Beta Not Cry: Crysis 3 Open Beta Begins

By Nathan Grayson on January 30th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

It's a jungle out there. And in here. Really, we're just dealing with a lot of jungle.

It is a wonderful week for insanely inventive videogames. The long-awaited Antichamber (which I’m splattering my feeble brain against right now) lands on Thursday, and 2013′s Global Game Jam just forced a hand inside its own sternum and produced a glistening goldmine of bloody great games. But in between all that, I know I’ll be needing a slightly more traditional palette cleanser. Enter Crysis 3′s open beta. Men get shot, and they neither spray you with chunky metaphysical sophistries nor make you suddenly aware of the faintly fluttering organ that could stop sustaining your life at any given moment. They just, you know, stop shooting back. And so on and so forth. But oh, there are neat powers. And bows. And some – in the grand scheme of shooters – fairly novel modes. Study up on their mysterious ways after the break.

After seeing them in action, Crash Site actually looks a fair deal more interesting than I thought it’d be. On paper, Crytek just made it sound like a hum-drum high-tech take on king of the hill, but the focus on environmental interaction, especially, has me uprooting telephone poles with glee. The giant robot is also a nice touch. I will name him Francis.

The beta’s running right now, and will continue to do so until February 12th. So no rush, but kind of a rush. You should be able to find the download in the demo section of Origin, so hop (multiple stories in the air, using magical nano powers) to it. Also, this is Crysis we’re talking about, so you might want to update your graphics card drivers. Happy hunting!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Velko says:

No woman no Crysis

2. f1x says:

Crash site looks like it could be awesome fun indeed,

overall, if its just something more like Crysis 1 multiplayer I’m in

• BobbyDylan says:

It’s not bad. I played a few rounds last night and it was a giggle. I don’t think I’ll be playing it for long, or it would become the timesink that BF3 was for me. But it’s a giggle.

I’m more interested in the SP anyway.

• Cytrom says:

Crysis 1 MP was basically Battlefield with nanosuits… this is still just CoD with nanosuits. Looks pretty much the same as crysis 2′s MP to me with a (very) few extra gimmicks and new maps.

3. JB says:

Crysis me out

4. Xzi says:

Gonna get my fix of this game in now, because there’s no way I’m spending money on an Origin exclusive.

Besides, the multiplayer will be full of cheaters six months after release, and CryTek will do nothing about it, as was the case for Crysis 2. Have to give some incentive to buy the next EA-coaxed sequel, after all.

• suibhne says:

That doesn’t describe Crysis 2 at all.

In Crysis 2, the game was full of cheaters about 2 weeks after launch, not 6 months.

5. PearlChoco says:

Gave me some AVP3 vibes. Dunno why.

• brulleks says:

The jungle temples, the chunky graphics, the lack of any innovative gameplay?

6. Eukatheude says:

“You need to have Origin installed to participate in the beta”

• konrad_ha says:

Welp, so much for my interest in this.

• Screamer says:

WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

Oh no, I have to install something that is exactly the same as Steam but with a slightly different UI, woe is me!

• Cytrom says:

I didn’t wanted to install steam either, but had to roll with it, I’m not about to install another useless shovelware to run in the background while I play my games.

(Actually I did just that during battlefield 3… and I wasn’t pleased with it at all, for various legitimate reason, and because I hate EA with a passion, but again because of poor personal experiences with their products and support, and the general awful effect of their activity on the whole gaming industry)

• Sic says:

That was basically my reaction as well.

Origin = not playing it.

• Arglebargle says:

Yep. Me too. Origin, no go. I have more friends and acquaintences who’ve been screwed over at EA than I have fingers and toes. (and that’s with the usual count) Not supporting them, or their little dog either…..

7. DarkLiberator says:

For AMD users, I recommend installing the new 13.2 Beta 3 drivers for Crysis 3. Just a mention.

8. Crimsoneer says:

Classic Francis.

9. msing says:

You also need a dx11 card to launch the game. So anything less than the hd5000 series, like my HD4850, can’t even launch the game even though it can probably run it, as it has done every past game in the series.

• Jenga says:

If it weren’t for that game launch check to see if you are using a DX11 card I bet it would run just fine with some minor tweaks, this feels like they’re just doing this to try to force people into upgrading their video card.

For Crysis 1 they made a big deal about features that they said would only work if you ran the game on Vista using DX10 and it turned out that you could enable those features by editing a few config files under XP.

The mycrysis forums already show off that the game has low res textures and no DX11 tessellation enabled, oh but it’s only a beta version lol

10. Flukie says:

I enjoy the Hunter mode quite a bit, although I have had weird frame rate dips as soon as I get involved with close quarters combat latest nvidia beta drivers too.

Hope this is sorted by release.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s like a jungle sometimes.. gaming, that is. Thankfully we have our trusty guides from RPS.

12. The Random One says:

Poor Nathan. He thinks this game is a simple shooter, when in fact it is biting, thought-provoking SATIRE. About… uh, let’s say social networking.

13. phelix says:

I’d rather spend my time blasting Jappie planes in War Thunder, which incidentally also went open beta a few days ago.

14. mehteh says:

another console focus shooter. color me bored and unchallenged. Its got all the typical consolitis problems, ridiculously huge HUD, annoying vignetting when shot, slow console shooter gameplay and mechanics, fat weapons, etc. Crysis 3 looks pretty, but thats all its got going for itself to stand out

15. Chubzdoomer says:

Looks just as mediocre and forgettable as I thought it would.

16. mseifullah says:

After playing a few rounds, I can say that with all the settings turned to Very High and using any of the SMAA (sub-pixel morphological anti-aliasing) settings, it’s kind of hard to believe that you’re not looking at something that’s pre-rendered most of the time. It’s an extremely pretty game.

Also, the Hunter mode which sounded absolutely awful to me on paper and via trailers, turned out to be surprisingly fun. Probably on the account that the rounds are only 2 minutes (or less) long.

Edit: I’ve got to agree with others though in that the UI, HUD, and FOV all feel really oversized and cluttered. I’m sure I wouldn’t mind if I were on a couch playing on a TV, but I’m not.