McDownload McDroid’s McDemo

By Alec Meer on February 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Not to be confused with its Aberdeenshire cousin MacDroid

Remember McDroid? A super-cheerful action-strategy, tower defencey thing which seems to exist purely so people can have a good time. It’s been available to buy as fairly content-rich beta for a little while now (full release happens this Spring), and is also doing the Steam Greenlight community lapdance at the moment, so if you’re undecided about taking action on either of those, you should probably play the demo.

You can grab the 60MB demo (goodness, 3D games being that small seems impossible by today’s 10GB+ standards) from here, as well as buy the beta (which upgrades to the full version upon release) from here, or alternatively from Desura.

McDroid’s also doing a four-day flash sale on IndieGameStand, down to $10 or pay what you want from its usual $12 until this Saturday.

Here’s a recent video, because otherwise this post is TOO SHORT, and that means John and Jim would send me to bed without dinner again.

Level 8 – Abandoned Lab – Desura

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Donncha O Caoimh says:

I bought this a few weeks ago and enjoyed playing it. Definitely worth a few quid on indiegamestand!

2. Tei says:

Looks great.

Do this game runs on the Raspberry Pi? (j/k)

DrAmateurScience says:

I don’t get out of bed for less than 5 Gb.

4. flopjacks says:

Was drawn in by the graphics and bought this during a sale on Desura a few weeks ago. It really is beautiful and is great fun, the direct control of your robot works out great, and it gives a great arcade feel to the tower defense game. The time spent loping back and forth between towers to repair and upgrade plays into the strategy, too. I’ve been looking forward to each update as it comes out.

That said, it is a very small game. They’re apparently making all the maps almost from scratch, with a cumbersome pipeline of Maya and Unity, and aren’t planing to include more than 10 total (and I think that’s including the 2 tutorial maps). It’s a shame, because each map is terribly inventive and wonderfully handcrafted, but over quickly. Each level brings lots of new ideas and unique assets, but if they had been able to instead stretch or even repeat those same ideas and assets over a couple of levels it wouldn’t have been repetitive, just added more enjoyable playtime.

The later maps seem to be getting larger and larger, but I suspect the final released game will be getting a lot of people complaining about finishing up the game in less than an hour. They do include additional difficulty levels for replaying the main missions over again, but that’s not really the same thing as having a new map and it is a pretty small pool to choose from.

Still, it’s a great little game, and with IndieGameStand’s $1+ offer you really need to try it out.

• Belsameth says:

The challenges are actually variations on the same map, not just the same map but more difficult. Give em a shot :)

It’s still no Skyrim, obviously, but that together with Coop (which is always more fun!) I feel like I got awesome value for my money!

• pysiu says:

I admit, the amount of maps was the thing that kept me from purchase for a little while, before i played this game (well, that was before the IGS sale :))
      Since that time i spent countless hours ingame solo (i like grinding diamonds :P), certainly more then many AAA games like Far Cry 3, and i`m starting to enjoy coop mode.

BTW, i don`t believe it is possible to get all the upgrades in an hour and finishing the available maps in 1 hour at 1st playthrough or at any playthrough… i honestly don`t think so ;)

5. MadTinkerer says:

“A missile launcher is perfect for a social gathering of locals”

After that I went straight over to Greenlight to see if I could vote for it. And I could! I even “favorited” it! Hope this gets Greenlit!

EDIT: “I’m sure, actually, that you are going to do better at this level. It’s really easy to manage, actually: you just uhhh… think more than I do. Haha!”

I may have to buy this game twice.

6. Velko says:

“Cheerfulaction” should totally be a word.

7. Gnoupi says:

I was also drawn to the game by the graphics and the arcade feel, but what kept me the most is the way enemies behave.

You have enemies which are feeding on strawberries, making them grow and pop more enemies, which is already something interesting. But even more than that, you have enemies which are actually harvesting strawberries, installing themselves on the resource place, and breeding a lot more enemies.

So it changes a bit the “I’m defending passively and they come crashing on my towers”. In this case, you have to defend aggressively, or they will become stronger.

Really nice game so far, but it could use more content, for sure. We’ll see how it will develop with time.