Simulated City: Cities In Motion 2 In Motion, Too

By Alec Meer on January 28th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

No official screenies = YouTube capture = everyone feels a bit let down

The law of YouTube game trailer comments: amidst all the poison, the inexplicable arguments about race and the depressing evidence that learning the three simple rules of apostrophe usage really is beyond most of the English-speaking world, there will be one person claiming that witnessing footage of this videogame caused him to ejaculate there and then. Step forward excited Cities In Motion 2 fan Drag0nfoxx, whose reaction to a sixty-second video of an urban-planning videogame was for his penis to fill with blood and his brain to send a signal to his testicles ordering that it was time to express semen and thus bring about reproduction. Biology is a beautiful thing. “I think I just came in my´╗┐ pants”, quoth he, this rare poet of our electronic times.

I think I just watched some footage of Cities In Motion 2, and then thought it looked both very pretty and slightly stark. But maybe I just have a low sex drive.

Clearly, the Paradox-published, Colossal Order developed Cities In Motion 2 will be in competition with EA’s upcoming Sim City reboot, though as far as I can tell this one isn’t doing the multi-city thing of Maxis’ effort. CIM2 is also rather more transport focused, offering the likes of “scheduling of timetables” and “adjustment of fares” for “transportation enthusiasts.”

Scheduling of timetables? I think I just came in my pants.

(Actually I’m quite glad that, not only are we getting two city sims in the same year, but they’re doing two rather different takes on the concept rather than being simply similar. Spoilt for choice, and all that).

Cities in Motion 2 will be released in ‘Q2′ of this year. I think that means fairly soon.

, , , .

1. sweetjer says:

the notion of that trailer evoking that sort of response reminds me of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Hd-mD0yu8 … Oh, my god! Look at those daily timetables!

• Wreckdum says:

GOD I’D LOVE TO HAVE DINNER IN THAT!

• juanaricky3 says:

If you think Michelle`s story is nice…, last munth my daughter in law basically also earnt $4407 workin a fifteen hour week from there apartment and the’re neighbor’s sister-in-law`s neighbour has been doing this for seven months and made more than $4407 parttime on their labtop. the advice from this website..Read about

2. Leaufai says:

It’s a management game sure, but solely about transportation. It’s not a city-building game like SimCity. Think Transport Tycoon.

• Hurracane says:

Exactly, you don’t build the cities. Just manage every aspect of the transportation.

• teermeriea says:

iPhone 5/4S / 4 / 3GS Repair Parts! The iPhone is the most popular cell phone on the market and as Apple continues to provide more features and functionality this drop down in these devices, the wholesale price of the cheapest iPhone accessories! http://url.vsofte.ru/74i

• BobbyDylan says:

Transport Tycoon, what a brilliant game that was. We need another Transport Tycoon.

• Mortomes says:

It’s called OpenTTD

• MentatYP says:

Oh man, thanks for the heads-up on OpenTTD. Installed it, fired it up, and she’s a beaut! As soon as I can dedicate some time to relearning the Transport Tycoon mechanics I’ll be sinking some serious time into this.

3. Captain Hijinx says:

Not gonna lie, this game has me pretty hard.

4. BurningPet says:

Liked the first, i hope this sequel brings some more challenge and versatility. the biggest problem the first one had was the fact that the second you built a metro you won.

5. Guest_84592 says:

Time tables are really something essential most transportation simulation games have been missing.

The more recent A-Train instalments somewhat implement it, and for the people with a slightly autistic side there is JB BAHN (someone implemented the entire public transport train schedule of my state (not US) in that), but this one looks promising.

Although I was slightly disappointed with the first Cities in Motion for non game-related issues.
    Tying the retail copy to steam, while they are distributing it DRM free elsewhere is not a nice move, and the metro station DLC removed any kind of goodwill from my mind.
    Well, I hope they do better this time.

• SAM-site says:

Are the recent A-Trains any good?

I’ve been having the urge to reinstall the disappointing Railroads! again recently but would far sooner play something better.

6. Fishstick says:

I realize this is not the best place, but how do I go about getting permission to post on the RPS forums? I dont see anything in the rules about some extra registration, and I have an account there, but I can’t post in any threads.

Support so far hasn’t replied, and I’d really like to partake. Any samaritans care to help out?

• Lytinwheedle says:

I’m glad I’m not the only person with that problem. Same here and no clue how to fix it.

• MayhemMike says:

hm, strange, I just registered there and it worked instantly without any problems.

Did you guys get the verification mail?

• Lytinwheedle says:

No, never did, but I don’t think it landed in the spam folder either. There isn’t a way of requesting another, is there?

• Fishstick says:

Turns out that was it. It was in the spam folder – I feel like an idiot now.

It gets resent every few days, I think

• Dozer says:

I also lost the registration email to the Googlemail spam folder. All sorted now, except I have nothing worthwhile to say on the forums.

• myelbows says:

I’d like to add that I’m confused as to why a separate login is needed to reply to articles than is needed for the forums??

(I too had lost the registration email to the Google Spam folder. Oddly though, the registration email for the forums was not lost to the Spam folder. /shrug)

7. Ravelle says:

Never played the first game, is it any good?

• Fishstick says:

The original is okay if you’re into deep mass-transit sims. There’s no editing the given map whatsoever, and little over-the-years progress other than a few buildings appearing. You’ll have a hard time making profit as well unless you’re already aware of the intricacies in the game (ie: avoid left-turns on routes).

As a pure mass-transit sim it’s quite nice since your ‘sims’ have specific origins and destinations, and they’ll gladly take several mass-transit routes (bus to metro to bus ) to get to work or entertainment as long as it’s set up correctly.

• The Random One says:

The main problem with the original CiM is the engine. It makes connecting tram and metro lines a nightmare, because you can’t have a piece of track curve/split and change height at the same time. Trying to use both underground and aboveground metro stations is especially tricky, since metro stations are lower than you might realize when eyeballing. I have made several lines that ended up resembling rollercoasters.

It’s still pretty cool because of the realistic sim behaviour, as my chap above mentioned.

• Ravelle says:

I recognize the height problem with the Roller coaster tycoon games, so many dollars wasted because perception!

• Dozer says:

CiM The First infuriated me. There’s a bug (which AFAIK still exists) where a vehicle will wait for passengers who are halfway through boarding, but allowing new passengers to begin boarding during this wait. If the vehicle is a metro train, and the station is busy (and the station IS busy), this means the train doesn’t leave the station until it’s completely full. Meanwhile the platform is blocked.

So the train leaves the first station completely full. At the second station, there are 200 passengers, but only 5 people get off the train, so the train leaves with 195 angry passengers still on the platform. You buy more trains, but it doesn’t help – they just get stuck behind the first train, and also leave the first station completely full.

In real life, the doors open. Then a buzzer sounds, then the doors shut and the train leaves. They don’t hold the doors open for last-minute arrivals – those people can wait for the next train!

I found this bug to be game-breaking.

Another serious problem was the poor balancing. The day-1 DLC introduced 5 new vehicles (one of each category), but the characteristics of the vehicles meant they didn’t actually offer any new choices. Every vehicle was either absolutely superior or absolutely inferior to the existing vehicles.

I have a suspicion CiM 1 is mainly a vehicle for DLC, for people who want to see their favourite buses and trains going round a city, a train-set simulator more than a transport simulator. I lost patience and quit years ago though so maybe it is different now.

8. Shuck says:

Well, I just watched a video in my pants. I guess I should put some trousers on.

9. mrmalodor says:

Welp…I’m not fond of this franchise, but EA’s forced me to give it a try, since I won’t be playing SC any time soon.

10. TimMc says:

Why can’t these two games just mate and make a better game?

• JaminBob says:

Just imagine the resource implications! All of these games are a hog, even Prison Architect slows my more than competent laptop down. Think of all the maths! :-O

• Koozer says:

She cannae take all these maths Cap’n! She just doesnae have the power!

11. JaminBob says:

Oh man, there is no way that will work on my laptop given how good it looks and what a hog the first one is.

12. MOKKA says:

Alec should get an award for the first paragraph of this post.

Bluerps says:

Yes! And if there is no appropriate award, one should be invented immediately!

13. Danny252 says:

My response was to swear at the bus driver in the middle lane, going slower than the cars either side of him, at 00:30. I have problems.

(They’re called “other drivers”!)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

L’enfer, c’est les autres chauffeurs. – Sartre

• LionsPhil says:

Driving, like using the Internet, exposes you the uncomfortable reality that a high proportion of other people are jerks.

14. The Random One says:

I’m amazed we don’t have a pun thread in here yet. Usually it takes a lot less for RPS’ers to start ejaculating double entendres.

15. satsui says:

I’ve been beta testing this game. Unfortunately I can’t say a whole lot about it yet, but I will say that there are many features that massively improve this game from the previous one. However, I think that some of the interface is a little too confusing and the timetable feature is just beyond comprehension.

16. Gwilym says:

Caused him to ejaculate there and then? Presumptuous. I thought RPS was above this sort of lazy, sexist stereotyping.

17. uh20 says:

55 correct apostrophes and counting, good work mates.

18. Dachannien says:

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have a new city sim game that lets me build my own freeways. Now, evidently, my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Uh, would you remind me what I pay you people for? Honestly?

19. PedroBraz says:

The first one have some annoying details that affects the simulation as a whole for instance – vehicles cannot overtake a waiting bus blocking a lane although there is space to do so. Busses will stop at busstops although noone is getting on or off. Busses on a route will not pace themselfes equally and often ends op driving in a convoy rather than beeing spread out on the route. It would be nice to be able to make small additions to the map in order to be able to make busses beeing able to turn around and the like.
    Also there are no traffic lights, so its very very easy to end up blocking a busy street will will spread like wildfire turning the whole city into a giant traffic jam.

Besides from that..its quite enjoyable.

20. CMaster says:

Honestly, the “daily timetables” is in fact the most exciting thing about the trailer.

One of the big problems with the first CiM, which had an awful lot going for it, was there was no way to schedule your routes AT ALL, leading to all your vehicles on one route getting bunched up, and huge waiting times once the bunch had gone past. About the only solution was to make dozens, even hundreds of short routes, and have people change ALL THE TIME.

21. mariejanet657 says:

til I looked at the receipt four $4254, I didnt believe …that…my mother in law was actualie receiving money part-time from there computar.. there sisters neighbour started doing this for less than twenty one months and as of now cleard the dept on their house and got a top of the range Chevrolet Corvette. read more at, http://www.bit90.com