Kickstarter Katchup – 27th January 2013

By Adam Smith on January 27th, 2013 at 6:10 pm.

This week, spaceships are constructed, nobody loses and the Katchup features an open source 3D engine Linux port, which certainly sounds like the sort of thing that should be happening but also makes me realise how little I know about the availability of engine licenses and the complexities of game development. Maybe I’ll ask Jim to teach me, although I reckon most of his input on Sir, You Are Being Hunted involves polite requests for ‘more robots and tea’. A belated mention for Radio The Universe as well, which shot past its funding goal last week and looks excellent.

The Rules

• Featuring a game in this list doesn’t mean we endorse it. We likely haven’t played, and as such can’t say whether it will be worth your cash. That’s your call.
  • Letting me know about a game (which you can do via my name at the top of this article) doesn’t mean it will definitely be included. Leaving links in the comments is a good way to let other readers know about projects, but please email me if you want them considered for the list. Include the word Kickstarter in the subject line too if you care about making my life even slightly easier.
  • We only include games where pledges reach developers only if the target is met.
  • Projects asking for fifty billion dollars, with 45c in pledges, fall off the list eventually. It gives more space for other games.
  • Projects that have reached their funding get included in the Winners list, and then aren’t featured in the weeks after that, to give more attention to those that are still needing the cash. Tough if you don’t like it.
  • Be aware that there are two currencies in play. Always check!
  • Do not tap on the Katchup’s glass. Projects are easily startled.

The Winners

Skyjacker – DIGITILUS

Goal: $30,000
Now: $36,131

Third time’s a charm for Skyjacker. The funding will permit development of the Starship Constructor, a fundamental part of the complete space game, which is due for release in August. The Constructor features more than 100 ships and there is already a playable demo of the full game available.

The Losers

Nothing to see here.

The Players

Homesick – Lucky Pause

Goal: $8,000
Now: $6,663
Days: 22

Atmospheric first-person adventure games are increasingly common, or at least it feels that way. Although set in an abandoned building rather than across an island, Homesick has some of Dear Esther’s beauty, although it has puzzles to go with the narrative and scenery. The derelict building is the only setting, but it will be viewed in both the bleakness of daylight and through the scorched, oozing filter of nightmares, whenever the player character is inclined to sleep.

Port Torque 3D to Linux – GarageGames

Goal: $29,487
Now: $8,437
Days: 8

I suspect I’m going to be writing a lot more about Linux over the next twelve months than I have in the previous twelve years. There are many reasons to be optimistic for the system’s growth as a gaming platform and this campaign could be a contributor, bringing across the Torque 3D engine, originally used in the Tribes series.

We want Linux to be a first-class citizen for game developers. We recently open sourced Torque 3D under the MIT license, and the first deluge of questions were about Linux compatibility. The move to open source Torque was something that the founders of GarageGames wanted to do over 10 years ago, but they also needed a business model for their studio.

The 90′s Arcade Racer – Pelikan13

Goal: £10,000
Now: £7,911
Days: 21

Here’s wot I said about this arcade throwback earlier in the week:

As is traditional in racing games, cars wot go fast will attempt to outdo one another but the nineties heritage means there will be blue skies above, aquariums at the side of the track and animatronic dinosaurs looming overhead. The funding will help to improve car handling, as well as providing time to complete two more tracks to add to the one that is already completed.

I expect we might be seeing some stretch goals soon. Speaking of stretch goals, there’s an interview with Monaco designer Andy Schatz over at the Penny Arcade Report that is worth looking at. Here’s a sample:

I’m really glad for the people that have been really successful on Kickstarter, and don’t get me wrong, I really like the idea of free money, but I’m of the opinion that designing a game around a variable budget is a terrible way to design a game. To be frank, I think that stretch goals are total bullshit.

Artizens – Artizens, Inc.

Goal: $30,000
Now: $18,647
Days: 21

Online, co-op monster-basher Artizens appears to quote phrases from several games – Shadow of the Colossus, Terraria, Super Smash Bros to name a few – but it’s one of those rare games that I’m fairly sure I’ve never played an equivalent of before. The variety and intelligence of the enemies will be vital, and more information about combat is expected soon.

