The Bleat Goes On: Escape Goat 2

By Adam Smith on January 28th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

John was pleased by platform-puzzler Escape Goat when it trit-trotted across to PC last summer, so the news that a sequel is not only in development but will be released on PC before any other platform should make him very happy indeed. Indie Statik spoke to developer Ian Stocker, who stated that the second game will follow the single-screen puzzle format, but will have a completely new graphical style, created by Randy O’Connor of Tiger Style, they of Waking Mars. As for the release date, it’ll be this year but Ian doesn’t mention anything more specific.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. DrDerekDoctors says:

Woo-hoo! I loved the original on XBLA so this is a shoe-in for me. Although some of the original’s puzzles were a bit “wooly” in their solutions, so I hope that’s tightened up a bit. Where do I pre-order? :)

2. Velko says:

I’m waiting for the GOAT edition.

3. Lambchops says:

I spy with the All Seeing I a headline tag inspired by Sonny and Cher (thought I’d cover both bases!).

Missed the first one, might give it a shot at some stage as I do like some puzzle platforming.

• Jekhar says:

Definitely do that. It’s a really fun game with tight controls. The first couple rooms may be a bit on the easy side, but stick around, the head scratchers will come. Also check out Soulcaster and its sequel from the same developer. It’s a nice puzzely blend of gauntlet and tower defense.

4. Ninja Dodo says:

Escape Goat was a lot of fun. Interested.

5. NailBombed says:

Is it just me or does Escape Goat seem like it should have been created by Jeff Minter? Only titlewise of course…

6. Jackablade says:

Now I don’t want to be “that guy”, but I believe the accepted onomatopoeia for the sounds a goat’s hooves make as it crosses a hard surface is “Trip-trap”, not “Trit-trot”.

• NailBombed says:

Are you trolling?

• Shadowcat says:

Based on my recent reading of “My Life as a Troll” (the underbridged edition), I’d have to say yes.

7. meepmeep says:

Woohoo! I loved Escape Goat.

I have to say though, I think I prefer the original Minteresque stylings to the generic glossy revamp.

• epmode says:

Yeah, I liked the pixelly art from the first game. I’m not so sure about this.

While I enjoyed Waking Mars, its art style had little to do with it.

8. Caiman says:

Great news, I loved the first game, although the bonus levels at the end are bastard hard! Great title as well, once you appreciate the storyline. Like the new graphics a lot. I’ve had enough 8-bit graphics to last a lifetime, let’s get onto the 16 bit graphics retro nostalgia era!

• phlebas says:

Mm. I’m just hoping the difficulty of the sequel is more like the main levels – I’m happy banging my head against a wall until light slowly dawns as to how to complete a puzzle, but making me swear at the controller as I fail for the millionth time to perform a pixel-perfect leap leaves me cold.
      Pixel-perfect is a lot more perfect than it was when I were a lad.

9. internisus says:

This is superb news. I also hope that anyone who has yet to do so will take a moment to vote for the first game on Greenlight. It does seem to have trouble getting attention.