Dead Island: Riptide Remembers It’s A Game Too

By John Walker on January 24th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

What are those things sticking out of that lady? Oh, arms and a head. Weird.

Dead Island Riptide is certainly now more famous for its grotty “special” edition statuette than anything in the game itself. Which might be why we’re now seeing the first ever footage. A dev-narrated video shows the game in pre-alpha, disappointingly on 360.

I’ll never get that. You’ve got a version of your first-person game running in a far higher resolution, with a million billion more graphicsability, and you show the sludgy, tearing, controller-driven Vaseline-fest instead. Madness. Anyway, you can see the not-actually-controversial game running, below.

The addition of boats doesn’t quite scream NEW FRESH GAME! But then Dead Island was a lot of fun, so more of the same is by no means a bad thing. And defending a base is always a good time if it’s well implemented. But oh, those dreaded words at 6.40. If fellow survivors die in an attack, you fail the mission. Why? WHY?! About which game has anyone ever said, “I enjoyed it, but I wish I’d had to ensure the wobbly, uncontrollable AI didn’t suicidally walk into the line of fire.”? NONE! NONE GAMES!

So, there it is. Looking very pretty, and pretty similar. Tempted?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

• Wreckdum says:

Zombies were so 2012. The threat has passed now they are just as scary as a leprechaun.

Which I guess to some people those can be scary… Not to this guy though!

• Syra says:

Not just no but HELL NO.

It looks like the same floaty badly animated oddly inconsistent (axe to the gut = dead zombie? But other one takes 10 headshots?) MMO like crap that the first one set the precedent for.

1. SkittleDiddler says:

Techland is the same company that released a Day One PC game with the dev console bound to a specific gamepad button, so it’s no surprise they’re demoing their newest shitstain by using console footage.

Anyway, this one looks exactly like the first one. What’s the point?

• lordcooper says:

I own precisely one game of every genre.

• Xardas Kane says:

• MarcP says:

“There is a difference between being in the same genre and being the exact same game.”

I can get the fascination so many seem to have for consistently trying new things, but I’ll never quite understand why these same people are so often unable to accept some of us would rather play a few really great games over and over rather than hundreds of merely average ones. For people who share this particular way to enjoy gaming, a significant amount of extra content for a title we like beats an entire month of new releases.

Not to say Dead Island is a masterpiece, but even today I’d certainly pick the original over most of what 2012 offered, save for a dozen games or so.

• meaiulowmn says:

3-IN-1 Dock Station Charger for iPhone5/iPod 5th, Nano, iPad (White)! $ 12.9! Do not be surprised! Is the price! You can find more cheap? This is the best! http://urlik.pl/go.php?sk=21558

• HadToLogin says:

I’m pretty sure for everyone who says “DI Riptide is shit because it’s exactly like DI” you’ll get one who said “new DMC will be crap because Dante’s hair isn’t white” or “L4D2 sucks because new survivors”.

2. Kid_A says:

Unless they’ve completely reworked combat (which it doesn’t look like they have), no.

3. lordcooper says:

Maybe.

4. TheApologist says:

Maybe?

5. WoundedBum says:

I don’t really get why the don’t display the PC version in videos, but I find Youtube videos too low a quality to really notice a difference anyway.

I’ll get the game at some point, I had fun playing through with a friend before.

6. Jimbot says:

The first was a great time with a friend and I really dug the combat, so chances are high of me getting this.

7. KevinLew says:

I’m surprised by the hate on this game. I’m not saying that Riptide is a vast improvement over the original game, and Dead Island certainly has problems. However, I thought Dead Island has some of the best melee combat in any zombie game and I liked it. I also thought the co-op mode was really fun.

• Liquidoodle says:

I agree on all counts, absolutely loved the first especially the co-op action and swingy melee :D

• f1x says:

Indeed I had awesome fun with it, so a bit surprised to see so many negative comments

On the other hand, I wish they would’ve improved the UI regarding weapon selection/equip, from what I see in the video is still same as it was before

• theallmightybob says:

I have a love hate relationship with dead island. I love the concept and I dont mind the combat (to an extent), but why the hell cant a find a freaken weapon that I can keep killing zombies with without it breaking? I hate the first few hours of the game when weapons are like damage packets that just explode after a set ammount of uses.

A lead pipe should still be usefull as a bashing tool for a very long time. Over all it just made me start to hate the game becasue of all the little things. Not to say I dident have any fun but it gets really tiring having to stop using a weapon because its about to break after like 30 or 40 hits, infact i’m sure i would have enjoyed the game alot more if I never really had to worry about that as much.

• grenadeh says:

While I agree to an extent, I don’t think you’ve bashed anyone to death with a lead pipe. It’s not going to stay intact for long, especially a LEAD pipe. You realize lead is a soft metal, right.

• Phantoon says:

Do you really want the rant on why we hate it?