We’ll be doing more updates on Kickstarter to dive into the specifics of some of the systems that aren’t explored much in the video or page like how missions work, what levels are like, what makes our combat system tick, and what content you can expect in the summer alpha.

Terminus – Harbour Games

Goal: $25,000
Now: $2,560
Days: 24

Terminus takes its conceptual cues from Outpost but hopes to execute planetary colonisation in a superior fashion. With this and Unclaimed World, it’s an exciting time for interstellar pioneers, although given Terminus’ low target and planned November release, I’d be interested to see some early footage to go with the ideas. That said, there is a new video this week, which you can see below.

Fortis Rex – Ancient Realms Studios

Goal: $7,000
Now: $3,450
Days: 12

There’s some new footage of the ‘army-commanding RPG’, which as I noted last week, looks like the closest thing to Mount and Blade since Mount and Blade: Hoof and Hilt. You can watch the video here. Currently, the team are concentrating on the army command system and we might see something playable before the campaign finishes:

We will have the beta out in either the end of January or the beginning of February and then a demo in March or April. We still have some work to do on the combat system(bug fixes).

Wildman – Gas Powered Games

Goal: $1,100,000
Now: $328,190
Days: 19

Despite all the troubles that he has already experienced, Wildman is stomping along and hoping to grace us with his prehistoric presence in March 2014. New tiers have been added this week, at $5 and $10, but neither will procure you a Wildman of your own. The first provides full forum access post-Kickstarter and ten dollars grants the pledger beta access, although the full game must be paid for upon release.

Unwritten: That Which Happened – Roxlou Games

Goal: $75,000
Now: $23,490
Days: 16

Kickstarter has hosted many turn-based titles, and Unwritten and Meriwether are the most interesting I can remember seeing for a good few months. Unwritten is easy to describe – “A journey across procedurally generated tundra to meet a god” – but it’s rather more difficult to imagine how it will actually play. An extensive update goes into detail about the various mechanics and it makes the wait for funding and release all the more difficult to endure:

A story fragment is the result of a critical decision your clan made. For example, each time your clan participates in a “story event” (a tile that fires off an interactive tableau told out with shadow puppets), the decision you make there converts to a token you take with you, indicating what you decided to do.

Neocolonialism – Sub Altern Games

Goal: $10,000
Now: $7,675
Days: 6

Success isn’t yet guaranteed for this game of strategic corporate unpleasantness, although a newly updated alpha may help to convince potential pledgers. Along with that release, there is news of a talk by designer Seth Alter at PAX East:

I hate most educational games, and I say that as a games developer and as a former middle school math teacher. They are almost always terrible fusions of boring gameplay and misleading content. To me, Neocolonialism, in addition to being a really awesome game and political statement, represents a fundamentally new flavor of educational games: one that does not make design compromises, but rather endeavors to be something meaningful and profound.

Dreadline – Eerie Canal

Goal: $167,000
Now: $20,446
Days: 4

The impending failure of Dreadline’s Kickstarter is disheartening, although not as disheartening as the concept of the game itself. Monsters travel through time to the scenes of famous disasters and ensure that everybody dies. You control the monsters. Or at least, you might be able to control them if $147,000 arrives in the Eerie Canal over the next four days. It seems impossible but I, for one, want to believe.

, .

1. Premium User Badge FriendlyFire says:

I think the Wildman idea of giving beta access cheaper could be potentially good… assuming it also gives you a discount on the full game’s price. Something like $10 now and then you only have to pay $10 (or however much depending on the final price) if you want the full game, as opposed to $10 now and $20 then.

It could be an interesting way of attracting people who are uncertain about the game; they can try it in beta and then buy the full game if they like what they see. As it is though I suspect few will want to pay solely for beta access.

2. SuicideKing says:

Terminus always reminds me of the Foundation.

Kind of seemed interesting. Though i’d really love to see a space sim or colonizing RTS game set in:

1. The FreeSpace universe
    2. The Star Wars universe
    3. The Foundation universe

I wish there was a combination of FreeSpace, Foundation, Star Wars, Star Citizen, Halo, Age of Empires and Waking Mars, set in our own galaxy. I want to lead squads (over air, land, sea and space), colonize planets, deal with galactic politics, drive the human race through some sort of history, create a new history unique to my game, pick a specific role, etc.

And promotion and all would work, so if you’re a pilot then you eventually become Admiral and command a fleet and get to walk around a ship and so on. If you’re a colonizer then you can say, become the leader of your fraction and people and so on.

It drives me nuts about all the possibilities that can come to virtual reality in the Space Game genre.

Though a part of me just wants FreeSpace 3… :3

• Premium User Badge Joshua says:

Love your name. 242nd right?

I’d actually would like the idea of a Freespace themed 4x game – first you have several races duking it out, and inevetably an endgame occurs where players will be forced to give up territory to a nearly unstoppable invader. Letting the guy who owns the most territory win allows for really interesting betrayals and makeshift alliances.

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

He’s not called SuicideKing for nothing, commenter. He earns that name with every post.

• SuicideKing says:

Haha yes! The 242nd. Epic name. Blue Lions kind of sounds like a football team or something at times. No disrespect to Alpha 1 and his squad of course ;)

Yeah that would be real fun…make it multiplayer and throw in a SquadWar component, so that you can play over a few days or weeks with your friends (who’d command other races). Anarchy! Or Order? What if you could set up Galaxia to fight the Shivans?

But man. The influence of FreeSpace can be seen from Mass Effect to Halo.

3. djbriandamage says:

Ken Allen, composer for Sierra and other developers of yore, is Kickstarting an album of golden oldies and derivative works of old video game themes. His project was successfully funded in just 2 days!

4. hatseflats says:

I think Win 8 is a disaster and it made me realise we really need an alternative OS. Linux it is, so I put my money where my mouth is and contributed to the Torque to Linux campaign. I hope it works out.

• Acorino says:

good point. just contributed a modest sum of my own.

• Teovald says:

Skimmed the list, missed that one.
      Off to pledge for that project !
      Windows 8 is indeed pretty catastrophic, MacOsX is also evolving less and less in a direction that satisfy me, my next computer will run Linux.

• Prime says:

Win 8 is fine here. What’s the problem with it, chaps?

• drewski says:

It features a walled garden. You have to pay Microsoft to get access to the useability features of the new interface – if you don’t fork over 30% of your revenue by using their app store, you get stuck in the old desktop, without the tiles, active updating etc.

It means independent digital distributors are essentially locked out of Metro, and that for independent developers to get access to the majority of the userbase who will stick with the new interface, they are forced to use Microsoft distribution if they want visibility.

It’s not so much that the OS itself is non-functioning – it’s that Microsoft have locked anyone who just uses Win8 without actively thinking about it behind a paywall, which is fundamentally opposed to the open access philosophy behind Windows in the first place. It’s worse than Apple, the previous kings of the walled garden, have even tried – on Apple systems you can still get full access to the desktop and program bar without using iTunes, but not on Win8. You want your program to be as easy to access as possible? You have to buy off Microsoft.

• djbriandamage says:

“on Apple systems you can still get full access to the desktop and program bar without using iTunes, but not on Win8.”

Metro\Modern isn’t the whole OS, though. I’m running Steam perfectly fine on Win8. I say Win8 is the best OS out there right now and that’s why I use it.

• malkav11 says:

I don’t think open access has ever been the ethos behind Windows.

• b2201847 says:

It’s something to do with the way physics are calculated in games is my guess: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4935510

• LionsPhil says:

Any successful platform needs applications. There’s a reason Microsoft gave Visual Studio away for almost-free to students for years, and more recently free to everyone as an Express version. If random programs you can find on any old hobbist webpage need Windows to run, and the programmers coming out of education know how to write for Windows, that sells copies of Windows.

• malkav11 says:

Sure, but Microsoft has always wanted you writing specifically for Windows, with Microsoft applications and Microsoft libraries and APIs. And they’ve always been keen to use that OS monopoly (or near monopoly) to push other Microsoft products like Internet Explorer. Windows 8 and Metro certainly seem more egregious than previous sallies, but it’s an outgrowth of an established trend, not a sea change.

• Prime says:

It’s not ideal for developers, no, but only if they want to use the Metro UI. They’re still perfectly free to develop for regular desktop Windows which is still, in my opinion, the better experience for most things that aren’t content-consumption widgets or touch-based games.

