Chivalfree: Chivalry Gets Free Weekend On Steam

By Nathan Grayson on January 25th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Chivalry‘s not dead. Actually, it’s doing very well, I have heard. Adam had quite the time with it at launch, and Torn Banner’s promised so many free updates that, eventually, I imagine we’ll see medieval knights obtain trusty steeds, and then trade those steeds for rideable rockets. So yes, it’s probably about time you give it a go. But how? I bet it’s impossible. You should probably just give up. No wait! My mistake. It’s actually the easiest thing ever. Chivalry’s free on Steam this weekend, you see, so the ancient art of horrifically violent trash can battling is just a download away.

As per usual with these things, a full purchase of Chivalry’s also 50 percent off for the duration of the event. Meanwhile, Torn Banner’s claiming that a colossal content update‘s right around the corner, so that’s as good of a reason as any to corral a bunch of new players.

So then, what ingredients is Torn Banner about to drop into its chunky, meaty battlefield stew? Well, new modes like duel and capture the flag are leading the charge, while multiple new maps and weapons – including the subtle, elegant stylings of the polehammer (it’s a pole and a hammer!) and flail – are bringing up the rear. Also, there’s a volcano! Those make everything better. Except, um, Pompeii. And some other places. But anyway.

The free weekend’s already started, so you can suit up and join the fray whenever you please. Regrettably, I still haven’t played it in spite of my apparent affinity for these sorts of things, so I should probably do that already. But, if I do, will I encounter you amidst all the chaos? Will our gazes intertwine like dancers - inextricable until the bitter, bloody end? Or do you plan on doing something silly like going outside this weekend?

, , , .

1. Phantoon says:

FOR AGATHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Skeletor68 says:

Falraq is a Doob!

3. Livebythesword says:

A macing game.

4. Mario Figueiredo says:

It would be interesting to know how many people take advantage of Steam free weekend. I always imagined the thing to work more like a deal, since the game is presented at a discount. But to use it as a means to demo a game, never really appealed to me. It’s rare, very rare, a weekend deal ends up presenting a game on my wishlist.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Well, I never use those free-weekends.
      Mostly because those games are always (?) Multiplayer-Only – and I don’t like MP (over the internet).

• Bennus says:

I’ve been specifically waiting for a Chivalry free weekend, I knew it was coming. I didn’t know if my laptop would run it. Turns out it does alright. But besides, I try most free weekends, purely as a means to demo the game. Works very well for the multiplayer-em-up ones.

• RegisteredUser says:

I can tell you that over 50% of the servers are since yesterday populated by terrible noobs, playing mostly archer, causing much FUUU and rage and basically just being noobs.

So I’d assume quite a few indeed.

Its a terrible PR move if you ask me, because you’re basically alienating your established playerbase for most of a week who desperately just wants a normal game, but ends up just going through server after server.
      Of course if the god damn server browser actually WORKED (2 no-connects and I have to reopen the god damn game for it to work again) and stored favorites(nothing in that thing really works outside of the basic list and filter), it might not be AS bad.

The promised January update is nowhere to be seen yet, either.

• Shooop says:

For this game I’m not entirely sure it’s a good idea. New players have a tendency to kill their teammates more often than the enemy. And yes, part of that comes from personal experience. Sorry everyone.

5. SanguineAngel says:

well, I’ve been intrigued by this for some time so I shall give it a bash over the next couple of days! Huzzah!

6. Paul says:

Pretty great, I am not into MP games but this one seemed interesting to me. Good thing to be able to try it before paying…already downloading.

7. BigJonno says:

I’ve been wanting to give this a try, so I’ll definitely be playing.

8. zappeo says:

this game is amazingly funny and I like how the developers seem to be on “the right side” with (big) free content updates.
    I hope this will turn out as a big spike in sales.

9. P4p3Rc1iP says:

Funny how a colleague was just recommending this game to me yesterday! Installing!

golem09 says:

On the weekend of the Path of Exile Open Beta start? Fat chance.

Herzog says:

It is a really fun game. But the sluggishness of the UT3 engine or whatever they are using keeps it from being great. Still recommended getting for a low price though.

Press C for battlecry!

12. Paul says:

After trying it:
    I really like the combat and maps look beautiful. But the general concept of respawning, running somewhere, killing or gettings killed, respawning, running somewhere, killing or getting killed, respawning…

Yeah this is not for me at all. I wish they took the combat mechanics and built singleplayer open story RPG around it. That would be something for me.

• Rimesmoker says:

You should really try the different gamemodes. They have very different feeling. Try Team Objective for some actuall stuff to do, or go with Last Man Standing for some moderately more tactical combat.

13. FloorBelow says:

Protip for all the new players: Press f10.

• The Random One says:

Nice trolling attempt, but ultimately pointless. Accidentally suiciding inconveniences the player once, knowing what the suicide button is is forever.

14. Zealuu says:

Chivalry free weekend just after War of the Roses gets a complete overhaul? Well played, Torn Banner.

Please try the game, it’s fun. Although at least for Europeans of all kinds, the amount of servers with an acceptable ping isn’t exactly staggering, but don’t let that discourage you. Also, remember that team objective is the best mode. Some servers have sensible rotations with mostly TO, punctuated by the occasional bout of FFA, Team King of the Hill or Last Team Standing.

