Chivalrous Developments: Chivalry’s Splendid Free Update

By Jim Rossignol on February 1st, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

We love a bit of Torn Banner’s elegant game of violent multiplayer dismemberment, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, and that romance is made all the sweeter by the gifts it keeps bestowing upon us. The first content update, which has now arrived, brings new game modes, and their relevant maps, as well as a bunch of new environments for the existing game. (And frankly, they look gorgeous.) Then there are new weapons, and a bunch of game tweaks, from being able to swing your weapon differently, to blood splatters on the ground. It’s a wealth of bonus stuff for those of you awash in the unattached parts of your digital enemies.

Get your eyes plucked out as a warning to other games by the latest trailer, below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. P4p3Rc1iP says:

I never feel like screenshots and videos do justice to the actual brutal, violent, chaotic dance of death this game makes you feel while playing.

Love it!

• Wreckdum says:

Game is amazing. I bought it on launch but didn’t start playing until all my friends downloaded it on the free weekend. Now they all own it and we decapitate each other into the wee hours of the night.

• Ruffian says:

Oh, for sure, games is hella fun. Me and mine have been doing the same! :) Still cracks me up how often same-team decapitations seem to happen on some maps, lol. The objective modes are pretty amazing too, “Smash the gates and kill the King!” doesn’t get much more epic than that.

2. Clavus says:

At first I didn’t like the game, but then I stopped playing archer and gave my all to the vanguard class. Suddenly the game opened up as one of the most fun and challenging decapitation simulators that I’ve ever played.

• Sic says:

Just wait until you discover the Knight.

• RoAE says:

and then when you become really skilled you suddenly try man-at-arms and go, “pfft! WTF! Why did I never see how awesome this class is?!”

3. Bweahns says:

Game is unplayable for me since the patch. Unplayable in the sense that I can play the game but instead of having fun I experience high levels of frustration. Performance is way down with massive fps drops, weapon attacks feint for no reason, I get constant skipping which feels like lag but isn’t, the alternate swings allow infinite swing combos and often you randomly get a regular swing instead of an alternate.

They also nerfed my beloved Maul vs Man at Arms. The only way to one shot him now is with an overhead to the bean which you will never get on a competent man at arms.

Patch seems rushed to me, there are also new bugs relating to escaping from selection menus in game along with weapons showing no range and having bright backrounds in the interface. It was nice of them to keep their January deadline but sadly the game is no fun to play in it’s new state.

• Rovac says:

I thought maul is crazily overpowered in the right hands. I remember seeing a video where everyone is just decimated by it.

And while you mention Maul vs Man at Arms, can I direct you to a TGS youtube video where they try the duel match. The semi final kind of tense

• Skeletor68 says:

Yeah that TB v Criken match was tense. I think Criken got distracted trying to insult TB in olde englishe. He wrecked everyone with that hammer last time though!

• RoAE says:

Maul is slow, great for killing newer or over-aggressive opponents, but a sword in 2 hands will parry a maul all day.

• El_Emmental says:

I do think they’ll patch it up soon, they already released hotfixes for more serious bugs (regarding console admin commands left open to anyone by mistake), the rest will come in the next week.

If you’ve got enough time, you might want to document (full description, context + settings, screenshots, and if possible video footage) some of less-known bugs you encountered.

It’s worth it: at least half the devs are reading and posting in the Bug Reports category ( http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=87 )(EDIT: the forum is down at the moment), they’ve got (at least) 1 QA member participating, and the moderators are often seen escalating (transmitting) any new problem/bug directly to the devs.

• Bweahns says:

I have complete faith things will get ironed out in time.

A suggestion I posted awhile back seemed to contribute to a buff to the bearded axe. They have upped its speed and I believe given it a damage buff to its overhead. It is now actually a consideration over my beloved Poleaxe.

I agree the Maul has the potential to own. It definitely owns vs newer players, it also owns outside of 1v1 situations where you can crump people unawares. I just think in a 1v1 vs a Man at Arms there isn’t much point, myswell just get your falchion or broadsword out.

• Roarik says:

I and some of my buddies also experienced insane FPS drop after installing the patch, along with graphical glitches and the inability to Alt + Tab to Steam. Re-installing the game solves all these issues, so I guess they got something wrong with the patching process of existing installs.

4. Mario Figueiredo says:

I hate everyone who is playing this game right now. Die!

• Grey Ganado says:

That’s the spirit!

• dE says:

Don’t worry, judging from my experience with the “community”, you’d fit right in. Although hate might be too small a word to describe their level of nerdrage.

• Jools says:

Are we, uh, playing the same game? This game has one of the best and friendliest communities I’ve seen in an online game in a while. The last time I saw someone seriously raging on a server, they got driven off by everyone (including their own teammates) relentlessly hunting them down. It was hilarious.

• Astroman says:

You must be playing something else. Every time I try to play Chivalry it’s nothing but angry people raging, insulting and trolling. And not in a cute olde english way.

5. Christo4 says:

I really like this game. Haven’t had any problems since the patch, i actually think it works a bit better. I usually play as a Knight myself or an ocassional SPARTAN!!!! (archer with javelin i mean).

6. Shooop says:

…Did they speed up the weapon swings a bit?

Did they?! If they did I’m reinstalling this yesterday.

7. Rovac says:

Have they do anything about the flail? Last time I checked it’s too effective

• Thurgret says:

I can’t get the flail to do any damage whatsoever, no matter how hard I try.

Also, most of my new weapons show as having a reach of 0, which is weird.

8. derbefrier says:

Tried the new duel mode last night and had a blast. I had been playing other games and forgot I even owned this. I had forgotten how much fun this game is and the new duel mode is perfect. Being able to control the left and right swing is awesome and allows for much better countering. Haven’t had any issues with bugs or anything either. Great update for q great game.

9. Juan Carlo says:

I really liked this when I played on the free weekend. I only played 3 hours, but it was fun. The team attack/defend maps were awesome.

I didn’t buy it, but I plan on it at some point.

10. rb2610 says:

YAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH…

…AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH….

…RRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH…

11. kstress71 says:

Oh man, I wish I hadn’t seen this while still at work. Now I’m going to be useless all afternoon, shaking in anticipation of getting home to dive into this content.

12. Bweahns says:

They are attacking from our rear!

13. grenadeh says:

I’m not understanding the use of the phrase “Splendid free update.” The game released with very little content as far as multiplayer shooters go. Of course the update is free, it’s a content patch. Granted the game isn’t that expensive, there shouldn’t be any charge for anything unless it’s a major update, like a traditional expansion.

14. grenadeh says:

FOR AGATHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

15. furikaju says:

up to I saw the paycheck 4 $6323, I didn’t believe …that…my neighbours mother had been trully making money parttime on their apple laptop.. there dads buddy started doing this 4 less than and a short time ago cleard the mortgage on there cottage and bourt themselves a Toyota. I went here, http://www.Cloud65.com