Dead Spin: Yes, The PC Deserves A Better Dead Space 3

By Richard Cobbett on January 29th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Slender finally met his match when he tried playing oogie-boogie with a guy holding a flamethrower.

During an interview with Shack News, Dead Space 3 producer Steve Papoutsis expressed confusion about why PC players are disappointed at the lack of any extra frills in our version of the game. “It’s confusing to me that this question even comes up,” he says. It’s by no means any less important to us; it gets a lot of attention. The PC is a very different platform. As developers, you want to deliver an experience that’s as similar as possible on different platforms.”

In a word: Hurm…

Hey, neat. A penny!

Much as I’m sure we’d all hate to drag Visceral Games and EA away from important jobs like sabotaging their own horror game with cynical microtransactions, this is staggeringly short-sighted thinking. Surely in this market, with so many titles fighting for attention, every grabbed edge is worth risking the initial pain and slightly bloodied hands.

To be fair, it makes good sense for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions to be as close as possible. Whoever doesn’t have the better version will see what they do have as the lesser – games like Bayonetta have shown this pretty well in the past. The PC though is a different matter. It’s not seen as a direct competitor to either system, and anyone who argues that it’s not a good couple of generations ahead at this point can be shut down with one word – “antialiasing”.

Look, I'm being chased by an alien cult of psychotic killers who play with organic material like children play with flies. Some spooky looking toys are not going to make me poo my armour, I'm sorry.

This means that a rock-solid PC version is more than just harmless to console zealots. It’s a chance for developers to show off, to hint at what’s coming on the next generation of boxes, and most importantly, to convey their vision with the fewest technological limitations. It’s about being able to use those high-resolution assets instead of crunching them down, to play with that lighting for the ultimate creep-out factor, and to make a name for themselves on a platform that’s only becoming more powerful and more relevant across the industry.

There are reasons not to take advantage of all of this, absolutely – budgets, resources, expertise. There are none to not want to. To act confused over the issue, or PC owners being suspicious of ports after so many shockingly bad ones, is simply bizarre. There’s simply no arguing that a Dead Space 3 port with no further graphical enhancements above and beyond those seen on the PS3 or Xbox 360 is anything but a disappointment to an audience that knows exactly how much more their system is capable of handling.

Still, at least we can be grateful it’s not being hobbled by the Wii U, right?

, .

1. Imbecile says:

Agree, but RPS using the term Console Kiddies? Colour me disappointed.

• P.Funk says:

Nobody’s fooled. Consoles are for kiddies. The only games that exist in superior fashion on consoles are sports game. The only reason I even keep an XBL Gold sub running is to play NHL 13 online.

• Kaira- says:

And survival horror. PC is very sadly lacking in that area.

• Brun says:

Explain/give examples of this please. PC has DayZ, Xbox 360 has…?

• P.Funk says:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. comes to mind. There are probably more but I was never really into that genre.

• valz says:

STALKER has almost no resemblance to the genre. You’re confused.

Kaira has a good list of some modern examples.

• kstress71 says:

If you are talking about survival horror franchises that have lost their souls and become pure action games with little or no tension, then yes, consoles have more of those. If you mean true horror games that understand how to maintain tension and atmosphere and offer interaction with the world other than point-and-shoot, then PC is by far the way to go, ESPECIALLY considering the current love for horror games in the indie realm.

Amnesia, Slender, Penumbra, Home, Lone Survivor, countless Half-Life modes, etc… these are all better survival horror than anything on consoles these days.

• P.Funk says:

Thank you, I forgot completely about Penumbra.

• Kaira- says:

You mean Downpour, Fatal Frame 4, Shattered Memories, RE: Archives, Cursed Mountain, Night of the Sacrifice, Corpse Party, Forbidden Siren, Deadly Premonition, Condemned, Remothered (if it ever comes out, I know I’ve waited for it long enough) etc etc? I find it quite funny how you can mention in the same post “survival horror franchises that have lost their souls and become pure action games with little or no tension” and then list Half-Life mods (or even Slender, for goodness’ sake) without a hint of irony, seeing how those tend to be (at least Nightmare House, Afraid of Monsters and so forth) tend to be shooting galleries with jump-scares here and there.

• Delusibeta says:

FYI: Corpse Party, Cursed Mountain and Condemned is available on PC. I’d also discount Resi 6 Archives since the only game in that collection that doesn’t have a native PC version is Code Veronica, and you can emulate that anyway.

(Well, in the case of Corpse Party it’s fallen into the trap of “available at a Comiket five years ago and there might be a copy in a doujin store if you’re lucky?” that so many Japanese indie games fall into. But yeah)

I suppose the argument goes that major Japanese developers, like major Western developers (*cough* Dead Space, FEAR *cough*) have abandoned any pretence of horror, while actual horror games is restricted to the cheaper platforms (PC, PSP, Wii and digital downloads).

• Pamplemousse says:

I’ll come right out and say the majority of the games quoted are awful.

One of the best examples of the horror genre in the last couple of years is a game that’s both actually scary and on the PC computer box is Amnesia. I should however say that I hated Silent Hill 2, and apparently that’s one of the best from the genre… mayhaps I’m not a huge fan of survival horror?

• BanzaiAlpha says:

@ Kaira
            If you haven’t seen it; there’s a HL2 mod called “Flesh” that came out in 2009. It’s not great, but it does a good enough job that it’s my most memorable horror-survival mod for HL2. Also; did you play Downpour and Shattered Memories? Both were hardly ‘scary’ (though considering the Wii and its’ tech Shattered did quite well at times) where it resorted to a few jump-scares in order to give a quick-fright. Siren on the PS2/PS3 wasn’t bad, albeit the sucky-controls that have somehow become the standard by making your character a brick :<
            Honestly, the console horror/survival-genre is dying with the lack of new and creative IPs by AAA-developers (which brings out the whole, 'Indies will save us yadda yadda. Now we'll get 3 good horror games in the next three-years mixed in with the 20 bad-ones.') Amnesia was one of the few that I actually enjoyed playing through and didn't feel so sluggish and annoying.

• Pathetic Phallacy says:

@Kaira:

He gives you Amnesia and Lone Survivor, two of the best horror games to ever appear on ANY platform and you give him a bunch of terrible franchise games that sucked so hard their own fans abandoned them. I see.

• Synesthesia says:

Yeah, i really do miss the genre. Let’s hope a machine for pigs fixes that, but some 3rd person goodness would be very welcome. I miss good silent hill. I really, really do.

• Milky1985 says:

i think Kaira- has a bit of Amnesia about survival horror games on PC, maybe it was due to a sudden Dark Descent

• Richard Cobbett says:

Consoles are fine. I have both PS3 and Xbox 360, though I play most of my games on the PC for obvious reason. Console kiddies I see as a very specific group; the ones who open their mouths but only WAAAAAAAH! sounds seem to emerge. It’s not a general slam.

• Imbecile says:

Fair enough. There are undoubtedly eedjits both sides of the fence, and I sometimes feel stuck in the middle :P

• jitenakansa says:

iPhone 5/4S / 4 / 3GS Repair Parts! The iPhone is the most popular cell phone on the market and as Apple continues to provide more features and functionality this drop down in these devices, http://microurl.ru/d6w

• Imbecile says:

Its nonsense. Its RPS playing to the peanut gallery.

Ignoring the irrelevant point about superior games on the PC (I own both formats, both are good), the average age of a console gamer is around 35 to 40

• Snargelfargen says:

It’s an odd minority to fixate on, but it does exist. I’ve spoken with several teenage boys recently that were absolutely flabbergasted that I didn’t own an XBOX or PS3, yet was a gamer. They literally had difficulty comprehending that a 20-some male wouldn’t have a console, it was a blow to their worldview.

• Imbecile says:

Agreed, they definitely do exist. I just wish the term hadn’t been used quite so generally. Its not clear that its referring to a specific minority, or just all console gamers. (or it could be a reading fail on my part!)

I also wish that the term “kiddies” wasn’t used, as the console playing idiots tend to span a variety of ages, and its use tends to reinforce ignorant stereotyping.

I suspect I’m being way too sensitive, but the Console bigotry and PC elitism is one of the things that gets on my nerves!

• Richard Cobbett says:

Changed it to ‘zealots’.

• Imbecile says:

Awesome – ta!

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Imbecile (sorry dude but it is your screen name :) ) – I think maybe it would help you feel less angry if you understand WHY there is resentment and anger from a particular corner of PC Gamers. Its not elitism, though once an irritation festers for long enough, when it finds a voice I admit it can look pretty ugly.

It comes from wanting to invest deeply in a hobby in a certain way. For myself, I have been a gamer since I was young, starting with the Commodore 64 and buying progressively better machines as the tech improved. Each time there was a jump in processing power, it excited me. I loved seeing the improvements in game depth, creativity, visual effects, AI and so on. 2D side scrollers and patterned enemies gave way to 3D worlds and opponents who could think and react. I always wanted to see what would come out next, and what developers could do with new more powerful tools. Like a person that spends thousands on a Hi-Fi because they want that particular experience that can only be got by going for the top range, I buy an expensive PC because I want to see the state of the art in what gaming technology can do. There are certainly some games and brands that try to push those limits, but on the whole the market has been driven by the appealing economic factors of the last console generation.

We do have new games, but what we have not seen is the kind of ‘next leap’ that happened between 8 bit to 16 bit and then to 32 bit home machines. Unfortunately its very hard to prove a negative – there is little to point to and say “this is what kind of games we could have had right now if technology had not been artifically anchored in 2006″. Developers have not put money and effort into creating next gen games for next gen technology, because it made more financial sense to build for the last one. So for this reason, its those that see PC Gaming as the equivalent of hi-fi that I think tend to get the most annoyed, because the love and investment they feel they have put in is not reflected in the available software to run on it. A lack of AA, tesselation or design-for-gamepad is just a passing, surface target on which to focus the irritation.

Cevat Yerli commented that Crysis 2 was initially designed as a much more sprawling, complex game, but had to be pared down to what it was because of console limitations. As a lover of Crysis 1 and Warhead and the technological achievements they represented (and still represent), this grated hugely. I remember seeing a video a few years ago showing Arma 2 running on a very high spec machine, ridiculously overclocked. It had hundreds of AI fighting a pitched battle, with the player a tiny part of it – like watching Planetside 2 but entirely AI driven. My PC just died when I tried it. This may not appeal to you, but I cannot help but wonder what kind of gaming experiences we might have now, what creative minds could have done with all that gaming power. Its not just about graphics, though I admit I am a massive fan of photorealism and the very physical effect it has on me. I love when my brain goes HOLY FUCK THATS REAL. Optimisation always plays a big role in improving games over a consoles lifetime – getting more out of less. What could have happened if this was applied to more recent hardware also? I am not angry with console gamers per se, but at what the industry’s focus on the last generation of consoles has caused to be ignored, or outright prevented from being created. Mostly we cannot know what got lost, because they were never allowed to use the tools.

• PopeRatzo says:

I suppose a lot depends on what you grew up with. I’m an older gamer and because of various phases of life, I completely skipped consoles. Never owned one. Always was a PC gamer.

Not long ago, A friend gave me a Playstation 3 and a bunch of very recent AAA titles. Hooked it up to my HTDV and and set about playing. My first and second reactions were both, “this sucks”. Clumsy, third person shooters and “action” games, dumb, ham-handed control schemes, bad graphics – right on down the line. It was about halfway through the most recent Uncharted that I thought, “It shouldn’t be this bad. It’s probably because I’m not familiar with a controller”. So, I really worked on my controller skills. Bought a console-style controller for my PC (and enjoyed the hell out of Saints Row: the Third). Gave it all another shot and finally just gave up. Gave the PS3 and all the games to a younger family member. Sat down with Far Cry 3 and was overcome with a sense of “Ahhh. This is how it’s supposed to be.”

If you grew up with consoles, you think they’re the tits. If you didn’t, and were to just start gaming today, you’ll realize that console gaming pales by comparison to the best PC gaming.

• Snargelfargen says:

Playing shooters on a console is sorta like playing checkers with chess pieces. Controllers really come into their own with stuff like arcade racers and movement based games like mirror’s edge and spider-man.

• Imbecile says:

@SuperNashwan

Yeah, I do understand that – I’m a pc gamer myself. I think the main driver is that PC customisation and upgrade-ability is the reason that many choose the PC as a platform . When that gets compromised by other formats, people become unhappy.

That said, I would probably still argue that while you still get console idiots and pc idiots, The difference between the two is that the Console idiots tend to insult the platform (PS3 is underpowered!), whereas PC idiots tend to insult the gamers (dumbed down for console kiddies!) making them seem more elitist.

• zachforrest says:

I use a console box not because I’m a kid, but because I’m too stupid to maintain/operate a pc.

• P.Funk says:

If you’re too dumb to use a PC then I suppose you cannot handle a smart phone, an answering machine, the onboard computer on modern luxury cars (watch Jeremy Clarkson struggle with most BMW ones on Top Gear if you like), basic logic tasks, unfolding then refolding maps and similar large pieces of paper, etc.

If by stupid you mean lazy and can only handle plug and play then thats more a matter of will than intelligence. I’m fairly certain it takes more concentration to earn your wage, whatever it is you do, than it is to deal with the basics of a Windows 7 installation.

This logic, the apparent “ease of use” of consoles takes me aback. Whenever I encounter an error on my 360 I have to google for hours to figure out how to “trick” it into working. Whenever something goes wrong on my PC usually its much easier to fix. My DVD drive broke on my PC once… didn’t change anything. Disc drive broke on my friend’s 360… that took weeks to get back in the mail. :P Ease of use eh….

• zachforrest says:

Only a real nutter would take an assertion of my own a stupidity as insult about PCs in general.

Get a grip?

• ScubaMonster says:

Don’t be arrogant and pompous. So what if he doesn’t know computer hardware very well. Do you know how to put together or fix everything? Cars, plumbing, electrical work, etc? Not any different. Are you somehow stupid or not intelligent for not knowing how to work on those things?

• Creeping Death says:

@scubamonster I have enough basic knowledge in those areas to wire a plug, change a car wheel or fix a tap, it takes a lot less basic knowledge in IT to install a video game. I kinda see where pfunk is coming from

• Crane says:

I was just logging in to say almost exactly the same thing as Creeping Death.

I think PFunk was unneccesarily rude about it, but the argument “Oh, sure, I don’t know computers, but do you know how to repair an engine!” comes up a lot, and it’s wholly spurious.

I don’t know how to repair an engine, but I do know how to change a goddamned tyre. I don’t expect everybody to know how to reformat their hard drive or fix their boot.ini, but it’s not unreasonable to expect someone in a first-world country to have a certain degree of basic computer literacy.

• P.Funk says:

@ScubaMonster

Installing Win7 requires barely more attention than installing any software onto a computer. Comparing computer usage to mechanical skills relating to car maintenance is more apt if you’re talking about rooting around the kernal of a Linux installation rather than a Windows installation.

Windows is specifically geared towards people who don’t want to play around with their software, so much so that with every iteration of windows you kind of have to fight it more to get direct control of some features.

Anybody that thinks using Windows, or even installing it anymore, is in anyway difficult must hire the Geek Squad to do all their software stuff. I promise you keeping track of the tax on your groceries as you walk through the aisles of the grocery store requires more skill and concentration than installing Windows, and I’m not a huge M$ fan either.

The only legitimate argument for consoles is having a hardware platform to create a consistent experience. Most of this however is shrugged off by the fact, again, that PC hardware power easily outstrips the basic requirements of any console port, and good PC game design means the games scale to lower end specs.

PCs are not like hot rods, not if you don’t want them to be. Any attempt at pretending you’re not capable of grasping the concept is somewhat suspect as most games themselves involve more complex mechanics than bare basic current gen PC OS management.

Also, I wasn’t being rude, I was picking up on the way the guy said he was too stupid and if anything saying “no way, you’re not THAT stupid, nobody really is”. If thats insulting, then he insulted himself first. XD

• LostInDaJungle says:

Nutter.

Well, if you can change a tire, you can change your oil, and heck you can drain and fill your transmission as well, and heck, what’s the cooling system once you’ve done that…

Saying “It’s easy” negates the fact that it can often be confusing to those who don’t know what’s going on, and many people don’t want to invest the time in learning how. Back to the car analogy, I know how to disassemble an engine and put it back together, but for years I didn’t bother. I had money to pay for my repairs and would have rather spent my Saturdays doing something else.

I have also built my own PC’s for the better part of 20 years, work in IT, etc… And everytime I go to build a new one I have to read up on the latest greatest CPU’s, Video Cards, etc… I have to know what type of anti-aliasing my rig supports, what versions of DirectX I’m dealing with… I can think of a few games that I just plain didn’t play because I couldn’t get them working right on my PC and didn’t feel like spending a night updating drivers, checking settings, using Joy 2 Key because of lousy controller support, etc…

Consoles are cheap and for the most part they just work. Unless you pirate your games, they are also no more expensive in the long run. Plus they’re not owned by elitist snobs who have to insult people for saying that they just want to play a game.

• heldelance says:

If you believe you’re “too stupid” (your words, not mine) to use a PC, get a Mac. It’s pretty much the Fisher & Price of computers :P.

But more seriously, a PC is quite easy to use and maintain, there are a lot of guides out there to help you in this. Sure, more can go wrong with a PC than a Console or Mac, but that’s because you can do more with a PC.

The most commong problem on a PC is getting a virus, but if you’ve got at least two functioning neurons to rub together, you’ll be fine. The usual “Don’t visit shifty sites”, “scan everything you download”, “don’t use pirated software”, those will get you far. To date, I’ve not had a single virus on my PC by following the basics.

Finally, PC users are GENERALLY (I put this in caps to emphasise it) friendly and are more than willing to share their knowledge. Of course I say “generally” because as is often the case, there are a few bad eggs who bring a bad smell to the bunch,

• Drake Sigar says:

This isn’t about which platform is superior – these business titans should be playing to the strength of each platform. They should be flexible and accommodating, but instead they expect the customers to accommodate them. The arrogance is astounding.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Exactly. Incredibly well put and succinct.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I also wish to stroke the mane of Drake and offer up to him gifts of fine wines and artworks. And also my daughter, though she’s quite ugly and to be honest we’d be glad to be rid of her.

Take her. Please.

• valz says:

Agree.

• PopeRatzo says:

Unfortunately, the strengths of console gaming seem to have everything to do with maximizing profits instead of maximizing the experience for the customer.

• ScubaMonster says:

Only sports? are you kidding? There are TONS of console games that never make it to PC. A quick browse in a store or on the internet proves as much. Some genres are hardly even present on PC (such as fighting games for one example. There’s a ton on consoles). And the games aren’t kiddie trash, many of them are excellent. This may come as a shock to you, but many people like many different types of games.

Plus, what does “kiddie” even mean? Does Mario and Zelda all of a sudden suck and is only for babies because it’s on a console? Have you ever played NES or SNES emulators on your PC? How is that any different?

Elitists are so ridiculous. You don’t have to cling to one platform like a religious zealot.

• P.Funk says:

I said sports games are the only ones that make sense as purely console games. Also, most console exclusive games are that way not because there isn’t a market for them on PC, but because they use that as a means to try and give you a reason to buy a console. They did it with Halo, they’re doing it with most EA sports games.

Considering the fact that a 360 controller is nothing but a normal game controller with a USB port on it the only argument for other genres to be console exclusive is rather dubious. Its especially dubious when you consider how easy it is these days to plug a PC into an expensive 60″ plasma screen. The more consoles and home entertainment evolve, the more the division between console and PC becomes immaterial. Its literally a matter of proprietary software controls now and that itself has questionable merit.

In the end one day we may see consoles go the way of the dinosaur like proprietary Mac OS has. Eventually XBL may just become something you can install on your PC like Steam is and it just becomes a network for buying, sharing, and playing games online. The more the social networks of modern gaming distribution systems evolve the less difference there appears to be in them.

There is ultimately little reason for consoles other than to deliberately create a closed software environment that has proprietary distribution limitations that favour a monopoly. I remember back when the first Xbox was announced and everyone thought it was going to kill PC Gaming. Turns out it didn’t and so far it has yet to show its ability to do more than be a few steps behind the curve.

As data streaming evolves over time it will evetually likely become possible to stream data wirelessly from my computer to my TV and we can play games in the living room out of the same box I sit down to to play MMOs or RTSs. The divisions appear sensible only on the surface. In reality their division is terribly artificial and cynically designed. Utility is not the benefit of a console, not as hardware eventually crosses a threshold where the specific value of consoles becomes one of proprietary imposed limitations which any PC user with half a brain could overcome.

I see consoles as market manipulation ultimately, a relic of an older time before the internet and most of the new things coming soon to our hardware.

darkChozo says:

Action-adventure is also a (rather nebulous) genre that’s also typically more prevalent on consoles. Stuff along the lines of Zelda or 3D platformers are much harder to find on PC. Survival horror and fighting games are the same, as mentioned above. Rhythm games are usually only on console. Anything Japanese is usually console-exclusive because PCs are basically dead in Japan (and this means entire genres, JRPGs being a big one, are on console only). Anything motion controlled (including WiiU focused here) is console-bound, and there’s some decent stuff among all the crap. Spectacle fighters (ie. GoW, DMC, Bayonetta) are often console exclusive. And I could go on.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Nobody’s fooled. Consoles are for kiddies.”

You know, it’s only as I approach middle age that consoles have started to seem appealing. I already do a lot of work on a computer, and sometimes I want to unwind a bit with a game after a tiring day, but perching over another mouse and keyboard just doesn’t seem appealing, to my mind or my joints. The best thing about Dark Souls might be that it got me to buy a controller, because wow, sitting back in my chair with my hands in my lap rather than poised over the keys is so much more comforting. Or maybe I’m just tiring of games generally.

But, listen to me go on, and you were enjoying a nice generalization. Please, continue.

• pedrovay2003 says:

I’m pretty sure consoles are also for people who don’t want to be forced into bending over and taking it, asking permission to play what they pay for. You know, like the PC version of this game forces you to do.

• skorpeyon says:

I think the term is targeting people like my girlfriend’s nephew. He got a PS3 for Christmas. She bought it for him. He proceeds to play it every chance he gets, argues with others when he’s told it’s time to get off there and go do, well, anything else and literally cried the other day because it was at his mother’s house and he was with his grandparents. You know, the immature kids who don’t really deserve what they have but act like it’s the most important thing in the world.

To note: I told her she needs to go to his house and take it away from him until he learns better behavior. He recently asked if he could come to OUR house to spend the weekend and I said that a) he can’t bring his PS3, and (once I found out he’d been arguing with his grandfather over the PS3) b) he couldn’t come at all.

• zin33 says:

i bought an xbox just to play bayonetta, and believe me, watching my “avatar” or whatever making gestures and faces and not being able to disable it in any way (or at least an obvious one) just made it clear who it was targeted to

• Screamer says:

We’ll PCs are for grown ups. We can put it that way if you like? :D

• Ragnar says:

I’m sure your comment is tongue in cheek, but PC zealots are just as bad as console zealots.

When they’re not busy putting down console owners, they complain “this 3rd-person-action / racing / flight-sim / arcade game doesn’t play well with a mouse + keyboard, and thus is a shoddy port.”

The fact that PC gaming lets you use the best peripheral for the game, but you felt too elitist to pick up an Xbox 360 controller over the last 5 years, is not the devs’ problem.

Sleeping Dogs and Renegade Ops are both games that play best with a gamepad, and also examples of how good PC ports should be done.

Call out the games that deserve it: the ones with low-res textures, or the resolution limited to 720p, or the framerate capped at 30fps, or limit you to 3 save game slots, or feature huge font sizes and don’t support scrolling text with the mouse wheel, or are afflicted with some other console wart that has no place on the PC.

2. simoroth says:

They even have a fancy PC build. It’s what they use to make their promo shots and trailer footage. No doubt that will have a whole bunch of features they could port to their release build and keep PC gamers happy. It’s just laziness.

Whatever the outcome, they’ll blame it on piracy, so why even bother. :(

• f1x says:

I was thinking the same when looking at the screenshots

a good looking PC build for promo, a cheap PC port for selling, a masterplan!

• amorpheous says:

Vote wiv yer wallops!

3. phelix says:

Oh man, those captions!

• zain3000 says:

I know, eh! I didn’t even notice until you pointed them out :)

• Claidheamh says:

It is Cobbett we’re talking about. His title texting skills never disappoint.

4. RakeShark says:

I can probably accept the “no difference from console version” argument if the PC version is released on the same day as the consoles’. More often than not that’s not the case, hence why we make demands that developers sweeten the deal for a delayed PC version to soothe us over.

At the end of it, I can tolerate this line of thinking if it encourages more console-specific exclusives to start releasing on PC, so long as they don’t go out of their way to treat the PC crowd as some Aussie sub-human criminal.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I think it makes sense depending on the situation of the developer and publisher.

I was a little let down that Dark Souls was such a direct port, however I understood it would be straightforward and From Software explained why; that their lack of PC experience was what held them back from beefing up the PC version. I can also understand it from Namco Bandai’s point, in that they don’t have a big PC presence and they viewed releasing Dark Souls on PC as a risky business venture.

With EA, those excuses wear thin. EA has a ton of multi-platform experience and Visceral Games developed the PC, 360 and PS3 versions of Dead Space 2, so both have solid experience with doing multi-platform.

The only conclusion I can draw is that EA just doesn’t care about investing in the PC release.(shocking, I know)

Truth be told, I’m still stunned that they’re putting microntransactins to buy “parts” in the game. I can’t help but wonder, if you use a cheat to bypass the microntransactions to get parts for free, will your account be banned? Is it just me or does this seem incredibly absurd?

• DerNebel says:

I suppose you’ll be banned.

For using cheat codes in your single player game.

Wat.

5. Robin_G says:

Does this mean we can expect some form of the kinect features of the 360 on PC or PS3, to have an equal experience across all platforms? Of course not, because he’s talking complete nonsense as long as he doesn’t have to admit it was a lazy, after-thought port.

6. KilgoreTrout_XL says:

Good comment from the eurogamer post on this: “csber3, 8 hours ago

i was going to leave an incredibly insightful comment but I had to tailor it for people with old devices where everyone can have the same “experience” so here it is in binary:

01101001 0100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 01110100 0100000 01100010 01100101 01101100 01101001 01100101 01110110 01100101 0100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 0100000 01110011 01110000 01100101 01101110 01110100 0100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 0100000 01100100 01100101 01100011 01110010 01111001 01110000 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 0100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 0100001 0100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 0100000 01110011 01101000 01100001 01101101 01100101 0100000 01110011 01101001 01110010 01110011 0100001″

• jonfitt says:

It’s missing some zeros, but it says:
      i cant believe you spent time decrypting this! for shame sirs!

darkChozo says:

Assuming that it’s just ASCII-encoded text and not actually encrypted, you’re not decrypting it by extracting the message, you’re decoding it.

/pedantry

• jonfitt says:

Yes, that would be my first thought.
          Although!
          Technically the only fundamental difference I can think of between coding and encryption is the intent. If the intent is to make it unreadable to some or not. I would argue that this wag intended to make it only readable by those who do not know his “secret key” (binary presentation of ascii indices) and hence was applying (very simple) encryption.

darkChozo says:

There is a technical difference between encryption and encoding, in that encryption algorithms are usually designed in such a way that you can’t even guess at the original content without knowing everything about the algorithm. For example, if you were to give me the binary data above (minus spaces) and told me that it was an English message, even if I knew nothing about computers I could eventually decode the message (stuff like seeing that certain sets of 8 numbers repeat a lot [lower case letters, or even specific characters that are more common]). Encryption algorithms are designed so that, even if you knew what process was being used to encrypt the message (minus the secret whatever), it would take you an infeasible amount of time to extract the original message.

So, in short, while it’s technically a matter of intent, there’s still a clear difference between encryption and encoding (though encoding could be considered really weak encryption).

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Little-endian or big endian, that’s the question.

darkChozo says:

I eat my eggs from the small end like a civilized human being, thank you very much.

• AsamiImako says:

01000001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100111 01101000 01110100 00100000 01100001 01100011 01110100 01110101 01100001 01101100 01101100 01111001 00100000 01110111 01110010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00101110 00100000 01001001 00100000 01100001 01101101 00100000 01100100 01101001 01110011 01100001 01110000 01110000 01101111 01101001 01101110 01110100 00101110

• jonfitt says:

01010000011001010111001001101000011000010111000001110011
        00100000011010000110010100100000011001000110100101100100
        00100000011011100110111101110100001000000110011001101001
        01101110011001000010000001110100011010000110010100100000
        01101000011000010110111001100100011110010010000001110111
        01100101011000100111001101101001011101000110010100100000
        01110100011010000110000101110100001000000110010001101111
        01100101011100110010000001101001011101000010000001100110
        01101111011100100010000001101000011010010110110100111111

Bluerps says:

But I wanted to have the experience you were talking about… :(

• derbefrier says:

perfect. :)

7. Revolving Ocelot says:

“The fact that we’re allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different,”

Damn, we’re allowed to use mouse & keyboard now? Excessive privilege.

• Hoaxfish says:

yea, I found that bit bordering of complete and utter dumbfounded idiocy. Will Dead Space 3′s “fear factor” come in the form of poor aiming controls on a gamepad?

We’re probably lucky they’ve graced us with video output that doesn’t require an actual TV and couch.

8. Chickenfeed says:

Everyone wanted game developer’s to realise that the PC has much better hardware for gaming than consoles do, and now they have! But rather than admitting the console hardware is poor, they just gimp the PC version so it’s on par. It’s a really backwards way of thinking, I admit.

9. hbarsquared says:

I stopped buying PS3 games when I build my gaming rig precisely because I’m tired of playing games that look the same as they did 5 years ago. I’m sorry Mr. Papoutsis, but Richard is right – we are living in a golden age of gaming, and there are a thousand glittering distractions on the horizon. You need to sell me on why your game is better, and a lackluster port is not helping your case.

• P.Funk says:

We might be living in an emerging golden age of hardware, but I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out how specifically this sort of attitude towards PC games is whats keeping us from being in a golden age of actual gaming.

With kickstarter projects like PA and Star Citizen around the corner though I suspect we may be in something of a new renaissance of gaming in a few years, especially since we’re entering the 64 bit era and multi core is properly becoming useful.

The golden age of gaming will always be the late 90s/very early 00s, or some time in the 80s for the older crowd I’m sure. I feel barely more enthralled by modern gaming than I am by modern music.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

Not the old crowd. The label “Golden Age” as so far have only been attributed to arcade gaming and it refers to the decade between late 70s and 80s.

The 90s would have probably got it for computer gaming if it wasn’t for the fact there was no mass market yet. The reason for it would have been the fact this generation of computer game designers came up with a whole lot of innovation and genre-defining seminal titles like no other period in our still short history.

Some may argue we are living it right now. But that’s easily dismissed as wishful thinking. Because even if it turns out to be true, a Golden Age can only be defined decades later after comparing to what took place before and after it.

EDIT: Incidentally, we may want to fear a computer video game Golden Age. As it turns out, these are almost always followed by a big recession when mass markets are involved. This is how the Arcade Gaming Golden Age ended, for instance.

• P.Funk says:

Well its a naive hope, but the internet has created something of an unprecedented paradigm in how consumers can interact with developers. Kickstarter is the best demonstration of this, but in general the internet is well ahead of what most mainstream publishers can handle in terms of new ideas and systems. Valve really did get ahead of the curve with Steam and only now do you see major competitors beginning to try and make a showing, and even then by making things Origin exclusive et al.

Steam if anything has allowed greater visibility and distribution of low budget indie games than before, and thats thanks to a company that owns a huge market share. If the kickstarter revolution can maintain itself in an objective way it could change entirely how games are made, creating finally a second marketplace, one which creates a permanent means to bypass the bigger budget concerns that always seek to dilute a product for mass market appeal.

There has always been a sub culture that goes against the trends which pervert those “golden” periods, but the internet has a unique ability to empower the sub culture to have broader authority and presence than in most previous cases. Instead of a single arcade being the focal point for a particular sect of the community, we have thousands of people building larger arenas for their dissident ideas than is possible in most non digital cultures.

This is all assuming they don’t kill the internet and force us to make a new smaller one that divides us. I fear the next 10 years for the internet, but assuming we can survive the worst perversions of it we may have found a means to at least endure a less tragic mainstream surge following every golden era of new ideas and creation.

• czerro says:

My rig is no beast, but I have it hooked up to my 60 inch TV in the living room and can play Dark Souls or Arkham City with a PS3 controller at 1080p with an HDMI out. If you show a consoler something like this, their mind is blown. And this is with game’s whose assets and engine design are optimized for consoles! When I hit a performance/quality point that I don’t care for anymore, I can drop 180 for the latest midrange card and have a beast again. When my socket reaches EOL, I can drop in the fastest chip available at a bargain as the chipset isn’t selling anymore. My point is, nothing really needs to be done for the PC port, other than some minor interface work and decent DX-input and/or hardware level input support…they just don’t care to do it. I don’t know what to make of this. The only way to make this worse is GFWL combined with Origin…

10. Valerius Maximus says:

Why would anyone want to actually play Dew Space 3: Better with Kinect edition?

11. Snargelfargen says:

I think this is a pretty classic case of anticipating the PC platform as a loss leader, and skimping on features as a result. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.

12. Text_Fish says:

I loved the atmosphere of the first five minutes of DeadSpace 1. Sadly the developers neglected to open up the control configurations sufficiently to suit my preferred control setup and when I contacted them asking if there was any way to fix it the poor chap on the other end of the line got so confused he swallowed his own head. I didn’t buy the sequel.

That’s just one example of just one of the many oversights inherent in shoddy ports.

13. Eddy9000 says:

I still don’t understand anti-aliasing. Do I turn it on in the game menu, on Catalyst, both, neither?
    Why does turning vsync on actually make my screen tear more?

Any chance of a little RPS guide to graphics functions? I could probably google it but I like the whimsical jokes thrown into RPS articles.

• Snargelfargen says:

Here you go: http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

That article covers just about every graphics setting.

In general, it’s best to apply graphics settings from inside the game, not through your display driver. The only exception would be adding goodies to older games that don’t support anti-aliasing or whatever.

Oversimplified explanation of VSYNC: VSYNC ties your fps to your monitor’s refresh rate, which can really kill performance and lead to stuttering in some cases. Sometimes it can be solved by enabling Triple Buffering. In conclusion, vsync helps in some games, on some systems, some of the time :-P

• Brun says:

A note about Vsync:

If you have a newer Nvidia card (my GTX 480 applies, not sure about other cards) and the latest drivers, vsync will be applied dynamically – that is, the driver will enable Vsync when necessary to prevent tearing, but will disable it otherwise.

I used to always run with Vsync since I hated tearing, but with this feature I can run without it and I never notice any strange behavior. Definitely one of the smarter things Nvidia has come up with recently.

• stupid_mcgee says:

I’m going to need to upgrade my GPU this year (currently have an aging, but very faithful and reliable HD4850) and for the first time ever, I’m probably going to go with NVidia. Mainly due to all the financial troubles I’ve heard that AMD is having. I just don’t trust them to be able to adequately support their products. In all honesty, since the merging of ATI into AMD, I’ve had a lot more issues with the Catalyst Center, drivers, and and failed installations. I know NVidia isn’t perfect, either, but I’ve been very unimpressed with AMD’s support of their GPU products.

• Snargelfargen says:

AMD’s gpu department is in pretty good shape right now, and I expect support will only get better with the next-gen, AMD-based consoles. Nvidia is great too. My point is that at the moment, it’s safe to shop for GPU’s based solely on benchmarks and pricing, regardless of brand.
            CPU’s are definitely a different story though. AMD is currently pretty terrible across the board, except for some budget builds.

• Eddy9000 says:

yeah, I was thinking AMD for my next upgrade (running a 5770) because the new consoles are running them, thought there might be better compatibility with ports. The good thing about development being more console centric is that PC specs appear to have flattened out, looks like my trusty i5 might last another 3 years with a new GPU and 4 more megs of DDR3. Cheaper than buying a new console that’s for sure, might even splash out on a HD TV and give steam vision or whatever it’s called a try.

• DK says:

If your system is powerful you should also enable Vsync at all times, because the lately developers have completely forgotten that consoles are not “cutting edge” so they don’t stop their games (and especially menus) from running AS FAST AS THEY CAN. That is bad, at will potentially kill hardware through overheating.

So V-sync yourself and only turn it off if you notice your performance suffering (in which case, non-Vsync won’t overtax your PC)

• Snargelfargen says:

Ehh, it’s pretty obvious when this is happening (The sound of GPU fans revving up to lightspeed) so having vsync enabled constantly is kinda overkill. Always funny seeing the fps counter suddenly zooming into the triple digits.

• Eddy9000 says:

Hey, might try this with Kings bounty. Loved the game but my fans would run full blast as soon as I booted it up, it already killed my laptop.

14. mehteh says:

“…As developers, you want to deliver an experience that’s as similar as possible on different platforms.”

As PC gamers, we want an experience catered to our controls, audience, and respect us (aka dont want half the game to be a tutorial, tooltips all over the screen, or just plain assume im new to gaming or the genre). I dont want the same slow and dumbed down experience that is catered to the casuals on console aka console focus designs

• P.Funk says:

I really think that this is the crux of the problem. There’s a real disconnect on what actually motivates a PC gamer’s preference for his platform. Its like they want to trick us into not believing that we prefer to customize things, use personal control interfaces, and of course mods.

I have a hard time believing though that a major game developer actually doesn’t realize this. It seems like they’re just saying that EA crap, that kind of political dumb talk, like holding up a pretense thats necessary to justify their obviously maladjusted attitude towards the “mother platform”.

• Gargenville says:

You think I own an Xbox and a PStriple because I want my hand held and my mechanics streamlined? I own them to play Armored Core, Nier, Gran Turismo and Virtua Fighter V.

You’re angry at the constant dumbing-down and handholding that’s permeating mainstream gaming right now and I feel your pain but please realize there are many on the other side of the fence just as, if not more frustrated by the great decline.

15. FakeAssName says:

I own Deadspace 1 on PC.

Played it for a good 4-5 hours, the shitty 80 degree fov combined with tons of motion blur bugged me at first but I got used to it. At the end of that session I shut down the game and stood up to go to the store, then literally fell over.

My eyes were so strained that I couldn’t walk for about an hour and spent the whole weekend with a splitting headache … never played it again, don’t own Deadspace 2, and have no interest in Deadspace 3; geee I wonder why that is?

Sure as fuck couldn’t be the “barebones port to keep the experance consistent between platforms.” Cause is just good development practices.

• Bhazor says:

That sounds more like a stroke.

• Stevostin says:

Bought D1 like you did. Played a pair of hour, then simply decided the view was just completely unbearable. I do think TPV when there are shooting mechanics involved are nearly always a dumb design choice but I can bear most of them, GTA, Max Payne, etc. But having 1/4-1/3 of screen always hidden by my own ass just was too much. Also, yeah, headache.

16. Bhazor says:

Wow, I’ve not seen a company try so hard to get pirated since the dark days of Ubi DRM.

With the baffling inclusion of co-op I have to wonder if Visceral are themselves playing some kind of game. Like getting fired without breaking their contract.

felisc says:

how about just ignored ? with a brief “mpff, idiots” ?

• f1x says:

That could be the plan, I believe Visceral could make something better than yearly Dead Space iterations,.. oh wait. Dante’s inferno… hummm

• Snargelfargen says:

There won’t even be split-screen co-op, alienating the console audience as well.

• f1x says:

Microsoft probably has a part on that, not much split screen on the Xbox you can guess, rather have people pay the subscription to play online

• Gargenville says:

Every Halo and Gears has extensive splitscreen play options and both of those were published by MS themselves.

It’s more like it just takes a lot of work to get splitscreen running decently on a system with limited power.

Stellar Duck says:

Does Halo 2? I’m sure I remember Chris Remo lamenting the lack of split screen campaign in an episode of Idle Thumbs.

darkChozo says:

Assuming I remember correctly, all the Halos offer splitscreen campaign (dunno about Halo 4, haven’t played it). It’s only ever two player splitscreen in campaign (four player online campaign and four player splitscreen multiplayer), which could be what you’re thinking of.

• f1x says:

I refrain from my comment then

sorry Microsoft, we can still be friends maybe ? ;D

but, anyway paying to play online is …. gez

17. czerro says:

I’m not really concerned about the fact that it’s dx9 or even that the assets might be a little muddy for console use. The real issue is whether or not the UI and control system will make sense on a PC. From what they are suggesting, it won’t. It will be 1-1 to the consoles, ie. a clunky mess on PC. DX11 doesn’t really bring that much to the table anyway outside of tesselation and certain AA modes compatible with high-end shaders. So, what is really being said is that they didn’t bother to develop a basic UI and m/kb friendly interface for the game. This would have had minimal overhead to do, they are simply stating that they don’t care to. Steve Papoutsis’s feigned befuddlement over his remarks is equally telling.

• Trithne says:

Very much this. What truly gets my goat with console ports is the utterly shocking controls. I recently played Sleeping Dogs and I had to play it with a gamepad, since the mouse controls were worthless, numerous things were bound to a single button and the game designers apparently figured that putting contrasting controls on ‘press mouse1′ and ‘press mouse1 for 2 seconds’ was fine.

And of course, since I was playing with a gamepad, the shooting sections were foul. tuuuuuuuurn-stop. tuuurn-stop. tuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn-stop. Tu-Oh look the game’s aiming for me, how droll.

• andytt66 says:

I think the only two games so far I’ve had to play with a controller have been SuperMeatBoy and Skyrim. (Until I found the PC UI mod). Never played Dark Souls, where it is also apparently pretty-much-mandatory.

I never had an issue with the control scheme for Sleeping Dogs.. short button press for quick attack, hold it for strong attack is pretty much ingrained in me now, since the days of the original StreetFighter. Using arrow keys to mess about with your phone rather than a series of menus was annoying, but hardly a deal-breaker.

EDIT: God, the shooting bits were rubbish, mind you.

• j1yeon says:

Hm.. I didn’t have any issues with the kb and mouse controls in Sleeping Dogs personally. It was also one of the best PC ports in recent history.

Surlywombat says:

To people who can’t understand why we get annoyed.

Imagine if instead of getting the xbox360 version of a Call of Duty, you got a port of the Wii version. Its the same thing right? Why should you get a special version.

• Milky1985 says:

And before some idiot starts with the “Wii is not from the same generation” BS that always seems to be spouted by the console fans, console generations are not defined by graphics, its when the new products are out.

19. ScorpionWasp says:

*sigh* As far as I am concerned, graphic fidelity in games hit the point of vastly diminishing returns around the PS2 era (which is to say, any improvements beyond that point would be overkill, barely appreciable and totally not worth the costs.)

Almost a decade goes by and there are still folks complaining that graphics in a game are *only* PS3/Xbox 360 quality??? What’s wrong with these people?

It’s a mindset that’s completely alien to me. All of this fantastic processing power that could be harnessed to bring us new experiences… Complex, believable AI. Fully simulated environments. Novel procedural techniques, perhaps even applied to storytelling and art assets themselves.

But no. It’s used to animate the 10,000 micro-ripples a virtual stone cast on the surface of a virtual lake generates. And people are complaining that 10,000 is totally last century and unacceptable, because their hardware can easily handle 100,000!

*exasperated sigh*

• Richard Cobbett says:

I agree, but that’s an argument for a different game.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

For me I have always had a fantasy of games that are near indistinguishable from reality. Sometimes I am playing and will look at a particular corner of the game, and I love the feeling when my brain goes “fuck me, thats actually there”. Its a felt sense, something that hits me in my gut and lungs. If this happens to be an enemy, the idea of shooting it can actually stick in my throat. In Metro 2033, I experimented with the post processing, and an enemy emerged from the gloom. I have never felt what I felt like with any other game – shock, confusion, and a genuine sense of having to deal with something real. All because of the graphical fidelity of the object I was looking at.

Few games make going to this degree a priority, and Metro was “a love letter to PC gamers”. I can understand this may not appeal to everyone, and maybe folks arent wired the way I am emotionally, but I WANT that highly bodily experience that hyper-realism gives me. I am very much on the side of constant improvement for its own sake. It may not create new experiences, but what it does do is add a depth and enhancement to existing ones that would otherwise be absent at lower levels of verisimilitudinousnessosity.

• P.Funk says:

This is certainly an issue that should come more to the fore as multi-core support becomes the absolute norm in all future software, but as it stands the gaming world is still one that drives its marketing on visuals. As such, for a game developer to basically ignorantly pretend that PC’s dont have an edge in this regard is pretty absurd.

You can sell a console game with a high quality rendered movie, and everyone might feel deceived, but on a PC its very possible to use in game footage and make it look like a render compared to a console game.

Also, one of the biggest eye sores in console ports is when they don’t create higher resolution textures for people on PC who routinely run 1080p resolutions. It is actually pretty distracting when the textures look literally as bad as they did 10 years ago.

• subedii says:

Well if we’re going to go there, a lot of that is HEAVILY limited owing to dated console hardware. 512MB of RAM is simply not enough if you want to do more in-depth simulations or larger environments.

Heck, even when it comes to storytelling. Mass Effect 1′s Citadel Station was notable for its significant chugging, and a lot of that was simply because it contained too much in terms of NPC character assets and speech that had to be loaded up for the area, and which couldn’t simply be streamed as easily.

Something which they then cut down on later in the sequels (and figured out a few work-arounds).

It’ll be interesting to see whether the next generation of consoles with additional RAM will open up on the level design a little.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I would also add persistence. A major limitation of the GameBryo Engone was that it needed to periodically clean itself up or it fell to bits. Cells had to reset after a certain amount of ingame days, and it was difficult for “life” to go about its business (though it made an excellent job of appearing to).

I would love to see what could be done with the STALKER A-Life concept if given huge amounts of RAM and hard drive space, turning the world itself into a simulation. I know its been tried before, actually in the first iteration of STALKER, and apparently seemed impenetrable and unconquerable to players. Thats why they added the story and directed elements. But still, with all that hardware the concept is mouth watering.

20. mckertis says:

>>anyone who argues that it’s not a good couple of generations ahead at this point can be shut down with one word – “antialiasing”.

Uhh…and antialiasing is important because… ? Are there idiots out there, who would actually refuse to play a game if they dont get to slap 8x AA on it ? Utter stupidity, if you ask me.

• P.Funk says:

I think you missed the point. Its not about refusing to play without it, its about how absurdly behind the curve in terms of hardware and resulting visuals consoles are that to suggest there’s no market nor reason to create a dedicated PC version that seeks to be more than just a console version is hogwash.

Even average mid range PC’s put a console to shame with its visuals. I’m not saying gameplay before graphics, but thats different than drastically underutilizing the hardware potential of a mainstream gaming platform.

Its like whenever you get a console port that only has like 5 save slots for a game, and you have a 3 TB RAID set up.

• subedii says:

You know that Dead Space had Anti-Aliasing?

Well, they called it anti-aliasing. What it did (and IIRC they did this console-side as well) was literally apply a big-ol blur filter to the entire screen. That was their attempt to hide the sharp edges, simply blur the screen.

It looked terrible, the game actually looked far better without it, jaggies and all.

• Stevostin says:

“Are there idiots out there, who would actually refuse to play a game if they dont get to slap 8x AA on it ?”

Did he say that ? No he didn’t. He said that you can’t argue console & pc to be in the same generation when it comes to tech side of things. Are there idiots out there who would argue that no, PC aren’t many time better than console at displaying stuff ? I hope not.

