SOE Outlines PlanetSide’s Future, Wants Feedback

By Nathan Grayson on January 26th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

These days, plenty of developers talk about how they’re going to work side-by-side with their fans, but PlanetSide 2‘s actually doing it. Case in point: a newly launched Reddit-esque “Roadmap” system. In short, it outlines every last plan SOE has for the next six months in fairly exhaustive detail and then allows players to both discuss and up/down-vote based on their personal preferences. Do not, however, take this to mean SOE’s now at the beck and call of ravenously hardcore players. It promises to listen, but acting’s another story.

SOE CEO John Smedley took to, er, Reddit, actually, to explain the Reddit-like system:

“Does this mean we’re changing it to ‘the mob rules’? absolutely not. It’s just a simple tool for us to be able to gauge sentiment about a particular topic. Remember it’s still a forum thread (although with cool nested comments) and we’ll still be reading what people are actually saying. However if we list 5 topics for February and people highly vote 4 of those 5 and everyone hates on one of the ideas, it’s fair to say that’s going to get our attention.”

Thus far, well-liked standouts include a spawn room tunnel system to keep campers guessing, account-wide unlocks, a VR training area, temporary “locks” on continents one faction’s completely taken over, player-generated missions, a swamp continent, and vehicle zoning. Granted, that’s just the tip of an already looming six-month iceberg. There’s tons more where that came from, and a lot of it concerns smaller but potentially even more game-changing tweaks.

Long story short, PlanetSide’s steering the SOE ship, and SOE wants fans to – at least, in part – steer PlanetSide. If nothing else, this demonstrates serious commitment to the shooter-flavored MMO. I mean, if Smedley and co proceed to not deliver on any of this without good reason, they’ll never hear the end of it. They’ve opened up a two-way street. Here’s hoping they know what they’re getting themselves into.

, , .

1. Commissar Choy says:

Finally had the chance to enjoy Friday VS flavored shenanigans. Immense fun for a bunch of heretics.

2. Mokes says:

Stop trying to make it into e-sports and make it into Planetside.

• Xzi says:

Nothing about PS2 seems very e-sporty at all to me. The TTK is close to some other modern shooters, but that alone doesn’t come anywhere close to attracting the e-sports crowd. Needless to say, nobody wants to split a ranked prize with a team of 50+.

This is coming from someone who doesn’t like much of how PS2 turned out, but we can still be honest about it. Sure, they occasionally hold big events for PS2, but that’s par for the course with any multiplayer-focused game released these days.

3. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I guess I’ll see if I like it in 6 months then…

4. Mr. Mister says:

Does that tetrapodial structure move?

• Hanban says:

I often wish they did. There are a bunch of huge cool looking structures and guns that I wish you could interact with. Since the scale of the game is so big I often find myself wishing for some rare siege tanks to roll out. Or buildings just standing up and walking on sunderers.

• TechnicalBen says:

No. But half of them are designed with either giant wheels/tracks or giant rocket like structures. So it looks like they are orbital dropped into place.

• Syphus says:

In the fiction (and I believe this is from PS1 as well), that is exactly how they got there.

5. Arona Daal says:

Add Mumble support for locational Chat.

I know it from Project Reality which has 13 different Channels for Squadleaders/Commander/Squad/”Real Life” Local Speech.

Imho it would improve the Experience and Teamwork of *every* (Multiplayer) 3D Game,and im amazed that it is not used more widely.

6. mwoody says:

Hunh, neat idea, this. It does feel, oddly enough, like they’re “ruining the surprise” …but that’s a secondary consideration to being able to provide them input on where they expend resources.

It’s hilarious to me to see options at “0 points” though. Hopefully, message received.

On an unrelated note, it’s annoying that they only have one visual style for authenticators. I don’t want something in my pocket that says “Everquest 2″ on it.

7. machineisbored says:

Were you trying to cram as many cliches as possible into that last para? Gave me a giggle.

Haven’t got a PC that will play this at the moment (had to sell my rig when I moved to Thailand), here’s hoping the game is still going strong in 6 months or so, when I build my new hotness..

8. jellydonut says:

There’s a lot of detail and micromanagement there.. and not much in the way of player-driven storytelling, such as player-conquerable and ownable territory.

