Mass Regret: Last ME3 DLC To Be Not-Rubbish?

By Alec Meer on January 29th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Body language suggests flirtation to me. Gay Krogan-love at last?

Bioware have so far seemed determined to end their first Mass Effect trilogy with a whimper rather than a space-Jesus bang, with the DLC to date having been distinctly underwhelming. Is it just using up old stuff to earn a few more pennies, is it a sign that the devs are fairly disheartened with the game after EndingGate, is it that all the good staff are too busy working on Mass Effect 4: Shepard Bought A Zoo, or is it that the mysterious and sinister Satisfaction Thieves came and stole all the good bits during the night? We shall never know.

What we can do instead is hope, pray and passive-aggressively demand that the next and final Mass Effect 3 DLC will be more Citadel than Shitadel. Several major cast members, including Seth ‘him out of Buffy’ Green as Joker, have recorded new lines, there are eight writers working on the thing and there are Krogan in it.

ME3 staff, including lead Casey ‘makes it up as he goes along’ Hudson, have tweeted the first coupla screenshots from the new, still unnamed add-on. The first seems to show dear old Krogan bossguy Wrex in the company of Shepard, in what rather looks to me like it could be a new casino section of the (in ME3) disappointingly small Citadel space station.

Does this suggest Wrex will be a playable squad member in the new pack – for the first time since the original Mass Effect? That’s an appealing idea both for conversation and for combat, presuming they make good on the last two games’ assertion that he’s basically Krogan Arnie by this point.

The second shot shows a Krogan in power armour with some sort of mega-axe. Or mega-hammer. I’m not sure, I’m no expert in mega-tools. Missus.

Speculation (including via Eurogamer) is that this is a new multiplayer class, but I wouldn’t mind encountering these big fellas as some sort of mega-enemy in singleplayer too. (I must stop saying ‘mega.’)

News that olden cast members, including the aforementioned Seth Green and also Raphael Sbarge, the chap behind Kaiden, would be laying down new lines arrived in December. It’s the first time Green has recorded for DLC, so there’s a rising hope that we’re in for a big climax (again, missus) rather than just a random bonus adventure, but who knows? If that Wrex shot is from a shiny’n'populated Citadel, surely it can then only be from earlier in ME3′s narrative, plus I can’t quite see them re-concluding the game for a third time, somehow.

So yeah.

DLC, eh?

Eh?

, .

1. BobbyDylan says:

I’ve not bought any ME3 DLC, after buying all the DLC for ME1 and ME2. I’ve not even seen the extended cut.

Not wanting to open old wounds, or anything, but I just cant be bothered with that broken ending.

• Lanfranc says:

I sort of agree. I know it’s a little silly to judge 50+ hours worth of (mostly) awesomeness on the final 5 minutes, but that ending just spoiled the whole experience for me. Maybe it’s just the feeling that it could have been so much better, but wasn’t.

• DigitalParadox says:

I’d say the game had a lot of faults even before the end too: watered down RPG gameplay, lame villains, Reapers go from being the forefront of the plot for 2 games to basically a background threat, very few squad member conversations, way fewer conversation choices in general compared to the previous games, the little kid and Shepard’s PTSD sub-plot, Kai Leng, etc. It was already a poor Mass Effect game way before the ending.

• Koozer says:

Chinese ninja swordsman not stereotypical enough yet? Just add slanty-eyed visor!

• DarkFenix says:

Yeah, ME2 handled Cerberus very well, then I noted straight away in ME3 that the Illusive man was suddenly a pantomime villain, pissing liquid evil and eating babies because… well, just because. The guy who though this Kai Leng bloke was a good addition needs to be fired. Out of a bloody cannon. And Christ, that bloody kid, it’s typical of modern media, the end of the world just isn’t tragic enough so they have to shove a woman or a kid into the middle of it, it’s always shoehorned or rushed and never bloody works.

• jitenakansa says:

iPhone 5/4S / 4 / 3GS Repair Parts! The iPhone is the most popular cell phone on the market and as Apple continues to provide more features and functionality this drop down in these devices, http://microurl.ru/d6w

• TimMc says:

Replaying with the extended cut doesn’t help. I was bummed out aswell from the ending, and the extended cut just doesn’t emotionally engage and fix everything like I had hoped. I had hardened myself to ME3 too far. The first playthrough was what mattered, and Casey Hudson screwed that up royally.

• thrawn says:

I thought it helped, but not enough. At least it differentiates the options a bit and allows you to justify the options if you are so inclined to make up a bit extra (as in, hey, now that I control the Reapers, I can totally do X, Y, and Z, even though they are not in the epilogue). This would be a really good game to have mod support, had this happened in a game like Skyrim, we’d have fixed to our satisfaction 19 different ways already. Either way, the game series itself was mostly brilliant, but knowing how futile the endings are makes me only care to replay it with Shepard being a complete jerk as to justify how things turn out.

• tedesco says:

Same. Plus, I own two different versions of each (box and digital), the books, comics, f*cking everything.
      Bioware will need to pull a big magic trick to put me back into their games.

• holymadman says:

I took my time to their older games, i played Kotor and Baldur. And i hope their new games wont suck… For some reason i believe that its not Bioware fault, EA seems like mastermind behind everything that goes out (since some other games published by EA also suck balls). So ill give Bioware a chance to make a good game but if they keep failing…

• DarkFenix says:

Same, that initial ending killed off any feelings I had for the series at all, good or bad. I haven’t bothered with the extended endings or any of the ME3 DLC (I too snapped up all of it for ME1 and 2) and frankly don’t care for anything Bioware do anymore.

FhnuZoag says:

I kinda like the irony that there’s always a bunch of people commenting that they don’t care, every time there’s news about mass effect.

I do wonder what the actual numbers are with Leviathan.

• Stromko says:

There’s not really any contradiction. They do care, they’re profoundly disappointed. From the logically dissonant explanation of the Reapers, to the three buttons that invalidate everything that came before, people are pissed off and don’t want Bioware to screw up that grandly ever again.

It’s unlikely that Bioware will ever have a chance to screw up this grandly ever again, though. By this point the Reaper Indoctrin– I mean EA corporate culture has finally beaten them into shape and just about everyone with talent and vision has gone elsewhere or soon will.

• DarkFenix says:

It’s more a case of caring about articles put on RPS than anything else and being interested in people’s opinions (and indeed posting my own opinion). If I were posting how much I don’t care on the Bioware forums though, yeah, then it’d be pretty ironic.

• TimMc says:

Apparently ME3 DLC’s have sold buckets more than ME2, despite alot of fans being underwelmed or disappointed at the ME3 ending. And ME2 had some fantastic DLC in comparison.

I myself have not bought any ME3 DLC though. I find it hard to care, and I am doing the only thing a disappointed consumer can do – boycott.

I still have hope for Dragon Age 3 though. Casey Hudson isn’t touching that afaik.

• f1x says:

Well yes, when I was playing ME3 I was constantly thinking “omg omg” and thinking about replaying all the 3 games again right after finishing

then I got to the ending… credits….uninstall

• jp0249107 says:

I’m of the same mind. I just don’t care about any of the DLC since the ending is still awful.

However, I watched the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod and decided to download and install it. Yeah some of the scenes seem cut together but I was able to play through the whole trilogy and felt like everything was okay at the end. My wife actually teared up at the end instead of going “what the fuck was that?” like she did with the original ending. I’d recommend trying that out and Casey Hudson’s shitty writing will all seem like a bad dream. Too bad you have to venture into the Bioware forums cesspit to download it…

• Nim says:

I’m on the fence still, I really would want to see what’s in ME3 but a bad ending is a deal-breaker. This DLC will save or damn Bioware in my eyes.

• Stromko says:

I’m on the fence about ME3 partly because of the infamous ending, partly I’d like to hold off on installing the Origin store malware on my system for as long as I can. At the very least I’m not paying top dollar to infect my machine. Maybe when the GOTY version with all the DLC gets cheap … I really did enjoy the series and I’d like an excuse to play through the first two again at the very least.

• ninjapirate says:

If the aftermath was all that mattered, people wouldn’t get drunk anymore.

• Askeladd says:

Did you ever crash on Tequila? There are certain brands you’ll avoid at all costs after experiencing a proper ‘aftermath’. You can’t even smell it for probably the next 40 years.

So guess what some people might think about ME & Bioware now.

• alison_brie says:

my co-worker’s mom makes $84 hourly on the internet. She has been without a job for nine months but last month her check was $20731 just working on the internet for a few hours. Read more on this web site… http://www.dailyfinance.com.qr.net/j62T

phuzz says:

What disappointed me about the ending, was mainly that it was the end. I was massively enjoying watching who’s arse Shepard would kick next, and then it was all over :(

Really, how were you expecting it to end?

• f1x says:

Not like it did, definitely

• Grygus says:

I expected to lose some squad members, since that had been happening since the end of Mass Effect 2. I expected a big boss fight against a reaper, perhaps more than one. I expected a long cut scene (or many short ones) showing the effects of all the people I brought (or did not bring) to the fight, and reflecting my War Readiness. I expected some sort of hopeless situation that would somehow be solved by Shepard’s sacrifice, because I fully expected Shepard to die.

What I did not expect was for the trilogy’s antagonist to be neutered by a minor character who then presented a couple of buttons to push, followed by a generic cutscene consisting of nonsensical events completely uninfluenced by anything I had done, wrapped up with an exhortation to purchase DLC.

• RakeShark says:

A good beginning and a good ending are the first and last things in your audiences’ minds.

c-Row says:

DLC to date having been distinctly underwhelming

Maybe the fact that they didn’t include it in the game from the start, but the majority of voices I heard on the internet seem to agree that “Leviathan” was rather good.

Also, inevitable ME3 ending flame war in 3… 2… 1…

RedViv says:

Good, but way too late. It’s like sending the hobbits back to meet Tom Bombadil, and take back the Shire from Saruman, way after the Bagginses have already left the continent.

• RobinOttens says:

Leviathan was a good standalone story. Despite the fact that it also adds a lot to the main game, it can be played just fine without having the rest of the game for context. It also isn’t that essential to the plot of Mass Effect 3, most of the big ‘revelations’ were in the main game already, only more subtly.

Your analogy doesn’t work sir.

• Asurmen says:

Not essential to the plot but bloody essential to the ME setting and makes the Star Child make more sense, as well as possibly explaining how more ME games can come along.

• RobinOttens says:

Yeah, I really enjoyed Leviathan and I’ve read only positive things about it on the interwebs. And the second (third, fourth? counting the extended ending and Javik) DLC was just fine, certainly not rubbish. This article makes it all sound way worse then it is.

Anyway, I loved the main game and will probably enjoy this. Though the rumor that this DLC is supposed to be some sort of teaser for the future of the franchise scares me a little.

• MultiVaC says:

I thought Leviathan was pretty cool. Going around the galaxy piecing together a huge, ancient mystery reminded me of what made me like the series in first place. It’s something that hasn’t really been present since Mass Effect 1: exploring space, encountering weird aliens with interesting and very detailed history/culture/biology, boldly going where no one has gone before, etc. It’s a shame they cut back on so much of that stuff to make more room for more of “WAR, DRAMA, THE END OF THE WORLD!”
      aspects of the game

3. Solanaceae says:

When is this thing supposed to come out?

I just started my first playthrough of the game so I hope it’s soon.

4. John Connor says:

If this is more “before the ending” DLC I can’t be bothered.

If it comes after, my interest could be piqued. I’d always thought a “search for Shepard(s body)” where Garrus or someone is the main character instead of Shep would be cool and a great way to actually conclude the story.

• Inarborat says:

That’s what the opening to ME2 was supposed to be. Liara looking for Shepard’s body and handing it over to Cerberus. That and the original opening for ME3, Shepard on trial for The Arrival / Batarian planet destruction, would have been much more interesting. Bioware just really sucks at opening and closing games.

• Fiyenyaa says:

Oh God. This has to be it.
      This would be the absolute best idea they could possibly have; I’d love to be able to play as another member of the crew and find Shepard (especially since I got the “Shepard-takes-a-breath” scene from getting the max warscore ending). I think this’d pretty much be the only way I’d be at all interested in single-player DLC for that game.
      Naturally, my expectations of that actually happening are low.

5. ThinkMcFlyThink says:

I didn’t realize that we all apparently think the DLC so far is rubbish. I really liked Leviathan, From Ashes was really good (although I understand why people may be mad at it), the extended cut was decent, and the multiplayer DLC has been really good and steady. Omega wasn’t what it could have been, but it wasn’t abysmal.

Revisor says:

They, and by they I mean Leviathan and From Ashes, should have been in the game in the first place, since they, and by they I mean Leviathan, are crucial to the story.

Or at least Bioware/EA should regularly discount them for patient people. But no, there wasn’t any discount even on the ME2 DLCs. I know this because I waited for 2 years before purchasing them.

Llewyn says:

They were discounted eventually, at least on the Xbox, but by that point I’d lost interest completely. And because Shadow Broker at least was story-relevant I didn’t buy ME3 either. I was going to pick it up this afternoon in the GMG special offer but this whole DLC discussion has reminded me how underwhelmed I was by the end of ME2.

Revisor says:

The DLCs never went on sale on PC. There was only one short sale of the Bioware points. And that was unofficial and by mistake.

phuzz says:

It does kinda take the piss that you can pick up ME2 for less than a fiver in some sales, but the DLC for it will still run you about £20 of bioware points (and that’s just the ones that aren’t merely new clothes or weapons).

• ahac says:

Sometimes they later release a goty version of the game which includes all the DLC and that’s cheaper than just the DLC. Makes you really wonder how smart it was to buy the game on release…

6. Low Life says:

Shepard.

7. woodsey says:

BioWare DLC is usually rubbish, and they certainly don’t do themselves any favours by retro-fitting chunks of story once the big, sweeping narrative has come to a conclusion. It was awkward enough in Dragon Age: Origins, it’s almost laughable seeing it happen after Mass Effect’s trilogy-spanning story’s come to such a resounding close.

• colw00t says:

The “Darkspawn Chronicles” DLC for DA:O was neat. It was fun to play a straight out villain for once, and being able to murder some of the more annoying characters was nice. It wasn’t very long, but I thought it was a reasonable amount of game for the money. It had new mechanics, even.

Plus, it revealed that, left to his own devices, Alistair would have named the dog Barkspawn, which was such a perfect name that I used it on my next playthrough.

8. derella says:

I haven’t bought any of the DLC for ME3. It just seems weird to go back and play a side mission after the game ended, and I don’t feel like re-playing the whole game.

Bluerps says:

Exactly. I think I might replay the ME trilogy some time in the future, and then I’ll probably buy those DLCs. But at the moment I just don’t see the appeal. They’re just sidequests in a game that I already finished.

• derella says:

I’ll definitely consider buying them once I inevitably re-play the series(or at least the 3rd game — I’ve played the first 2 several times now)… But that’s probably not going to happen until shortly before the next ME game is released.

• f1x says:

Thats a common issue with DLC lately, not only in ME but plenty of other games,

Raises the suspicion that they cut that from the game before launching, and I don’t believe that they add “middle history content” just to make you play the game again

but anyway, if there has to be DLC.. they could at least find something more original or that actually extended the game after you finished it

• derella says:

The finality of ME3 definitely exacerbates the problem — they pretty much have to set any DLC prior to the ending… Whereas in DAO, they did DLC that could fit in after the game… which is ideal for me.

• f1x says:

true, but still they didn’t break their brains too much tho

I suppose for example doing a DLC where you played someone who is not sheppard would be too risky for Bioware?
          Considering this DLC is trying to extend a corpse anyway, they could allow you to play with those survivors from the normandy, depending on your choices you play different chars

I dont know, …something more interesting

psepho says:

No interest in this at all. Loved the three games but I find it really hard to see the value of tacking a few extra short stories on the end of what is essentially a trilogy of great SF novels in game form. I realise that it’s become the industry norm and that it must be a very safe way to get a little extra cash out of the franchise; however, I would far rather see Bioware spending their considerable energies on something fresh.