If you feel about as durable as a paper bag, try playing Knight for a bit. Archers, for instance, will die from a single overhead swing from the heavier Vanguard weapons, and I’m sure that can be annoying if you’re just getting started. Also, if your parries seem to be ineffective, consider the swing time of whatever you’re parrying. Daggers and short swords = right click as soon as you see the wind-up; sledgehammers and polearms = wait until the weapon is visibly moving towards you before clicking.

Also, F10 is suicide. Don’t press that unless you actually want to suicide.

15. The Random One says:

I already have it, but this sounds like a fair chance to play against people who are even worse at it than I am.

• Rimesmoker says:

You should really give it another go then. I played (according to Steam) about 90 hours the first few weeks after it was released, but then I got bored with it. Skip ahead a month or so when I return and I find myself kickick ass. No doubt because of the holiday-sales. Enormous fun to win a FFA round with more than 4.5 in K/D ratio:)

16. Berzee says:

Excellent! This is a good idea; buying and getting involved in a new multiplayer kill-all-the-men game isn’t something I do very often. I have often hesitated over the Chivalry Button on the Steam platform, but never clicked it because I already have Mount & Blade Warband cRPG Mod and I don’t play that very much either. =P

But now I can finally see if this is The Best! Thanks, whoever decided to do this. (I only wish it had come on a better weekend since many of my waking hours are already spoken for =| but tomorrow morning I should be able to give it a whirl with my critical eye).

17. El_Emmental says:

An excellent game, but with a terrible netcode (not really surprising from an indie dev using the Unreal Engine 3).

Latencies ingame go from 70 to 120 ms (for people getting 40 to 60 ms on other games), and the actual latency is higher, mostly caused by the server (as more players join the server, the actual latency rises).

I highly recommend picking the servers with the lowest ping in the server browser (50 to 70 ms), and servers with no more than 25 players (15 to 18 players is already way enough to have a good fight).

Tips for beginners:
    - do the Training camp (the sword/spear combat part), it’s short and really useful

- pick Knight (w/ the heavy sword) first in online game
    - try the Vanguard (pole arms) second (keep distance with your enemy)

- don’t be afraid of moving back, or your enemy will always hit you first (unless you surprise him)
    - if the enemy parry your attack, immediately prepare yourself to back-pedal and parry his counter-attack.

- move while swinging your weapon, if you strafe/move to the right of the enemy, his left-to-center swing will miss you.
    - and moving while making a large side-swing will “cover” a larger zone, it can allow you to “catch up” with a strafing enemy or hit 3 enemies with 1 swing.

- Shields are poor at blocking close-range side-swing attack (but they can also block projectiles such as arrows or throwable axes), only parrying works nicely with all close-range attacks.

- when badly wounded, stay behind cover (if you’re close to enemies) and wait 5-10 seconds without sprinting to slowly recover your health points.

18. SkittleDiddler says:

I really want to try this, but past experience with Steam’s download speeds during free weekend events puts me off. Pity.

19. Guiscard says:

This actually strikes me as a somewhat stupid move by Torn Banner. Surely it would make much more sense to get the “colossal” update that improves some of the game’s key flaws (ie netcode) up and running, and THEN do the free weekend? Doing the weekend before the update means there will be people who are driven off by aspects of the game that are about to be changed in a matter of weeks.

• RegisteredUser says:

Now now. Don’t be using logic and sense in the gaming industry when it comes to releases, udpates and content management. :p

• Shooop says:

It’s OK this is RPS. None of the industry insiders dare come here.

• Shooop says:

Oh geez, you’re right.

Yes that would have been a much better idea, from a salesman’s point of view as well as being more courteous to the players.

• animlboogy says:

It makes a lot of sense to me, since it is a big content update more than a pure balance pass. Sell a bunch of people on the game as it is, which is already pretty great if a little thin on content. Then impress all these new buyers with a big update that brings older, jaded players out of the woodwork at the same time.

I think it’s a bit smarter than forcing the update out when the game is crowded with thousands of new players like it is. I know I’d be even more annoyed than I am with how hard it is to find an open server with good ping this weekend.

Perhaps I am sensitive to this whole thing because of my time with Guild Wars 2, where they are perfectly content to repeatedly premier new content by promoting events that break the servers over and over again.

20. RegisteredUser says:

To all of you “trying!!!!” people: Please learn the ropes and objectives before you join public servers.
    It will spare a lot of people a lot of nerves.
    Run through the practice once and start a local server match with bots at least once for each team objective map if you intend to play that mode. Know what to do.

21. Shooop says:

I really, really want to enjoy this game more than I did. I just feel the weapons swing too slowly and it really agitated me.

Yes I know it’s probably not realistic at all to have people swinging claymores like in movies, but it sure looks like fun to me. Any word on mods coming up?

• animlboogy says:

The game isn’t really realistic, either, it just is what it is. They created a rhythm for it that’s a bit different and probably less complex than Mount and Blade or WotR, but I think it’s better for it. Dueling is a lot of fun in this, while M&B seemed to work best as a coordinated tactical experience.

I’d be all for modders drastically changing the rhythm of the game — servers can already speed up the game speed at will, which is lots of spammy fun — but big changes would need to go with things. Even as slow as they are, nothing in the game is quite so good at tearing apart three players in a single swing like those big slow swords are. Speeding that up would make Vanguards into superpowered lawnmowers.

22. pocketlint60 says: