If You Build It: Space Nomads

By Jim Rossignol on January 22nd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Space Nomads is a fine name for a game. I’m not sure it’s a fine name for this game, however, which is about building bases in a procedurally-generated desert. If you’re building a game called Space Nomads, it should probably have lonesome, wandering spaceships in the void, perhaps pursued by malignant robots or something. Anyway, Space Nomads itself looks hugely promising, as it’s a co-op sort-of tower defence with hefty and diverse building options. There’s a longer game to it, however, which involves surviving until you can “ultimately search for a way to escape the planet”.

Intriguing but ultimately action-free “pre-alpha” footage below.

We’re going to be keeping an eye on this one.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. vaendryl says:

seems interesting, but maybe a bit too similar to star forge.

• kkkwwwkkk says:

Please drink tea(place order from http://www.heyheytea.com ) when you play game or watch the computer.The Tea can helpful your health.Dont trust?let’s try it.Just come on.

Tom De Roeck says:

Cellshading, ho! (its 8bits lesser loved brother)

• frightlever says:

Cel shading in games started with XIII or Jet Set Radio, can’t remember which but long after 8bit graphics.

• SanguineAngel says:

I suspect because, like 8-bit style graphics, cell shading is a bit hip and trendy

• Hoaxfish says:

Startopia also had a rudimentary cel-shading patch (it literally drew the same thing twice in black to create a black edging).

• Eclipse says:

I think you are talking about flat shading, cel shading (single L) is another stuff, and this game is not cel shaded nor flat shaded, it just lack textures

3. frightlever says:

It’s “bear in mind” not “bare in mind”, think Boo Boo, not boobies.

4. Spengbab says:

Fuck yes. Exploration, building a base, placing automated turrets for defence. Cue the endless stream of monsters and the dev will be hard-pressed to muck this up. Definately interested in this.

Tunips says:

I’d like to play the other Space Nomads – the one Jim and I thought of when we heard the name. For that matter, Earth Nomads would be good too. Guiding tribes and herds across the vastness, encountering other groups of uncertain intent, fending off elements and animals and privation.

Wait, that’s pretty much The Banner Saga.
    Never mind then. Sorted.

6. Commissar Choy says:

I am excited for this. The art style is pleasing.

7. The Random One says:

I’m on my cell so I can’t watch the video, but I have to agree the name has nothing to do with the gameplay. You’re on a planet so you’re not on Space, and you build bases so you’re not Nomads. Might as well call it Bubblegum Wizards.

• LionsPhil says:

Bubblegum Wizards sounds most radical.

Summon Dire Skateboard! Bigby’s High Five!

• Lemming says:

Can anything be on space?

Planets are in space, though right? And you travel through space to get to planets, right? Space Nomads is fine.

• Donjo says:

If they’re not in space then WHERE ARE THEY?!?!?!?! A dimension without space perhaps. Difficult to even imagine. Also, nomads build the best bases. Although these peripatetic space men are technologically advanced they do seem nomadic. Bubblegum wizards sounds cool though, I think you should make that to show us how it’s done.

8. guygodbois00 says:

Yes, but if you build it will they come?

9. geldonyetich says:

I like those cell-shaded graphics.

I also like putting down defensive turrets. Heck, who wouldn’t want to decorate their yard with some of those? TAKE THAT, SQUIRRELS.

So, yeah, I’ll be keeping an eye out for this game, too.

10. TechnicalBen says:

Gah! When I first saw the graphics. I was like “cool a game not based on blocks that has construction”… nope, blocks half way through the video. Let me say it simply people, “Think outside the box”.

• jrod says:

i disagree… this appears to be a considerable improvement over minecraft style block buildings. Look at the way stuff dynamically shapes itself based on adjacent blocks.

• LionsPhil says:

Blocks are a really easy way to arrange things. In this it ssssort of looks like it’s just snap-to-grid, rather than Minecraft’s “everything is a cube”.

11. Greggh says:

What happens if you build it??!?! WHAT HAPPENS!?!?!?!

12. LionsPhil says:

Jesus christ dude, stop wiggling the mouse around gesticulating all over the place like that in a first-person view while recording a video. I feel nauseous. D: