Telepath Tactics Has A New Demo In Mind

By Jim Rossignol on January 24th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

It’s been a long time since we turned the flame-lidded Eye Of Shotgun towards Telepath Tactics, but the advent of a fresh alpha demo seems like a good time to do that (thanks Blue!) “TT”, as we call it in our games journo dialect, is a sort of Fire Emblem type turn-based tactics thing, and although development seemed slow last year, it’s coming along a treat. You could perhaps take a look. You know, if you’re not too busy.

Developer update video can be found below, if you’d like to see what changes have been made.

And a more general introduction:

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Deadly Habit says:

Why didn’t you guys cover it when it was on Kickstarter and need the media time and extra push FFS!?!?!
    Dungeon Dashers could use some RPS love as well.

• lordcooper says:

Are you experiencing anger, my brother?

• Deadly Habit says:

Indeed I am, when an awesome game gets ignored for reposts of Kotaku /Gawker styled shit, especially when the developer is actively trying to get the gaming media’s attention it irritates me.

• lordcooper says:

The contents of a particular website are (and should be) entirely at the discretion of the owners, writers and editors. It’s flat out impossible for a website with five main contributors to provide up to date coverage of every single game that is being made. Might I suggest chilling out a little?

• Deadly Habit says:

When you actually talk to the developer of a game and know the efforts he’s going through trying to get media attention it’s irritating to say the least especially when said site (RPS) has a Kickstarter article on the regular that ignored said game when it could have used more attention.
            Might I suggest you not make assumptions?

• lordcooper says:

Thing is, there are a hell of a lotta Kickstarter projects that could use more attention, and one person who generally compiles the RPS Kickstarter thingies. Just because you happen to know the developer doesn’t mean this one is any more important.

Also, what assumption did I make?

• caddyB says:

Kickstarter mentioned here:

Also in the comments in the one before that, and also on the losers section on the later one. There is no rage like unwarranted rage, eh?

• Deadly Habit says:

Indeed, somehow I missed that in spite of this being in my daily net rotation. I have no problem in saying I’m mad the Kickstarter didn’t make it. I’m holding back a diatribe against the “Is it not flash anymore” guy atm though.

• Berzee says:

Ohhhhh snapper turtles.

• almondblight says:

No space between all the articles pushing for games like Wildman and Republique.

2. gritz says:

I’ve wanted a game like this to show up on the PC for so long… but it just looks way too amateur.

• Craig Stern says:

You should give the demo a try! It’s still in alpha, so a lot of art is placeholder or simply not in the game yet (e.g. attack animations), but the fundamentals are pretty solid.

3. zylo says:

What about the most important feature, “no longer made in craptastic Flash”? Is it in?

• pakoito says:

Adobe Air ;____;

But the game is great!!

• Deadly Habit says:

Holding back a diatribe atm, but Binding of Isaac anyone?

• Koozer says:

As good as BoI is, it suffers absolutely atrocious slowdown when there is anything more complicated than a couple of enemies and projectiles on the screen at once. It would absolutely be 10x a better experience in anything other than Flash. Of course a TBS doesn’t have the same requirement of a steady framerate, but still, there are better options than Flash out there by far.

• Deadly Habit says:

Indeed, but Flash allows guys who don’t know proper programming accessibility to making games which is why we have titles like it that are throwbacks, innovation etc.
          It irritates me when people look down on it even though I grew up on assembly, C and C++.
          It also seems like a blanket term tools from sites like 4chan and reddit use without knowing what it means.

• The Random One says:

Particularly, I think a developer’s choice of tools should be up to their mastery of it, and I have no problem with how a game is made as long as the product is enjoyable; that said, defending a game made on Flash by bringing up a much beloved game whose main criticism has consistently been ‘too bad it was made on Flash’ doesn’t strike me as a very useful strategy.

4. InternetBatman says:

I’m digging the new art, this game looks pretty interesting.

5. JFS says:

No wonder the Kickstarter failed, the old demo was veeery slow-paced and… boring. I’m sorry, but it was. And I’m a fan of turn-based tactics.

• Deadly Habit says:

Doesn’t sound like it since it plays very similar to Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics which are staples of the console tactics genre. This is the closest PC has gotten to either of those. Casual accessible TBT.

6. Mobius5trip says:

Interesting videos, but seeing as PC already has the excellent (and free) Battle For Wesnoth, I feel like the success of this game will depend on how “outside-the-box” the tactics can get. Throwing enemies around seems like a good step.

• Kitsuninc says:

Briefly checking that out, I have to say that in all honesty, the graphics look too muddy and bland for me to really get into it. That aside, being able to recruit units in battle and having an income sets it way apart from more fire emblem ‘micro tactics’ type games. That’s just my perspective though, and I certainly don’t know enough about either games to make a fully informed argument.

• Craig Stern says:

In a nutshell, Wesnoth has very, very different mechanics. To start with, Wesnoth is very much a wagerer’s game, with poor odds for almost every action (I don’t think I’ve ever seen an attack with a better than 70% chance to hit in that game). Telepath Tactics is far more deterministic, with a greater focus on outwitting the opponent rather than merely trying to manipulate to-hit numbers.

Telepath Tactics is also much more focused on individual units, which can each have 8 or more unique abilities, character inventories, leveling schemes, and so on. (Basically, it’s more on the tactics level, whereas Wesnoth has more of a broad strategy focus, if that makes sense.)

I could blab on and on, but the best way to see the difference is really just to play the demo.

• Mobius5trip says:

Hmm, I see your point. Maybe I’ll check it out then, cheers.

• pakoito says:

Slogfest for Boredom, a.k.a. “I will have fun provided I roll a 5 or more”. That game is heavily overrated by the OS community and his system is completely ZzzZzz comic book material.