The Dead Space/Phil Collins Connection

By Alec Meer on January 28th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

I’m about as interested in Dead Space 3 as I am in having a conversation about loft insulation with Piers Morgan, but it’s Monday morning, there isn’t enough coffee in the world, there’s a trailer right in front of me, and monkey see, monkey do.

Except now I’ve heard a Phil Collins song as a result, SO MONDAY IS RUINED.

(Though it is the least-intolerable Phil Collins song, in fairness).

Dead Space 3 launches on February 8th (my sister’s birthday, not that she cares about space-zombie games), is polluted by microtransactions and looks like a hybrid of Lost Planet and Halo. Apart from that, it might be good – I mean, who knows?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. DevilSShadoW says:

Well, early happy birthday to your sister then!

So there. At least some good game out of this post.

2. MiniMatt says:

True story. Many years ago when I was an even more minutive MiniMatt, my mother had her car broken into.
    The dastardly villians stole the cassette player and all her cassette tapes.

Except the Phil Collins ones.

3. Mathute87 says:

I don’t think it will be good. It will be “meh”, even more meh than DS2, but it’ll get farily good critics from comformist videogame journalism, who will praise the crafting and the co-op. Mark my words.

Me? I pass. Enjoy your game, people that are excited about it.

And, hey, the Tarzan songs aren’t that bad :P Cut the guy some slack.

4. Kapouille says:

What’s wrong with trailers those days? Sounds like the new fashion to choose random music to put on trailers.

• MiniMatt says:

I’d guess a realisation that wubstep is looking cliched has left creative directors scrabbling around firing random shots.

Next Call Of Duty release has licenced the Benny Hill themetune music. Heard it hear first.

• LeonardNimoysHead says:

Random? This is a really dark song about revenge. VIOLENT revenge. If this is game is about tracking down He Who Is Responsible and putting an end to the body horror zoo, then I couldn’t think of a more appropriate song.

Rikard Peterson says:

The song is good, but the remix is just weird. I think it fits neither song nor ad.

• Ernesto25 says:

I really didn’t expect that to be the song it’s like they aren’t even trying to package this one as a horror game.

TheApologist says:

Someone in PR heard Hotline Miami was the hip new indie thing?

• LeonardNimoysHead says:

It’s a song about taking violent revenge on someone who has done you serious harm. How is it not appropriate? That’s basically the plot of Dead Space 3.

6. jussipe says:

Trailers like these should be taken at face value.

7. Winged Nazgul says:

More like Miami Face 3

8. DaftPunk says:

Strance choice for music haha :D Otherwise looks decent i guess,never was fan of previous dead space games.

9. Gwilym says:

I’ve often wondered if Fill Columns is ever going to actually finish this song, since he’s been playing us the intro for nearly 35 years now. Could we hear the main bit, please?

CelticPixel says:

You don’t want dubstep in your trailers, you don’t get dubstep in your trailers…

Also, needs more GORILLA DRUMMER FACE!

• Chizu says:

That ad is immediately what I thought of when this started up.
      I think this advert is more likely going to sell more Cadbury’s chocolate than it is copies of Dead Space in the UK.

• The First Door says:

Lets not forget Bollos’ Audition for that advert too! ‘Just because I’m gorilla I’m only eat bananas?’

11. Blaaaaaaag says:

Piers will be disappointed.

12. Optimaximal says:

So, what was this least-intolerable song?

(seriously, watching the trailer mute)

basilisk says:

I’ll admit I only played the first game, but it’s funny how this trailer doesn’t look anything like it.

(Which is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you, but still… the dissonance is enormous.)

• SkittleDiddler says:

It makes DS3 look like Lost Planet with co-op, which may or may not turn out to be accurate.

Also, “Best of 2013″ at the end of the trailer? There must be a time travel option in the game too.

14. Juan Carlo says:

I used to hate Phil Collins too, but then I read an interview with him where he was even more down on himself than other people. Then I just kind of felt bad for him. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. And, love him or hate him, you can’t say he lacks pop sensibilities.

Plus, he seems really respected amongst alot of good hip-hop artists in the states, so some people with taste seem to like him.

15. FurryLippedSquid says:

I like Phil Collins… :(

• Saarlaender39 says:

You’re not alone!

And Mr.Meer will burn in all eternity in the fieriest dephts of hell – for him not liking this song…

I guess he never watched Miami Vice, because his Mom sent him to bed early, so he hates all good stuff related to this icon of the 80s.

;)

• Velko says:

The stuff he did with the Phil Collins Big Band (one live-album) is brilliant. Don’t care much for him outside that, though.

• Bhazor says:

A dislike of Phil Collins implies a dislike of Genesis. As such this view is wrong.

That said this song makes no god damn sense in this trailer unless Dead Space 3 has become a Silent Hillesque metaphor for a bumpy marriage.

• f1x says:

Everybody knows that the only good era of Genesis is the Peter Gabriel era

but yeah, Phil was already there by then, just they were wise enough to not let him sing, or at least not too much

• noom says:

I’m actually rather disturbed that more people haven’t jumped to Phil Collins’ defense. He’s bloody excellent.

• Snargelfargen says:

I enjoy Genesis and Phil Collins, but it really is the ultimate “dad music”.

Rikard Peterson says:

That depends on the age of your dad, though. PC is too modern for mine.

When I type that, I realise that it’s pretty fitting for a blog on PC gaming. ;)

16. Shinryoma says:

I had a feeling it was going to be that song. At least it’s not Sussudio.

Hodge says:

Phil Collins is a fucking genius.

18. Neurotic says:

What an unusual mix of the song. Must capture it for my records.

