iron-sight on, got inside, only to find the enemy laying on the ground right where I last saw him, as the delayed kill messages appeared for the two enemies (= I shot both).

nb: the delayed kill messages makes the game MUCH better, you go from a “shoot the enemy” mentality to a “take control of the threat” one, you no longer go the kill, you go for the tactic. It’s really a shame it’s not on the “Realism” mode too.

That’s where my reflex, “pointing my gun at the other”, showed up and did a fantastic job. If you watch these level 99 veterans, you’ll see them doing that all the time (nb: I’m not one of them, at least most of the time :P).

Like in real-life, CQC is deadly, unfair, and requires experience/training and tactics to be handled properly. When you see two guys shooting at walls and the furniture, they’re just not experienced enough in CQC (or just tired/not concentrated on the game).