Toy Boat, Toi Boit – Paradox Debuts Leviathan: Warships

By Nathan Grayson on February 1st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

LEVIATHAN. The word is physically bigger than the so-called Leviathans in this picture. Hmmm.

You know, for all their Poseidon-defying majesty, there aren’t actually that many games about boats. I mean, sure, there are some sims, and World of Warships is on the way at some point, but the most recent high profile bout of virtual Boat-Fu that springs to my mind is, um, Assassin’s Creed III. And those parts were super great! The rest? Not so much. But still, we need more boat games. That is my decree. And Paradox, ever the opportunistic purveyor of digital delights, has decided to heed my call. With itsy bitsy baby toy boats. They’re BIG baby boats, though. Somehow. I mean, the name Leviathan: Warships doesn’t really conjure up images of rubber duckies and bubble wand adventures, now does it? But then, it also doesn’t really make me think of turn-based strategy, even though that’s exactly what it is.

So, first things first: Paradox is developing this one with a big eye toward cross-platform play between PC, mobile, and tablets. Wait, don’t leave! It actually sounds kind of promising. There’s both co-op and competitive options, and all of them span each platform in whatever configuration you’d like. Plus, saves transfer between PC, Mac, iPad, and Android, kept afloat by the gentle sea of clouds that now envelops all our existences. But how does it play? Well, kinda like this:

“Leviathan: Warships is a strategic action game where players can build and customize their own fleet of warships to play with or against their friends. Play together in the co-op campaign missions against the growing Marauder threat or fight through special Challenge Missions with your friends. If you rather want to test your admiral capabilities, you can fight against your friends or foes in multiplayer skirmishes across 14 different maps.”

So it sounds like a pretty standard selection of options, though I worry it could end up slightly barebones – especially given Paradox’s recent track record in that respect. I do like the dedication to true, non-Windows-8-gated interaction between devices, though. Also, boats! Have I mentioned that I like boats? Oh, wait. OK, I just noticed that Leviathan’s official tagline is “Ship Just Got Real.”

Maybe I don’t like boats anymore.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. pakoito says:

I like the design and mechanics, I just hate the naval battles theme ;____;

Will try and play anyway, it’s going to be F2P.

• Triplanetary says:

Who the hell hates naval battles? (I mean, you, obviously. I was using a rhetorical device.)

2. Mrs Columbo says:

This floats my boat.

• Squishpoke says:

It’s all sink or swim from this point onwards.

• Arathain says:

I’m not sure about getting this one. Maybe I should wait for a sail.

• Gap Gen says:

Luckily for you this doesn’t seem to be developed by Ironclad.

• wolfinexile says:

I dunno about you but I can’t wait to sea this game ship.

• Fanbuoy says:

Me neither. I’ll devour everything Paradox throws at me. I’m a total fanbuoy. (I can’t believe I got to use that one!!!)

• DarkFenix says:

Well you should keep an eye out for beta quays then.

• squareking says:

I like the cut of this game’s jib.

• Llewyn says:

Yes, it’s good to see the TBS boom continue.

• yurusei says:

It’ll definitely pick up steam once released. I see a wave of new fans.

• Bweahns says:

I think many will soon bow to Paradox after they play this game and no longer be so stern. Paradox can truly be prowd about this game. Propeller.

3. frightlever says:

I used to play a sea battle game on my BBC B. Can’t remember the name of it.

Ironclads is a fairly well-established ship combat franchise which goes in a very different direction:

4. Gurrah says:

‘But still, we need more boat games.’ – absolutely! Naval battles in Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander were amazing. Can’t wait for World of Warships.

• Sc0r says:

It also looks kind of like Supreme Commander

• Gap Gen says:

I heard fairly luke-warm things about Arctic Circle, which is a shame as it looks like an interesting concept.

• KDR_11k says:

Stellar Impact was pretty much naval combat IN SPACE. Combat is about broadsides and slowly turning behemoths, of course with some active abilities strewn in. It’s a MOBA but more accessible than DotA and such because there’s no direct level grinding, the tech level goes up by holding onto capturable objectives and there are no items to buy, just direct upgrades to ship aspects and the faction in general.

5. Christo4 says:

Does Sins of a Solar Empire count as a boat simulator? Because they pretty much are boats… Just in space!

6. f1x says:

Paradox got the right direction in terms of launching “original” games, I just wish they could put more effort into every game

A game of Dwarves could’ve been great if they actually invested more on it

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

No oceans! We do have a sea, though, apparently.

8. solidsquid says:

Annoyed they stole your original tag line for the article?

9. peanut says:

The ‘Pirates!’ games always had a fair bit of boaty content.

10. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I think any game which has mobile things with turrets is automatically superior to a game which does not have mobile things with turrets.

If you care to dispute me, bring your finest facts and we shall have facticuffs.

• Rich says:

Indeed. There’re a whole load of sports games out there that I have no interest in. If they included mobile things with turrets, then my level of interest would increase substantially.

11. maninahat says:

The problem with most naval games is that they like to remove you from the action, and put you in a high altitude, standard strategy set up. Personally, I prefer the more immediate tactics in naval simulators, like Silent Hunter III, which actually put you in the damn boat. That way, you get a sense of peril when being fired upon, and a sense of satisfaction when you hear your own guns firing about you. I might try out AC3 just for that opportunity in the naval sections. What I really want though, is to be in the Admiral’s seat on a major flag ship.

12. Koozer says:

TBS? Sold! I’ll take anything I can get.

(I don’t have a problem, I can stop pressing End Turn any time I like!)

13. Lev Astov says:

Blah! Everything about this is right up my alley, except that it’s turn based. I’m horrible at turn based strategy games. I’ll still give it a go, though.

14. Reapy says:

This reminded me immediately of the “Leviathans” game I stumbled upon on board game geek. I thought it would make an interesting pc game actually.

I saw this session report on the site that I really enjoyed looking through to get a feel for the game.

15. Master_of_None says:

For some reason the terrain/water graphics look to me like what the Godus team is going for.

16. Joshua Northey says:

I hope there is construction and resource management. Those always add a lot to light combat strategy games for me.

17. Vercinger says: