Voulez-Vous Un Remake De Flashback?

By Alec Meer on January 22nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Flashback est un jeu vidéo de 1992 par Delphine, et est le best-seller de fabrication française de jeu de tous les temps. Beaucoup ont demandé à plusieurs reprises une nouvelle version de celui-ci, après le troisième match a été annulé.

Je me souviens que la recherche Flashback magnifique mais étant légèrement irritant pour jouer, donc je ne suis probablement pas la bonne personne pour écrire cet article. Cependant, il semble un remake qui se passe, selon Gameblog.fr , qui a une image présumée d’un “HD” version de ce jeu d’action populaire.

Le jeu semble être appelé ‘Flashback Origins’, et est faite par Vectorcell, le siège actuel de Flashback créateur Paul Cuisset. Vectorcell paraît avoir soulevé € 300.000 pour aider à financer cette nouvelle Flashback. Rien de plus n’est connu à ce jour.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. f1x says:

J’ai de bons souvenirs de jeu flashback

2. Arkhonist says:

Google translate failed French.
    A french viewer.

• Naurgul says:

The funniest thing is that English-French is supposed to be an easy language pair that current machine translation methods can deal with.

• Zanchito says:

I don’t speak french, but I actually understood most of that. I must be “googlified”.

• mouton says:

Nah, it just has lots of keywords and french-english analogues. This allows anyone reasonably literate to understand it.

• c-Row says:

Finally my four years of french classes at school pay off!

Zum nächsten Landwirtschaftssimulator erwarte ich natürlich einen deutschen Artikel. ;-)

• Ruffian says:

This is a good point. I took three years of french in highschool, of which I paid attention maybe 25% of the time, and was able to make out most of it. Once you know a few basic things, (sentence structure, a few nouns and conjunctions) it’s generally easy enough to infer the rest through the similarities that most romantic languages share.

• Jorum says:

If you run the article through google-translate several different languages and back into english it is completely understandable which is interesting.

• Saint_loup says:

Come on, it was rather OK.

(a french reader.)

• Teovald says:

Yep, but far from perfect yet. I have good hope that machine translation will soon be a lot better, but it is not here yet.
        As a french reader; the first lines of this article were a big WTF. I thought for a second that a french version of RPS had just launched.

• Brun says:

Weird. As an English-speaker with 0 background in French I found the first sentence entirely understandable (I took 5 years of Latin in high school and romance languages tend to be similar, but still).

• Teovald says:

Oh, the whole thing is understandable. But there are many minor errors.
            The trouble is that you cannot do a 1:1 translation, so there is this huge big data problem where you have to segment the sentences into translation blocks.
            The good news is that with this kind of problem your solution gets better mechanically (bad result are rejected, then it is ‘just’ statistics).

• Dreamhacker says:

I took Latin and French and can conclude that French is basically a complete ripoff of latin, but with worse spelling. The two are extremely similar.

• Brun says:

My Latin teachers often said that French, Spanish, and Italian are simply vulgarized and localized dialects of Latin.

• Luaan says:

Well, that’s kind of how languages work, isn’t it? Romance languages are actually called “languages of Rome” in czech, german… (I’m pretty sure that’s what “romance languages” means too, nothing to do with *that* romance). What’s now germanic languages used to be dialects of some pre-german language, ditto with slavic languages and ugro-finnic languages…

• Ruffian says:

Indeed it is, American English vs Regular (?) English, is a great example of the process in action.

• stiffkittin says:

I thought it started excellently, even if the first sentence tripped over itself at the end. Some words are a little out of context but the grammar and syntax is pretty close to spot on. Although “et est” is a bit cringe-worthy. I’m increasingly impressed by google translate as time goes by.

Although there is a “way” to write things so that the machine doesn’t get confused, which you learn pretty quickly when you respond to international emails on a regular basis.

• Kaira- says:

I still hope that one day there’ll be a decent anything-to-Finnish-machine translation. Though that’ll probably arrive about the same time as we reach singularity and establish a colony on Alpha Centauri.

• Teovald says:

I think we will get an universal translator (and with speech recognition that actually work, no less) way before that (supposing we don’t get extinct before colonizing another planet).
            There are still a lot of obstacles to overcome before this but in less than ten years we could already have an acceptable french-english translator.

• Cuddlefish says:

I honestly don’t see real, universal and accurate machine translation happening without borderline person-hood worthy AI. The amount of complexity and nuance you would need to be able to detect and adapt to create a translation (That is to say, to actually communicate the ideas rather than slavishly moving one word or sentence at a time to produce stilted, possibly utterly misleading results) of arbitrarily selected texts, for example, into arbitrarily selected languages is STAGGERING.