10. goatmonkey says:

I have an interest in seeing what Leviathan and potentially this add but I don’t think I will be on board for 4.

In my opinion the overarching story started getting pretty weak in 2 it was just the strong character stuff that made up for that, 3 was just lacking in so many areas and I can never overlook how at odds the ending felt to what I thought the ME universe was.

• UpsilonCrux says:

I’m with you on this. I wet myself over ME1, pored over every data log and encyclopaedia entry in the game and loved it. Hell even my girlfriend at the time watched me play through the entire thing, despite being neither a gamer or a sci-fi fan. I played through 2, and I knew in my core that it wasn’t as good, but I really didn’t want to admit it. I played 3 for about a half hour and got sick of the Horde Mode style combat.
      One of the real killers for me was the following; In ME1 there was an awesome data log which talked about the firearms, specifically how they used a block of metal as a “clip”, when you fire the gun at the target, the guns internal computer calculates distance, etc etc etc, and shaves off a piece of the “clip” based on the parameters of the shot required. An awesome piece of in-game lore which explained (IMO) fantastically why there wasn’t bullets to be picked up in the game. Then Mass Effect 2 came out and we all scrambled around the corners of levels scavenging bullets.Ummmm……..Whuh????

PeopleLikeFrank says:

I got distracted from ME2 for a while, which meant I was able to bung all the DLC on before my first playthrough. Too bad I didn’t do that again for ME3.

THPOILERTH:

Not doing this DLC on a new playthrough would be difficult, because I kinda sorta shot Wrex. Because I’m awful.

END THPOILERTH

• caddyB says:

WHAT? How could you? He’s the best =(

• HadToLogin says:

Too bad canon Vrex died, at least according to ME2 – when you do not DL ME1 saves he’s dead.

Lambchops says:

” (I must stop saying ‘mega.’)

[snip]

Also revealed then was that this mysterious add-on would be the first DLC ME3 composer Sam Hulick would return for, again suggesting this is a grander affair than its predecessors, Leviathan and Omega.”

As Sunday Paper’s era KG would have said:

“Failed.”

• colw00t says:

Who does he think he is, with the “Mega” everything? Kim Dotcom?

Wisq says:

will be more Citadel than Shitadel

My analyshish of hishtorical data shuggeshts a ninety-sheven point shree four perschent probability that you are aware of my birsh on your planet, and my rebirsh into beauty on Shitadel Shtation.

14. Screamer says:

Casey ‘makes it up as he goes along’ Hudson

I thought we all agreed that its Casey ‘but its art, and besides we’ve got great DLC coming up’ Hudson?

15. ChromeBallz says:

Does anyone really believe that this DLC will be anything but a new “Witch Hunt” disaster?

I seriously doubt EA will “let this chance go by”.

16. HisMastersVoice says:

“Casey ‘makes it up as he goes along’ Hudson”

Haha. Hahahaha. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Haha…

It’s tragic really…

17. Stevostin says:

When will this ME3 game be released to the public ? Can´t find it on steam, which is where i found the first two.

• BobbyDylan says:

Probably when they finished milking it. Which, by the content of the above article, isn’t anytime soon.

• terry says:

You won’t find it on Steam – Valve and EA had a spat over the selling of DLC content in-game, with the result that EA took their ball and ran off wailing.

• Stevostin says:

I know, I was just bitching. While I think it’s legit to try build up Steam alternative, I think it’s absolutely unacceptable to use the #3 of serie which 1 & 2 you sold a lot trough Steam sales as a forced bait. It’s not correct to Steam who brought those customers (would certainly not have picked it without its sales) and it’s not correct to customers who agreed to buy something without an extra layer and no try to force them into a new one.

• Skhalt says:

Well, EA isn’t exactly known for its history of fair business practices.

18. Ravelle says:

Strange as it may sound, I mostly care for Multiplayer DLC because I play that pretty much every day now. Singleplayer DLC is nice too but I’ll hold on to that until they’ve stopped releasing it all. I don’t want to replay the game game couple of months a DLC is released.

