Defiance Is A Telly Program Too

By Alec Meer on January 22nd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Would you like to know more?

MULTIMEDIA CROSSOVER ALERT. It’s like Skylanders this, but with more alien death and bionic irises. Trion’s Defiance is currently best-known as a sci-fi MMO, but it’s also going to be a TV show on the atrociously named Syfy channel. I believe this is a glimpse at what that will look like: a Starship Troopersy affair (visually – I doubt the satire will be in there, somehow) deliberately made to look very similar to the game.

So yeah. Compare and contrast with in-game explodeybangs:

Similar, but more colourful (i.e. not grey-blue throughout) and with that distinctively MMO character animation where everyone looks like a speeded-up marionette with cut strings.

The whole Defiance circus kicks off later this year, but beta things are already happening.

, , .

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

What will happen when TV’s oversaturated orange/teal meets gaming’s brown?

• SAeN says:

We’ll get Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

• Grey Ganado says:

Orange, teal and brown? Mass Effect of course.

• kkkwwwkkk says:

Please drink tea(place order from http://www.heyheytea.com ) when you play game or watch the computer.The Tea can helpful your health.Dont trust?let’s try it.Just come on.

• TomEllinson says:

Does anyone else think this bot is hilarious?

DRINK TEA WHEN YOU WATCH THE COMPUTER!

Don’t trust? Come on, just try it.

• ucfalumknight says:

Oh thank you Bot gods! “The Tea can helpful your health.” I snorted with that statement.

2. Bhazor says:

Isn’t TV dead yet?

I honestly haven’t watched tv in about three years.

3. TormDK says:

I played the beta this weekend shortly. Could be a decent enough co-op game if enough content is provided fast enough compared with the TV show.

The World and background setting seems interesting enough at least.

4. Chalk says:

“Defiance Is A Telly Program Too”

Don’t you mean ‘Programme’?

5. Syphus says:

I’d rather watch Defiance, the movie.

6. Felixader says:

Hm. Is it wrong that after repeatedly mocking focus group tests that i am really am wondering how much of an overlap there is between MMO Players and people that watch TV?

EDIT: That said i have to applaud them for the experiment.

7. Hezzy says:

I played the beta test last weekend, it’s shaping up to be a really fun game. Can see myself spending a lot of time on it, and I don’t usually do that with a lot of MMOs.

• DK says:

I’ve played the Beta and it’s atrocious. It’s Tabula Rasa but done wrong. Instead of a fun RPG/TPS hybrid, it’s a cookie cutter TPS with a thin coating of RPG. The interface is atrocious (it doesn’t have KEY REBINDING except for gamepads and the rest is similarily bad).

And the dialogue. Jesus Christ the Dialogue. Every sentence a badly acted cliché. It’s like they watched Avatar and thought “that’s what our characters should be like!”.

8. The Random One says:

I defiantly have no interest in this.

(get it)

9. tnzk says:

Did they really have to dumb down the mis-en-scene to make it look like the game? What’s next? Dialogue as trashy as a video game script?

Actually, I don’t want to know.

10. varangian says:

The Syfy channel is not only atrociously named as you said but also misleadingly named if you take it to mean they show much stuff in the science fiction ballpark. Last I read about them was that they’d cancelled ‘Alphas’, one of the few bits of original programming they did that might divert someone with a functional brain. I suspect the all action trailer is just the lead in to a talent show where various monsters show off their moves to a panel of celebrity judges in order to get to the grand finale wrestling match with the bachelorette voted for by the audience in the phone-in section of the show.

11. Dave L. says:

That live action trailer seems to be focused on the game tie-in plotline. Or it’s just a live-action trailer for the game.

The actual show looks quite a bit more interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XKZU459DI

And Rockne S. O’Bannon (creator of Farscape) is the show creator, so it gets a season from me.

• Grayvern says:

As much as I love Farscape, and I have the box set, the alien race being called Votans and the wiki description of the show don’t bode well.