• Teovald says:

I sure hope you are wrong, because real AI are very far off.
            We are not even sure it is doable.

• yabonn says:

MItou.

• Yargh says:

It was a little painful to read but perfectly understandable. Machine translation still has a way to go before being able to pass as native.

• FriendlyFire says:

My first thought was actually “Wait, did Firefox suddenly get an automated translation option I wasn’t aware of?”

However, I’m actually fairly surprised that it doesn’t come out as a garbled mess. Some sentences are even palatable.

3. jellydonut says:

are you drunk?

4. Ansob says:

This makes a surprising amount of sense for Google translate, even if it’s dire.

Also, that art is all wrong, so no, I don’t want a Flashback remake.

5. Universal Hamster says:

This is all Dutch to me…

6. EPICTHEFAIL says:

Wow. I almost started fiddling with my browser settings before realising that the rest of the site is in English.

7. mrmalodor says:

Oui??? Oh, mon dieu! L’awesome!!!!!

8. povu says:

Merci beaucoup.

• Meldreth says:

Et de ma part aussi. Vraiment, ça fait plaisir de voir des articles en français. Même s’ils sont passés par Google Traduction avant !

9. Dariune says:

Well i dont know french but i LOVED Flashback. It was my favourite game back in the day and if someone is remaking it then that is ok by me :)

• Hoaxfish says:

Visually it looks pretty good too, but I’m not sure this article’s comments section is going to be the most intelligent place to discuss that.

• SheffieldSteel says:

Funny. I was thinking of Flashback just today, during a short rant about how stupidly complicated game control schemes are nowadays.

If I recall, Flashback let you run, jump and climb, and draw, holster, aim and fire a gun, using a D-pad and two other buttons.

That will be the benchmark by which I judge the new game’s design

10. Pray For Death says:

Looks like Nathan Drake from Uncharted

11. gschmidl says:

FACEALAGUERRE

(excusez-moi, s.v.p.)

12. Giuseppe says:

Why is this article in Romulan?

13. Hodge says:

Frankly, it’s a case of francophobia.

14. cronach says:

Je voudrais une croissant.

I remember Flashback being fantastically frustrating. So much so, I had to use cheat codes to advance b/w levels quite often. The animation and the cutscenes were glorious.

15. webwielder says:

For a Flashback-y good time, check out Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken. The most slept on game of 2011/2012 (I can’t tell when it came out).

16. djbriandamage says:

It took me a while to realize Delphine was a French company. I thought that rock’s name was Pierre.

17. faelnor says:

Quelle horreur !

18. Gnoupi says:

Un grand article de Pierre, Papier, Fusil a Pompe.

19. geldonyetich says:

RPS is even fancier than I previously realized!

20. Gnoupi says:

I see that this French cloud reached Alec: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21141351

21. JackDandy says:

I’d love to play the remake!

22. Bluerps says:

Finally, learning french in school came in useful!

• Blad the impaler says:

Edit:I was going to say this as well. Immersion. Where they make you take classes in a foreign language.

I had a Physical Education teacher who was a stickler for it.

With respect to the subject at hand:
      I’ve wanted this for so long. But now that it’s here, I don’t know if it will be right, you know?

23. Emeraude says:

Dubitatif.

En dépit – ou peut être à cause – de l’affection que je porte à ce jeu, je ne vois vraiment pas ce qu’un remake pourrait apporter.

24. Flowh says:

” Il est vrai que j’ai écrit ce post avec l’aide de Google Translate, comme ma maîtrise du français n’est plus ce qu’il était autrefois. Par conséquent, je m’excuse pour toutes les imprécisions.”

No problem, it’s pretty understandable, it’s just REALLY obvious it is written by a non-french person, anyway thanks for doing it, i take it as a compliment .

25. Malibu Stacey says:

Le singe est sur la branche.

26. LionsPhil says:

DO!
    YOU!
    SPEAK!
    ENGLISH?

ENGGG-LISHHH, YES? HO-TEL?

27. Brun says:

Does it come with a Royale with Cheese?

28. hbarsquared says:

Dammit, I’m an American and I don’t have to put up with this bilingual cultural bullshit. Assimilate already!

29. mr.black says:

Shucks, I speak perfectly English and perfectly understand German, but that’s asking a bit much for my little old foreign brain. Luckily I love RPS, so going to Granslate (that should be a word, damnit!) did the trick!

30. Feferuco says:

I have studied French a bit and felt very proud I could understand most of it. At least I think I did.

• Bornemannen says:

Yeah me too. It’s a story about his cat right? And how it got all tangled up in the cord to the headphones and it was hilarious. Too bad we weren’t there. Good times. Good times.

31. TechnicalBen says:

Wow. Looks cool. Loved the original.

32. Jim9137 says:

Voulez voule voulez fool.

33. DaftPunk says:

This is funny,i just started learning french today :D

34. sinister agent says:

If it doesn’t have some of the best and most realistic animation of any game ever, it’s not Flashback.

Seriously, it holds up even today. The reflexive arms going out when you try to run into a wall, the shift in pace from running to walking, the horrible simplicity of the three-screen plummet to instant death. It’s beautiful.

35. derbefrier says:

absolutely loved flashback. a remake is quite okay with me(I assume its a remake since I dont know french.

Which also revives memories of a game called Fade to Black which I believe was a sequel to flashback or something? It was a long time ago cant really remember. Could be I am just making it all up. I do remember it being a fun game though.

• strangeloup says:

There was indeed such a sequel, though it was in that weird early 3D that the PS1 was known for, and it combined being insanely hard with a really weird control scheme.

It was still good, mind, if you had a lot of patience for the frustrating bits (i.e. most of it). I think I’ve got it somewhere and I might go fish it out.

I’d quite like to see a remake of that as well, but fat chance.

36. neolith says:

Awww… I was hoping for the graphics to be the same as in the old days, just in HD. The game being in 3d is kinda disappointing. Bummer. :(

Also: Why the chickens keep developers doing their HUDs with Scaleform? The look is ugly generic and the flash tech is less than stellar.

37. DickSocrates says:

It’s funny because Delphine are/was French.

That’s how humour works.

Haha.

Ha.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Would be funnier with french lolcat

Or a rae-chat, as the french may call it if Google translate is doin it right

• Skhalt says:

I fear Google Translate did fail you, considering I cannot figure out what pun you were trying to make.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Not a pun

rire aux éclats – RAE
          Maybe shit translating though

• Skhalt says:

Oh, okay, I see now :)
            The closest thing we have to “lol” would be “mdr” (mort de rire), but we mostly use “lol” as is.

38. alvysingerUK says:

I thought it was intended to be funny because, for poor children in the ’90s, the only pirate copy available of Flashback was the French Amiga version.

Ended up with an A at GCSE thanks to this game, possibly. “Retrouver papiers” and so on.

/N.B. I do not condone piracy and, were a time machine to be invented, my first priority would be to destroy the playground ‘cracking’ scene of 92-94.

39. pigman says:

I played Flashback on the Amiga, and the prequel Another World – I loved them! Gorgeous graphics. Incredibly smooth animation, especially translations from one into another. Great puzzles.

In a time of abundant choice of great games, it’s one of the few I persisted with to make it all the way to the end.

I’ve just seen that Another World is available on Android so will have to check that out later :-)

40. sonofcaine says:

Too French; didn’t read

41. captain nemo says:

merci, mais non

42. Emeraude says:

Si vous pensez histoire de Stephen `s est étonnante,, il ya 2 semaines ma tante essentiellement a également reçu un chèque de 7002 $ assis là onze heures par semaine dans leur appartement et ils sont beau-tante camarade` voisin s faisait cela pendant cinq mois et reçu un chèque de plus de $ 7002 à temps partiel à partir de leur PC. utilisez les étapes sur ce site web: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/

43. Abendlaender says:

Je ne parlé pas le francais!

44. -Spooky- says:

*FRENCHFACE* Was zum ..

45. Strangerator says:

Is he aiming at a slight upward angle!?!? Blasphemy. Everyone knows you can only shoot horizontally either standing or crouched. Also, I severely doubt anyone will be able to recapture the quiet atmospheric creepiness, but let’s see them try.

46. Scumbag says:

そう、分かった。

47. gaiusimperator says:

Dammit RPS, I don’t know none of those there fancy French Words.

(Still excited about Flashback though, I loved that game back in the day.)

48. Risingson says:

Mais Flashback est un jeu dont la plupart des caractéristiques notables sont la rotoscopie, animation 2D et niveaux dynamiques. Je ne sais pas si cela pourrait être respectée dans un remake …

(Translated from Spanish to French via google translate. Two things surprised me: that there is a specific word for “rotoscoping” and that “3d animation” is translated as “l’animation 3d” but “2d animation” is translated as “animation 2d”).

• Emeraude says:

It’s a matter of usage.

L’animation 3D diffère en bien des points de l’animation 2D. -> 3D animation is in many ways different from 2D animation.

BUT

Animation 3D et animation 2D diffèrent en bien des points. -> 3D animation and 2D animation are in many ways different.

I feel there’s a nuance too, and it’s not just a matter of syntax being modified for phonetic reasons but don’t want to say anything (too) stupid.

Comment on this story