19. Puppy says:

Hehe shitadel.

20. sinister agent says:

Joker was in Buffy? Huh. I always thought of him as Greg the Bunny guy.

21. I Got Pineapples says:

My big problem with ME3 wasn’t that I didn’t like the ending which I thought was a bit trite but ehn what are you going to do? The writing was never really that great to begin with.

It was that your party consisted of all the dullest characters of the franchise, including both the fucking Imoens. . Plus a sexbot and a guy who failed the audition for gears for war. To the point where it kinda poisoned the game for me.

I frankly wanted more Mass Effect 2 and instead I got mass effect 1.

Without Wrex.

22. somnolentsurfer says:

Given EA’s reasoning for not being on Steam being that they need to sell DLC directly themselves, presumably there’ll be a complete edition on Steam once the last piece is out, right? Right?

23. Koozer says:

I only very recently played ME3, and in preparation I replayed ME1 and 2. ME1 is still far and away the best as an RPG, but ME3 is just outright better than ME2 in every way – the combat’s better, the story’s better, the pacing’s better, the graphicsocity is better. It’s just a shame there was only one new character, and the rest of your team couldn’t have been any duller without having Jacob in there.

On the ending: I didn’t really think it was much worse than DX:HRs, which it seemed to borrow heavily from. Sure it could be better, but the ME series at this point is full of plot holes and nonsensical weirdness anyway.

Oh, and everyone is suddenly gay in ME3. Suddenly every attempt at friendship ends in awkward sexual advances and rejection. Great writing there Bioware.

24. mariejanet657 says:

If you think Gary`s story is really great…, 5 weeks ago my girlfriend’s mum basically also earnt $7956 grafting twelve hour’s a week from there house and the’re classmate’s mother`s neighbour has been doing this for 4 months and easily made over $7956 parttime on line. apply the advice at this address… http://www.bit90.com

• fuggles says:

I though Gary’s story was alright, although the ending was terrible and a huge disappointment. I assume with all that money he made he doesn’t need to be releasing crow-barred in DLC though.

25. kament says:

This is probably the worst thing I’ve read here. It belongs somewhere in Youtube comments, really.

26. askarr says:

Unless they’ve reversed their policy on ‘the one true Bioware Shepard really thinks this, whatever you the player might have had in mind’, also known as practically no dialogue choices (relative to the original) & bizarre dream sequences, I’m not especially interested.

It feels like a petty nitpick, but whilst we’re wading through bitterness alley, ME4 can’t possibly be Shepard Bought A Zoo, as it won’t feature Shepard; though I am suddenly finding myself expecting a Hearthfire-like add-on where Shepard funds a series of pointless buildings, each with a signature ‘I’m Commander Shepard and this is my favourite zoo on the Citadel’.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’m Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite cover-based dating sim.

(Props to LionsPhil for the most delightful description of the Mass Effect franchise ever put into words)

28. Jondan says:

What if Wrex is dead, as he is in my Renegade Rampage playthrough?

29. yfrdtyid says:

Lillian. I just agree… Melvin`s postlng is really cool… on thursday I got BMW sincee geting a check for $7621 this munth and even more than $10,000 last munth. with-out any doubt it’s the coolest job Ive ever had. I started this 6 months ago and almost straight away began to bring home over $83… per-hr. I use details from here,, http://www.Cloud65.com

30. Corrupt_Tiki says:

All this talk about the Crappy anti-climatic ending has made me really not want to play ME3. I rather think my Good samaritan femshep is on her never-ending space journey from ME2.

Too bad I feel this way about ME3, I really, really enjoyed ME1 & ME2. The first one more than the second, but they were both pretty good.

31. TheBarringGaffner says:

Y’know, I think Shepard buying a zoo might be a good plot for Mass Effect 4. I think Bioware’s biggest problem lately is that their writing lacks focus and the plot has no direction. They should try something a little less grand scale and more human, I think.

• Crazy Horse says:

Shepard’s Big Day at The Zoo.

His ice cream melts and the crocodiles conspire factiously.