Cannabis, Cannabalt: Drugbound

By Adam Smith on January 24th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

my little running man is not peeing blodo - he just exploded a vulture by running through it with a sword equipped

Drugbound is an attractive game in which a man runs to the right, collecting collectibles along the way and dodging obstacles by jumping over them or sliding under them. A boss eventually appears and its projectiles add an extra hazard. Unlike other endless running games, Drugbound his informed by the author’s “strong political stances on the United States Drug War and the fear-based prohibition of marijuana in this country”. This means, judging by the first level alone, that the collectibles are sometimes in the shape of marijuana leaves. I would play more of the free alpha and that might lead to the discovery of cunning satire but I keep crashing into things so I’m going to stop for now. You can play it right now, in your browser.

Somebody has no doubt already made a game in which the character runs endlessly to the left and I wish I’d been there on launch day to herald it as ‘a brilliant subversion of the popular form that, in turning convention on its head, discovers a mode of unblinkered catharsis that speaks to the generically programmed reptilian zones of the brain in the voice of an imperious professor, encouraging even as he disputes’. Yeah.

, , , .

1. SkittleDiddler says:

“…the fear-based prohibition of marijuana…”. Not in my state bitches. HA!!!!

• Jason Moyer says:

Until the federal government decides to enforce the federal ban on it.

• SkittleDiddler says:

They don’t have the balls to do a massive statewide enforcement, especially now that pot use is becoming more socially acceptable. At worst, the feds are going to bust one or two wayward dealers just as an illusory show of force.

• meirunuma says:

3-IN-1 Dock Station Charger for iPhone5/iPod 5th, Nano, iPad (White)! $ 12.9! Do not be surprised! Is the price! You can find more cheap? This is the best! http://urlik.pl/go.php?sk=21558

• frenchy2k1 says:

Believe me, they could as they DO have the balls.
          Truth is the “ball” is already rolling as there is a case in front of the Supreme Court about the same divide coming from California. The Feds busted a very legal Pot Farm, where only people with verified medical conditions could partake, as defined by Californian Laws. The case has been bouncing up the court system for a while now and should be heard this year.
          Until this resolves, not much else will be done from the government. They busted this legal operation on purpose to get that case going and this question resolved. Of course, both Washington and Colorado State have pushed the boundary further (recreational use instead of purely medical use), but the heart of the case is the same: “is regulation on drugs part of Federal or State government?”.
          We should have an answer before summer…

2. Bhazor says:

Oh good, nothing I like more than hearing the political views of a stoner.

• TCM says:

“Dude, you could make a bong out of politicians.”

• jackass00 says:

Watch out, the fan of My Little Pony has spoken!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Its not a pony. Its the face of a cartoon erotic millipede

• Phantoon says:

“I know you are but what am I!” is not a valid response.

Please try again.

• Nikolaos says:

Would have expected a less judgemental view from a fellow brony.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Why? Most Bronies are subhuman, therefore incapable of proper homosapien social integration. Stoners are just stoned.

• Nikolaos says:

Now why did you have to go and say something like that?

Hate just breeds more hate.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Most Bronies can’t take a bad-taste joke either, apparently.

Anyway, Adventure Time FTW. That’s right, I went there.

• Nikolaos says:

It’s hard to tell when people are being tongue in cheek on the internet. Especially when such things are said in earnest by less pleasant individuals. Sorry for having a bit of a hair trigger in that regard.

Adventure Time is alright. I can see the appeal but it doesn’t click with me. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

• TCM says:

I’m a fan of Adventure time casually, MLP moreso, and MOTHERFRIGGING MECH ANIME most of all.

Man I am screwed up.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Dammit Nikolaos, you’re ruining my good-natured ribbing by being entirely reasonable.

• meaiulowmn says:

Would be nice if they re-enabled the PhysX effects from closed beta though, I was never around back then so I only have videos like these to go by http://youtu.be/lcJlTUgZTT8

• Phantoon says:

I am ashamed to be even slightly related to you by virtue of enjoying the same show.

Adventure Time, I mean.

• Bhazor says:

Oh I’m pro-legalisation, I don’t smoke but I don’t care if anyone else does.

But if you have ever owned or have ever associated with someone who owns weed iconography then I deem you a massive droopy bell end.

• Nikolaos says:

I just deem people with such iconography as having tacky taste and leave it at that.

• Phantoon says:

That’s what he said. Don’t you speak hyperbole? Everyone speaks hyperbole.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Wildly condescending and dehumanising a significant portion of the population? You’re -so- better a person than ‘them’.

• Phasma Felis says:

Dude, seriously, I am on record as being pro-brony but if you’re going to decorate your avatar with adorable ponies, you really need to learn to grow a thicker skin about others’ choice of decor. Love&tolerate, etc.

• Arren says:

Beats the limp snark of a faux wit.

• meatshit says:

Haha, yea. Stupid stoners always going on about how people shouldn’t have their lives ruined over a harmless plant or how prohibition accomplishes nothing except funneling huge amounts of money into the hands of violent criminals.

• Barnaby says:

Oh good, nothing like dismissing a huge subset of the population because they smoke a plant and have opinions. You are a prick, sir.

• Phantoon says:

I generally dismiss the subset of that subset that thinks I need to hear all their opinions and that there’s something wrong with me if I don’t do it every day, much less at all. And that they’re not addicted, despite doing it every single day. Oh, and their conspiracy theories, which are really just for optimists.

Only optimists can believe that someone is competent enough to run all the ridiculously awful or amazing things that happen. We’re competent enough to land a person on the moon. We are NOT competent enough to fake it.

• Electric Head says:

I think you’re confused. What you are describing is idiots who smoke weed.

• crizzyeyes says:

Can someone please explain to me how conspiracy theorism is at all related to smoking marijuana?
          Because I smoke weed roughly weekly and I just don’t get the connection.

• Phasma Felis says:

Paranoia is a possible side effect, apparently.

And to be fair, I can see how you could develop a sense that secrets are being kept when you look at the Drug War. The idea that the government is spending billions of dollars and ruining hundreds of thousands of lives for *absolutely no reason whatsoever*, ostensibly to protect us all from a drug that is clearly and obviously much less dangerous than legal tobacco and alcohol…I can see where “the Illuminati did it” starts to sound plausible.

3. uh20 says:

Jump to get high!

4. SuperNashwanPower says:

Peeing blodo sounds fun

love from Alt-text grammar nazi

5. Bodminzer says:

Weed addicts are the worst, most boring people

xao says:

There’s a difference between being a weed addict and thinking that making marijuana possession a Federal crime is probably a bad idea. There two sets certainly have an overlap, but there are plenty of sober people who think the War On Drugs is asinine.

• Kitsuninc says:

There’s no such thing as a weed addict in the first place, not any more than a game addict, anyways. There’s nothing addictive in weed, other than it making you feel good, which in itself could be a good enough reason for some people to do it often enough you could think they’re addicted.

• theallmightybob says:

As far as I know there is not an addiction (any more then say caffine anyways) but there is habit. just like anything you like to do you will form a habit around it. It just so happens that people really like weed, so if they can afford it they will keep smoking it. very rarely have I ever seen a stoner not pay his bills just to get a toke, not any more then say stupid collage students that dont pay bills to get more beer.

dont be a fool though. weed does have some withdrawel effect associated with it, and it can cause people who want to stop to relaps into the habbit to avoid them. It is still a drug and it should still be respected as such, and much research still needs to be done.

still though I prefer hanging out with stoned people compared to drunk people. drunk people are angery dicks and unpredictable. most stoners just take a temporary IQ hit and say some stupid shit on the couch well I kick their but at a game.

• richm4n says:

The difference between cannabis and caffeine is that caffeine is physically addictive. A heavy caffeine consumer will experience things like headaches if they don’t have their caffeine.

• Phantoon says:

If it makes them feel good, why are so many of them so incredibly irritable? Especially when they’re not high at that moment?

I think a lot of people use drugs as a coping mechanism rather than actually learning, you know, to cope with stuff.

• Electric Head says:

They are? Weird.. most I know are usually too busy not giving a crap.

What about those who don’t use it as a coping/escape mechanism? How about all those non-smokers out there who use [insert vice here] as a coping mechanism rather than learning to cope. Neither of these are exactly news or a profound observation.

I fear you MAY be making sweeping generalisations…

• Kitsuninc says:

If it makes people unhappy when they aren’t high, it’s not because of the drug itself, but because of some other reason.

My parents both do pot a lot, my dad is often grumpy when he isn’t high, but that’s because he gets migraines frequently, and also sometimes gets back pain and some other problems, he doesn’t feel the pain as much while he’s high.

I can’t even tell whether or not my mom is high, most of the time. On the other hand, when she’s drunk, she gets super obnoxious and bitchy (Sorry for the use of that word, I just can’t think of a synonym that gets the job done.), then goes and throws up.

• Phasma Felis says:

Probably because you’re constantly being a sarcastic git and they want you to go away.

Malibu Stacey says:

There’s nothing addictive in weed, other than it making you feel good

Contradicting yourself in the same sentence. I’m impressed.

If it’s making you “feel good” then it’s affecting your brain chemistry. Anything which affects your brain chemistry can be addictive. This why fat people & gambling exist.

• Kitsuninc says:

I didn’t make that distinction because it’s fucking obvious, and implied by the sentence: Notice “Other than”. If you’re going to say that being happy is addictive you’re an idiot. Or at least one of those anal people everyone hates that feels the need to correct every little thing someone says.

I did pot once, just once. I haven’t done it since because I just don’t feel I need it while I’m in my prime.

Gambling is different because…well it’s complicated and it would take a long time to explain. It has to do with thinking things work differently than they do, and casinos are deliberately designed to create gambling addicts.

As for being fat, well my grandmother has an eating problem. She works really really hard to eat healthy, so she isn’t fat, but from the sound of it, it’s really difficult to deal with. I can’t imagine it, but that’s something she was born with and/or learned growing up. It’s not related, anyways, your average person doesn’t get fat because they’re addicted to the yummy feeling of food. Why did I even bother typing that, it isn’t related in the first place.

Malibu Stacey says:

If you’re going to conflate “feeling good” with “being happy” thanks for the strawman but you can keep it to yourself.

Also if you’re going to refer to people who reply to your posts as “one of those anal people everyone hates that feels the need to correct every little thing someone says” I think I speak for everyone when I say get the fuck off the internet before you give yourself any more psychoses.

In the real world gambling isn’t restricted just to casinos. Hell in the UK from my own experience casinos are the least likely place for people to gamble on a regular basis. Yet we have plenty of people addicted to gambling. Funny that.

This just in, the world extends beyond the borders of the good ol’ US of A. Who’d a thunk it?

• Kitsuninc says:

Honestly? ‘Feeling good’ isn’t the same as ‘being happy’? Okay, I’ll admit they aren’t identical, but if you feel good, that means your body is releasing the endorphins that make you happy. That can be ‘addictive’ but not more than other things that make you happy…I jumped the gun.

I don’t even live in the US, though I’ve been there. I used the example of casinos because they are actually designed to create gambling addicts. Someone can get addicted to gambling on their own, for the same reasons, but you’re way less likely to get addicted to poker than slots.

• Phasma Felis says:

He means “physiologically addictive.” Obviously. Do try and keep up.

• Arren says:

“Weed addicts”?

::eyeroll::

Self-righteous stereotype-peddlers on the internet are worse and far more tedious.

• Stan Lee Cube Rick says:

Game addicts are the worst, most boring people.

• snajk says:

The worst addictions, for the society as a whole, is the ones that we as a society promotes rather than prohibits. That is addiction to power, profit and money. They have all the tell tale signs of addiction just like any other, e.g.: they can’t see the consequenses of their actions, they make huge sacrifices just to keep their addiction going and they lie and cheat to keep it hidden.

6. Andrew says:

Holy peeing blodo, Batman!

7. Adam Smith says:

Blodo for the Blodo God

8. Squirly says:

Whoa, dude. You’re totally killing the buzz here man.

9. The Random One says:

Ugh. A fast-paced frantic game with instadeath and unskippable tutorial.

It’s like that guy was on drugs.

10. Bork Titflopsen says:

Must be a slow news day, huh?

#420
    #YOLO

11. jameshamilton says:

In real world it is like what most people do, some try to conceal prohibited drugs but some try to bring violators into justice.

Regards,