Sacrificial Space Myths: Soulfinity

By Adam Smith on January 25th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Soulfinity is the work of four students from the University of Glamorgan, who describe their game as a 3rd person action/puzzler. The characters are taken from Greek mythology but the game takes place in 2394 (not sure on the month), so there are techno-visors, laser swords and spaceships. Many of the puzzles will be based around Odysseus dying intentionally, which seems like a very silly way to progress, but will apparently be essential:

The game’s sacrifice mechanic allows players to create copies of their soul, and these souls can help the player if they have used their past life wisely.

There’s a short trailer below and, being a child of the eighties, I’ve included a video of the definitive take on the future-myth.

Behold, Space (not) Jesus.

“No one else can do the things you do!”

__________________

« | »

, .

1. shitflap says:

I woulda been crushed if it had of been anything but Ulysses.
    Nice one.

2. Ravenholme says:

I just knew that you’d compare it to Ulysses 31, it’s the obvious comparison to make (And I say this as a 90s child!)

3. BigJonno says:

Gotta love Space Jesus.

4. didthedew says:

looks like this

but with souls instead of temporal clones and maybe some fighting.

• Mr. Mister says:

Not time clones, those are other quantum states of you (so you can kill them too).

5. soundofsatellites says:

And Adam, you do know that the ulysses intro is far more awesome than the soulfinity trailer, don’t you?

6. SuperNashwanPower says:

OK you pricked my old TV gland

Cities of Gold
    Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds
    Pole Position
    Terrahawks
    Centurions
    The Adventure Game

NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Uncle Ben
      King Rollo
      Camberwick Green
      Trumpton

Oh shit I am old

• iucounu says:

Ah, you’re, what, 34? WE ARE OLD MY FRIEND.

• skorpeyon says:

No way buddy, I’m only 29 and I recognize pretty much all of those shows he listed. He could be younger. ;) Terrahawks and Centurians were a couple of my favorite shows when they were on.

EDIT: My bad, not Terrahawks. Man, I think I AM getting old. Thought it was Silverhawks. Loved that show.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Heh just turned 35 :D Good guess iucounu

I think a lot of these shows have been re-run a lot due to their outright awesomeness. Terrahawks was great, a sort of space puppet show thing where the bad guy / gal ate green slime. The best characters were these little rolling ball robots, whose leader had a moustache and spoke like a stereotypical sargeant major. Actually, the one from It Ain’t Half Hot Mum might have even voiced it.

When there was a space battle, all the little balls rolled to gun stations AND BECAME THE GUNS. How awesome is that? Ahhhh I am 9 again.

• floogles says:

Re-watched cities of gold recently – was not disappointed (actually incredibly good), except that the theme song took months to leave, and still returns at awkward moments.

Additional honourable mentions:
      - Astroboy
      - The Tripods
      - Star Blazers

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Is Tripods that alien invasion thing, sort of based on war of the worlds?

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I just came back to say I spent Sunday watching the first 7 episodes of Tripods thanks to you Mr Floogles.

Sadly YouTube doesnt have the second half of the first series. Apparently it goes shit for 4 episodes though.

7. MadTinkerer says:

sigh Let’s see: yep, U31 was released in 1981, just slightly too soon for me to remember it at all. because I was 1 year old at the time. Oh well.

I still sometimes wish I was born just a few years earlier. Having the NES as my first videogame console is great, but sometimes I wish I had more of what came before (Odyssey, Intellivision, and obviously Atari’s various machines), and I was even a little too young for Commodore 64′s golden age. These days kids don’t know of anything pre-NES (except possibly Atari 2600). Which is crazy because I remember when “retro” meant “everything pre-NES” including actual pinball and such.

Back to classic TV, it’s a shame that some shows require “piracy” (or rather filesharing) to view because they’re unavailable otherwise*, but I have hope that eventually digital distribution will reach the point where pretty much everything that ever survived on tape will be available on Netflix or whatever. Maybe then we’ll even get Ulysses The Next Generation.

*Or worse, only the first two of six seasons were made available on DVD. Or even worse: all the episodes are out of order on the DVD, because that’s how much the people in charge care about customers who are fans of legacy series. GRARGH.

• skorpeyon says:

So much this. I hadn’t heard of Ulysses 31 but it’s exactly the kind of show I’d have been into as a kid.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

First video game I ever played was the atari 2600, pong! My uncle had it, a little thing with fake wooden panelling, as that was the taste in hi-fi at the time so they copied a record player or something :) The first one we owned was the Commodore 64, god I loved that machine, like a best friend it was **small tear**. I wasn’t actually any good at games until I bought some serious microswitch joysticks, the best being the ZipStick which had the fastest autofire IN THE WOOOOOORLD at the time.

Paradroid. Manic Miner. Daley Thompsons Decathlon. Ghostbusters

Then we got an Amiga 500, and I fairly wet myself when I saw it and the pack of (what mostly turned out to be shite) games for it. Barbarian was awesome though. OH OH it was the Batman The Movie pack! Only good film tie-in EVERRR.

My mates had spectrums, amstrad CPCs, Atari ST’s and NES / SNES / Megadrive, so I had a pretty good exposure of all of them. Never saw the magnavoxes though, I think you had to be stunningly rich and know the manufacturer’s cousin or something. Of course, COMMODORE WAS BEST. Gaming elitism began young for me ….

I am getting like those old people who always want to tell you their age.

8. stiffkittin says:

Ha! I was just thinking about Ullysses 31 a couple of days ago. Trying to remember the lyrics. This is one show I’ve been meaning to revisit for some time.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The only lyrics you need to know are:

“ULYSEEE-eeeeee-EEE-eeeeeee-EEEEEES!”

• wu wei says:

Soaring through all the galaxies, in search of Earth, flying into the night!!

It’s sad that I still know that by heart :|

9. iucounu says:

I would just like to say thanks for the full-on nostaligia rush.

10. psepho says:

I can remember having Ulysses 31 books. Was that a thing?

The other thought that came to mind was Dan Simmons Ilium and Olympus books. Now if any game devs want a truly insurmountable challenge…

11. tossrStu says:

I’m just going to leave this video here for the Ulysses fans.

12. niyagamu says:

just before I saw the receipt 4 $5340, I didn’t believe that my mom in-law was like actually receiving money in their spare time from there labtop.. there moms best frend had bean doing this less than 22 months and a short time ago repayed the dept on their home and got a brand new Bugatti Veyron. we looked here, http://www.Cloud65.com