• gritz says:

I personally think it sucks that I can play the original Deus Ex with perfect anti-aliasing, but Human Revolution will always be a jagged mess.

21. RogerioFM says:

I love RPS, but “console Kiddies” reeks of poor journalism. Sorry buddy, but you dropped the ball. Now, back on topic, it really sucks that we are receiving just a bare bones version, almost a direct port, and with microtransactions and all, well, I am not impressed.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

They wouldn’t make the Xbox 360 game use the same assets as the Wii.

23. Shooop says:

The answer’s really simple. Because PC users aren’t the target audience.

They don’t care to even go chasing after them because they figure they won’t buy it anyway. And the way the game looks now with the removal of everything that made the first game an interesting spin on the genre they’re not entirely wrong.

24. Totally heterosexual says:

It’s not even a case of getting “extra bells and whistles” for the PC version, but rather getting a PC version that actually functions as well as a modern PC game should.

25. stupid_mcgee says:

I know I’ve linked this article before, but I feel like it can’t be said enough: John Riccitiello must go.

26. zeekthegeek says:

From what I’ve heard out of people who played this game (in review copies and such), the whole world deserves a better Dead Space 3, not just PCs. It sounds real bad.

27. Stevostin says:

Well can’t say I’ll miss that one anyway. Probably the most unbearable TPV I’ve ever played with (can I aim there ? no, you’re standing in front of it so you hide it), coupled with a full on cliche story and overall console depth to anything. System Shock II is still ten times those games.

28. Gargenville says:

I actually think one of the driving forces beyond PC gaming’s miraculous rise from the ashes over the past couple years has been console ports keeping the system requirements and the associated barriers to entry in check. Gaming PCs don’t age like they used to (you might have put together a Q6600/4850 system in 2008, that’ll run basically anything on Steam’s front page today) and regular non-gaming PCs can pull gaming duty more credibly than at any point since the mid-90s now that integrated graphics are barely a joke anymore.

I mean in an ideal world all games would scale like Half Life 2 but in the one we live in I feel a modest baseline for games to be built towards is very much in PC gaming’s best interests.

Except for those botched ports that offer 2006-console quality graphics but somehow still require an i7 and a 560, those can go to hell.

• Mario Figueiredo says:

What miraculous rise from the ashes? What ashes? For pete’s sake, when was PC gaming dead or dying? I never saw it. Did you? Where, how? exactly what?

I find the only miraculous thing to happen in the upcoming years is the ability for people to think with their heads instead of buying to every media contrived idea. That will be a miracle alright. For your information, PC gaming was never dead or dying. It never saw ashes or even felt the warmth of a bonfire. It has never been better and its been rising all the time. Sales kept on increasing, records being broken, budgets becoming bigger, servers kept getting full to becoming unplayable, new game launches kept on being made almost every week…

29. Mario Figueiredo says:

Dead Space could go all console. It’s would be dead space on my drive anyways.

30. Slinkyboy says:

Fuck them. I’m quitting PC gaming when the platform demands W8 or Linux to play any games. So much for wanting to upgrade my rig body parts every year but these fucking rules I really hate.

31. JohnH says:

Translation: “We’re to lazy to make a real PC version. And there’s enough suckers out there that’ll buy this crap anyway. So boohoo!”

32. Thats no moon says:

Steam has shown that PC games can have profitable shelf lives much longer than their console counterparts. Why would devs consciously want to hobble the PC version so it ages badly?

It all sounds like incredibly short-term thinking, unless EA’s overall strategy is to effectively delete older games soon after the sequel arrives. They are already doing it with their multiplayer servers, so will we see Origin stopping “support” for full titles a few years down the line?

33. TwwIX says:

This is just EA trying to speed up their irrelevance on the PC market. It’s working good so far.

34. yfrdtyid says:

If you think Patricia`s story is inconceivable…, 4 weaks-ago father in law also earned $8254 workin fourteen hours a week from there apartment and they’re best friend’s step-sister`s neighbour has been doing this for 7-months and made more than $8254 in there spare time at their pc. follow the guidelines available at this link, http://www.Cloud65.com

• x3m157 says:

Who’s Patricia, and what’s her inconcievable story?

Did she survive a necromorph outbreak too?

• wu wei says:

Once again, I’m going to point out that I’ve had a comment sitting in the moderation queue for _five days_ now and yet this crap repeatedly gets through.

Awesome anti-spam system, RPS. Are you getting a kickback from these guys?

35. Buemba says:

“As developers, you want to deliver an experience that’s as similar as possible on different platforms.”

If that’s the case then how come the Severed DLC released for the console versions of DS2 never made it to the PC?

To be honest I don’t expect that much from a console port – Give me resolution options, some basic graphical tweaks and the ability to disable mouse acceleration and I likely won’t seethe with impotent rage when I play it. In an ideal world every game would get a PC version like Sleeping Dogs did (And in a really ideal world every game would be designed for the PC first and then ported to consoles. Oh, and there would be no more diseases or war either, I guess), but unfortunately unless the PC version starts selling much better than the console ones I don’t see developers going that extra mile.

36. heldelance says:

I love consoles and I love the PC. What I hate are the lazy studios that can’t be screwed to do their best and just settle for lacklustre.

You don’t make a movie for a smartphone and decide not to make one scaled up for a real TV, it’s not acceptable and it’s just downright bad practice if it’s not a smartphone exclusive thing.

It’s incredibly annoying to the point where I wish consoles would just crash and burn and the gaming community revolt in such a manner that the game studios and their parents companies are forced to change their ways.

A game should be designed for the PC first and foremost. Designed to take advantage of the power provided by an advanced gaming rig, again, this is barring the console exclusive games. From there, they can just tone it down to the point where it works on a console.

Having the reverse makes me feel stuck in 2007-8.

37. MadTinkerer says:

” To act confused over the issue, or PC owners being suspicious of ports after so many shockingly bad ones, is simply bizarre.”

This sort of thinking is what I refer to as “consoletarded”. PC games need to compete with PC games. Therefore, whether a game is a port or not, it needs to have adequate graphical options. This is the normal standard of PC gaming since CGA was invented. It’s not demanding extra features. It’s demanding adequate features.

Treating the PC as if it’s another console is to be ignorant of the entire history of the market. Why bother porting the game at all? Just give us a license to plunk the iso in an emulator, like how Taito Legends uses (legitimate) arcade ROMs, or the Classic Genesis Collections on Steam. It’s the same result, with less disrespect towards the customers.

Speaking of CGA mode and consoles, this means that Retro City Rampage (a fucking NES port) has far, far, far more graphical customization than Dead Space 3.

• TCM says:

Retro City Rampage is not an NES port.

It isn’t even anything close to an NES port.

Whoever told you it was an NES port was lying through their teeth.

38. rsanchez1 says:

At least it’s on PC, which means modders can have a field day with it and bring us all kinds of graphical goodness.