Yeah, Ratfans: The Continuing Legend Of Grimrock

By Alec Meer on January 21st, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Mum?

Two things:

1) Latter-day Dungeon Masterlike Legend of Grimrock has sold quite well. 600,000 copies or thereabouts, in fact.
2) This is well enough that IT LOOKS LIKE THEY’RE MAKING ANOTHER ONE AND IT HAS PLAYABLE RATMEN IN IT

“We would’ve been happy with just one tenth of the sales numbers,” say devs Almost Human, “so needless to say we’re very happy and the future of our company is secured for a long time.”

I don’t really believe that they’d have been happy with 60,000 copies sold, but never mind, mustn’t quibble. It’s a shame they didn’t hit seven figures, but the main thing is that they are left willing and able to something new. That something appears to be more Grimlock, as the untitled pair of sneak-peek screenshots rather strongly implies:

Is it a sequel or is it an expansion? Obviously it looks very similar to LoG, so perhaps we shouldn’t let our expectations run wild, but I think this is one of those instances where being given, simply, more would be lovely. Though I would very much like to see Almost Human turn their neo-classical design skills to something else: hopefully that will happen too.

Meantime, rat in a suit of armour:

A heroic Skaven, mayhap. I am down with that. Then there’s whatever the hell these guys are, too:

HMMM.

, .

1. DK says:

Ah yeah, looks like dedicated back-row weapons. Lances!

Hopefully the sequel takes a page out of DM2 and implements an open world environment and haggling with gibberish speaking shopkeepers.

• yogibbear says:

Hopefully they don’t learn to become too human… I prefer them having some mortal flaws.

• wu wei says:

Has RPS just thrown in the towel with dealing with the spam bots? I regularly have non-linked posts with new content discarded as spam, while cut-and-paste comments with obvious link-bait (and often the same links) keep getting through…

jrodman says:

It’s a thankless and endless war. :-(

Still, I do wonder what the current status is.

• Serpok says:

Lancer is in front row, on picture №4.

That stick in back row looks more like blowdart.

• DK says:

I mean the smallish metal-tipped stick that both the backrow human and the backrow ratman carry. That’s what I think looks like a lance.

• terkanmeisa says:

3-IN-1 Dock Station Charger for iPhone5/iPod 5th, Nano, iPad (White)! 12.9 U.S. dollars! To be surprised! Is the price! This is the best! http://ujeb.se/FhjuV

• bfandreas says:

If they follow EotB 2 then the next big thing will be an “Attack All” button for their time-sucking vampire game. It lived so much up to the hype.
      If you don’t have played it yet you might want to seek therapy because there is something seriously wrong with you.

Funnily tho I say that they really should consider publishing on Android/iOS tablets, too.

2. ScubaMonster says:

Game is cool, but I would have liked turn based combat better. That’s just me though.

• Hoaxfish says:

I’m not sure turn-based is entirely the answer, but the square-dancing does get a bit monotonous after a while.

jrodman says:

The squaredancing was both too required and too fastpaced. I was tired of it with the very first spider in the entire game. So much that I went and played Dungeon Master from start to finish to recuperate. Which was not at all tiresome.

• Yosharian says:

There is a mod/script which allows you to map each character’s attack button to a specific key. Made the game a lot more interesting to play in this respect.

jrodman says:

Hm, I’m a bit interested, though mostly i want the mod that just slows the game down.

• yogibbear says:

I personally LOVE the square dancing combat. It is REFRESHING compared to all the other RPGs I play of late. Turn-based doesn’t make an awesome RPG by default. Yes there are some very well done turn based RPGs, but this doesn’t mean it is a necessary component.

slerbal says:

I completely agree with you. I loved the combat in LoG it was both nostalgic and also surprisingly contemporary. I hope they don’t change it at all :)

• Machinations says:

The only reasom I did not buy this is because of the lack of turn based combat.

Real time with this system is more than silly, its stupid. Too bad too, because I love these style of games, going back a long time as many others can identify with.

I have no idea why they decided to go real-time – it adds little, and this it not Stonekeep – you control a party, not an individual, making real time seem – ridiculous.

xao says:

Not liking something doesn’t make it stupid. While it might not be appropriate for all titles, real-time combat worked quite well for half a million of us in Grimrock. The combat wasn’t deep enough for a turn-based system: substituting decision speed for decision depth was a way to keep the combat both engaging and difficult enough to keep the player’s attention. Real-time combat also meshed well with Grimrock’s other systems, all of which were time-based.