And I would argue that users are not “locked behind” any kind of paywall. Barring the requirement for a Live account to access Metro UI apps we have the same options we always did, only spread across two UIs now. I haven’t paid for anything from Microsoft since I got Win 8 and I have all the Metro apps I could ever want.

A couple of unproven assumptions there. The majority of the userbase of Windows 8 will easily recognise that they have a choice of UI – they’re not locked into Metro. The desktop tile is right there on their start screen, it’s by no means hidden from them. So developers are NOT restricted to begging cap-in-hand to Microsoft for access to Metro functionality just to reach Windows 8 users. They can still release software for the old desktop paradigm which I seriously doubt will be dying out any time soon.

I also get irked by people trying to assert which company is worse, Apple or Microsoft. Apple started the entire walled-garden phenomenon but because Microsoft learn from the drubbing this gave them and perhaps improved on it (I’m not convinced their way is any worse than what Apple have been doing for years) they’re suddenly “way worse” than Apple? Oh please. Isn’t time we outgrew this schoolyard fetish for demonising/saintifying software companies?

I’ve really enjoyed Windows 8 since I got it – it’s a decent enough improvement over Windows 7 – and all the pissing and moaning seems to me to be just sour grapes and nit-picking from people who have never liked Microsoft and see another chance to put the boot in.

• jalf says:

Did you read the comment you replied to? It wasn’t about developers being locked out of *Windows*, but being locked out of the Metro UI — unless they want to give Microsoft 20-30% of their revenue.

I think that’s a fair assessment of the situation.
            You’re right that we’re still free to use the Desktop UI as always… But no one disputed that, so I’m not sure how that’s relevant.

• Prime says:

Did YOU read the comment I replied to?

Read it again. Then you might see the points I was replying to. I also made some general, positive points about Windows 8 to try and counter the largely negative slant of the thread.

5. MrLebanon says:

Backing Torque 3D for linux and Neocolonialism so I can tell people I stuck it to the man today

• Premium User Badge Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Yeah, take that, The Man! My last breath I spit at thee!

• Premium User Badge Rikard Peterson says:

Admittedly, it’s been a while since I last looked at Torque (I’ve decided to stick with 2d a while longer, but I’d probably have chosen Unity if I’d gone 3d when I thought about that), but my impression of GarageGames has been that they pretty much are “the man”. They did not exactly seem the friendliest of companies.

But it is very possible that I got the wrong impression, or that things have changed in the past year or so.

• Citrus says:

It isn’t wrong impression. GarageGames is nothing but a bunch of theiving bastards selling buggy shit for ages now. Only fanboys and complete idiots waste time with their engine now. The moment they started censoring and removing any negative blog posts from legal owners of the crap they sold, that was the moment GG started dying.

Do note how their older engine (1.5) was advertised being perfect for Mac and Linux as well. It only worked fine on Windows and required fuckload of bug-fixing to actually work on anything other than Windows.

So supporting these thieves is a good idea if you have too much money to waste.

6. Lanfranc says:

“Terminus takes its conceptual cues from Outpost but hopes to execute planetary colonisation in a superior fashion.”

At least they can’t do that much worse than Outpost. That wasn’t a very good game. Great concept and ideas, but man, the execution…

7. InternetBatman says:

I didn’t even know Torque was still supported. While Age of Decadence was made in it, I thought Unity was easier to use and already multiplatform.

• Kaira- says:

Frozen Synapse also uses it. But the thing is, Torque began as Linux/Mac/Windows game engine, and then actually regressed to the point of dropping Linux.

• LionsPhil says:

Seriously? So how much of their “we’ve always wanted to do this, but have lacked the business case” spiel is lies?

• Citrus says:

Like I posted before. GG lies like that always. They advertised their older engines to be Mac and Linux compatible while it only worked on Windows.

DO NOT support these people. Bunch of thieves and liars who started censoring any negative posts from paid customers long time ago.

Every decision they make is based on how much money they can squeeze out of idiots while doing as little work as possible themselves. Go use Unity (if you want Linux as well) or UDK (for Mac and Windows) or something else.

• Clean3d says:

Here’s what I half-remember-but-am-too-lazy-to-research:
          In the beginning there was the Torque Game Engine, which was cross-platform. Eventually they added some substantial new functionality which made the Windows port superior and called it “Torque Game Engine Advanced”. They quit updating the Mac OS and Linux ports, but advertised “community-maintained” cross platform support. I’m guessing this was around the time DirectX had a perceived advantage over OpenGL, and it made business sense to target it more exclusively.

Regarding the censorship, I remember reading that the staff involved with that are no longer at GarageGames. That happened before I started following Torque closer, though, so I could be completely wrong.

I gather a number of licensees were upset when GarageGames decided to release Torque as open source, though. Specifically, those that purchased the engine close to the announcement but who were denied a refund were rather miffed. I’m not really sure how that could have been handled better. They offered refunds for licenses purchased within several weeks of the announcement. No matter when they set that date, there were likely to be some people who just barely missed out.

Really, I think any truth to the claim that they are greedy disappeared when they released their engine as open-source.

I have high hopes for GarageGames and the Torque engine. There’s a big difference between exporting your game from Windows and hoping it works and having your entire toolset be cross-platform. I’ve held the opinion for some time that excellent IDE’s and developer tools are far more important to the success of Linux as a game platform than the games themselves, and Torque3D MIT seems like a step in the right direction; even if their past is unflattering.

• bab says:

(Apologies for spelling/grammer/sense-making mistakes, it’s very late where I am and I’ve hyped up on Red Bull)

As a long term user of Torque for personal and Uni projects, I can attest that almost any developers relation to them is at least a little shaky. They decided to (or were forced to) drop support for Linux back in 2004 with their TGEA engine (Then called either Torque Shader Engine or Torque Advanced Technology, can’t remember how many name changes it went through). This was mostly because of their focus on DirectX and (what was then) high-tech visuals. They wrote a nifty rendering abstraction layer that >theoretically< allowed licensees to write their own renderers and port the engine to any platform – but guess how many did (that shared their implementation). They eventually decided to put a little focus back on Mac support which worked (but was shaky, you can't compile TGEA1.8.2 out of the box without tweaking some config files and rebuilding the XCode solution with their scripts) right up until they released Torque 3D – the newest version of the engine. Then OpenGL and Mac support fell far behind despite promises that they would work on it until the Mac/GL port was up to par with Win/DX. Then their parent company dropped them and they were in financial/existential limbo for a couple of months.

Now, as someone who develops primarily on a Mac, this had me worried as what constitutes the current Mac 'port' is unusable. When GarageGames returned (reverting their ridiculous moniker of 'TorquePowered by InstantAction') they began selling licences for $99 and promised development would continue as normal. Then they said the Mac port wouldn't be continuing because they couldn't find a capable OpenGL or Cocoa programmer for their team. Having bought the engine explicitly for multi-platform development, this was irritating to say the least. I moved to other engines (mostly Unity, more recently UDK and IdTech 4). Which I'm a little sad about, because behind the broken development promises and hacky incomplete code, Torque is a really, really good engine for experienced programmers. It's super easy to prototype in, TorqueScript is a breeze to use and the engine architecture is simple to understand and build on (once you get used to the client/server paradigm).

Am I contributing to the kick-starter? Honestly, no. I still use my old licences to the previous versions that work multi-platform, and am spending the time I used to been waste hoping they finally release a Mac update learning newer game dev tools. They say that a proper Linux port will open the doors for community OSX support, but I would rather spend my time making my games than porting and fixing another engine with no promises the port will steadily developed with the rest of the engine. That's the point, really – their entire attitude to the community has been 'We know this is an essential feature of a modern engine, but you have the source – do it yourself!' and by palming the engine onto the open source community, they've taken their attitude to its logical conclusion.

• Clean3d says:

Thanks for the clarification, bab! I would really like Torque to fill the niche in open-source game creation that Blender does for 3D content creation (yes I know Blender has a game engine. I prefer not to use it), but it sounds like it has a way to go before it will accomplish that. I remain hopeful.

• Premium User Badge Naum says:

Unity is not Open Source, though, which limits extensibility, and the development tools (in contrast to the actual game) don’t seem to be available on Linux. The latter is probably what Torque’s campaign page refers to when mentioning a rather tedious testing process with Linux-ready but non-native engines. At least for a layman like me, their arguments seem to make sense, and I suppose more engine competition on any platform should only be a good thing.