19. Matt7895 says:

The game seems to have been developed for co-op. As someone who loved DS1 and DS2 mainly for their claustrophic, you-are-alone horror, this concerns me

20. Ernesto25 says:

It is if you played the walking dead *trollface*

Revisor says:

Serious question: Why do you dislike Phil Collins? My parents used to like him, I considered him a pretty good foreign-language pop and the local tabloids have never written of him, him residing in another part of the EU and speaking an alien tongue.

• AngoraFish says:

It’s not gritty and alternative enough. It’s too popular, especially with your parents, so it must be uncool. Music that’s mellow, easy to listen to, easy to sing along with and cheerfully up-beat is a bad thing. Oh, and he’s a drummer.

Faldrath says:

Phil Collins is actually a pretty good drummer, and was a large part of what made Genesis interesting in the early 70s. Many fans from that era were disappointed when, after Peter Gabriel left, Collins helped turn Genesis into a fairly standard/boring pop band in the 80s, and then embarked on an even more standard/boring pop solo career.

22. Risingson says:

For a moment I thought that a moody “Against all odds” would play. Somehow I think it would fit perfectly.

23. Snids says:

I dislike Alec’s overt opinion pieces. They feel a bit vulgar and Jim Stirling-esque.

24. pakoito says:

I’m one of the lucky ones that thought

SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS
    Isaac died at the end of DS1
    SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERS

and the saga was over there, with one great round game.

• Xzi says:

Should have been the way things happened in both Dead Space and Mass Effect. The world would be a much happier place now.

25. Beybars says:

I’ve somewhat mixed feelings about this game. On the positive side, I love the lore and story behind the series, mainly because it was spearheaded by Warren Ellis and Anthony Johnston and I’m just curious as to what happens next.

On the downside, I don’t like the new setting too much, preferred the derelict space ship, or the new action oriented faster paced gameplay, I hope they try to imitate The Thing more so than Lost Planet.

• tobecooper says:

I think you mean Ben Templesmith. I don’t remember Ellis having anything to do with this.

Also, yeah, it would be great if they tried to imitate The Thing. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like it.

26. Valerius Maximus says:

Oh man, all that horror! Just too spooky for me.

deadfolk says:

It’s not possible to ruin Monday. It’s inherently rubbish to begin with.

But if it WAS possible – yeah, Phil Collins would do it.

28. jokigenki says:

Whenever a Phil Collins song is used in an advert, Patrick Bateman kills a baby.

DrScuttles says:

All the albums before Duke seemed too artsy, too intellectual. It was Duke (Atlantic; 1980), where Phil Collins’ presence became more apparent, and the music got more modern, the drum machine became more prevalent and the lyrics started getting less mystical and more specific (maybe because of Peter Gabriel’s departure), and complex, ambiguous studies of loss became, instead, smashing first-rate pop songs that I gratefully embraced.

29. Arcanon says:

I watched Angry Joe playing the Demo…..it’s now officially a third person shooter AND NOTHING ELSE. At least Dead Space 2 TRIED to be scary.

• Ernesto25 says:

i was thinking the same thing although i always kind of felt dead space wasn’t really good at horror unless horror is a jump scare every now and again. The 3rd person perspective didn’t help me feel scared at all and in both games the tutorial bits where you are weak is the closest i felt to being scared. I did like thing in the games but i never felt a massive urge to finish them due to feeling dosconnected from the game. as a whole.

30. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Phil Collins ruined Genesis and has made some of the worst music possible relative to demonstrated ability elsewhere.

31. Cytrom says:

I don’t count fixed (cut)scenes as “actual gameplay footage” even if its rendered in game. There is a very big difference beetween free form interactive gameplay, and fixed camera quicktime events where your only ways of interaction is mashing a button to make something completely predefined happen that will happen exactly the same for everyone.

32. Dowr says:

All I can see when I hear this song is that gorilla.

You know which gorilla I’m talking about.

33. Caiman says:

How to EA expect to sell 5 million copies of DS3 when they create trailers like that? I mean, Phil Collins is pretty damn scary, but it doesn’t really work does it?

34. db1331 says:

ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

Show only in-game cinematics, no actual gameplay

35. woodsey says:

Annnnd it’s still not been long enough for me to not think about that gorilla.

36. Moraven says:

I was hoping it was phil collins in the suit when the helmet opened.

37. studenteternal says:

I like how that suit can protect you from the cold and vacuum of space, but even with the helmet deployed he still shields his face with his hand to block the wind…

phlebas says:

Blood and Gore
    Intense Violence
    Strong Language
    Phil Collins

39. UpsilonCrux says:

Is everything ever gonna have the sound from the Prometheus teaser in it now?

• Archipelagos says:

It was a really, really good trailer. Pity the actual film sucked but yeah, what can you do.

40. P.Funk says:

“Vote Labour. If you don’t and the Tories get in, Phil Collins is threatening to come back from Switzerland and live here — and none of us want that.” –Noel Gallagher on the 2005 General election

Made me think of this.

41. megazver says:

In The Air Tonight is a great song, shuddup >_<

42. SuperNashwanPower says:

This is the second 360 gameplay video that is really showing the clunkiness and age of the platform now. I am surprised they don’t just automatically show the PC version in the trailer, like at shows. Or is that illegal?

Christian Dannie Storgaard says:

I read the introductionary warning wrong and am now sad and wishing someone would actually create something worth a warning that says, “Intense language”.

44. LeonardNimoysHead says:

I’m surprised at this response from RPS, actually. I find the song really appropriate. Isn’t this game about taking revenge on the guy responsible for the horrible things that have happened to Isaac over the previous two games? That’s part and parcel what this song is about. I’m not a fan of the cover, but I LOVED the choice of music. It actually makes me kinda want to play this, and I have no interest in this series whatsoever.