If you just don’t like real time combat, that’s fine, but don’t blame the designers for not adhering to your particular tastes: just buy a turn-based game instead of a real-time game.

• b1778297 says:

Played the game for the first time this weekend. I got cornered by a giant snail without a weapon and any idea on how to attack.

Jackablade says:

Grr. Damn ticksy bot.

3. BobbyDylan says:

I own this, but have yet to play it….

Cummon weekend!

4. TomxJ says:

I hated the way combat felt like a ‘cat and mouse’ chase in the original LoG. Hopefully they’ll fix this in a the squekuel.

• Songbird says:

Squeak-quel? ‘Cos rats.

• Eddy9000 says:

This is a pun thread, please abide by the rules laid out in the RPS comments terms and conditions.

Stellar Duck says:

Do you need to ratify those terms somewhere? Or is it enough to just mouse over them and close the window?

• brulleks says:

As long as commenters are shrewd enough to use their own judgement, I think they can be trusted to post under their own vole-ition.

• Safewood says:

I moled through the rules and I have to say they look rather cheesy, personally I am rat-tled.

• Eddy9000 says:

I can tell murinae mood to speculate, but they haven’t skaven us much to go on so far.

RedViv says:

Yes yes poke poke with stick.

BathroomCitizen says:

Can we have a Legend of Grimrock expansion with Space Hulk setting, please?

7. Ergates_Antius says:

I enjoyed LoG well enough, but I don’t think I’d want to play it again (either the original or a sequal). I’ve kind of had my fill of it. Don’t know why.

• Stromko says:

I lost patience with puzzles pretty early on, I definitely want to get back into it at some point but I can definitely relate to feeling a bit fatigued by it all.

8. Songbird says:

Whether it’s a whole sequel or some new content, bring it on! My first RPS comment is on an article about Legend of Grimrock and rats, two things I am a fan of.

9. NathanH says:

600,000 copies is an excellent achievement, particularly given that the game is not exactly cheap (it isn’t expensive, but it is rather more expensive than things like Terraria). This must have made them a lot of money. Well deserved.

• Baines says:

It was in a Humble Bundle, though. Beat the Average (along with Dungeon Defenders and ALL the Dungeon Defenders DLC), but still…

That’s why I own a copy, though I don’t know that I will ever even install it.

• PostieDoc says:

Heretic!

• Baines says:

I used to like the kind of game that it looks like Grimrock is trying to be. But that was back in the early 90s, and my own tastes have changed a bit. Not to mention, it was a step forward then. Now, it is a nostalgic step back. (I’m not saying such nostalgia is a bad thing. In this case, it just isn’t my thing.)

These days, I mostly want real time with a single player, and mostly want party stuff to be turn based. And I’m not so fond of a controlling a party anymore regardless. (There are exceptions, but Grimrock doesn’t look like it would be one.)

10. Michael Fogg says:

More spells? Trading? Ability to craft items?

11. Meat Circus says:

HOW THE FUCK DO I OPEN THIS IRON DOORFACE.

sonofsanta says:

Did I just hear the sound of KG exploding with happiness, or am I imagining things?

golem09 says:

Legend of Grimrock

Bought it on release day.

Never played it.

14. suibhne says:

Fantastic news. Like some others said, LoG isn’t a game I want to replay over and over, but I found it one of the most enjoyable titles of the past year.

Morlock says:

Fantastic news. I would love to see what they can do with more money.

16. MOKKA says:

I think I should read the Tutorial before my next attempt.

Jackablade says:

Reminds me of the first time I played Eye of the Beholder when I was a wee’n.

I couldn’t work out how to attack, but discovered the throw item function. Thus I spent my entire time with the game pelting enemies with whatever I happened to have in my inventory. I once felled a goblin with a sandwich.

17. Meat Circus says:

FWIW, if Grimrock inserts itself into The BIMBY BUMBY BUNDLE or something it’ll make seven figures.

RaveTurned says:

Grimrock was in Humble Indie Bundle 7 for people who donated over the average. Total sales for the bundle were just under 400,000, although I don’t think we know how many of those gave enough to unlock Grimrock. I wonder if it’s sales from that are included in the figures reported above?

18. rocketman71 says:

Take my money!!!. Now!!!

19. Uglycat says:

TVAM was the best thing that ever happened in the 80′s.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I see you wear the armour of The House Of “British and Over 30″
      **salutes**

Lo, it doth bear the emblems of Zephyr, Global Hypercolour and Fruit Of The Loom. I bring thee gifts of Bermuda Shorts, Duncan Fire Wheel Yo-yo’s and those funny string things you put on your wrist.

• Uglycat says:

I had the hots for Anne Diamond :>

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Leave this place. Go to the tower of repentance, with the elves of self-touching and the witches of the scrotal rot.

Thou art unclean

20. Crosmando says:

THEY SAID IT COULDN’T BE DONE!

Let modders seem to have found a way to create outdoor environments into Grimrock’s engine:

Link for eye candy

• Mario Figueiredo says:

I’m trying to catch my breath. Wait…

Awesome!!

• MellowKrogoth says:

Aha! Awesome. And I was glad to read in those comments that I’m not the only one waiting for a Lands of Lore-like game.

Modders are great pioneers sometimes, I’m sure this will inspire the devs.

21. Turkey says:

This game would be pure gaming crack for me if the dungeons were randomly generated.

• MellowKrogoth says:

A roguelike version would hold my interest as well, but you’d need loads more content for the engine to juggle with to keep the experience fresh every time… I’ve been spoiled by Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup and friends.

• Machinations says:

Roguelike with this engine would be AMAZING

but I doubt we will see this, or turn-based combat, sadly

• siggboy says:

Yes, in order to make it as interesting as DCSS one would have to spend gazillions on artwork and sound effects.

The depth of games such as Nethack and Crawl is only possible because there is only pixel art (at most) and no sound.

• bfandreas says:

Would be great. I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody weren’t actually engaged with something like that.

Ever since the LoG editor was release a couple of moons ago the Internet Machine has been churning out levels at a frightful rate.

Internet People are awesome! All hail the Internet People!

22. MellowKrogoth says:

Still waiting for a game that rivals Lands of Lore 1 in terms of art+music+speech+story quality and in terms of variety of environments and enemies. Hint hint, Almost Human.

23. SuperNashwanPower says:

I would like to enter the I Am Old And Spotted Alec’s Nostalgic Cultural Concealed Reference Competition

I have sent it on a Stamped Addressed Envelope to:

RPS I Am Old And Spotted Alec’s Nostalgic Cultural Concealed Reference Competition
    PO BOX 33
    Television Centre
    Wood Lane
    London W12 7RJ

And look forward to seeing if I have won next week (I won’t have won I never win oh but Sarah Green is a beautiful temptress its all ok nowwwwww)

And also posted it here via interweb-o-tron:

24. slive cinclair says:

Can’t wait for another Grimrock installment..my favourite game of last year.

25. Stevostin says:

“I don’t really believe that they’d have been happy with 60,000 copies sold, ”

I think they would. It’s a very little team for a very light prod. The polish in the UI makes it look neat but you’ve got something like 10 enemies, each with 2-3 anim max, a few simple settings and that’s it. If they make $600 000 of it I am pretty sure it make a nice profit. They must be more around 5 – 6 millions. They probably could all retire.

26. JackDandy says:

I was really glad to read this.

I’ve been following the devs since early on in development (thanks to RPS article, heheh!), and it was loads of fun to see it developing, being released, and achieving success.

27. ResonanceCascade says:

I liked the first game, but I’ll be damned if I ever actually finish it. I felt like I’d seen all there was to see after 6 hours, and that’s being generous.

28. megalosaurus says:

I can’t wait for more Grimrock. Did I know I needed Egyptian themed levels before today? No; but I now could not existing without them.

Seriously, why did BBC News 24 waste so much time today covering Obama’s inauguration; they could have been covering the latest Legend of Grimrock news!

And that Obama, he doesn’t know what he is talking about. What did he say, “I believe we are all created equal” or some nonsense? Bah; believe what you want Obama, but we are not all created equal. Minotaurs have high strength and hitpoints making them natural warriors. The Lizardman’s dexterity making them natures thieves (oh stow that “negative reinforcement” talk, you cannot leave your family silver around a lizardman and you know it!)…

29. theleif says:

Yessssss!

Jackablade says:

I must admit I could never get the hang of Grimrock. The tile based first person movement kinda broke my brain and coupled with the endless identical stone walls, lack of much in the way of landmarks and my exceedingly poor sense of direction, I got tired of wandering in circles pretty quickly.

31. siggboy says:

Grimrock needs to step up a lot in order to hold a candle to The Original (Dungeon Master). The game was good, and it was a brilliant move by the devs to fill an obvious (in retrospect) market niche. However, if you’ve played DM you will know the difference between merely a “good game” and a work of genius.

If somebody made DM’s monsters as 3D models, one could probably reproduce it quite faithfully with the Grimrock engine, now that the UI is moddable.