For Fun And Prophet: Crysis 3 Open Beta Next Week

By Nathan Grayson on January 24th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Ah, the classic dichotomy of Goliath vs bigger Goliath who's also a robot.

In my more soulful, reflective moments, I can’t help but look out into the vast sea of human suffering and ask myself, “Why? Why do we Crysis?” The answers, of course, are many and multifarious – like some kind of gigantic, infini-brained wisdom hydra – but they all boil down to one core: single-player. Case in point: Crysis 2′s multiplayer wasn’t terrible by any means, but it just didn’t do enough to stand out. Crytek, however, seems to think the series has multiplayer greatness encoded in its nanomachine-bloated DNA, so it’s once again aiming high with Crysis 3. And while things like the hunted-becomes-the-hunter, er, Hunter mode sound fun on paper, they’re far from proven quantities. So that’s where you come in, with your hideously calloused testing fingers and unrelentingly skewering skepticism. Details after the break.

BUT FIRST, here’s a seemingly unrelated trailer focusing on single-player Nanosuit powers EA posted on the beta website today. Why? I have no clue. But it looks snazzy and focuses on one of the few more interesting aspects of Crysis’ storyline.

Right then, about that beta. It’s set to begin on January 29th, and – assuming you have an Origin account – you’re already implicitly in. However, in order for it to actually run, you apparently “must” have a DX11-supported video card, so that’s something to keep in mind.

From there, you’ll be able to play two levels and two modes all the way up to a ceiling of level ten. Crash Site’s basically King of the Hill, but with a mechanized, massively destructive robot twist, but Hunter – at least, to me – sounds like the real standout.

“This multiplayer game mode is all about the survival of the fittest. There are two teams, initially comprised of two permanently cloaked ‘Hunters’, and up to fourteen CELL troopers awaiting extraction. Each trooper slain respawns on the Hunter team to prey on their former allies, building to a frenetic climax. If any of the troopers survive the round, the hunters lose.”

Crysis’ super-suited shootery is ripe for asymmetrical antics, but it remains to be seen whether or not the mode balances out well. Granted, Crytek seems to think so, or else I imagine it’d have a) scheduled this open beta for more than two weeks and b) not set it to wrap up seven days before launch.

We’ll see, though. If nothing else, this sounds slightly more beta-y than SimCity’s weekend on the town, but – for better or worse – probably expect a pretty polished experience overall. So then, will you try this before you Crysis?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I know now why you Crysis.

But it is something that I can never do.

2. BobbyDylan says:

“Beta”…. Riiight,

3. Milky1985 says:

Anyone checked the EULA? Will you get banned from all EA games for not reporting bugs in this “beta” that is happening a couple of weeks before release :P

4. Loque says:

Let me guess. The open beta will be Directx9 only, without hi-res textures “that will be added later”. Because graphics do not count. Instead, we need yet another online multiplayer FPS capable of running on every platform.

5. Screamer says:

Obligatory “I’m not installing Origin, no sale if not on Steam WHAAAAAAA!” comment.

• f1x says:

Yeah! I’m not installing Original hahahah fuck you EA that will teach you, you better start asking for mercy! Without my sale bankruptcy is imminent

• Xzi says:

Actually I was going to say that I really enjoyed Crysis 2′s multiplayer. Up until CryTek decided they’d be doing nothing about the rampant hacking. For that reason, AND because it requires Origin, I will not be buying Crysis 3.

I will beta test it, though. And freely not report all the bugs I want.

• MeestaNob says:

Fine, I’ll bite.

I don’t care that it’s not on Steam. I do care that its on Origin, though. EA are a pack of arseholes and will never get my money.

• BobbyDylan says:

If I do buy it, It’ll be on my next “visit” to india, where Origin prices are a fraction of that they are in the UK.

• karthink says:

Not true. New games cost about the same as USD figures. Older (6+ months) cost pennies, though, even for someone who earns in Rupees.

• SuicideKing says:

Only true for Bethesda and Activision games, EA games vary/slightly cheaper than direct conversion. Actually, i think it’s only true for Activision, the others top out at Rs.2000 (completely unsure about Bethesda, i remember skyrim selling for 2.5k as well).

Valve, Square Enix and WB still sell for under 1k.

6. Zanchito says:

Lucky you, here in Spain we don’t get discounted prices, EVER. (Someone tell me if it has changed, I stopped going to retail shops long ago, getting the games online or imported was always cheaper).

7. PoulWrist says:

I guess the console boxes are why they went away from the over the top Crysis 1 multiplayer where you had rocketlaunchers and tanks that fired nukes and black holes while fighting on pretty big maps with gameplay kind of like a mix between Battlefield Conquest and Dawn of War resource point domination?

Comment on this story