This infini-war between 3 npc factions is going to get old pretty fast, I’m disappointed they don’t even have it on the roadmap for this year.

• Asurmen says:

Surely by definition all the territory is already player-conquerable and ownable territory? :P

• meatshit says:

Territory swaps hands so easily that I don’t know if I’d consider it ownable in any meaningful way. Partly that’s because there’s no real incentive to defend territory. You only get a small amount of resources from them and most people have more than they know what to do with already.

People care far more about certs and you’ll get several times as many of them taking over territory or throwing yourself into the closest meat grinder.

• Asurmen says:

I was basically joking given how PS2 works, but in my own personal opinion, I don’t see how player owned territory would work. How and why does the player own it over anyone else or the Empire? I’m much more interested in having outfit designed bases, allowing you to design the ultimate defensive base and challenging other outfits to take you on.

9. SuicideKing says:

I hope they add a way to check ping, at least.

• fish99 says:

Yeah it’s something I’ve asked for on the forums, it’s very odd to see a multiplayer game with no ping, no packet loss indicator, basically nothing to tell you whether your connection is up to snuff.

Every so often you sink a whole clip into someone at close range to see on the death screen it did no damage, and I’m always left wondering if it’s my connection. Makes me wonder if being further away form the servers put you at a disadvantage.

10. aepervius says:

The only way I would be interrested is that if battle had a real impact, But as it is now there is no rason to fight , just the pvp eternal deathmatch. Now if the world was chaning in a significant way when fighting… That would be something else.

11. niyagamu says:

Stella. although Chad`s rep0rt is good, yesterday I bought a great new Chevrolet Corvette sincee geting a check for $6068 this past 5 weeks and-even more than, 10-k last munth. without a question it is the most financially rewarding Ive had. I started this four months/ago and immediately started to earn at least $87, per-hr. I use the details on this web-site, http://www.Cloud65.com

12. fish99 says:

I guess I must be getting better at this game because I was accused of exploiting last night when I errr…. shot someone. Just one element of playing online shooters – dealing with the obnoxious kids and sore losers.

13. Tayh says:

Well, that’s nice.
    Unfortunately, I’m stuck with ProSieben. You know, those incompetent wankers who Sony hired to take care of the EU customers.
    It’s so awesome to be treated like a second-rate citizen and never be able to take part in promotions and sales.

For everyone who’s looking to sign up to this game; make sure you join with a Sony account. To get your Sony account you may have to sign up for another SoE game, e.g. EverQuest, to avoid being redirected to ProSieben.

• Felixader says:

Wer kam überhaupt aif die beschissene Idee einen Fernsehsender dafür einzustellen.
      Ich habe seit Anfang 2009 kein Fernsehen mehr geguckt, habe ich etwas verpasst?
      Wie kommt jemand dazu EINEN FERNSEHSENDER mit dem Betrieb von Planetsite 2 zu beauftragen?
      Das macht für mich einfach keinen Sinn!

Translation: Pro Sieben is a privat German TVChannel. I haven’t watched TV since 2009 so perhabs i missed something, but i am baffled that someone would contract a TV Channel with running Planetsite 2.

• dragondrop says:

Just make sure to go to planetside2.com instead of planetside2.eu and ignore any and all attempts of the site to redirect you. It worked for me – I am in Germany and have a Station account with Station cash and everything.

14. Etherealsteel says:

Yeah that Account wide Unlock of weapons and etc is a big thing to do especially if you opt to pay for unlocking a weapon or whatever. My feelings are on the first time playing it is I don’t know what the hell to do and just dropping someone into the action at the start is not exactly the best thing to do. Most games as you start gradually show you the controls like WASD or how to crouch/jump. I think that was my pet peev with it, took some time before I actually got the hang of it. Didn’t know there was a resource restriction on vehicles or even I should use a vehicle until later. The Tutorial video’s they put out later helped, but was a little late.

15. postwar says:

I want to, really want to play this game but it just won’t let me log in. Every time I try to do so, it says I’ve an incorrect password in spite of resetting the password multiple times.

• losludvig says:

you might want to check if your password is longer than 15(-ish) characters – when you change your password and type in more than accepted, it will gladly ignore (or overwrite) any excess characters without feeling the need to point anything out to the user