8. RTRubinas says:

This Cryamore project is blowing up quick…

The stretch goals make me a little nervous. I like my old schooly-like rpg characters to speak only through text. But the game is pretty, and this thing is going to reach it’s goal soon. Very soon.

• botonjim says:

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!

They had me at “Zelda” and “little to no handholding”.

• Teovald says:

Sadly, this game looks extremely uninspired to me. I guess the appeal is in the revival of snes games..

• Hatsworth says:

Indeed, pretty big omission.

• Lemming says:

Fun pitch video! I wont back it as it seems they’ll hit their target no problem, but colour me ‘buyer’ when it’s released.

9. lordcooper says:

How the hell are Dreadline and Unwritten not doing way better?

• abandonhope says:

I’m not getting it, either. It seems like activity is low across the video games section.

• InternetBatman says:

I suspect that Dreadline is a bit ghastly for most peoples’ tastes.

• JFS says:

Dreadline looked nice from the first glimpses we got at its art and at that great trailer. However, now that Kickstarter brought actual gameplay footage, I personally have to say the game itself looks rather boring. Maybe they just picked the wrong pieces, but I’m not gonna risk my money to find out whether this is just a bland one-button-wonder with nice art.

• Arren says:

Backed Unwritten at first sight (only one so far in 2013). Couldn’t care less about Dreadline.

10. Slinkyboy says:

Had to back Neocolonialism after watching that Pax video. He’s a really smart dude.

11. nekoneko says:

I backed Artizens at the 40 dollar level simply because they namechecked Monster Hunter as an inspiration. The world needs more apologetically tough but fair games.

• Premium User Badge Harlander says:

Apologetically tough?

“Dreadfully sorry, old bean, but you didn’t quite come up to snuff this time!”

12. Alien426 says:

I realize Inherit The Earth 2′s pitch video sucks big time…

…but I still like the original. Just look at the screenshots: http://www.mobygames.com/game/inherit-the-earth-quest-for-the-orb/screenshots

• LionsPhil says:

Oh dear god.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I didn’t know furries even existed back in that era.

• Alien426 says:

As far as I know this has nothing to do with furries. Think of it as a fable. Just anthropomorphic animals.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s incredibly furry, right down to the mystical precursor humans and red foxes in wuv, and they’ve been around as an organized group since at least the early ’80s.

• Teovald says:

I don’t know the original, the pitch for the second one sounds like it could be interesting but the presentation of the project sucks tremendously. It is not mandatory to spend 10 000 $ on a kickstarter video (even if it helps, many less than stellar ideas have been funded thanks to nice videos), but describing what you want to do is the minimum.

13. pottering says:

I would like RPS to investigate this:
    They ask money ($50000) to “save Homeworld” .
    The thing is, it is a “Flexible Funding campaign” .
    That means that , EVEN IF IT FAILS, the money pledged gets charged from the people who fund it , THEY DON”T GET REFUNDED (it is around $10000 right now).
    Maybe I’m paranoid, but this could be really bad for Indiegogo and crowdfunding games in general…

ref: http://www.indiegogo.com/how-pricing-works-on-indiegogo

• Snargelfargen says:

Don’t forget the part where they don’t actually own the rights to Homeworld. They are planning to buy them from the THQ break-up, but they are uncertain when or if the rights will be sold:

“Inactive properties such Homeworld were to be sold off at a future auction. We need your help to increase our chances at this next auction! When is this auction? The banker we talked to was not able to give us a specific date, nor was he certain that his bank would still be involved in future proceedings. This means we may even have less time for fundraising than the currently listed date. So please, help and spread the word early”

That’s right, the Indiegogo money will be used to purchase the rights and perhaps developing the game if there is any cash left.

The team also has no experience publishing games, although I guess that makes them true indies:

“teamPixel is an interactive media company, and for over 8 years we have specialized in web design, web development, desktop software, and mobile applications. Yes, this means we are relatively new to the gaming industry (we actually have made games on commission for local companies), but entering the video game industry for ourselves was always a goal for the company. “

• pottering says:

Yeah, I agree 100%.
        Before I understood what “Flexible Funding campaign” actually means, I wasn’t caring much (it’s going to fail to reach the goal IMO), but now I know this is going to cost decent people real moneez….
        Also, the way it is worded looks like they are not even promising anything if they reach $50000, just “Our minimum goal. To us, this is only the beginning of our mission together.”

edit: And it is so conveniently short (10 days left).

