Second Wind: Treasure Adventure Game Being Rebuilt

By Nathan Grayson on January 25th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Remember Treasure Adventure Game? Come now, don’t make me roll up a copy of Adam’s brief yet glowing appraisal and beat you over the nose with it. You have a very attractive nose. Since I cherish its Greek-sculpture-like beauty, I suppose I’ll eschew punishment and just tell you it was a peaceful, pleasant explorer jetted with jolts of high-seas derring-do. TAG was, however, also a labor of low-budget love, so it took a hit or two in the scope and scale department. But no more. Robit and Chucklefish (two gaming companies, in spite of names that suggest they’re actually a comedic noir future mystery-solving duo) are gutting TAG, starting from scratch with a gorgeous new art style, and rechristening the whole thing Treasure Adventure World. It looks quite¬†scrumptious. Have a gander after the break.

Yep, that’s a gander, alright. And now, here’s the debut trailer of Treasure Adventure World.

So then, aside from the art style, what’s actually changing? Well, these things, mostly:

• New engine – smoother gameplay, HD widescreen mode
  • High-res, hand-drawn art – Christine Crossley is the sole artist bringing the pixelated world of TAG into the beautiful world of HD
  • New music and sound by Robert Ellis
  • More treasures and collectibles, remixed puzzles and new equipment
  • Improvements to enemy AI, more intense boss fights.
  • Enhanced story – more tightly focused story, intriguing cutscenes, charming NPCs and new multiple endings

In other words, it’ll be more of the same Crayola-colored cavorting, but bigger and (presumably) better – heaving with a pregnant belly of treasures. And perhaps also adventures. I think that’s actually a fairly safe guess on my part, all things considered.

So yes, between Treasure Adventure Game’s rock-solid foundation and the fact that co-developer Chucklefish is best known for the equally promising-looking Starbound, there’s quite a bit to be excited about here. Are you feeling all tingly about it? Be honest, now. Don’t worry. Your nose is safe. I promise.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. DevilSShadoW says:

I wanted to duck and save my beautiful greek nose but alas it was too late and now my goose is cooked.

2. Harlander says:

This all looks very charming, but where can we hear more about Robit and Chucklefish in the Dark Future Funtime Hour?

3. Zanchito says:

Never played the original, but re-reading the comments of that article, it sounds very interesting! Should I wait for the remake?

• baby snot says:

• apocraphyn says:

Nah, give the original a shot. It’s a free download for anyone with a GoG account and it’s a fun little thing.

• MOKKA says:

It’s a freeware game in general so you don’t even have to get it from GoG.

• zeroskill says:

I’ve been reading this multiple times now that some people seem to think this game is free thanks to GoG or something. And that you would need a GoG account for some reason to play it.

I didn’t even know it was on GoG, being a freeware game in the first place, why would I? Last time I check GoG is a store and not a freeware gaming site.

Really wierd.

• MOKKA says:

It’s probably because it’s the most prominent place where you can download it. But you’re right, it’s a bit weird.

• Baf says:

The first time I ever heard of the game was when GOG mailed out an announcement that it was available on GOG now, for free. Probably a lot of other people who got that mailing had likewise never heard of it before. And if you didn’t know anything about the game when you read the announcement, it was easy to misinterpret.

4. Zanchito says:

Thank you, gentlemen.

5. Kelron says:

That screenshot really looks like someone being hanged.

• zbeeblebrox says:

Ha! Glad I’m not the only person who misinterpreted that image. I was thinking “Man, this looks pretty morbid for what Nathan’s describing…”

6. Saarlaender39 says:

Somehow, I like the original pixel-art better, than this new handdrawn one.
    But, heck…I’m a kid of the 70s, so what do I know?

• Llewyn says:

You’re not the only one. I don’t think it helps that the new style reminds me a little of whichever Professor Layton game I played.

• dontnormally says:

Please, creators, read this.

I like the original style better, too. Defined edges. Snappy movement. Betterrer.

7. jinnyjinjin says:

I downloaded this about 10 times in a day to try and get it to work. I read up about it all online. It worked up until you get control of your character after the initial segment as a child.
    The game didn’t work after that. It would just crash. No matter what I did.

Thankfully, or sadly, depending on your view, I wasn’t the only one who had the problem. The didn’t fix it so I just never considered playing it again. It’s a pity as I’ve heard it’s great.

8. thecommoncold says:

I rather enjoyed the original, it reminded me of a weird mash-up between Super Metroid gameplay in an Earthbound-esque setting, straight from the old SNES days.

I don’t want to be that guy complaining about remakes (something about gift horse’s mouths), but is anyone else bothered by how much slower the character seems to move in this new version?

9. lordfrikk says:

Really excited when I saw the article, less so after watching the video. Seems… soulless, I guess? The music is fine, but the graphics don’t do it for me at all…

10. HaikuWin says:

I literally just completed the original game today, with the 100%+ good ending and I loved it..

I’m not a big fan of the art style used in this HD remake though, I always think these things look like flash games made using clipart. Undoubtedly, some of the art is rather nice, but I don’t think it all gels well together.

For instance, if the level design is kept the same as the original give-or-take (which would be a very good thing btw) then is it really necessary to keep all of the surfaces and edges square? I assume it’s still made up of tiles even if the artwork is redone, but can’t we cover over some edges? It makes it look cheap even compared to the original, because you expect square edges if you see pixels, you think nothing of it.. Also, the change in colour for the parrot is a travesty.

Nevertheless, these are Devs I would like to support!

11. Inzimus says:

the one thing that completely went over my head with the original, was the author’s decision to [b]not[/b] charge money from it

started playing it in Alpha (beta?) stages and helped with feedback and it truly was/is an astounding adventure and a immensely enjoyable game

I gladly donate money to the guy, but this ‘remake’ doesn’t fit my tastes in art-style (as others have pointed out), since it feels unnecessary

I understand that we live in times where such classics as the Monkey Island games are getting ‘HD Remakes’, but I don’t see the use for it

the original had that 16-bit charm, which made it that much more enjoyable for those of us whom cherish that era of graphics

I guess that if he gives me a choice (as with the Monkey Island games) to change graphics during the game, then I will be more than willing to throw money at him/them, but if not – I fear that I will pay money for it either way, but only as a gesture that I support the effort and originality (i.e. here’s hoping the creator(s) will give us more titles in the future), but not because I want a HD remake of an already perfect game

12. Josh W says:

What a lovely goose.

I actually like the animation fluidity more in the original version, something doesn’t seem to have scaled up to the higher levels of graphics.