• f1x says:

Sure, you can go ahead

not saying everybody should love it, but sometimes it seems like people is just jumping on the train of hate for the sake of it

There are plenty of reasons to hate Dead Island, technical issues (most of them solved nowadays tho by official patch or mods), dull quests, stupid durability system that dosn’t feel like an element of survival, etc
        But also plenty of reasons to enjoy it, fun combat, pretty nice graphics, mods, open world + zombies

8. Shooop says:

Dead Island was only fun for the first 2 hours. Once you left the beach area it nosedived and crashed so hard it possibly broke through the Earth’s crust.

• x1501 says:

Yeah, I didn’t really like the first game either. Sluggish, vapid, borderline boring. Some of the most annoying game mechanics and quests I’ve ever seen in a video game too. Whoever once described it to me as a “superb co-op shooter” and “Borderlands With Better Combat and Graphics” is lucky I can’t remember their name.

9. maximiZe says:

Dead Island was a clunky Borderlands clone with zombies and this one doesn’t look any different. Not tempted.

10. rustybroomhandle says:

Gah, watching first-person game footage is frustrating when it’s so obvious a controller is used. No natural fluidity, just rotate… stop… rotate… stop… rotaaaate… stop… rota..stop. Preaching to choir, I know… but it’s a poor way to show off one’s game.

11. kevmscotland says:

Nope!

They clearly learned nothing from the trailer/game fiasco the first time around either.

12. aliksy says:

Dead Island was pretty badly flawed. The most effective way to kill zombies was jump-kick + head stomp. Instant kill, no durability loss. Weapon durability loss was a huge pain in the ass that didn’t make the game any more fun. They could’ve gone survival horror with a “use whatever you can find” thing, but that doesn’t work well with leveled items.

13. Stupoider says:

“Dead Island Riptide is certainly now more famous for its grotty “special” edition statuette”

No, no it’s not.

14. Megakoresh says:

“Tempted?”

Not really…

15. Tei says:

I loved the first game, It was a great experience. A L4D with crafting, and open areas.
    But this video shows some of the worst things of the game, like crappy fedex quests, and weird gameplay. Not a good video at all. Since this is alpha, I hope the final game is much better that what we see here. Or maybe is hard to demo a RPG game, I dunno.

16. Pemptus says:

Boats shmoats. The following is relevant to my interests:
    - is the horrible interface and menus fixed, so they’re not a clunky mess?
    - are the idiotic escort missions gone?
    - can you mark more than one subquest marker at a time on your map without having to switch between them in a clunky menu? (seriously, is this some kind of a major programming feat? Borderlands does this too, and it’s driving me up the wall)
    - is the annoying weapon durability system made not annoying?

17. Yosharian says:

Horrible game

18. Beernut says:

What’s up with the abysmal FOV? I got dizzy after ten seconds.

19. Jupiah says:

I dunno, the first game was fun in that same way that all MMOs can be fun, finding loot, killing monsters, leveling up. But it didn’t last long for me because the game’s systems were so shallow. Half the character skills are borderline useless, the rage skills were crazy overpowered, the combat system made no sense (jump kicks and stomps being the most effective attacks, and why does throwing weapons not degrade them?) the loot and weapon customization system had no depth, the story line wasn’t very intriguing and the npcs were mostly really annoying and useless.

I personally got sick of the game after I cleared out a random apartment building in the city and saved the women who lived there. The doors magically lock for no reason after you leave, of course only then do I learn that 2 of the secret developer skull dropoff points that give you really cool weapon blueprints are located in that building and now I’ll never be able to acquire them. I hate that kind of “welp you should have bought and read the prima guide before playing the game, chump!” stuff! It’s needlessly frustrating, why would any game developer do that to the player?

20. Zogtee says:

If everyone has to survive the assault on the base, then what’s the point of letting you “play” that part? It might as well be a cutscene, really.

• grenadeh says:

It’s called a challenge to test your obviously non-existent skills as a gamer, excuse them for trying to fight back against the callous disregard for real gamers shown by all developers in favor of grabbing the casuals.

21. PitfireX says:

Worst game I’ve ever played, and the sequel looks like a map pack of it. Why do you people accept this laziness and buy this drivel?

22. Michael Fogg says:

I want to run over zombies with a motorboat.

23. LJFHutch says:

Why are there so many numbers.

24. Bimble says:

Yawn. The most violent thing on there was the screen tearing. Lop it’s head off and let’s go for a brew.

25. Keymonk says:

Fairly unimpressed, I’ll admit. the first Dead Island was passable, but had a lot of annoying and infuriating design decisions. I doubt this’ll be much better.

26. SelfEsteemFund says:

Still ‘pre-alpha’ in January 2013 yet shipping in April 2013. Ok, sure…

• Phantoon says:

Considering how much work they’ll put in, I bet they could turn it around in that much time.

Which is to say, no work at all.

27. Brainkite says:

Is that Far Cry meets L4D ?

28. Rapzid says:

I had something smart to say… In another thread.

Comment on this story