• Snargelfargen says:

I would love to see another Homeworld game too, I just don’t want the brand being to tied to a (potentially) sinking ship and those guys don’t give me a lot of confidence :-(

I think their money would be better spent on a Homeworld-like game, without the brand.

• abandonhope says:

This and Black Isle’s PV13 demonstrate that there will always be people too stupid to comprehend what it is they’re backing. I don’t feel bad for them. In this case, you’d simply have to read the description to realize what a terrible, unlikely idea this is. I had no idea this many morons even played Homeworld.

• pottering says:

Yeah, but pretty much every scam is like that, does not mean we should keep quiet and let a scammer be rewarded.

• abandonhope says:

Absolutely not. I was going to post about it on the forum, but someone already had, and rightly warned people away from it. I’m not convinced it’s an intentional scam, but it sure seems to operate like one. I’d pay a couple bucks to see these people not secure the rights to Homeworld, that is if I thought they had any chance of doing so.

While the campaign is using the flexible funding model, they mention refunds (fees at their expense) if it doesn’t work out. Seeing as how they probably won’t even reach $50k, if this is at all legitimate I imagine they’re going to want to cancel the campaign before it ends so as not to have to eat any of those costs. If it gets to the end and they don’t, it’s going to be pretty clear what their intentions were.

• excel_excel says:

Yeah that ‘Flexible Funding campaign’ really just rubs me the wrong way.
      I saw one youtuber who does letsplays do a Indie Gogo for a game with a $20,000 goal, http://www.indiegogo.com/Project-Roxivia and of course it had flexible funding. There hasn’t been ANY updates on the page, there’s been no update since March of last year on the facebook page. Some fools have donated $1000 to this non existent project. the shit cheery on top of that? it was $200 to get a copy of the game. Its been abandoned now as far as I’m aware.

• MeestaNob says:

It’s a ridiculous situation.

Flexible funding means: “Oh, we didn’t raise enough to buy the Homeworld IP, guess we’ll just keep the money then.”

In my opinion, by offering this type of funding model in a situation such as this Indiegogo are responsible for people being ripped off, even if those people should KNOW BETTER.

• guygodbois00 says:

I second this

14. Zeewolf says:

“Wildman is stomping along” – more like limping. It’s not looking very likely that it’ll reach the target.

15. Premium User Badge Rikard Peterson says:

Acts 26:14? “Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?” …? Can someone explain the header of this article?

16. Premium User Badge Revisor says:

There is also a restart of the KS for Days of Dawn. Light RPG/adventure with a very intriguing magic system based on the characters emotions.

When hit in combat, your rage increases channeling stronger combat magic while your companion’s compassion increases strengthening their healing magic.

I already backed it because this really interests me.

17. Xocrates says:

It saddens me greatly that Unwritten appears to essentially have stalled.

• abandonhope says:

Hopefully the forthcoming update will be persuasive. I was sold on the concept right away, and the gameplay a bit later, once it was fully explained.

I think they just need to show the sort of sample assets that make potential backers want to play as a tribe journeying across the tundra. If certain aspects play like a collectible card game, the “cards” should be appealing and understandable, even if it’s just a few of them. As it is, the overall pitch is still a little too conceptual.

18. ACE454 says:

Terminus and Homesick, I got you.

• Harbour Games says:

From all of us on the Terminus Project, thanks ACE454!

19. Rsharr says:

Hey guys! Posting to let everyone know ROAM, a base building survival action game, has recently launched on Kickstarter!

With all the recent Gas Powered Games lay off news in the media, this might bring a little positive energy to the situation! I was a former employee who worked on Age of Empires Online doing most of the unit’s 3D models/textures. Now I’m 1 man on a 2 man team!

You can check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roam/roam

Thanks!

• abandonhope says:

Fancy that, actual prototype gameplay, and a fair bit of it at that. It sounds like a Project Zomboid/Dead State/The Dead Linger mashup, but clearly out of the concept phase and well onto being its own thing.

I backed. I want to craft until my hands bleed.

20. f_zul says:

No mention of Akaneiro? They still have a few days to go.